Starting May 11th...Scared and afraid.

mcki0133

Hi Everyone -- I'm starting Whole30 on Monday, May 11th...I'm an eleven year cancer survivor who has always struggled with weight issues along with allergies and now, my husband and I are facing infertility issues. I desperately need to get healthy, fast, and a friend at work is a week into her second Whole30 journey and has talked me into joining. In order to have children and stop the everlasting symptoms and side effects of the cancer that burdened my life years ago, I need to change my whole thought process with food and learn to love myself again.

I'm scared. I'm afraid. I'm nervous. I'm worried. I've never been able to stick with something longer than a week -- so, please be with me on this journey and send encouragement that it's only 30 days....and I can do anything for 30 because the benefits will be outstanding. In the Whole30 introduction, it said that this "isn't Hard." But, it is scary and I've conquered a lot of "harder" things...so, any helpful advice would be great!

Thanks,

- mcki0133

• Administrators

It can be scary, for sure.  But you can totally do this.  It's how your body is designed to work so once you get all the toxic, inflammatory residues from subpar foods out of your system, you may be surprised how simple it is to follow.  Because you won't be fighting against yourself.  No restriction, no ongoing hunger, no counting/measuring/weighing.  Just eating.  Real, whole, nutrient dense foods in quantities that fit YOU as a unique human being.

I would like to say though that you may want to make a realistic list of things that you want to see improvement in.  As a cancer survivor and allergy sufferer and infertile, you probably have more than a few things going on internally that will take more than 30 days to see improvement in.  Not to say you won't see anything but sometimes, with underlying health challenges, it takes longer than the first 30 days to really make significant change.  Just keep your sights set on a reasonable target.  ;)

You can do this and we are all here for you to help you make it through!  :D

I've conquered a lot of "harder" things...so, any helpful advice would be great!

Thanks,

- mcki0133

You certainly have! But that said, while the Whole30 isn't as hard as some of the other things you've experienced, you might find it to be as much work - and take as much strong-heartedness.

I'm glad you have a friend who has gone through an entire W30 before and can help you know what to expect & be a great resource and encouragement.

I have three recommendations for you: 1) take each thing as it comes, and cravings and scary things in 5-minute increments if you need to break it down like that. Most cravings & automatic responses go away after about 3 minutes (I think, if I'm remembering correctly from the Whole30 book). It can really help. 2) if you are able, subscribe to the Whole30 Daily. There are some worksheets that are part of the subscription that are really helping me think through what I want from my W30, and making me think through the reasons why I want it - which is helping me stay strong though the challenges. 3) Jump into the community here. There are a ton of fun, friendly, helpful people who have a LOT of experience and insight. Take advantage.

All the best!! What a great decision you have made for your life, family, and health.

-Espie

Hi There!

Okay - I am not saying a whole 30 isn't challenging but what I am going ask you is to face your fears and anxieties.

What are you scared of?  You are eating whole real food.  Nothing to be scared of here. There is a learning curve obviously, and yes it might be a new way of eating for you.  But we do not talk about failure here.  What we do talk about is choices.  There are no "bad" foods or "good" foods.  Just foods that either make you more healthy or less healthy.  What you are doing is trying to eliminate the foods that make you less healthy.

What are you afraid of?  Yes I know it is the fear of the unknown for many.  But this unknown is a friendly area. Come to the forum where you can get support from many people who have done this before you.  You have a question or need to be talked down from a sugar binge - come here and we will support you.

What are you nervous of?  Listen we all make some newbie mistakes in the beginning.  Don't stress about it and don't let perfection be the enemy of good.  Yes - by all means follow the rules of the whole 30 as they are written, but don't feel frightened if you are having an off day - meaning you meal quantities are a bit "off" and you're feeling hungry.  We do expect a learning curve. 

I came here will little to no expectation other than I wanted to feel better.  I was frightened and excited all at once.   And I have felt better and then some. And here I am - almost 3 years later. 

It's okay to be nervous, I know I was when I started on this journey. Prior to this I had tried many different diets, and of course failed miserably. I was terrified I'd fail again. Today is Day 14, and can I honestly this is the best thing I have done for myself! The first week or so can be challenging......however, knowing what to expect made it a whole lot easier for me to get through it. My biggest piece of advice is to not over think this......it is really not as overwhelming as I initially thought. Now that I've found some compliant sausages, etc., shopping is far easier. My fridge is fully stocked with veggies and at least one or two containers of leftovers for lunches or when I know I'm going to be rushed.  

Keep positive!!!  You can do this :)

You've faced a lot in your life, and when I read your posts, I can see your strength and resilience shining through. Focus on each day as it arrives, and take an inventory of how you feel each morning. Come here and post it. From what I've read, so far, people notice improvements in health right away, and that keeps the motivation high. We can do this. :)

You nailed it - scared, afraid and nervous - congratulations on making the decision and starting - as has been said previously you are strong and have faced other challenges successfully I wish you all the very best and feel privileged to be taking the journey with you. :) I am also scared afraid and nervous and maybe a little skeptical too :)

Thank you for all the support! I'm on day 3 and I'm doing good...preparation is key! I even made through Girls night last night without a single slip or cheat! I feel better than I did when I was scared before starting...but, after being in a couple days, I am more confident and know I can push on!

Thank you for all the support! I'm on day 3 and I'm doing good...preparation is key! I even made through Girls night last night without a single slip or cheat! I feel better than I did when I was scared before starting...but, after being in a couple days, I am more confident and know I can push on!

Hooray for you! Nice going!

Archived