Janine's Whole30 Log

Janine Costanzo

Day 17! Today my throat was feeling a little scratchy, so I had a cup of green tea between breakfast and lunch. It seems to be better now, which is good.

* Breakfast - Two pastured eggs scrambled with onions, mushrooms, and spinach. Side of half of a sun-dried tomato chicken sausage and half of an avocado.

* Lunch - Leftover beef taco soup made from homemade broth (from grass-fed beef bones), grass-fed ground beef, zucchini, peppers, and onions. Topped with avocado, cilantro, and a little lime juice.

* Snack - Handful of olives.

* Dinner - Halftime chili with grass-fed ground beef, homemade taco seasoning, and broccoli instead of beans.

Didn't have time to post last night, so two days' worth of food here again.

Since late this afternoon I've had a pretty bad neck/headache. It comes and goes, but when it's there it's pretty painful. I've gone the whole month so far without this happening (it happens somewhat often to me), so it's a little sad that it's popped up now. Normally I'd take Advil, but I looked at the ingredients and it has stuff like corn syrup in it. :( I'm hoping I'll feel better after sleeping it off.

Day 18

* Breakfast - Two pastured eggs over-easy with spinach. Side of onions, mushrooms, and half of a sun-dried tomato chicken sausage, plus half an avocado.

* Lunch - Leftover beef taco soup made from homemade broth (from grass-fed beef bones), grass-fed ground beef, zucchini, peppers, and onions. Topped with avocado and cilantro.

* Dinner - Grass-fed beef burger and grass-fed beef hot dog with tomato and avocado dipped in a mixture of homemade ketchup and mayo. Side salad of mixed greens, tomatoes, strawberries, olives, avocado, and canned salmon, all topped with homemade balsamic vinaigrette.

Day 19

* Breakfast - Two pastured eggs over-easy. Side of onions, mushrooms, spinach, and half of a sun-dried tomato chicken sausage, plus half an avocado and some berries.

* Lunch - Leftover grass-fed sirloin steak with mocha rub, covered with leftover chicken gravy. Side salad of mixed greens, tomatoes, strawberries, olives, avocado, and canned salmon, all topped with homemade balsamic vinaigrette. Side of some berries.

* Snack - Package of roasted seaweed.

* Dinner - Leftover halftime chili with grass-fed ground beef, homemade taco seasoning, and broccoli instead of beans.

* Snack - Some berries.

Day 20! Two-thirds of the way through.

After waking up in the middle of the night last night with my neck/head really hurting, and as a result taking Advil, I'm feeling mostly better today. My neck is still pretty stiff but at least it's not really hurting too much. Hopefully it loosens up soon.

* Breakfast - Three pastured eggs over-easy. Side of onions, mushrooms, and spinach, plus half an avocado.

* Lunch Part 1 - Thai red curry with organic chicken, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, onions, and butternut squash.

* Lunch Part 2 - Canned tuna with homemade mayo.

* Dinner - Spaghetti squash topped with a grass-fed ground beef tomato sauce with broccoli, zucchini, peppers, squash, carrots, onions, and garlic in it.

Day 21 is done! My neck is feeling mostly better today, which is good.

* Breakfast - Three pastured eggs over-easy. Side of onions, mushrooms, zucchini, peppers, and spinach, plus half an avocado.

* Lunch - Leftover Thai red curry with organic chicken, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, onions, and butternut squash.

* Snack - Mixed berry unsweetened applesauce.

* Dinner - Deconstructed pizza (recipe from ISWF): grass-fed ground beef with onions topped with zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, olives, and homemade pesto sauce.

Day 22, yay! Almost at the end now.

* Breakfast - Three pastured eggs scrambled with onions, mushrooms, zucchini, peppers, and spinach. Side of half an avocado.

* Lunch - Leftover Thai red curry with organic chicken, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, onions, and butternut squash.

* Snack - Some carrots and guacamole.

* Dinner Part 1 - Slow cooker roast pastured chicken and gravy, side of butternut squash puree with roasted garlic (recipe from ISWF).

* Dinner Part 2 - Some berries topped with coconut milk.

Day 23. I was out in the sun (at a fair) all day, and didn't eat any fair food! I consider that a pretty big accomplishment. We made sure to set ourselves up for success by eating lunch before going out (instead of trying to find food when we got there).

* Breakfast - Three pastured eggs over-easy. Side of onions, mushrooms, zucchini, peppers, and spinach, plus half an avocado.

* Lunch - From Chipotle - carnitas over lettuce with pico de gallo and guacamole.

* Dinner - Leftover slow cooker roast pastured chicken and gravy. Side of garlic cauliflower mashed fauxtatoes with pieces of a grass-fed beef hot dog and gravy on it. Also a few pieces of cantaloupe (not pictured).

Day 24! More neck aching today, though not as bad as before. Not sure what's up with that.

* Breakfast - Two pastured eggs over-easy. Side of half of a sun-dried tomato chicken sausage, onions, mushrooms, zucchini, peppers, and spinach, plus half an avocado.

* Lunch - Shrimp over zoodles with a sauce of tomatoes, avocados, and basil. Side of some carrots and guacamole.

* Snack - Some cantaloupe.

* Dinner - Leftover spaghetti squash topped with a grass-fed ground beef tomato sauce with broccoli, zucchini, peppers, squash, carrots, onions, and garlic in it. Side of leftover garlic cauliflower mashed fauxtatoes with pieces of a grass-fed beef hot dog and gravy on it.

Day 25! Neck is feeling better today. I need to take better care of it.

I can't believe there's only 5 more days to go!

* Breakfast - Two pastured eggs over-easy. Side of half of a sun-dried tomato chicken sausage, onions, mushrooms, zucchini, peppers, and spinach, plus half an avocado.

* Lunch - Salad with mixed greens, peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, avocado, egg, and canned salmon. Topped with homemade balsamic vinaigrette dressing.

* Dinner - Grass-fed beef burger and grass-fed beef hot dog dipped in a mixture of homemade ketchup and mayo. Side salad of mixed greens, tomatoes, strawberries, olives, avocado, and canned salmon, all topped with homemade balsamic vinaigrette. Also side of mashed sweet potatoes with eggs, almonds, and spices.

Glad to hear your neck is feeling better! Any idea what's causing the pain? Woohoo 5 more days! Or is it 4 now? Lol I've lost count and clearly have no idea what today's date is... Either way, we're getting pretty close to the end. Do you have a post-W30 plan? I'm considering extending mine, not sure by how long tho.

I'm not sure exactly, but chronic neck pain is something I've struggled with for quite some time. It's muscle weakness, I think. And I don't have a specific plan for after the Whole30 yet, but I think we're going to try to follow the reintroduction plan that ISWF suggests. i.e. day 1 dairy, day 4 gluten grains, day 7 non-gluten grains, and day 10 legumes. Might change the order, though.

Today was day 26! I had a pretty big lunch, and it kept me full all the way until dinner--I couldn't actually finish all of my dinner because I wasn't hungry enough yet. I think I need to remember to eat bigger lunches so I don't feel the urge to snack during the afternoon.

* Breakfast - Three pastured eggs scrambled with onions, mushrooms, zucchini, peppers, and spinach. Side of half an avocado.

* Lunch - Leftover grass-fed beef burger and grass-fed beef hot dog dipped in a mixture of homemade ketchup and mayo. Side salad of mixed greens, tomatoes, strawberries, olives, avocado, and canned salmon, all topped with homemade balsamic vinaigrette. Also side of mashed sweet potatoes with eggs, almonds, and spices.

* Dinner - Leftover deconstructed pizza: grass-fed ground beef with onions topped with zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, olives, and homemade pesto sauce, all over spaghetti squash.

* Snack - Unsweetened applesauce.

Day 27...only three more days!

* Lunch - Leftover grass-fed beef burger and grass-fed beef hot dog dipped in a mixture of homemade ketchup and mayo. Side of mixed vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes) topped with ghee and garlic powder.

* Dinner - Wild-caught salmon over peppers and olives and topped with a pastured over-easy egg and olive oil. Side of mixed vegetables (zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, peppers, onions, green beans, asparagus) topped with ghee and garlic powder, plus mashed sweet potatoes with eggs, almonds, and spices.

Day 28! We went to a restaurant for dinner since it was a friend's birthday. We called ahead to make sure they could accommodate us, and we were explicit when we ordered that we didn't want our meat or veggies cooked with any oils or seasonings. I brought my own condiments, and it turned out just fine. :)

* Breakfast - Two pastured eggs over-easy. Side of onions, mushrooms, asparagus, and sweet potatoes, plus half an avocado.

* Lunch - Thai red curry with organic chicken, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, peppers, onions, green beans, and butternut squash.

* Snack - Package of roasted seaweed.

* Dinner Part 1 - From BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse - burger with avocado, tomatoes, and lettuce, dipped in homemade ketchip and mayo. Side of zucchini, yellow squash, broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots, all topped with ghee.

* Dinner Part 2 - Canned salmon with homemade balsamic vinaigrette dressing.

Yesterday was Day 29. That means today is the last day, woo!

Here's yesterday's meals:

* Breakfast - Two pastured eggs scrambled with onions, mushrooms, and asparagus. Side of half an avocado.

* Lunch - Leftover Thai red curry with organic chicken, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, peppers, onions, green beans, and butternut squash.

* Dinner - Frittata with grass-fed ground beef, broccoli, spinach, asparagus, and mushrooms, topped with homemade pesto sauce. Side of spaghetti squash with olive oil and garlic powder.

* Snack - Some grapes, tomatoes, and strawberries (no picture).

Yay day 30 is over! Success! :D

My boyfriend and I will be doing the reintroduction stuff during the next 12 days. I'll probably post about it in the Post-Whole30 Log forum.

* Breakfast - One pastured egg scrambled with half of a basil and garlic chicken sausage, zucchini, and spinach. Side of half an avocado.

* Lunch - Leftover frittata with grass-fed ground beef, broccoli, spinach, asparagus, and mushrooms.

* Dinner - From Texas Roadhouse - dry-grilled, plain 8oz sirloin steak, plain sweet potato with ghee and cinnamon, steamed broccoli and carrots with ghee and salt.

Archived