Almost at Whole 90 with good success in weight loss and lower A1C

Pickglen

Hey out there in Whole30 land, this Saturday will be my 90th day on the Whole30 program.  Although I had numerous slips for two weeks while on vacation in Hawaii, I immediately got back on the program for another 30 days once I returned home.  

On February 9th, 2015 I went on the program for one reason - to lower my blood glucose A1C to the normal range.  I'm proud to announce that over the last 85 days I've successfully lowered my blood glucose from 118 to 84.  A1C is normal  and I lost 20 pounds.  I don't have acid reflex anymore and less joint pain in my knees. The program was real hard work and it took extra time to prepare meals but I'm glad to see the results.  I'm also 2nd in weight loss at my local LifeTime Fitness 90 day challenge which I used to motivate me in my goal.   

This Saturday I'll be ready to move into the re-introduction phase with a little trepidation.  Advice?  Glen

On Saturday, May 9th I weighed in for the final Lifetime Fitness 90 Challenge and lost 24 pounds.  This was also my final goal/day for the Whole 30 plan.  However, I'm feeling tired of the Whole 30 restrictions and I'm having a hard time with the fact that I need to now stay on it for at least another 10 days for the reintroduction.  

Although I feel good about my success in reducing my weight and A1C blood sugar, I'm also feeling burned out on the Whole 30.  It's now been over 90 days.  I know I should do the right reintroduction plan but I'm losing my motivation and just want to eat the foods I've been missing for three months.  Today I'm going to reintroduce beans and legumes but I rather reintroduce whole grans and dairy first.  Any suggestions/advice.  Thanks, Glen

• Moderators

You can do reintroductions in any order you wish. The recommended order goes from least likely to cause issues to most likely, but you absolutely can change that.

The important thing is to reintroduce one thing at a time -- gluten containing grains like wheat, for instance -- then go back to whole30 for at least two days, or if you had any kind of reaction like digestive issues, skin rash, cravings, or whatever, you wait until that is cleared up if it takes more than two days. Then you reintroduce whatever is next, like dairy, but regardless of whether you noticed any reaction to the grains, you leave them out until you're completely done with all your reintroductions.

Glen, don't lose your motivation now.  You have the BIG WIN in sight.

For your A1C, switching back and forth between grains/dairy and similar Whole 30 style eating right out of the chute can be an over-saturation of sugars once again.  You have the ability now to create any firm plan and a strategy for yourself that will keep you out of the sharky waters of diabetes.

Gooooo sloooooow with that Reintro.   I am convinced that insulin primes the fat pump.  Dairy plus grains equals fat gain...and it will come back on twice as fast as what it took to take it off.   Adding those two items back too quickly will not help your A1C...no matter how you slate it.

Here's a Whole 30 link that speaks to me.  I hope it will help you, too.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/19872-type-2-diabetes/

TravelPhotoWriter on 16 June 2014 - 08:48 PM

I'm a Type 1 Diabetic for 31 years. For EVERYONE, bread/starches, lactose (dairy sugars), white potatoes, corn, etc increases blood sugar. The only items that keep my glucose even-keeled are Proteins (meat), low-starch veggies (the ones approved on W30), healthy fats, and sparing low-sugar fruits (like berries, NOT like mangos or bananas).  No amount of avoiding these items temporarily will have them break down any differently when they are consumed.  If you want great #s to continue, your great habits need to continue.

Personally, I "triage" things that up my glucose. Example: mashed potatoes are absolutely NOT worth it to me, so I don't eat them, EVER. A fantastic small dish of gelato while walking the streets of Italy, YES PLEASE!  & I just take a little extra insulin to compensate for the spike from sugar and milk. I never drink sweet beverages (lemonade other than made with stevia, regular soda, glasses of juice, "sport drinks," etc), as none of them are "worth it" to me. 

The book It Starts With Food (a.k.a. ISWF) goes into some pretty eye-opening description of what dairy does to blood sugar! Yikes, I didn't know when I was slamming quarts of it the years before my diagnosis....

Archived