What's for breakfast - Help

lcs75

G'Day,

just gone through (eaten) my Day 6 brekkie and I am bored with my brekkie!!! I actually left some of it :(

Main parts of my brekkie: ground beef, eggs, avocado with different veg - today I had red cabbage. If I have left-overs from my dinner, I have that for lunch. When I look at the meals I am eating, they all look pretty much the same, so I need a shake up in my routine. It might be that the sugar dragon is roaring, because all I can think of are pancakes and banana smooties...

What's your favourite breakfast???

My favorite breakfast are Original Joe's which is eggs scrambled with leftover ground meat--we will do extra meat just for this--mushrooms and spinach. I like to add red bell peppers and onions too for change ups. I also love egg bakes--did one last night that was homemade sausage, bell peppers, onions, mushrooms and a pound of chopped collard greens, defrosted and all mixed in 18 beaten eggs and baked in a 9x13 pan and cut into 8 pieces. Hubby and I split that for the week. I also like tuna or egg salad for breakfast scooped up with celery and cherry tomatoes and avocado on the side. I also like a sturdy green salad -- no baby greens here!-- with poached eggs on top, with bits of crispy pork or compliant bacon. I like to take leftover chili, put in an oven safe bowl/individual casserole dish, crack a few eggs on top and bake for about 15 minutes or until the whites are set and the yolk is still runny. Like to do the same with leftover cooked veg topped with eggs. yummy. 

If I want to get fancy, I do an eggs benedict with ghee in my hollandaise and have the poached eggs on thick slices of tomato with smoked salmon or other seafood, or even on thin slices of leftover steak. Good on meat patties too. Course, all is served with plenty of veggies! 

Guest Andria

I might be weird, but when I get bored of my eggs and Applegate Chicken Apple sausage breakfast I crave chopped liverwurst (US Wellness - beef liver, kidney, heart) pan fried in bacon grease with onion, mushrooms, arugula, crumbled bacon and sometimes a chopped apple with a splash of compliant balsamic vinegar.  I also like Well Fed's crispy pan fried sardines with a side of sautéed veggies.  

Our Sunday standby is a cowboy skillet: crumbled chorizo pan fried, sweet potato cubed, make wells in this mixture and crack eggs into the wells then bake until desired doneness. Serve over wilted spinach - because I have to have my greens! - and with avocado slices.  Yum!

Hi there, I am new, I am reading the book now and Breakfast meals are very important for me and my family. Me and my hubby for years and years had the same thing :) kefir and Vector cereal for him and peace of bread and cheese for me, and cup of coffee of course. We dont have much time to make food at 6am...and we'r not use to big breakfast meals - I don't think I can eat this much . I wish the book had the Breakfast ideas and recipes. I am planning to start the Whole 30 June 8th and I hope to find more ideas  before time comes :)

The best approach is to stop thinking of it as breakfast in the traditional sense and start thinking of it as meal one - that way you can have absolutely anything you'd eat at meal two or three for meal one as well. Food prep is a big part of a successful whole30 so if you're stuck for time you can piece together a good breakfast from the proteins/vegs you already have prepared as opposed to cooking from scratch first thing. ANY recipe in the book can be used for 'meal one'.

If you find you can't eat a full template meal at first pack up what's left (in relative portions of protein, fats & veg) to eat later as a mini meal, and then work your way up to a full breakfast.

Eating a full template meal within one hour of wakening is key in getting your hormones back in to whack.

Yes Estella I agree withjcbm start small and increase you'll feel hungry in the morning soon enough

If I could figure out how to post a pic in this id show you our boy!

Breakfast for me now is addition of eggs with some leftover meat veggies or spinach (muffin recipe) and fat

Remember protein fat veg

Good luck on your journey

• 2 weeks later...

hello, new here.  the turkey blueberry muffins sound great but doesn't that go against the 'don't recreate baked goods' rule?      Also I saw a recipe in one of the forums (but now i can't find it) for  I think ground turkey, apples, cinnamon type of scramble/stir fry.  sound familiar to anyone?    thanks!   (I'm on day 3!) 

- Jenn

Yes welcome jenn

You can have any ground meat bacon or Protien with or without eggs (Palmsized) with fat and with veggies and a starch compliant

Mix and match

no recipies tho don't recreate any not compliant

There's a section for cooking also for recipies in the forum

Good luck

• Administrators

hello, new here.  the turkey blueberry muffins sound great but doesn't that go against the 'don't recreate baked goods' rule?      Also I saw a recipe in one of the forums (but now i can't find it) for  I think ground turkey, apples, cinnamon type of scramble/stir fry.  sound familiar to anyone?    thanks!   (I'm on day 3!) 

- Jenn

If they are the ones I'm thinking of, "muffin" is a term used loosely.  If the one you are looking at is protein, eggs and blueberries without any nut or starch flours, you're good to go.  They are more like mini meatloaves.

Also I saw a recipe in one of the forums (but now i can't find it) for  I think ground turkey, apples, cinnamon type of scramble/stir fry.  sound familiar to anyone?    thanks!   (I'm on day 3!) 

- Jenn

Sounds like you're describing the Sunrise Scramble from WellFed2--ground turkey or pork, sunrise spice (a cinnamon based spice blend), sweet potatoes, and diced apples. It's fantastic! I tried substituting ground beef, but the red meat drowns out the spice blend.

As for favorite breakfasts, my favorite on a busy morning is two big handfuls of shredded cabbage, a small handful of shredded sweet potato and  a handful or two of leftover shredded chicken or kalua pork. I toss everything in a skillet with coconut oil, a good hit of salt, and whatever seasonings look interesting that day. Usually it's a big hit of 21 seasoning salute, but sometimes I shake it up with smoked paprika, cumin, and cayenne. I also like green beans in my morning stirfry and sometimes artichoke hearts. Just depends on what I have in the fridge. I also like the gingered silky zucchini soup from Well Fed as part of my morning veggies.

Thanks i will try these! 

The "muffins" were further up in this thread, they did call for coconut flour, but as you said more of a meatloaf.    

I'll go find the sunrise scramble, that sounds like what i was looking for--- something cinnamon/raisin type flavor  (compliant of course)

thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

I love to make crustless quiche.  It changes the presentation of eggs so you sort of feel you're eating something else entirely. You can start with 12 beaten eggs and shred into them whatever you wish that's approved- I put in shredded sweet potato, carrots, zucchini (cheesecloth-strained) and seasonings/herbs. Pour into greased lasagna pan-type dish. 45 minutes at 375 or until edges are brown. Great texture, color, and taste. You can cut them into squares and freeze them. This plus a pre-made turkey sausage patty is my favorite breakfast. When freezing ahead of time, no work except to microwave.

I love "sweet potato hash". I cook 1/2 c egg whites, 1/4 c roasted diced sweet potatoes, and 1/2 diced cooked chicken breast. I add 1/2 c of berries and a cup of green tea or iced black coffee with almond milk and cinnamon. Also, I made baked apples with 4-5 apples thinly sliced and topped with 1 T coconut oil, 1 oz pumpkin seeds, 1 oz walnuts and baked in the oven at 400 for 25 min. I eat it with a side of approved chicken sausage and sweet potatoes. YUMMY!

• Administrators

I love "sweet potato hash". I cook 1/2 c egg whites, 1/4 c roasted diced sweet potatoes, and 1/2 diced cooked chicken breast. I add 1/2 c of berries and a cup of green tea or iced black coffee with almond milk and cinnamon. Also, I made baked apples with 4-5 apples thinly sliced and topped with 1 T coconut oil, 1 oz pumpkin seeds, 1 oz walnuts and baked in the oven at 400 for 25 min. I eat it with a side of approved chicken sausage and sweet potatoes. YUMMY!

I hope you add fat to these? Especially the first one.  Why are you only using egg whites?

I hope you add fat to these? Especially the first one.  Why are you only using egg whites?

When I cooked the chicken I used olive oil to marinate. Do I need to add another fat to the meal? I figured the cooking fat was the meal fat. ;-)

I have a carton of 100% organic egg whites I'm finishing this week. I hated to throw it out since I just bought it on Saturday. I'll eat whole eggs after.

• Administrators

When I cooked the chicken I used olive oil to marinate. Do I need to add another fat to the meal? I figured the cooking fat was the meal fat. ;-)

I have a carton of 100% organic egg whites I'm finishing this week. I hated to throw it out since I just bought it on Saturday. I'll eat whole eggs after.

Gotcha on the eggs.  The cooking fat is generally left behind in the pan.  Don't forget that the fat recs are minimums, you can add more. Assess and see how you feel, is your meal getting you 4-5 hours wihtout being hungry? If so, you're probably fine.  If not, bump the fat and see how that works.

Archived