I'm on day 9 of whole 30 and so I haven't cheated yet, but on days like today I've been eating a LOT of fat to substitute my sugar cravings. I had a half a bag of cashews, four tablespoons of cashew butter, a can of coconut milk and an avocado in addition to my usual cooking fats.

My biggest goal with the whole 30 is weight loss, but on days like this, would it hinder weight loss?

What do you recommend on days when you want to EAT ALL THE THINGS!!!!

• Administrators

What you've actually eaten with all the cashews and coconut is sweets and the carbiest/sweetest nut around. So basically your sugar dragon got fed. :(

If you truly want to eat a lot on a particular day (and it does happen) and you can't distract yourself from the cravings/need, make your meal a balance of protein, fat and veggies.

Eating to fill a craving is generally discouraged and it takes some mental fortitude to get past it on some days. Part of the whole "creating a new relationship with food". :)

What do you recommend on days when you want to EAT ALL THE THINGS!!!!

Water and tea, go for a walk, do chores, get involved with other people ... anything where you're not just able to sit around thinking about what you've got in the fridge or pantry. Or, if you havetohaveto have something, make it be something you have to _make_ not just grab and eat like coconut milk, nuts, avocado, etc.

What will hinder your weight loss is it being your biggest goal for whole30 and stress about food you are letting yourself to experience. Oops, sorry to be an ass. I have totally been there though (eating 3 avocados in a row, anyone?). So, here is my plan:

Why is it happening:

- You have been restricting calories too much too long and now your body picks the most dense food it can possibly get. She feeds me! What if she stops feeding me again? More more! What to do: be consistent, eat a template or mini template or if all else fails with lots of vegetables (super filling). You want avocado? Fine, mash it and eat with carrots. You want  cashews? Great, go for it but spread it on a sweet potato slices or mix in a salad. You don't have time/desire to make this mini meal...are you hungry then? Probably not.

- Nutrient deficiencies. If you get cravings for let's say avocado you might actually need magnesium. Look up what these foods you really want are are rich in and try to find protein/vegetable/supplement (read the label) that can match. Make sure to eat more greens and more seafood. If you make bone broth I will send you a big bright shiny gold star, promise. 

- You are used to mindless eating. That's a toughie, hand to mouth can't stop won't stop mode. Patience and work then more patience. What to do: turn mindless to mindful. Pause and ask yourself: what am I feeling? Am I craving comfort, acceptance, entertainment? Am I trying to deal with the certain problem with food? Food heals, but it can't resolve other issues of your life. Sad trumpet. 

Other strategies:

- Do not keep nut butter and nuts around for the first whole30. You can do without just fine, take my word. 

- Water. We confuse thirst with hunger a lot. Drink a glass of water/tea before you reach out for food. 

- Exercise at the intensity available to you. I will eat these cashews but after the 15 min walk. I will eat these cashews but I will go and do 15 squats first. 

- Meditation. Yaya hippie stuff no one has time for. Well, 2 min a day is a good start. Youtube it or get an app, the lovely lady will talk you through. But I can't do it. Can you sit on the chair? Can you breathe? Cool, you are doing it.

- Move on as fast as you can when you have a less than optimal meal. It's over, done, finito. Make Melissa Hartwig proud with your next meal.

- Journaling. Get a log here. There is a reason I have been logging here for, oh boy, several years now. First it holds you accountable, second you can have feedback when something is not entirely obvious to you. Sometimes it's just writing down how you feel that does the trick.     

- Focus on something you can control. Sleep or exercise for example.  You want to lose weight, right? Even the most perfect diet has limited influence. It's like those cashews - better in a stir-fry. 

- Meal planning is another option. Feed your eyes and make a kick-ass meal plan for the week. Find new fun recipes.

- Be very very kind to yourself. I hate to sound like an inspirational quote post on instagram, but it's true, you can't beat your body into submission. You need to be best friends. You don't stuff your best friend with coconut milk when you meet, do you? 

Love, N. 

• 1 month later...

What will hinder your weight loss is it being your biggest goal for whole30 and stress about food you are letting yourself to experience. Oops, sorry to be an ass. I have totally been there though (eating 3 avocados in a row, anyone?). So, here is my plan:

Why is it happening:

- You have been restricting calories too much too long and now your body picks the most dense food it can possibly get. She feeds me! What if she stops feeding me again? More more! What to do: be consistent, eat a template or mini template or if all else fails with lots of vegetables (super filling). You want avocado? Fine, mash it and eat with carrots. You want  cashews? Great, go for it but spread it on a sweet potato slices or mix in a salad. You don't have time/desire to make this mini meal...are you hungry then? Probably not.

- Nutrient deficiencies. If you get cravings for let's say avocado you might actually need magnesium. Look up what these foods you really want are are rich in and try to find protein/vegetable/supplement (read the label) that can match. Make sure to eat more greens and more seafood. If you make bone broth I will send you a big bright shiny gold star, promise. 

- You are used to mindless eating. That's a toughie, hand to mouth can't stop won't stop mode. Patience and work then more patience. What to do: turn mindless to mindful. Pause and ask yourself: what am I feeling? Am I craving comfort, acceptance, entertainment? Am I trying to deal with the certain problem with food? Food heals, but it can't resolve other issues of your life. Sad trumpet. 

Other strategies:

- Do not keep nut butter and nuts around for the first whole30. You can do without just fine, take my word. 

- Water. We confuse thirst with hunger a lot. Drink a glass of water/tea before you reach out for food. 

- Exercise at the intensity available to you. I will eat these cashews but after the 15 min walk. I will eat these cashews but I will go and do 15 squats first. 

- Meditation. Yaya hippie stuff no one has time for. Well, 2 min a day is a good start. Youtube it or get an app, the lovely lady will talk you through. But I can't do it. Can you sit on the chair? Can you breathe? Cool, you are doing it.

- Move on as fast as you can when you have a less than optimal meal. It's over, done, finito. Make Melissa Hartwig proud with your next meal.

- Journaling. Get a log here. There is a reason I have been logging here for, oh boy, several years now. First it holds you accountable, second you can have feedback when something is not entirely obvious to you. Sometimes it's just writing down how you feel that does the trick.     

- Focus on something you can control. Sleep or exercise for example.  You want to lose weight, right? Even the most perfect diet has limited influence. It's like those cashews - better in a stir-fry. 

- Meal planning is another option. Feed your eyes and make a kick-ass meal plan for the week. Find new fun recipes.

- Be very very kind to yourself. I hate to sound like an inspirational quote post on instagram, but it's true, you can't beat your body into submission. You need to be best friends. You don't stuff your best friend with coconut milk when you meet, do you? 

Love, N. 

prispall-smiley.gif?1292867657

The entire post was fantastic, but this one really hit home.  (it hit hard too...still stings a little).  Thanks, Nadia.

• 1 month later...

prispall-smiley.gif?1292867657

Nadia B, on 08 May 2015 - 10:24 AM, said:   Nadia B.   you say it so well. snapback.png

What will hinder your weight loss is it being your biggest goal for whole30 and stress about food you are letting yourself to experience. Oops, sorry to be an ass. I have totally been there though (eating 3 avocados in a row, anyone?). So, here is my plan:

Why is it happening:

- You have been restricting calories too much too long and now your body picks the most dense food it can possibly get. She feeds me! What if she stops feeding me again? More more! What to do: be consistent, eat a template or mini template or if all else fails with lots of vegetables (super filling). You want avocado? Fine, mash it and eat with carrots. You want  cashews? Great, go for it but spread it on a sweet potato slices or mix in a salad. You don't have time/desire to make this mini meal...are you hungry then? Probably not.

- Nutrient deficiencies. If you get cravings for let's say avocado you might actually need magnesium. Look up what these foods you really want are are rich in and try to find protein/vegetable/supplement (read the label) that can match. Make sure to eat more greens and more seafood. If you make bone broth I will send you a big bright shiny gold star, promise. 

You are used to mindless eating. That's a toughie, hand to mouth can't stop won't stop mode. Patience and work then more patience. What to do: turn mindless to mindful. Pause and ask yourself: what am I feeling? Am I craving comfort, acceptance, entertainment? Am I trying to deal with the certain problem with foodFood heals, but it can't resolve other issues of your life. Sad trumpet. 

Other strategies:

- Water. We confuse thirst with hunger a lot. Drink a glass of water/tea before you reach out for food

- Journaling. Get a log here. There is a reason I have been logging here for, oh boy, several years now. First it holds you accountable, second you can have feedback when something is not entirely obvious to you. Sometimes it's just writing down how you feel that does the trick.     

Love, N. 

Archived