Lower back, possible kidney pain and exhaustion - day 11

Hi - my mom is on day 11 and has been complaining about her lower back (...maybe kidneys) bothering her. She also is more tired and has lost 8 pds. She has terrible eating habits, on meds for acid reflux and bad case of scoliosis. I am hoping this is withdrawal symptoms since I encouraged her to do this with me. But as the days pass I am getting worried it's something to do with this high fat, low carb diet. I told her to go to the dr and she agrees but wants to wait it out a little longer...

Anyone experience something similar or have thoughts on what it could be?

It's not unusual for people to feel exhausted around this stage of their whole30. I have a slight scoliosis myself, and know from experience that when I'm tired I feel it in my back more than anywhere else.

Whole30 is a healthy way to eat - it is by no means low carb, and the fats you are consuming are good fats.

Unless she has any other symproms I'd maybe sit it out a few days longer & see if it passes, and in the meantime up your/her intake of starchy veg which should help improve energy levels.

You could also maybe post a few days worth of food to see if there are any more changes that could be made...?

Hope she's feeling better soon.

• 1 month later...

I just experienced 2 days of kidney pain (achey and sore), which I have never had before... I completed my Whole30 a week ago, but haven't reintroduced any off-plan foods yet. I have no other symptoms (urinary discomfort, fever, etc.).

Could a moderator please share more about the oxalates vs protein question, or any other info RE> kidney symptoms?

My diet before the Whole30 was 80% vegetarian, so I have never eaten this much animal protein on a daily basis.

Thank you.

• Administrators

I just experienced 2 days of kidney pain (achey and sore), which I have never had before... I completed my Whole30 a week ago, but haven't reintroduced any off-plan foods yet. I have no other symptoms (urinary discomfort, fever, etc.).

Could a moderator please share more about the oxalates vs protein question, or any other info RE> kidney symptoms?

Hi Vozelle, sorry you aren't feeling well. Unfortunately none of the moderators here are qualified to give medical advice along the lines of what you're asking about kidney symptoms.  Even our moderator who is medically trained could not give you medical advice, it would, of course, be far too risky trying to diagnose someone over the internet.  

Kidney pain is not a normal symptom of eating a Whole30 diet rich in vegetables, fats and animal protein.  As always, if you are concerned, you should see a medical professional.

@ladyshanny - Thanks, I was actually just curious about the oxalates, hadn't heard that term before... and wondering if anyone else had dealt with this issue. Thankfully, I no longer have the pain, and will be sure to see an MD if it returns!  : )

Archived