SJ's Whole30 Journey

sojones928

I'm starting my journey Friday, May 8, 2015. I have always been very active by playing tennis and working out, but ankle surgery in November 2014 has set me back. I am finally able to walk, but still have a slight limp. I am back in the gym and physical therapy but I am in desperate need of an intake overhaul. During my none weight bearing days I started creating some very bad eating habits and drinking habits. Most I'm sure were out of boredom and feeling sorry for myself. I am hopeful that changing the way I eat will get me back on track of a healthier lifestyle and hopefully get back on the tennis court sooner.

OK, starting on a Friday is not a good idea. Especially since it was a celebration weekend with college graduation. So I began my 30 day journey Monday. Monday eating was great. I had 3 hard boiled eggs and strawberries for breakfast and a bison burger with a salad for dinner. I really enjoy coming up with new twists on the same old things. This time I added guacamole and pico to my burger, absolutely delicious. I have really been focusing making sure I get enough water and just eat single inggredient items.

• 3 weeks later...

I really have a hard time getting through my first week. I restarted my Whole 30 on May 25. This time I have I have asked my 21 year old daughter to complete with me. We both had a great weekend at the beach enjoying cocktails and sunny weather, but realized that we needed to do something. We both have an issue with diet coke and sweets so it's been a great partnership supporting each other. It really helps me know that I can't quit because of her. This week we have enjoyed doing the meal prep together. The plan is really making her think about what she can eat, when she is out with friends she calls me to ask if she can have a certain food, this really helps me. I have always tried to do this on my own, but I now realize when you are accountable to someone else it takes the desire to be successful to another level.

We made it through the first week with flying colors! I'm so glad that my daughter is on this journey with me. It has been an up and down week but I am looking forward to the next one. There were highs and lows with everything; cravings, hunger, snacking, sleep, emotions, withdrawals, you name it we experienced it. But the last couple of days I awoke feeling pretty good, even though falling asleep has been difficult. I am most proud of getting through this first week, because now that it's over I don't want to start over and waste the hardest part about of the program. I'm looking forward to seeing what changes will happen this week.

Archived