Water retention - Day 17

Hello,

I'm just finishing up Day 17 and have found this process to be relatively easy. I'm loving the way I am feeling!!!

We've had a day or two of summer temperatures here and I'm noticing that I am bloated, and have puffy ankles. This is something that I've had previous to Whole30 when the temperatures and humidity get to a certain point. The bloating and puffiness certainly doesn't seem to be as bad as what I've experienced prior to my Whole30, however, I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to perhaps alleviate this a bit more. Would drinking more/less water help, or should I try to reduce my salt intake? Usually I just suck it up and try to deal with it, but was hoping someone might have a suggestion or two  ;)  

Thanks!

• Moderators

Do not drink less water and do not reduce your salt intake. Salt and water intake cannot explain your bloating and puffiness. 

You would need to report what you have been eating for a few days to give us a clue about anything you might be eating that is having some influence on puffiness. 

Thanks for responding Tom....I'm truly thinking it's 'weather related' as I've had no problems until it got hot out. I'm open to any and all suggestions though :)

Breakfast: 4 scrambled/fried eggs, lots of veggies - 1 zucchini, a handful and a bit of spinach, mushrooms, onion, avocado and a potato of some sort......This is pretty much consistent every day, the spinach may be replaced with kale, sometimes I'll add a tomato, etc. Depending on how hungry I am there may be a compliant sausage tossed in as well.

Lunch: for the most part it's leftovers from the previous nights dinner....

• loaded smashed potato with compliant chicken sausage, spinach, mushrooms, onion, lettuce, tomato, zucchini
  • 1 chicken breast cooked with diced tomato, half a spaghetti squash, roasted veggies (about 2 cups)
  • egg salad (4 eggs) with green onions on salad (lettuce, tomato, cucumber)

Dinner: same as lunches above.....I'm becoming really big on leftovers lol.

• tonight I had 4 eggs, cauliflower mash, with a zucchini and onions

Oops...I totally forgot to mention the water!!  With each meal, or right around meal time, I'm drinking 30 oz of water. This is in addition to my morning coffee and usually a cup of tea in the evening.

• Moderators

Since this is something that's happened before, have you spoken to your doctor about it? I'm not sure about the bloating, but swollen, puffy ankles can be a sign of high blood pressure. I'm not saying that's for sure what's going on here, I'm not a doctor, I'm just saying it's something that might be worth looking into. 

Your meals all look pretty good, although you don't list added fats -- the egg meals may not need any more fat, but, for instance, chicken breast is pretty lean, so hopefully you added some to that meal. I don't know that these symptoms necessarily have to do with what you're eating at all.

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for your response :) I had my blood pressure checked a couple of months ago, and it was fine. It was another hot and humid day here today, and I was outside working for a good portion of the day. I increased my water intake substantially and have noticed an improvement in the bloaty/puffy department.  I guess I was just hoping there was something food-wise I could tweak a bit more to make it go away completely lol.

Archived