alternative fat for cooking eggs

I've been frying and scrambling my eggs in either ghee or coconut oil. I like both but get sick of the taste quickly. I'm not used to much cooking fat flavor in my eggs (I used to use a canola spray). What else do people use? I am going to try olive oil next time (which I love the taste of). Not sure how they will come out. I'm  also considering one of those spray things where you add your own olive oil. I need variety! Thanks!

You can get refined coconut oil and then you won't have the smell or taste of coconut. I can't stand the smell/taste of unrefined coconut oil, so I always/exclusively use refined. It's fine for Whole30 and I can get it at my local grocery store, so it's easy to find.

I love bacon but I cannot find compliant bacon here and have not bothered to buy it on-line. Good idea though!

I didn't even realize there was a refined version.  Thx! I'll look for it.

• Moderators

I add salt, garlic powder, ground turmeric, and crushed red pepper flakes when cooking eggs. Then I splash Cholula hot sauce on top at the end. I don't notice the taste of cooking fat. :)

Glad that helped! I feel like I sneak around these parts as one of the few people not devoted to coconut. I'm not even a little bit of a fan of coconut milk, and the smell of unrefined coconut oil in cooking is just really unpleasant and physically disturbing to me. Refined coconut oil is such a relief!

Olive oil is not good for cooking foods, as it has a low smoking point and most of the health benefits are lost when it is heated. What about avocado oil?

Perhaps you're thinking of EVOO?

Light olive oil has a higher smoke point than avocado or even clarified butter: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/cooking-fats-101-whats-a-smoke-point-and-why-does-it-matter.html

I do know that a lot of so-called olive oils are very "watered down" with canola oil. It's sort of a dirty little secret of the olive oil trade. A lot of the light olive oils, especially, have a tiny amount of olive oil in them and are mostly canola with colouring added (in the US, at least). 

http://www.fakefoodwatch.com/2012/02/great-extra-virgin-olive-oil-scam-in.html

I don't "worry", I am just aware of scams and ways things can go wrong, and I head those problems off at the pass. For instance, eating olive oil that is largely corn or canola oil (which much of it in North America is) is not worth tons of money. Veggie oil is dirt cheap and Canada is a huge canola/rape oil producer. If you're going to pay extra for olive oil, you might as well be getting olive oil.  ;)

As for "worrying"- we live in a highly dangerous world and each of us has the capacity to be highly dangerous ourselves. That's not worrying; it's reality.  :rolleyes: "Worry" denotes an emotional connection to issues. Being conscious of issues and being "upset" about them emotionally are two different things. 

Archived