Starting May 11th

Debzella

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello friends. 

I've felt pretty good until today.  Day 10, I'm exhausted.  The rainy weather and work stress doesn't help, but I feel like I can barely lift my limbs.  Come to think of it, I didn't get to sleep until much after my usual time last night.  If that wasn't bad enough, my lower belly feels like it is full of rocks.  Crampy, bloated and constipated.  Ouch.  I have spin tonight which should put me in a better mood.  I just ate a lara bar.  Not the recommended pre-workout meal, I know.  I'm also very crabby at the whole30.  As if the five big rules aren't hard enough, then they add all these additional rules about fruit and snacks and pre workout and post workout.  Ugh!  I had my very first "I'm done with this craziness" moment as I was eating my lara bar. 

Deep breath.  Deep breath.  Ok.  Rant over.

I've been hit with such a lack of energy this afternoon. Ugh. I just want to take a nap, but I have to start working on dinner. Tired of cooking and doing dishes.

And my kids are all sitting on the couch around me crunching their carb-loaded snacks. Woe is me.

• Administrators

Ok, so was still feeling great this morning and the "kill all the things" just hit me again! I have a headache and feel out of it. I'm also already hungry and I ate lunch at around 2 pm. It's now 5 pm. For lunch I had a heaping helping of sauteed cabbage with sauteed apples, onions, and a chicken sausage link. I accompanied that with about a 1.5 cups of roasted broccoli and a couple tablespoons of W30 mayo. I also had a hard boiled egg. Am I missing something? I feel like I hit all of the aspects of the template....

Probably one sausage link and one hard boiled egg was not enough protein.  Imagine cutting that link up and determining how it fits your palm (length, width and depth).  If it does match your palm, probably just barely.  A serving of eggs is how many you can hold in your hand.  So you could probably have done a couple eggs and the link or two links and the egg.

If you are just barely making the protein portion of the template on back to back meals or back to back days, you are probably going to start feeling awfully hungry on a more regular basis.  As St Sophia said, we do tell people that nutrition is cumulative.  You can't come back from a light meal with a heavy one, they should be properly balanced all day long. 

Day 9

Woke up at 5:10 am, totally awake and ready to go.  WTH.  I did laundry and some quiet cleaning, plus read a few chapters of a book.  Worked all day, finally had dinner at 6:40 - mega fat burger with guac and a side of broccoli.  I am stuffed.  And tired.  I'm looking forward to going to bed!

I posted my day before reading everyone else's posts....sounds like most of us are doing really well and have some tiger blood happening!  For those still feeling crappy....hang in there!  I feel like I haven't had any crappy days yet...I'm worried about what may come LOL!

Just a few words to those about to jump ship, please hang in there. Just yesterday morning I felt the same way. In fact I was very emotional about it. Between the nausea, headaches and emotions, I had had it! Then right after lunch the tiger showed up and hasn't left. HANG IN THERE. Eat all you are suppose to and the tiger will come.

DAY 7

M1: BoC: sautéed veggies, ground beef 2 eggs plopped on top and baked + fingerling potatoes + kombucha and a couple grapes

i was so thirsty during breakfast! how long do y'all wait to drink before/ after meals?

M2: Tilapia baked in EVO + sautéed green veggies + acorn squash + cuke/tomato vinaigrette salad

was super hungry by lunch, had to use will to not snack. took a midday walk to combat my everyday 3:30 energy slump, it worked, but by 5 PM I crashed, and instead of going to the gym (finally felt the urge to since starting W30) I just relaxed at home.

SNACK: cuke/tomato/celery/carrot salad + chopped liver w/ balsamic dressing

M3: sm grilled chicken + sm hamburger + acorn squash + snow peas + a couple tbsp W30 mayo + cuke/tomato vinaigrette salad  + kombucha and a couple grapes.

mayo fail: i used EVOO instead of light EVO (or whichever is there right one) this tastes so heavily of olive oil it's hard to eat. I combined it with chili sauce and used it as a dressing for the meat. wasn't bad. does anyone know how to neutralize the flavor of olive oil?

Thanks for the recipe DEBZ, but sadly eggplants don't agree with me :( rock on, your bad tiger self. loving your hilarious updates :)

I just ate a lara bar.  Not the recommended pre-workout meal, I know.  I'm also very crabby at the whole30.  As if the five big rules aren't hard enough, then they add all these additional rules about fruit and snacks and pre workout and post workout.  Ugh!  I had my very first "I'm done with this craziness" moment as I was eating my lara bar.

Sorry you're having a tough day.

Note there are rules and recommendations. The rules are here:http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/To do a proper Whole30, follow the rules 100%.

Recommendations are additional guidelines for best results. Things like the meal template, pre and post wo guidelines, guidance on mini meals for snacks and fruit with meals (vs. alone as a snack). You could choose to follow none of the recommendations, but as long as you're following all the rules, you're still doing a Whole30.

Feel like an idiot....especially sense this is not my first rodeo and butter obviously has dairy in it! I just realized I put a splash of vanilla too and that has alcohol. I don't have any auto immune issues or allergies so I am going to keep on trucking forward and switch to ghee in coffee (I know myself....if I call it quits and restart I will spend a few weeks indulging before starting again!) we'll see if I can stretch it into a whole 40. Either way, I'm feeling great at this point and still feel a little proud of myself.

Note there are rules and recommendations. The rules are here:http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/To do a proper Whole30, follow the rules 100%.

Recommendations are additional guidelines for best results. Things like the meal template, pre and post wo guidelines, guidance on mini meals for snacks and fruit with meals (vs. alone as a snack). You could choose to follow none of the recommendations, but as long as you're following all the rules, you're still doing a Whole30.

THANKS!! That was super helpful. I got excited and skimmed a lot of the book. Must've missed that.

Thank you so much everyone!! So glad we have this space to vent and share how we are doing and/or feeling because I feel like this is definitely an emotional journey as well! Feel much better after dinner. Had a big bowl of leftover chili topped with half an avocado and a humongous salad with chopped veggies. Just dressed it with some lemon because love being able to taste all the vegetables! I swear that chili just gets better each day!

Ladyshanny -- I am definitely going to up my protein and see how that goes! Still in the trial and error phase :) I don't know why I've been teetering on the lighter side...scared of eating too much protein perhaps?? Who knows!! Thanks for the advice and for everyone's support!!

Thanks for the encouragement! I will say I di better on days I have some sweet potato! I love this mix of evoo and peppers.

I am with the people having a tough day today! I got no sleep and had to have three cups of coffees to function! I am tired of dishes and all the cooking but I do love the new book and the recipes and the how to!!! I just struggled so much the first time and not really feeling prepared to what to do? I feel the new book just helps so much! I have made the Italian vinnegrette and the citrus jalapeño one(not sure what called). Heck even the perfect ground beef was better! So I am pressing on but being tired made it harder today! I am a stress eater and work was insane the last two days. I so wanted chocolate, instead I had and Apple with almond butter!

Ps I am amazed how good food tastes right now;) just plain food! Strawberries even taste better.

Oh and glad hubby eats healthy but he is eating all this food I prep! Goodness I can't keep up!

As a lifelong morning oatmeal eater, i've been craving sweet potatoes every morning for breakfast too... now i see why :) Thanks for the tip!

To do a vegetarian Whole30 is always going to be a compromise, and the Hartwigs are pretty clear about that. They (and, I think, everyone here) respects your right to base your food choices on your own moral/ethical beliefs, but understand that the W30 framework is meant for omnnivores, and when you alter the program to meet your beliefs, it is a compromise between what W30 posits as the best way to eat for your physical health and you living within your belief system. Again, you have every right to eat what you believe is right for you, I'm just trying to explain why it is so hard to recommend the best options for you. I know that must be frustrating for you. 

In addition to the books, you might also look at some of the older threads in the vegetarian section and see what others have used for protein. (This one might be helpful.) 

This site lists egg yolks as a gray area for AIP, so that might not be such a bad choice. Or google vegetarian AIP and see what other people are doing, understanding that it's not going to match up exactly with a Whole30. Part of the reason the the vegetarian shopping list has blank spaces is for you to list whichever protein sources you decide will work best for you. 

ShannonM816 THANK YOU.  I so appreciate your very honest and very complete response.  Because the older veg Whole 30 allowed for yogurt and legumes, there aren't particularly helpful suggestions there, since I think it is very much worth exploring whether they are causing trouble.  As for the egg yolk fact, THANK YOU a million times over for that slice of feedback because I was debating egg white protein powder today wondering if that was perhaps not the inflammatory part of the egg.  Good to know that it is and therefore- no egg white protein powder.

To speak to doing veg Whole 30 as a compromise, I really agree.  After consulting with friends who are W30 pro's, they asked me what I am hoping to get out of the W30.  Realistically for me, it is a super framework to support an allergy elimination and reintegration plan to discover some hidden stuff going on with my body.  I am benefiting from cooking most of my meals, eating more raw foods, reading labels, turning snacks into compliant mini meals, and lots of other good behavioral and biological stuff.  As part of my W30, I am not trying to lose weight or 'lean down'.  In fact, I have be revisiting the article about keeping/gaining while on the W30 periodically just to be safe.  I lose weight under stress and struggle to put it back on, so that shapes some of the compromises I am willing and able to make and still get what I need out of my W30, however tweaked.

St. Sophia, since you asked, my plan is to continue to follow the can haves and can't have's from the Whole 30.  I am going to make the conscious decision to recategorize fatty proteins, like nuts and seeds, into proteins and not fats for my purposes.  It's sort of a win win since I will get the protein I need and also the extra healthy fats I need until I get back to optimal weight.  To their credit, my W30 pro friends also had some very good insights about my ethical vegetarianism, so I am also going to give bone broth and collagen protein powder a try and see how that works for my body (all of my Paleo friends sigh and say "finally"). They made excellent points about bone broth and collagen both being made of parts of the animal that are often wasted after meat consumption, so that feels to me like it fits with the belief structure of "if you are killing an animal use the whole animal out of respect." While I am not ready to start eating meat yet, if someone has killed an animal and there are bones leftover, I don't feel bad about making bone broth with them.  I especially don't feel bad about eating the bone broth that the people who ate the meat made and offered me.  Vegetarian logic- go figure.

Thanks for your help and encouragement team.  I always love reading the posts.  Jeanie and St. Sophia especially.  You two are great.  Today was a tiger blood day for me, too!

The ingredients list rules in a Whole30. So for the fish sauce you listed, it's fine.  (Sugar in the nutrition facts in this case would be the naturally occurring sugar in the anchovies.)

On the sweet potato vermicelli, while technically compliant, nutritionally it's not the best choice, as the sweet potato starch is highly processed.  Better to make your own similar sweet potato dishes with a julienne or spiralizing gadget. 

Thank you GFChris - spiralizer is on the way from Amazon :)

Do you have a whole foods near you? I've seen compliance fish sauce there. It's called "Red Boat" (I think it's mentioned here on the forums as well as being W30 compliant). 

Thankyou CC for your help - I am in Australia I have looked and looked but cannot find Red Boat anywhere - I have even looked on the internet as well however thankfully the moderator GFChris has allayed any concern about the one I purchased. :)

Oh thank goodness!!!!  :rolleyes:  I just ate a couple of dates between meals ... just because ... still no tiger's roar for me. Feeling better though - clearer head, feeling light in the body (I assure you I am not lol!) and feeling taller - must be standing more upright :)

Fabulous supportive posts again from one and all - Arin and Amanda79 my energy is labile too ... today may be due to retiring after midnight last night :blink: and getting up early to greet the carpet cleaner.

Lauriem I have not reaaaaaallllly been crabby just occasionally slightly irritated .... well .... my other half may disagree  :rolleyes:Sidcianicliff  how fabulous a 10k run - makes me tired just thinking about it!!!! glad you are staying on after starting again. mega, debz, st sophia, jeannie and nickiechan you are obviously all great cooks thanks for sharing ... still keeping on ...... :D 

Sorry if I missed anyone so glad we are all in this together ...

Archived