Starting May 11th

Debzella

Bricky aww

You seem to be getting on ok

Cooking is a matter of preference,common sense, and technique. Don't drive yourself nuts use some of the recipies you're used to except swap out what can't comply W30 or disagrees with you.

And always double if you can Leftovers can be repurposed as we know.

"Chomp" (thanks Meadow Lily) is a compliant jerky snack. Try to steer clear of sugary dried fruit it'll get in trouble with the sugar dragon and/or become good without breaks if you're not careful.

If you are eating enough fat with your meals it should take you through to the 4/5 hour range.

You may pick up some extra energy too.

Also anchovies mashed or anchovies paste is a good sub for fish sauce read your labels.

Homemade bone broth yesterday

Good for you and add it into your recipies

Have a great day

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 7 for me! I'm feeling good. This morning I was a bit sluggish. I ran last evening and did my fastest mile ever! I'm not sure if it is the new diet or if it was my new running shoes but I felt so great! My stuffed peppers last night were kind of a bust. I threw in some mushrooms that I had that were going to go bad and my husband and children kept picking them out.  <_< Also it wasn't that jazzy and my husband was complaining about the blandness of it.... well I'll try again with some more spices! Tonight I couldn't compromise them... it is was typically Pizza night and they want it so I'm getting pizza for them and I'm having leftovers with zoodles. I also have a bit of a confession to make. I made frozen banana ice cream with almond butter and coconut milk. It was an amazing treat that I think I deserved. I know that the Whole 30 program tells you not to make comfort foods or paleofy certain treats, but I really do think I deserved it and I only had a small bowl and I savored it.  :ph34r:

Good morning! Good morning! Day 10 here!

I am not quite as perky as yesterday, but it's early yet. I spent all day detailing my car, for the first time ever. lol. I'm sure it's wondering what it did to deserve such nice treatment. The kitchen cupboards are going to be a lonnnnnng process. I have too much stuff, and not enough of the right stuff. Yesterday evening, instead of laying on the couch waiting for bedtime, (or worse having a glass of wine and a movie. No! No! No!), I was up and looking for something to do. (And not cleaning!) There was nothing that didn't involve food or drink in some way! Coffee with a friend? Too many desserts and lattes out there! Go listen to a band? Wine and bar food also singing their siren song. Walk in the mall? Food courts and coffee kiosks aplenty. I never realized what a food and drink culture we are! So, as I paced and walked my new pet tiger, I decided that there was one safe place to go that still was social and interesting. The library!! I spent a happy hour looking at books, and smiling at people I didn't know. I even got a library card. I need a hobby.  :)

Breakfast today was Duckmama's BoC. Leftover eggplant curry in a frying pan with ghee and three eggs. Yum.

Lunch will be a BAS with chicken salad made with homemade mayo.

Dinner - Compliant chicken apple sausage over spaghetti squash tossed with a zucchini garlic ragout that I haven't invented yet. lol.

Bricky, I feel taller too. Isn't that weird? I definitely feel lighter, and really, really want to weigh myself, but I'm not. Makes me realize how tied to the scale I am.

Enjoying everybody's posts, and all the good ideas for coping and cooking! Have a good, powerful, tiger-fueled day!

Wow.....some of you girls are having it a bit rough.  Mind over matter and yes you can.  Just get through today.  You'll be amazed at how great you feel mentally and physically once you get past feeling crappy and hungry.  Happy Day 10!  I'm crushing it and feel fantastic!

That was a great article!  I have been following the rules and totally agree....it makes it easier.  I think I mentioned before....this is my 5th attempt at doing a whole 30.  Previously I had gotten to day 6, and last time, day 13.  I think today is day 10?  I didn't feel this great when I was at day 13 before!   

I keep talking about my feet....I walked down the stairs this morning without holding the railing.  Holy cow.  Haven't been able to do that since February 2014 when my health fell apart.  

I'm making this a whole37.  I would do whole40 except I have a celebratory lunch on June 18 and I want to have a little leeway on what I order - eat the salad dressing instead of asking for oil and vinegar!  I have no intention of adding grains or dairy back into my diet at this point.  I feel too good without them.  Amazing how you don't realize how awful you feel until you don't feel crappy anymore.

One more day done! Going to try the bullet proof coffee tomorrow - was that 1/2 tsp of both coconut oil and ghee?

does anyone know if smoked haddock or smoked cod is whole30 compliant? I suspect they smoke it with sugar cant read a label as I bought it some time ago and it is in my freezer in see through ziplock bags! - would be yummy with clarified butter on top and a side of veg for brekky  :)

Hola! Today I'm feeling good BUT, I didn't want to get out of bed because I was so cuddled in and cozy :) When I did get up, I had the thoughts of "I really don't want to cook eggs again..." but, I did it anyway and it was still as good as any other day. I feel good today...I put on a pair of pants that I bought a couple weeks ago and they seem to be a little lose/big....I'm super surprised! Yesterday I felt like I hadn't seen any changes yet but today is a new day!

We went out last night to dinner and Pitch Perfect 2 (AWESOME. See it, if you haven't already!!!)...Before I even committed, I checked the menu at the restaurant to make sure they had options  :)  I was nervous as this was my first real excursion outside of my own home...I ordered the gluten free steak at dinner, with a plain potato and steamed asparagus. I specifically requested, no butter, dairy, added sugar, weird spices, sauces, etc. They even came back to me a couple times just to check and verify a few things to make sure it was all compliant. I was impressed big time! So, while my friends indulged on pizza and fried food, I enjoyed my steak without feeling any pings of guilt! I also had sparkling water with olives and lemon in a "cocktail" glass to feel like I was fitting in and not being left out...ha-ha!

On to day 10...the hardest of days!!! It says to redefine your idea of a reward, so I scheduled some pampering at the salon for tomorrow :)

Good luck to all today!

Debzilla - Your trip to the library cracked me up!  Thanks for the laugh this morning.   I also am dying to step on the scale.  I left my measuring tape in the drawer of my bathroom and may have to stash it somewhere else.  It keeps calling to me!

GFChris + Amanda79 - great articles, came at the perfect, uh, just the right time ;)

DUCKMAMA: well, if you're really gonna do leftover meat stuff --- and this might be very hard to stomach as a vegetarian, and I completely understand not, but figured i might as well put it out there for you newly anointed "freegan" -- consider using schmalz (animal fat) and livers. schmalz is the fat that would be discarded, and livers are generally very high in nutrition and often the most discarded. i read that in olden days, the livers were the part eaten first, and the rest of the animal discarded. funny how times change. 

BRICKY - i love the sense of "feeling taller" -- i know exactly what you mean. had it for a bit yesterday on my afternoon walk, although generally right now, feeling super wonky and heavy.

MeGa: anchovy paste sub for fish sauce??? LOVE IT. I've had anchovies sitting in my cabinet for months. I want to like them, but, just don't. I will use in Tom Kha soup I'm making later. 

Debz - i'm following in yr footsteps: this morn I did a deep clean that's been on my to-do list for months! and my hand is over my heart that you went to the library! i'm a documentary producer and writer, and the library is like my second home. always wanted to make a film about this special place -- the rare public space that's not-for-profit in some way, but just for the sake of community and knowledge. Yay to another library member!!!

so glad we're all in this together. Hurrah on week two or wherever you are on the journey :)

G'MORNING DAY 8

Woke up early, 6 AM, on my own accord.

had a bit of headache, not bad, just dull.

running out of food in fridge, starting to get creative. 

using a standing desk at home and hoping to get a good chunk of focus in today. 

am starting to plan what to pack food-wise for memorial day weekend away.

M1: burger, fried eggs, sautéed onions, tomatoes w W30 chili mayo + squash w coconut milk, shallots, lime, and curry powder

Glad that helped clear things up. You might like this article as well :http://whole30.com/2014/01/perfect-whole30/

I agree, this was a very helpful article. I'm so encouraged by all the support here, and I really value everyone's posts. 

I keep talking about my feet....I walked down the stairs this morning without holding the railing.  Holy cow.  Haven't been able to do that since February 2014 when my health fell apart.  

I'm making this a whole37.  I would do whole40 except I have a celebratory lunch on June 18 and I want to have a little leeway on what I order - eat the salad dressing instead of asking for oil and vinegar!  I have no intention of adding grains or dairy back into my diet at this point.  I feel too good without them.  Amazing how you don't realize how awful you feel until you don't feel crappy anymore.

LaurieM I'm so glad you are having good health effects. I was wondering how much dairy and grains play a part in inflammation. My autoimmune symptoms are gradually getting better, too. I don't think I want to add back processed grains when this is all over. 

Hola! Today I'm feeling good BUT, I didn't want to get out of bed because I was so cuddled in and cozy  :) When I did get up, I had the thoughts of "I really don't want to cook eggs again..." but, I did it anyway and it was still as good as any other day. I feel good today...I put on a pair of pants that I bought a couple weeks ago and they seem to be a little lose/big....I'm super surprised! Yesterday I felt like I hadn't seen any changes yet but today is a new day!

We went out last night to dinner and Pitch Perfect 2 (AWESOME. See it, if you haven't already!!!)...Before I even committed, I checked the menu at the restaurant to make sure they had options  :)  I was nervous as this was my first real excursion outside of my own home...I ordered the gluten free steak at dinner, with a plain potato and steamed asparagus. I specifically requested, no butter, dairy, added sugar, weird spices, sauces, etc. They even came back to me a couple times just to check and verify a few things to make sure it was all compliant. I was impressed big time! So, while my friends indulged on pizza and fried food, I enjoyed my steak without feeling any pings of guilt! I also had sparkling water with olives and lemon in a "cocktail" glass to feel like I was fitting in and not being left out...ha-ha!

On to day 10...the hardest of days!!! It says to redefine your idea of a reward, so I scheduled some pampering at the salon for tomorrow :)

Good luck to all today!

Mcki0133 - Bravo on loose pants, and also what an inspired "cocktail" choice! Sparkling water with olives and lemon sounds better than a real cocktail! That is going to be my drink as well.

Amanda - We will have the best weigh in ever... in a few more weeks.  :)

Sidcianicliff - 10k! That is awesome! I ran a 10k once, when i was 20. I was the very last person to cross the finish line, and the only thing that kept me going was that there was a marching band right behind me, and I was afraid of the trombones! So, I admire you for running. You too, Nickichan. 

Hi all

so enjoying reading all your posts. Feel like if i eat anything noncompliant now i will have to confess it in writing here for all to see.motivation not to do it!

Sidciancliff - great attitude. I would have thought what the heck and ordered the hot chocolate fudge cake too! Well done 10k impressive

Arin - that made me laugh - my husband ate the cakes crisps and sweets then proceeded to eat my bag of cashew nuts too! :(

Happycarter - i ate a satsuma at work yesterday and it tasted too sweet to eat

Debzella - Go you i really want to weigh myself too so bad as my clothes definitely looser but im so glad the scales are hidden

Having a pretty good day today. Wish this tiger would pay me a visit as Ive a pile of ironing the size of mount everest to do!

I also have a bit of a confession to make. I made frozen banana ice cream with almond butter and coconut milk. It was an amazing treat that I think I deserved. I know that the Whole 30 program tells you not to make comfort foods or paleofy certain treats, but I really do think I deserved it and I only had a small bowl and I savored it.  :ph34r:

Thanks for your honesty, and yes, a treat like that is not compliant for a Whole30.

I encourage you to look for non-food ways to reward yourself as you go through this journey. That's part of changing your relationship with food.

Debz - i'm following in yr footsteps: this morn I did a deep clean that's been on my to-do list for months! and my hand is over my heart that you went to the library! i'm a documentary producer and writer, and the library is like my second home. always wanted to make a film about this special place -- the rare public space that's not-for-profit in some way, but just for the sake of community and knowledge. Yay to another library member!!!

so glad we're all in this together. Hurrah on week two or wherever you are on the journey :)

G'MORNING DAY 8

Woke up early, 6 AM, on my own accord.

had a bit of headache, not bad, just dull.

running out of food in fridge, starting to get creative. 

using a standing desk at home and hoping to get a good chunk of focus in today. 

am starting to plan what to pack food-wise for memorial day weekend away.

M1: burger, fried eggs, sautéed onions, tomatoes w W30 chili mayo + squash w coconut milk, shallots, lime, and curry powder

St. Sophia, your job sounds fascinating, and a documentary about libraries would be so great to see. There are so many truly great ones. I love the hushed atmosphere and the smell of old books. There is a reverence there, that is comforting and fulfilling. I think people would love a documentary about them.

Your squash sounds lovely. I may try that tonight over spaghetti squash.  :)

Happy Day 10! We're in double-digits now!

Since there seems to be a lot of talk about the scale and measurements, I think these are great articles to share:

http://whole9life.com/2011/09/whole9-health-equation/

http://whole9life.com/2012/03/5-reasons-to-break-up-with-your-scale/

I read both of these articles before starting my W30 and they were very profound for me and had a large impact. I hope they can help you guys as well!

Keep on keepin' on, everyone! One bite at a time, one meal at a time, one day at a time!

Hello all, I am more of a stalker than a poster but thought I'd drop a line. I too started on 5/11 and am on Day 10 today. I've had a terrible cough and sore throat for days. It's really tested my patience when all I want is soothing comforting type food or honey in my tea. 

Despite my at times negative commentary I have held true to the program. I still grapple every day if I'll make it to Day 30. I know, no matter what I am making long term changes and this experience even thus far has helped enlighten me. Just drinking coffee without the 6 sugars and cream I drank 3x's a day has mad a HUGE change. Look at me drinking compliant unsweetened almond milk only with my coffee and black tea!

I have 2 young kids and a husband at home NOT eating Whole30 so I can't hide from the Sugar Dragon which has always been my biggest issue. That is the main reason I hoped on this, I need to slay that dragon!

DuckMama- good for you! Stick with your beliefs. It's what makes you, you!

DebZ - I literally LOL'd - "walking the tiger" You are a hoot!

For those waiting for their pet tiger to show, the book says around day 16. Some of us were early. Don't give up! Your tiger is coming soon and it's totally worth it!

I had a yummy egg frittata this morning. Cleaned out my fridge and used all my veggies up. Then topped it off with Whole Foods guacamole. And berries (natures candy!) So good! Lunch will be BAS(!) with hard boiled eggs, celery and guacamole. Dinner is pork tenderloin on grill w some kind of veggies.

1/3 way through, my jeans a loose (Jeanie does the happy dance!)

This forum is the best I've ever been involved with. Everyone is so helpful and positive and fun! It's a great addition to my day! Thanks!

This forum is the best I've ever been involved with. Everyone is so helpful and positive and fun! It's a great addition to my day! Thanks!

Agreed, Jeanie793! I have email notifications linked to my work email, so every time someone posts/likes, you name it...it pops up and it's a lovely break in my work to read all the posts and feel the positivity!

Just one thought on being frustrated, hungry or a bit off.  I notice many of you go for some really appealing meals....but complicated.  Maybe all of the effort that goes into the preparation and then cooking of the meal is a bit daunting.  I say keep it simple.  I live alone so cooking for myself is already a challenge.  Boneless grilled chicken is my go to (love my George Foreman).   Maybe a salad or carrots and cucumber slices.  That's it when I'm busy and just don't have the time for anything too involved.  And I don't have to guess what's compliant or not.  It's the KISS approach.....which this simple man needs.  Ciao.

Hello all,

Lmcdermott76-  welcome!  I hope you start feeling better soon.  everything is so much harder when you're sick too!

Thank you everyone for your encouraging words.  I'm back in the comfort of my home for a few days then we leave to visit friends this weekend.   So here again a difficult situation.  I've already told our friends what I can eat or not eat.  So hopefully it'll go well. :)  She has told me that I'm not allowed to cook this weekend, she wants to let me rest. lol  Which is so sweet of my friend...   but..  anyway.  I'll let you know how it goes. 

The first few whole30's (I'm counting ones that I attempted to finish too.)  I had a hard time staying away from the scale, but since then I've pretty much stopped weighing myself.  I noticed after I started weight lifting my weight would always be higher than I wanted it to be, but my clothes fit fine or better than before.  So I decided to stop weighing myself cuz I'd get depressed.  So I would say it's been about 2 months since I've weighed myself.  I will probably weigh myself after finishing the whole30 just out of curiousity.  I stopped lifting a few weeks before the run, I'm looking foward to starting again. :)   I loved how strong I felt while lifting!! 

I'm taking Ladyshanny's advice about sweet potatoes. Just started my cycle, I'm usually very very tired during the beginning.  I'm surprised at how well I feel, not as tired.  Not sure if it's the sweet potatoes...  :) 

Have a great day!! :)

Day 11 checking in as I'm finishing up my lunch.  A hamburger patty, cucumber/tomato/onion salad, and half a baked sweet potato with coconut oil.  I'm pretty sure I was one of the last people to jump on the coconut oil bandwagon and I don't ever want to get off!!

The past few days, we've been hit with a biggy at the girls' school.  There are some personnel changes and our entire support system (that we rely heavily on) will be gone next year.  I'm a tearful, panicky mess, BUT I'm not reaching for food or beverages.  It crosses my mind, but just for a moment and then it's gone.  Could this be "food freedom"?

Hello! I haven't posted anything in a few days, but I have some observations. 

- I still feel like the amount of protein is huge and sometimes hard to consume, but I'm getting hungrier faster now, which I think is a sign something is working? At first, breakfast filled me for like 6 hours, now I'm at 4. 

- I liked the recipes in the book, but realized a few days in that what I really wanted was to eat Whole 30 compliant versions of the recipes and dishes I love. Makes this not feel extreme, to have familiar foods. Turned out, most of my favorite recipes were already W30 compliant. So I've been enjoying this yummy chicken with anchovies that I've made a million times and some favorite pasta sauces (without cheese) on top of zucchini noodles (this and this). I'm a huge lover of Italian food, especially pasta, and having yummy sauces on top of veggies for my sides is totally hitting the spot. 

- Must share this fabulous thing I made this weekend: Domino Potatoes (probably can make with sweet potatoes or other starchy root veg). It actually calls for ghee--already got that in our pantries! Potatoes cooked in ghee is divine. 

- I'm not having cravings, just wants. Like when I see something in front of me that I can't have, I want it so bad. Like cheese. Whenever I see a commercial on TV with melty, gooey cheese, I have to look away. I buried the block of cheddar in the back of the drawer in the fridge so I don't have to see it. I also really want candy when I'm at work. There's a giant bowl of mini Snickers and things stationed near my desk. My coworkers eat it during staff meetings, and pass the bowl around. I looked in it yesterday and felt sad about the Baby Ruths I wasn't going to have. But then I passed the bowl on, and didn't think about it again. 

- Eating out so far has been ok, but I think I've been lucky about where I've gone. At one restaurant: fresh oysters, prime rib lettuce wraps (with no cream sauce) and grilled asparagus topped with an egg (asked them to cook in olive oil, not butter). That was pretty great. Other time, brought my own hard-boiled egg and a bag of coconut flakes and cashews, while everyone else was eating nachos. Kind of sucked, but not really, cause I know nachos would make me feel bad anyway. 

- Now for TMI - I have not been, uh, regular, for like the past 5 days. Wondering what's up with that, and if I should be getting more fiber. But how? All I can think is fruit. Is it ok to take fiber supplements? 

I don't know what I'm missing but I bought some Ghee at Wegman's and melted in a pan the other night when I was preparing Crab Legs. The smell nearly made me gag and then the taste? Bleck! What am I missing? I pretty much always cook with EVOO. 

I think ghee has a sweetness to it, which I didn't like in my eggs. I also noticed it doesn't burn off and blend into things very well. I used it to cook the onions for the butternut squash soup in the book and it just kind of pooled there, and after blended, made the soup taste way too buttery. After the soup cooled, the ghee rose in a fatty layer to the top, and I scraped it off. Much better. 

But in potatoes, some magic happens. 

I think ghee has a sweetness to it, which I didn't like in my eggs. I also noticed it doesn't burn off and blend into things very well. I used it to cook the onions for the butternut squash soup in the book and it just kind of pooled there, and after blended, made the soup taste way too buttery. After the soup cooled, the ghee rose in a fatty layer to the top, and I scraped it off. Much better. 

But in potatoes, some magic happens. 

I agree ghee and some potatoes. I also like to fry up some onions, mushrooms and peppers in it. i made that with some chicken in a cast iron skillet and the taste was fantastic! 

• Administrators

Hello! I haven't posted anything in a few days, but I have some observations. 

At first, breakfast filled me for like 6 hours, now I'm at 4. 

YES!!!!!!!!!!!  :D

Archived