Starting May 11th

Debzella

I have either become a much better cook, tenfold, or food is just tasting better  :P

Everything I make is A-Mazing tasting. Even flippn' EGGS  :o

:wub:  

I'd say you're a good cook. I read your description of your pork roast and immediately went to the store to get one. I'm making it tomorrow.  :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure you're an amazing cook Jeanie, but I, too, have noticed food is tasting better. My fruit this morning was so delicious to me. Insanely delicious! And yesterday was the first day I could honestly say La Croix sparkling water tasted good to me. 

Hey all just checking in!  I have no idea what day this is....11?  My work has been insane and I've been trying to use the computer less at night because I'm on it all day.

Breakfast - 2 eggs, 3 sausage patties, 1/2 english cucumber

Lunch - grilled chicken breast, 1/2 baked potato, 2 cups of steamed veggies, an apple

Plus I've had 2 cups of coffee today.  

Grilling some beef kebabs for dinner tonight, along with green beans, and corn on the cob and rice for my husband and sons.  I just want the beef :)

Well, it's taken me a while to check in today because it's been insanely busy around here! The morning didn't start out too well, both my husband and my alarms didn't go off and I was late getting to work which meant I didn't get to prep breakfast. But, I did manage to grab 4 raw eggs, leftover Brussels and an avocado to make at the office when I got there (along with all the lunch I had prepped the night before)...on the way in, I managed to crack half of my eggs and made a complete mess in the car....I was tempted to just go through a drive through and call it quits, but I got to work and made what was left of my food and ate it. THEN, I didn't get to eat lunch until after 2:30 because it's been crazy...Geesh. Can't wait to go to the salon tonight and "Reward" myself for the hard work of sticking with it! I almost feel like I'm back in the KATT stage!

Also, I have to travel to AZ this weekend to visit a friend and I'm nervous....First time going out of state with limitations in food and there are so many airport temptations. I have already had the conversation with my friend about what's going on and what I'm doing. She seems very supportive and already asked what I was eating so she could stock up before I arrive. I'm going to try and check in daily to stay on track and not be afraid to ask to go to the store or get different food. Wish me luck....

Hey everyone! I have been MIA. Life has been so busy. But, I'm kicking ass on day 11 and feeling pretty proud. This morning, I dug out a pair of sassy blue pants that I love so much! But I haven't worn them in several months because they fit too snug for my taste. Today, I pulled them right up and they fit perfectly! They probably could have even been a smidge tighter. NSV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

How's everyone else doing? Any other NSV's anyone wants to share for motivation? 

Tomorrow is Friday and we're headed in to a holiday weekend. Everyone stay strong!

Sorry i didnt mean to post that last one......

Cauliflower "Risotto"
- Head of Cauli
- Canned coconut milk
- Ghee
- Salt/pepper/parsely

Cut cauliflower in to pieces, boil until cooked. Drain. With cauliflower in pot, add about 1 tbsp of canned coconut milk, 2 tbsp ghee, good amount of salt, pepper, & parsley. Then, I used a potato masher spatula and mashed it up until it looked like creamy risotto! We had it with grilled blackened chicken on top. Hope someone will enjoy this as much as I did!

I can't believe I haven't posted since SATURDAY!! I'm still going strong though! I read through everything I missed so I could catch up with everyone.

I will probably miss a few days again since I'm going home to Indiana for the long weekend. I'm excited to get home and do some cooking with my parents since they are both doing the W30 also! My dad is going strong, but I think my mom is struggling a bit because she felt pressured to do this with my dad and I. She is really missing her coffee creamer and isn't dealing well with eggs in the morning. I'm hoping I can help her find some delicious things that she can premake for breakfasts since she has to leave home at 5:00am to be at work. 

My dad would be happy eating boiled chicken breast with broccoli everything (which sounds to boring to me), but my mom wants to spice things up a bit without having to do a ton of prep since she works some long hours most days. 

I order Nom Nom Paleo and had it shipped home so my plan is to experiment with some recipes that my parents can enjoy. 

It is usually a 9-10 hour drive home for me so today I'm planning on doing some meal prep for some things I can put in a cooler and bring with me to eat at rest stops on my way. I'm probably going to boil  some eggs and maybe prep some chicken and do a salad that I can eat when I stop. I already have some fruit and nuts that I could throw in as well. I also made my own jerky last week and it is AWESOME! It legit tastes like I'm eating chili. My boyfriend made it a bit spicy, but its still so good!

I've also been having some crazy dreams about cheating. Last night I dreamt that I accidentally, absent-mindedly at an M&M and in my dream I started yelling at my boyfriend that it was his fault that I ate it. I woke up feeling super guilty. Probably a mixture of eating the M&M and yelling at my boyfriend. Its not my first "cheat" dream which seems crazy to me, but apparently its more common than I thought.

Oh and a non-scale victory, my fingernails have never been so long! Usually they will go and then immediately break off or the top layer will peel off. It's only been 12 days, my goodness its like I've got talons! It must be all this healthy stuff I'm eating!

Woot to the non-scale victories! You are kicking it!

Breakfast was a 3 egg omelet with prosciutto. 

Lunch - leftover chicken sausage and veggies from last night. 

I've been feeling a little unfocused today, so I looked at my meals and realized I hadn't had a starchy vegetable in a while. So tonight I had a big baked sweet potato, pan-fried chicken breast and homemade coleslaw with homemade mayo. I feel much better. Sweet potatoes are the bomb!

The Y has yoga at 8:30 pm Monday through Thursday. I went last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm going again tonight.

So far, my NSV is that my pants are fitting better. I can live with that.  :)

Hi there- I know we're on day 11- but better late than never- Hello! I also started on 5/11. Been meaning to post but had some technical difficulties that have since been resolved. This group is awesome and is totally keeping me on track. This is my 2nd attempt at a W30- i tried one last year but didn't make it very far. I was calling it my "Whole 5" because I was indulging in some wine on the weekends only. But, of course you know how that goes. So now- take 2! Day 11! Been having the typical timeline symptoms, sometimes all on the same day. Thank you LadyShanny for having those links in your signature- i reference them often. Today i feel really good. My energy is sustained, no ups and downs and have a generally positive outlook overall. I have been cooking and cooking and washing dishes and more dishes, but it is worth it. Pork roast in the slow cooker, roasting big batches of chicken thighs and veggies, and made a pot of the chocolate chili. Ever hear of the 7 P's? Proper Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance. C'mon- say it out loud!! I'm preppin like a crazy woman and that's the key for me. I am prepared! My lunch bag weighs more than my purse, but i don't have to worry about where i'm gonna have to dig up breakfast or lunch in a pinch. I am worried about this weekend- have a big BBQ and everyone is going to expect me to have a cocktail, dreading having to explain- but I am sticking to the plan, i feel to good to throw it all away.

Later sweet potaters  :)

Welcome Mighty - glad you're here! I had to LOL when you described your lunch bag, I totally can relate. In fact, I've started using a back pack! The lunch bag wasn't nearly big enough, and I stuff the back pack too!  :D 

GUESS WHAT!?!? I went to my doctor this afternoon (I hurt a tendon in my foot - no biggie), and I succeeded in not looking when I got weighed! :o Whew!

I was dreading that all day! I was really hoping I could be that strong and not look and... I DID IT! Woot Woot!  :)  :P 

Thats certainly my NSV!! LITERALLY!!!  :rolleyes: 

And, my blood pressure is 112/70, cool as a cucumber! It's normally around 125/80, still normal, but wow 112? Cool!

It's been fun reading about everyone's cheat dreams, hasn't happened to me yet. I've been sleeping like a log! ZZZzzzz

Ok - off to watch my BLACKHAWKS - Go Hawks!

DAY 9 

M1 9 AM: sauteed onion, cabbage in ghee, beef, tomato sauce & two fried eggs on top

M2 3 PM BAS  w hard boiled egg, beets, acorn squash, tuna fish and creamy balsamic dressing

M3 11 PM: fruit and nuts. yeah, that was dinner. too lazy/ tired/ late. 

you know what was hard to find: olive oil! just plain olive oil to make mayo with. they don't sell it at whole foods or at my co op. 
For those of you with tremendous allergies, you're not alone! wow, what a crazy allergy day. was so out of it had to lie down around 5. 
can't wait to make that cauliflower risotto recipe!

Some smoked fish is compliant and some isn't. It's possible to make it without sugar, but many companies use sugar. Without a label, there's really no way to know. Save it for after your whole30.

thank you 

Happy Day 11 everyone!  I'm reading through all of the posts and nodding my head in agreement and approval.  Agreement with everyone and apporval with myself.  I'm going to jot down a bit of a confession here.  So I can type it, and read it, and reread it.  And if you read it and it resonates at all with you then all the better. 

It's amazing what you an do for yourself when you want too, and when you're ready too.  I attempted this back in November and made it to Day 17.  I feel off of the wagon and wanted to get back on.  I just couldn't get there.  About a month ago something changed for me. 

I had a friend here at work get sick.  This gentleman is about 7 years older than me.  He doesn't drink at all but he loves to eat.  He's always going out to lunch or dinner.  Loves his sweets.  He wasn't super heavy but definitely had a bit of a belly.  He kept saying he just wasn't feeling right.  His doctor had him sent for a colonoscopy.  They didn't find anything but didn't like how his EKG looked during the procedure.  So they sent him for a stress test a few days later.  He failed it on a Friday.  By Monday he had a heart cath and had to have three stents put in.  Yikes.  If he didn't go for the first procedure?  If he had a heart attack....the damage might have killed him.  I don't want this to be me. 

The reality of my situation hit me.  Only 47 but feeling older, looking older.  Food, bad food and some drinks had become the means of filling a void.  It came down to a choice in my eyes.  Either continue and eventually have my health become my downfall, or take more control.   Since then I've gone to my doctor.  Started on high blood pressure medication.  Had a sleep study.  Went on Cpap therapy.  Have been walking everyday.  Started this again.  I've had this planned in my head but never felt like taking action.  I've changed.  I know I've lost weight.  I feel better.  I feel like I've taken control.  We don't have much control in our lives.  We really don't.  There are so many external things that have a bearing on us.  Eating isn't one of them and it will no longer control me.  I'm giving myself credit for taking control and wanting and demanding a healthier version of myself. 

With a huge smile and a big hug for myself.........I wish everyone on here the strength to accomplish your goals and to feel awesome about yourself.

Hooray Jeffrey for making yourself a priority, well done 

Hi everyone ... well I would never have believed it in a million years - 12 days and no alcohol!!!!

Wow everyone's posts are so great and inspiring - all those NSV's too! I have not had any food dreams yet - CC - yours sounded really weird!

Jeanie - did you ask the doc not to tell you? Well done I am sure I would have peaked!

I am on track but having an awful day today - initially my fault then later largely out of my control. My day started by getting up at 7.30, showered etc ready to pick up daughter and grand daughter t 8.45 to take them to school as it was raining and she doesn't drive - had coffee before I left and planned to cook Meal 1 for D and myself (I am trying to encourage her to do this - I am sure she would benefit but that is another story). Got home cooked breakfast 6 egg omelette with blanched vegies - broccoli, snow peas, capsicum/peppers and zuchini - it was good (D had toast with hers  <_<). By the time we ate it was already 11am - how did that happen!

Then I had to wrangle multiple phone calls to Foxtel and Optus as well as a technician onsite to move wires - another long story - still raining - needed to go to the bank and shops and return in time for us to pick up GD from kindergarten but had to be home until tech finished - filled in the time by blanching vegs to freeze!! 

Finally all finished 1.30 and we went out about 20 min drive did a super quick shop and returned home at 3pm in time to take shopping in before getting back in the car to go to the school. picked up GD took them home came home myself - more phone calls with Optus who are sending out a tech at 1or 2am to move our wires (that is not an error it is in the middle of the night and they may need assistance - HUH!!! did you notice no meal 2 in all this and it iwas by then 5 15pm??? sooooooo - had a coffee (I know, I know - old habits and all that - my 4th for the day - not much water have to pick that up this evening) and 3 dates (yes SWMPO - but better than having something non compliant.

Just juiced 15 lemons and 10 limes ready to freeze for later use. about to get meal 3 (as completely skipped #2) left over chicken cacciatore and lots of vegs with some potato, sweet potato and pumpkin mash. 

Still waiting for the roar ... even a purr would be nice :) have definitely lost some rolls around the middle and under my chin!!!!

My skin is better - nails awful - I think it will take some time for them to change as I don't really think the currently visible nail will change as it is dead tissue I think I will have to wait for the new nail to come through.

Still feeling tall, body feels light and I feel happy - my mental clarity and mood has improved beyond belief. Before Whole30 I was beginning to think I was getting "old timers disease" with difficulty concentrating; forgetting mid sentence what I was saying frequently , feeling "empty headed" that actually nothing was happening in my brain at all - empty head - no synapses evident; repeatedly check times and other details for social or other appointments - had toi write everything down in case I forgot. Since starting W30 I now remember details including shopping items without a list, directions, phone numbers and dates. I feel I can have a reasonable conversation too - I am so happy and thinking of going back to work (I had to leave work unexpectedly Feb 2012 - I am a nurse/midwife with adult ed quals who was working in a nurse educator role - I went through a huge identity crisis when I left work before starting my own business which I had to shut down as I was losing money in December 2014. I think I could manage an interview now - definitely would not have handled the questions before ... I think I would have just looked blank as I struggled to answer.

Sorry that was sooooo long winded just had to share - husband out with work colleagues and I needed to share my day thank goodness for this space.

Looking forward to day 13 tomorrow will make sure I have 3 meals - have the first before coffee, keep the coffees to 2 or 3 up the water and take some time for myself. I have also been attending a 5 week well being program currently in 2nd week - all is coming together brilliantly - The mantra I have been given for the 5 weeks is "I bring my life into balance by loving myself" - Jeffrey17 that one is for you too 

Good morning friends.

Day 13 here.  Day 12 was complete exhaustion!  I haven't felt really bad in the early weeks so I'm trying not to whine.  I felt so bad that I almost skipped spin.  It always makes me feel more energized though, and last night was no exception.  It's Friday and for me and DH that means going out to eat and playing poker.  Last week really wasn't that hard not to drink even though all my buddies were.  Hopefully this week isn't that bad as well. 

Checking in early today because I feel like I really, REALLY need it today. I woke up feeling like the incredible hulk....crazed, angry, HUGE, mad...everything was wrong, everything anyone did was incorrect. I think I bit my husband's head off for an early breakfast snack...OMG, poor guy. My clothes weren't fitting right and just a day or so ago I was feeling "better" in my skin and seeing the results. Good thing it's casual Friday at the office because I threw on a sweatshirt and said screw it! And I think AF is also playing a part in this but GOOD LORD. It's 8AM and all I can think about is breakfast sandwiches and liquor. I know everyone is being so positive and usually I fall in that boat, but today is like a cyclone hit and threw me back to day 3! AGH! Gonna stick to plan, but I want to pull all my hair out!

Good Morning everyone! It is day 9 for me and all I want to do is take a nap. :( I'm really am tired this morning. I hope that I can wake up here. I ran last night and I was a minute and half less then what I've been clocking! I was excited about that. Not sure if it was the diet or if it was my new running shoes, but I felt like I was flying!  :lol: Hope everyone has a great weekend! My goal is to stop the grazing and boredom eating! I am keeping myself very busy this weekend so I hope that will help! My life is not about food... not anymore... 

Good morning! Day 12, and I had to stop and count the days because I lost track momentarily. I guess that's a good sign that the amount of days is becoming less important and the process and the results are the focus now.

Bricky - That is so exciting that you're experiencing all these wonderful changes. What you wrote this morning struck a chord with me. I was experiencing some of the symptoms that you describe, too. I'm 59, and I was starting to wonder if I was starting my slow descent into old age. I felt like I was thinking through a fog most days, I wasn't sleeping and I was bloated and tired. Everything hurt and I was getting these weird symptoms of my leg muscles just burning all night long. I was drinking wine four nights out of seven, and chasing it with snacks until bed, and then worried about reflux in the middle of the night, so I was sleeping on pillows to avoid choking to death. I just felt dull, and slow thinking, and anxious all the time. Ha - sounds like I was a train wreck when I actually write it down.

I was doing all these self-help books, in an effort to break through the fog, but nothing was connecting fully. Journaling every morning. And it was helping, but I just couldn't get it right. Then I found Whole30, and I got a very strong feeling that this was where I needed to be. 

The first thing Whole30 did was take away my wine and goodies, of course. And I've noticed as I progress, that I am waking up, and I am so alert and tuned into life that it is a little bit scary how foggy I was before. And I do feel taller, and proactive, and productive for the first time in a long time. I look around my house, and my life, and I'm realizing all the things that I let go over time. You are inspiring me to look for a new job that is not so soul-sucking, and I actually have a job interview next week. I feel very prepared for it, where if it had happened pre-whole30, I would have wondered if I should even try.

Tiger, thy name is empowerment! >^..^< 

It's been very eye-opening. I can go back in time, and feel younger, think younger, and (fingers crossed) look a little younger. I've lost the bloat in my face and belly and I feel like I am bounding through life instead of limping. (My 59 year old joints are saying, yeah, okay, we're bounding as fast as we can… ) That's my NSV so far.

And we're not even done yet, :)

Breakfast - BoC, with eggplant curry leftovers and 3 eggs.

Lunch - Out with my son, to the same restaurant we went to last Friday. They have a great compliant salad with seared tuna.

Dinner - Jeanie's pork roast!!! Can't wait! with sweet potatoes and complaint coleslaw.

Have a better day, Mcki! And Amanda, you will kick it at poker!

Happy, happy day everyone!  :D

Day 12!  And Memorial Day Weekend on the horizon.  I can't remember a Mem Day Wknd without wine/beer! Eeek!  We are planning to hang home for the long weekend and do projects around the house - inside and out.  

We're going to make the Kalua Pork from NNP on Saturday and BBQ ribs on Monday!  I'm attempting a recipe for BBQ sauce I found The Healthy Foodie Blog.  

Good luck everyone!

Hi everyone

said it b4 but gonna again your posts are so encouraging!

Have had yucky 2 days with hormones etc and have been so close to saying "i can't do this!" But i knew that wine and dark chocolate wouldn't have made me feel any better although my mind was telling me that they would. So glad i didn't listen as today feel like i could take on the world! Even the ironing coz yes the mountain is stiil there!

I can relate Debzella - ive kept a journal ooccasionally since January and i read my first entry - i described myself "at present overweight - 90% of the time tired and grummpy woman . My goal was this year to be happy :) not just with my outward appearance but also with the person i am inside.

Ive had how shall i say complicated time family wise for last few years and sometimes you give so much there's nothing left for you. Does anyone else relate to this? You're so busy helping others and making they're life easier you forget about yourself? Anyway this year im stil doing what i can,but im making a conscious effort to look after and care for myself too.

This is my second whole30 and ive lost about 2 stone (i think) im fitting into clothes ive been unable to wear for years. Now the initial detox yuck is over i feel positive, motivated and better than i have in such a long time. No amount of wine and chocolate would give me that. Well maybe a couple of bottles of red would for couple of hours!

So in few weeks time im going on holiday with my hubby and my friends and i fully intend to 1. wear a bikini 2. dance like nobody's looking and 3. Have FUN.

Right ironing you're gonna get it!

Hello positive people. Things took a turn yesterday for me. I was thinking about how I have a friend coming to visit next week and I want to do all the fun things, go out to eat, drink on a patio by a lake, the usual fun summer stuff. I know I can still do those things, but it feels like not fully, and it got me bummed. 

So then I started thinking about how much I wanted a cocktail or glass of wine, and it got me kind of grumpy. 

Went home from work starving, and sooooo tired of cooking and cleaning. Then it turned out I didn't have 1 ingredient I needed to make salmon cakes (almond flour) and I had no compliant substitute. Good lord, I did not want more eggs for dinner. So I didn't know what to do. I stood at the open refrigerator, looking for anything I could eat that I actually wanted, crying.

I knew I needed to go to the store, but couldn't go in that hungry state. I was so ready to just say, forget it, let's go get pizza. Thank god for my partner, who reminded me I didn't really want to quit, I was just cranky because I was hungry. So, we walked to a nearby restaurant where I got them to modify some steak with chimichurri and asparagus, which made me feel a lot better. 

At the store, things weren't great. I bought compliant foods, but with an emphasis on comfort foods. Got some prosciutto, smoked salmon, canteloupe, things I wanted right then that would make me happy. I see the emotional part of this is real--when I feel tired of the Whole 30 and left out of "regular" eating, I only want things that will make me feel comforted. So, even though everything I got was on plan, I'm feeling a little guilty about it. 

When I got home, I ate the whole container of canteloupe. It was so sweet and delicious. I knew it was wrong, by Whole 30 guidelines, to turn to that for a sweet fix, for comfort food, and to eat all of it. But I didn't care. It made me feel so much better, and there are worse things I could eat than a pint of melon. I probably won't do that again, though. 

Had a restless sleep and skipped my gym class this morning, but my mood is finally starting to improve. Worried a little about the hard days ahead, though. It would be so easy to just quit.... How to get through a sunny holiday weekend, a visit from a friend, an upcoming road trip--all the times I'd usually have pigged out? 30 days is starting to feel very long....

When I got home, I ate the whole container of canteloupe. It was so sweet and delicious. I knew it was wrong, by Whole 30 guidelines, to turn to that for a sweet fix, for comfort food, and to eat all of it. But I didn't care. It made me feel so much better, and there are worse things I could eat than a pint of melon. I probably won't do that again, though. 

Had a restless sleep and skipped my gym class this morning, but my mood is finally starting to improve. Worried a little about the hard days ahead, though. It would be so easy to just quit.... How to get through a sunny holiday weekend, a visit from a friend, an upcoming road trip--all the times I'd usually have pigged out? 30 days is starting to feel very long....

I'm the same boat as you, Sista!!!! WE got this....The weekend is going to be tough...but, just take it one day at a time. We're almost half way through!

Archived