Starting May 11th

Debzella

• Administrators

Hello everyone! Day 1 went pretty smoothly. The hardest part was saying no to the GIANT bowl of candy on the desk next to mine, which is always magically replenishing with the good stuff. This has been my go-to whenever I get hungry between meals at work (and then usually spoil my meals). Luckily, I have NOT been hungry at all these past 1.5 days because I find the portions on the 7-day meal plan to be enormous.

Has anyone else had this issue? Eating half a fritatta was just not possible; I could barely get down a quarter of it. 1.5 cans of tuna for lunch? Insane. I'm feeling uncomfortably full, almost nauseous, after every meal so far. But I'm following the guidelines, as well as the recipes in the book. Almost all of those recipes make 2 servings, which just seems crazy to me. I can't keep up with the actual meal plan; I have too many leftovers. 

So I'm eating slightly less than is called for, but certainly enough to completely turn me off to snacking the rest of the day. Is that the goal? 

Day 1

Breakfast: 1/4 spinach, tomato and onion frittata (1.5 eggs worth), 1/4 avocado, 3 strawberries

Lunch: 1.5 cans tuna in water with homemade mayo, tablespoon ranch dressing, bed of raw baby spinach, 1 pickle, 1 apple

Dinner: 1/3 lb ground turkey with homemade tomato sauce, 1/4 roasted spaghetti squash

Day 2

Breakfast: 1/4 spinach, tomato and onion frittata (1.5 eggs worth), 1/4 avocado, 3 strawberries

Lunch: 1.5 cans tuna in water with homemade mayo, chopped olives, 1 bell pepper, carrot and celery sticks, 1 apple

Dinner: 1/3 lb ground turkey with homemade tomato sauce, 1/4 roasted spaghetti squash (planned)

I haven't read the new book yet so I am not familiar with the recipes but I can see that you are struggling with meal sizes which is pretty common at the beginning, we're a culture of grazers, unfortunately that is not how we were designed biologically.  Eggs, when they are your protein, are as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping.  For most women that's at least 3-4.  The half a frittata would have been 3 eggs worth.  

Even though you are struggling to consume the recommended amounts now, keep working at it.  Keep making that template meal (template linked in my signature below) and eat as much as you can.  Pack it up, take it with you, eat it again as soon as you are able.  It is pretty critical to get these three good sized meals dialled in because they are the minimum required for adult nutrition.  These meals are also tied directly to hormone balancing, blood sugar regulation and eventually the "magic" that can be experienced as you get further into the program.

The meal template is the minimum that you should be eating.  Keep trying!  :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snacking and hand to mouth all day grazing is discouraged, yes. We recommend and prefer that you create your meals to keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours.  If you are hungry between meals we recommend a mini meal of at least protein and fat but ideally also veggies.  Fruits and nuts eaten alone are not recommended and can cause blood sugar fluctuations and volatile energy as well as late day cravings for some people. Nuts can be foods without brakes (ie, can't stop at a couple) for some people and can also cause digestive distress in many.

You are so right! Of course ;-)

I read the book so fast this past weekend that I'm sure a few things have slipped my mind. No snacks and if we must snack, make sure they are the combination described.  Thanks for the reminder...I'm going to read the book again, slower this time.  ;)

Jeanie

Thanks to the organizer of this forum.

I did my first WHOLE 30 from the end of December thru January and experienced all of the great changes.  I didn't have time to exercise much the first time around because work was overwhelmingly busy and it took most of my effort to get the eating/cooking part right.  Now I have time to do both - eat well and exercise.  I'm looking forward to what changes this will bring. I will be glad to read about other people's experiences and learn along the way. 

Day 2 is going well.  Yesterday after work I did my meal prep for today (breakfast & lunch) which allowed me to exercise for 30 minutes this morning before going to work.  When I get home it will be no TV but rather time in the kitchen cooking dinner and prepping for Day 3.

Hey Deb, your headache could actually be because you are underfueling yourself.  Eggs when they are a singular protein is as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping; for even teh smallest women that's usually 3-4.  3 oz of salmon is not a lot.  Not enough at all. 

Have you reviewed the template for meal balance and portion sizes? Are your meals keeping you satisfied for 4-5 hours? 

Hi Ladyshanny, thanks for the feedback. My meals have been keeping me satisfied between meals, which is miraculous for me. Usually I'm grazing all day.  :) I did think that the salmon wasn't going to be enough for lunch, but frugal me wanted to save half the can for tomorrow. :huh: Now I know that I should stick to the recommended portion sizes. For dinner, I did eat 3 chicken legs. and 2 bowls of the eggplant. That's a large size dinner for me. Do you think I got the amount right on the chicken, or did I go overboard?

Thanks for the links, too. I'll check them out.

• Administrators

Hi Ladyshanny, thanks for the feedback. My meals have been keeping me satisfied between meals, which is miraculous for me. Usually I'm grazing all day.  :) I did think that the salmon wasn't going to be enough for lunch, but frugal me wanted to save half the can for tomorrow. :huh: Now I know that I should stick to the recommended portion sizes. For dinner, I did eat 3 chicken legs. and 2 bowls of the eggplant. That's a large size dinner for me. Do you think I got the amount right on the chicken, or did I go overboard?

Thanks for the links, too. I'll check them out.

Chicken legs as in drumsticks? That sounds about right to me. Don't be scared of eating too much when it's healthy, whole foods. The "rules" that we've all been told about portion control and restriction don't count when we're eating whole30 foods. :)

Hello everyone

I am wondering how you all feel on Day 3 - it is nearly 5pm here and so far I feel absolutely fine - I have read about all the nasty's to expect on day 3 and so far I have non of these - might come tomorrow!

I have a question - this is my first time doing forum stuff - how do you put in the extract of something someone else said that you wish to comment? Is it a simple copy and paste or something else - I notice some of you have done it - mcki0133 and kwaller1030 it comes up in a grey box and says soandso said ....

Anyway I wanted to reply to Nickiechan - re the mayo I watched the video by "clothesmakethegirl" that was recommended by someone earlier this is the link http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/08/19/mayo-how-to-video/it worked very well for me.

Debzella I have not spent so much time in the kitchen since my 20's (now 61 - those prepackaged ingredients sure do save time!!!) and I am really enjoying it. The bone broth took about 1 to 11/2 hours - I did not really time it as I was busy juggling everything else. It was really nice - probably needed a little more salt - I dont usually add salt when cooking so err on the side of caution. I was able to use the broth to make butternut squash soup straight away though which was good - I think I was in the kitchen from about 2pm until 6.30pm but mostly because I did no plan well. I will definitely do the broth in the pressure cooker again especially as the beef bone broth I made in the slow cooker boiled over and made a bit of a mess between the ceramic insert and the main housing.

Today I am making the chicken cacciatore from the Whole30 book - it does not take so much time :)

A little bit about me for those intereseted I am 61 (said that already), I have three children all married with wonderful partners and I have 4 grandchildren between the ages of 11 months and 6 years - another one on the way. I have always struggled with weight and food and am really looking forward to food freedom. also going on a holiday where I will need to wear a swim suit so hoping to loose about 10-15kgs before September and then hopefully another 10 after that before stabilising ... fingers crossed.

Have a great day 3 everyone - hope you are all feeling good and not suffering the side effects too much today.

Thanks for all your input, ladyshanny!!

bricky - there is a little button right under the post, underneath "like this" button, that says "Quote".

Success at bunco last night.  I'm usually the one that drinks all the beer (that's how we talk around here, right - lol ).  I ate before I got there and had iced tea with lemon.  Friends were supportive.  They even ordered for me!  They totally missed the protein tho! 

11259478_10205901957923055_1949586863220

Hello! So my first two days have gone well and I have lots of food stocked but learning that I should have done more meal prep as my meals are compliant just boring. I love coffe and found the bulletproof brand to be he best black, I didn't want to even trempt myself with coconut milk since that is what I usually use just sweetened. With a 4 month old and 6 year old meal prep is getting hard as my husband is working 1-11pm this week and I work 8-5, so flying solo with kids-ugh! I loved the sweet potatoes and peppers I sauté with olive oil! I started having my groceries delivered so I am not tempted to buy he bad stuff while I am at the store and it worked awesome! Does anyone have a good marinade for chicken? I am trying the vinegrette today? I need to grill some chicken tonight! So far bad headache day two, sugars are my downfall and I am determined to a break myself of this! I remember how the day by day of how I feel was so right on last time, just waiting for the kill all things day! Good luck everyone! Ready to start my day!

Arin - I make a huge batch of chili to freeze too. It's the best ever to have a quick go-to meal when you need something quick! :)

My day 1 went well. I was also able to prep mayo, ranch, and sunshine sauce. We grilled a big batch of chicken to have for lunches this week.

Last night for dinner we had chocolate chili from The Clothes Make the Girl blog (sooooo good, highly recommend making a huge batch to eat and freeze for later), with cabbage/broccoli/carrot/red and green onions slaw with evoo and apple cider vinegar.

My awful caffeine/sugar withdrawal hit yesterday afternoon. It's still here, a bit milder at least. I went to bootcamp this morning and are a large breakfast of chicken apple sausage, 3 eggs, some spinach and green onion all scrambled. I was so hungry by the time I finally ate. I need to work on eating as soon as I'm done exercising, but I get caught up in work and time slips away quickly. But I'm hoping the extra egg will keep me filled up a bit better.

I think I'll be having a big salad with grilled chicken for lunch, and maybe roasted chicken breasts with roasted Brussel sprouts for dinner. Hmm, that's a lot of chicken. I may need to rethink that! I may have to use my pressure cooker tonight...

Hey Happycarter! I have a pretty simple marinade for any kind of chicken/pork that I use! I use EVOO, coconut aminos, balsamic vinegar, squeeze of lime, and lots of spices! I usually use garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, pepper, basil leaf, thyme and anything else I feel like throwing in! 

Hello! So my first two days have gone well and I have lots of food stocked but learning that I should have done more meal prep as my meals are compliant just boring. I love coffe and found the bulletproof brand to be he best black, I didn't want to even trempt myself with coconut milk since that is what I usually use just sweetened. With a 4 month old and 6 year old meal prep is getting hard as my husband is working 1-11pm this week and I work 8-5, so flying solo with kids-ugh! I loved the sweet potatoes and peppers I sauté with olive oil! I started having my groceries delivered so I am not tempted to buy he bad stuff while I am at the store and it worked awesome! Does anyone have a good marinade for chicken? I am trying the vinegrette today? I need to grill some chicken tonight! So far bad headache day two, sugars are my downfall and I am determined to a break myself of this! I remember how the day by day of how I feel was so right on last time, just waiting for the kill all things day! Good luck everyone! Ready to start my day!

So good morning, day 3! I'm greeting this day feeling a bit sluggish, mild headache and seriously struggled through my 8 mile run this morning. Hello, hangover phase! This just tells me how much this W30 is needed for me since my body is detoxing like this. I plan to get some usage of out my peppermint oil today to ward off this headache and take a nice epsom salt bath tonight before bed. Anyone else struggling today??

I hope everyone's having a great day3 so far! I love keeping up with each other and finding motivation here. You are all amazing! :) 

You regularly consume 12 cups of coffee? That's quite a lot and hard on your adrenals.  Are you considering cutting back or cutting out for this Whole30?  Does that amount of coffee displace water consumption?

Thank you for the comment ladyshanny - yes unfortunately I do (did) drink that much coffee and next to no water - and of course I know it is no good for me. I am trying to fit in more water and today had 3 coffees and 1 decaf. I did not consider cutting it out at this stage just hoping to get to a normal consumption level  :unsure:

I totally forgot to post yesterday. I ate well, but was a huge cranky, tired mess. I did my yoga in the morning as usual. Breakfast was a stir fry of leftover chicken, roasted tomatoes, and collard greens. Lunch was a huge salad with olives, avocado, artichoke hearts and turkey. Dinner was roasted chicken and sweet potatoes. 

I love reading about all the yummy food everyone is eating.  :D

Thanks Amanda for telling me about the quote button .... and great work on your outing. I have a birthday BBQ here on Saturday ... I always drink wine .... and eat nibblies ... it will be the first social challenge on my Whole30 journey hoping all goes well. I need the challenge and success to make me ready for the next ones,  there is another birthday party in two weeks time and it is our turn to host our regular champagne brunch here with my husbands school friends on 24 May. I was going to wait until June 1 but then I thought "no time like the present" and by June 1 I will be on the home stretch  - how cool is that!

bricky - there is a little button right under the post, underneath "like this" button, that says "Quote".

Success at bunco last night.  I'm usually the one that drinks all the beer (that's how we talk around here, right - lol ).  I ate before I got there and had iced tea with lemon.  Friends were supportive.  They even ordered for me!  They totally missed the protein tho! 

Good morning! I was so happy to see breakfast this morning!! I don't think I ate enough protein yesterday and woke up in the middle of the night starving. But I didn't get up and eat anything. I just laid there waiting for morning. lol. So…. this morning… I had onion, potato and kalamata olive hash, with three poached eggs on top. (Thank you, Ladyshanny) :) Delicious and filling. My headache from last night seems to be gone and another plus, my midsection rolls seem to be smaller, somewhat. I am resisting the urge to step on the scale, which is hard because weighing myself everyday is what I do, even if I don't like the numbers. 

Brava, Amanda79 for emerging victorious!

Bricky - I will probably go check out pressure cookers today. The bone broth sounds really good, as does the butternut squash soup. I've always been a little nervous around pressure cookers, but I am determined to master it. That, and mayo.... lol.

Arin - Chocolate Chili? Yes, please!

Kwaller - your marinade sounds fantastic! 

A little more about me. I am 59, and a registered nurse. I was diagnosed with dermatomyositis, twenty years ago, as well as fibromyalgia, and vasculitis. I don't let it hold me back, but I do have chronic pain everyday. I have three grown children, who are doing very well, although my middle daughter deals with multiple autoimmune issues, too, so I'm very interested to see if this program helps with symptoms, because I know that she will try it too. No grandkids as yet. But I do have 2 cats, and thirty extra pounds. :) My job is very sedentary, I work at home, as an oncall, after hours nurse. 

I'm so glad we are all here, sharing our experiences and our meal plans. Thanks, all!

Hello everyone

I am wondering how you all feel on Day 3 - it is nearly 5pm here and so far I feel absolutely fine - I have read about all the nasty's to expect on day 3 and so far I have non of these - might come tomorrow!

I have a question - this is my first time doing forum stuff - how do you put in the extract of something someone else said that you wish to comment? Is it a simple copy and paste or something else - I notice some of you have done it - mcki0133 and kwaller1030 it comes up in a grey box and says soandso said ....

Anyway I wanted to reply to Nickiechan - re the mayo I watched the video by "clothesmakethegirl" that was recommended by someone earlier this is the link http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/08/19/mayo-how-to-video/it worked very well for me.

Debzella I have not spent so much time in the kitchen since my 20's (now 61 - those prepackaged ingredients sure do save time!!!) and I am really enjoying it. The bone broth took about 1 to 11/2 hours - I did not really time it as I was busy juggling everything else. It was really nice - probably needed a little more salt - I dont usually add salt when cooking so err on the side of caution. I was able to use the broth to make butternut squash soup straight away though which was good - I think I was in the kitchen from about 2pm until 6.30pm but mostly because I did no plan well. I will definitely do the broth in the pressure cooker again especially as the beef bone broth I made in the slow cooker boiled over and made a bit of a mess between the ceramic insert and the main housing.

Today I am making the chicken cacciatore from the Whole30 book - it does not take so much time :)

A little bit about me for those intereseted I am 61 (said that already), I have three children all married with wonderful partners and I have 4 grandchildren between the ages of 11 months and 6 years - another one on the way. I have always struggled with weight and food and am really looking forward to food freedom. also going on a holiday where I will need to wear a swim suit so hoping to loose about 10-15kgs before September and then hopefully another 10 after that before stabilising ... fingers crossed.

Have a great day 3 everyone - hope you are all feeling good and not suffering the side effects too much today.

Bricky, I'm on day 3 today and woke up feeling good, too...no headaches or any of the nasty's the discussed in the book or on the website...I'm nervous they will come on a different day and I'll freak out but I guess all we can do is be glad we're staying on track and feeling good!!

Keep on keeping on!

Thanks Jeannie793 for issuing the challenge - I will definitely try to do something tomorrow :)

Bricky - I walked 20 minutes today - it's a start! Let's try do to something everyday and build our stamina back up!

Good job everyone.  Keep up with the posts and the healthy eating.  I'm having zero issues so far.  I'm super focused and have to keep it going.  My gut already feels better going into Day 3........amazing.

Bricky - I will probably go check out pressure cookers today. The bone broth sounds really good, as does the butternut squash soup. I've always been a little nervous around pressure cookers, but I am determined to master it. That, and mayo.... lol.

Pressure cookers are so good - you can whip a soup in a jiffy - nothing really to be nervous about although the noise they make can be a little scary until you get used to it just make sure you read the manual first - have fun :)

Bricky, I'm on day 3 today and woke up feeling good, too...no headaches or any of the nasty's the discussed in the book or on the website...I'm nervous they will come on a different day and I'll freak out but I guess all we can do is be glad we're staying on track and feeling good!!

Keep on keeping on!

mcki133 I'll be thinking of you tomorrow morning - I am about to go to bed and I think I can feel a touch of a headache  :(... have a good day 

Good Morning everyone! Day 3!! I am noticing some odd things and wondering if they should be of concern. I have been incredibly gassy, I am chalking it up as eating too much spinach and my lunch almonds. I cut those out today to see if that helps. Also I noticed that my hair has been falling out in the shower this morning... I'm not sure if this is because my daughter is semi-self weaning (we still breastfeed) or change in hormones.

Last night I feel like I had 'Sex with my pants on' as my son wanted to make more curly fries with our cool spiral veggie cutter. I ate most of them... as I read that with headaches/migraines to not be afraid of the starchy vegetables, however that isn't going to help me lose the weight. It is a process and I'm still trying to help with binging, even on the healthy items... I felt guilty, however I did feel good that I didn't binge on, say Martin's Potatoes Chips!

I am feeling extremely empowered for making healthy choices! I'm keeping up with the blog to keep accountable! 

I'm also not having much withdrawal.  On the TMI front, I'm not going to the bathroom very well.  It was better this morning, but not good.  My self-esteem is through the roof!  Bought a new dress yesterday and feel like I am rocking it today!

Hi everyone,

a beautiful day here in Scotland! Sitting with my princess for 10 minutes while she watches Horrid Henry on Tv. Anyway so far so good but the sugar dragon is making a call on me a bit today if im honest but i will not give in !

Anyway a question what is EVO i think that's what someone said anyway?

Jane

• Administrators

Hi everyone,

a beautiful day here in Scotland! Sitting with my princess for 10 minutes while she watches Horrid Henry on Tv. Anyway so far so good but the sugar dragon is making a call on me a bit today if im honest but i will not give in !

Anyway a question what is EVO i think that's what someone said anyway?

Jane

EVOO is extra virgin olive oil.  :)

• Administrators

Good Morning everyone! Day 3!! I am noticing some odd things and wondering if they should be of concern. I have been incredibly gassy, I am chalking it up as eating too much spinach and my lunch almonds. I cut those out today to see if that helps. 

Raw veggies and nuts can both be gut disruptive, for sure!

Archived