Starting May 11th

Debzella

Inspired by Mcki, here's my before and after. The one on the left is from about 2 weeks prior to starting the Whole 30. The one on the right is from just now. 

Do you see a difference? (Besides the hair color?)

YEAOW MAMA! love the hair color (and the cute earrings :) not to mention, totally see a difference in the face, and i don't know if it's the lighting or what, but your skin is glowing :) also: you have balls of steel to be at a dairy and not taste the cheese. bless you girl, now that's impressive!  

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know we have some Chicago Blackhawk fans on here - so congrats! I'm from Cleveland and a HUGE Cavs fan so we're really hoping for a win tonight in Cleveland!!! Go Cavs!!!!

During the actual Whole30, I never got sick of eggs (thankfully)! But today I was ready to barf (well, not really) as I was eating my eggs. I know the high & mighty timeline mentions something about ready to scream if you see another egg - well I'm feeling like that now. I know "they" suggest mixing up Meal 1 and eating soup or other meat & veggies, but all I wanted was a frickin' doughnut! However, I realized that the doughnut would soooo not be worth it. 

Anyone else feeling sick of eggs? I need suggestions!

Sounds like everyone else is doing very well but feeling the struggles of off-roading. It's definitely way easier when you have the rules of W30 to fall back on.

I'm originally from the Cleveland area. I grew up an Indians, Browns, and Cavs fan....I know how dedicated Cleveland fans are...hoping for a win for you tonight. It is crazy here in Chicago....was a great night for our beloved Blackhawks Hockey team!

when I went back to W30 eating plus half & half in my coffee every morning, it didn't take but about a week to 10 days before some aches and pains I'd had before that had gone away during my W30 came back, so it's still definitely not good for me.

interesting how results may not show up for a week or so. good to know, thanks Shannon!

I'm doing my first reintroduction today: white rice. in a couple days, I'll do soy sauce. this is in preparation for (hopefully!) reintroducing sushi, which, like everyone else on this forum it seems, i miss quite a bite (haha freudian typo?)

i've been madly craving vinegar'd and fermented foods this month (anyone else? is it from sugar withdrawal?) and have been brewing kombucha, and waiting on some pickled veggies to ripen so I can gobble them up yum yum. i wanted to share a new food i had for the first time on saturday night, never even heard of it before, and for those of you that dig pickled foods/ olives and the like: caper berries. how have i not known you before you delicious, strangely textured delight. So Good!

Today is number 23....holy cow! Yesterday was a bit rough for me. I was having some pretty nasty cravings but I held firm and stayed 100% compliant. After texting with Jeannie we decided I more than likely did not have enough fat yesterday, thus creating some pretty nasty cravings. Going to pay closer attention to hose fats today.

The weather is finally dry so I'm heading out for a walk to get a little exercise and some much needed sunshine on my face ahhhhhh.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Yay for the Hawks! 

Swithy, your photos are amazing. What a glowy complexion you have.

Today, I am craving plain Greek yogurt so bad! I used to eat it everyday. I haven't really craved anything else this strongly. I've noticed that I seem to be gaining weight too. Things that were getting loose are getting tight again. I'm also having some wicked insomnia. Wide awake all night. I've been completely compliant, and am not snacking. So, what gives?

I have noticed that my veggie consumption has gone way down. I'm having more potatoes, and more fats, and a lot more salt, I think. In fact, I think I'm having a love affair with coconut oil. So, I'm reconfiguring my meals to include a lot more vegetables, less fats, and I'm trying to reign in the salt.

I am really resisting the urge to track my calories or weigh myself, but I can't afford to gain weight, I need to lose at least 20 pounds to get in a healthy range.

Also… I think I'm finally getting it…. I need to exercise. Every day. So, lesson learned. I've started making these changes today.

So that's my rant for today. Changes made.

Breakfast - 3 egg frittata with zucchini, tomatoes, onions and olives, fresh sage and cilantro from the garden.

Lunch - 4 cups of romaine lettuce, tomato, zucchini and chopped chicken breast. Apple with 2 tbls. almond butter.

Dinner - Grilled boneless chicken thighs, lime and cilantro cauliflower rice, romaine lettuce salad with tomatoes. 

Exercise - Walking 2 miles on the track at the Y.

Errrgghh! Frustrated.

Today is number 23....holy cow! Yesterday was a bit rough for me. I was having some pretty nasty cravings but I held firm and stayed 100% compliant. After texting with Jeannie we decided I more than likely did not have enough fat yesterday, thus creating some pretty nasty cravings. Going to pay closer attention to hose fats today.

The weather is finally dry so I'm heading out for a walk to get a little exercise and some much needed sunshine on my face ahhhhhh.

Hope everyone has a great day!

You got this lady!!! Only 7 more days!!!

I know we have some Chicago Blackhawk fans on here - so congrats! I'm from Cleveland and a HUGE Cavs fan so we're really hoping for a win tonight in Cleveland!!! Go Cavs!!!!

During the actual Whole30, I never got sick of eggs (thankfully)! But today I was ready to barf (well, not really) as I was eating my eggs. I know the high & mighty timeline mentions something about ready to scream if you see another egg - well I'm feeling like that now. I know "they" suggest mixing up Meal 1 and eating soup or other meat & veggies, but all I wanted was a frickin' doughnut! However, I realized that the doughnut would soooo not be worth it. 

Anyone else feeling sick of eggs? I need suggestions!

Sounds like everyone else is doing very well but feeling the struggles of off-roading. It's definitely way easier when you have the rules of W30 to fall back on.

I totally understand and I think I have finally hit that point with eggs, too! And I'm even one of those people that if I find something I like, I can eat it over and over. I think I have the same bowl of steel cut oats with apple for a little over a year prior to W30.  :rolleyes:

So I think tomorrow is going to be a sweet potato hash morning! It's one of my favorites and so simple.

I cube up one sweet potato and slice some peppers and onions. Probably about 1/4-1/2 cup of each. 

Then I heat up a larger skillet and add some coconut oil. I add the sweet potato to this and season with salt, pepper, a little garlic powder and cinnamon. 

Cover this and let it cook for about 5 minutes.

To the same pan add the pepper and onion and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. 

Cover again and let this all cook for about 5 minutes or until everything is soft. 

Then I add a sliced chicken sausage (Normally, when I'm not sick of eggs, I would add a fried egg to this but, if omitting the egg I would prob. use 2 sausages). 

Cook this uncovered until sausage has browned.

I top it with half an avocado and Franks.

So I think tomorrow is going to be a sweet potato hash morning! It's one of my favorites and so simple.

I cube up one sweet potato and slice some peppers and onions. Probably about 1/4-1/2 cup of each. 

Then I heat up a larger skillet and add some coconut oil. I add the sweet potato to this and season with salt, pepper, a little garlic powder and cinnamon. 

Cover this and let it cook for about 5 minutes.

To the same pan add the pepper and onion and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. 

Cover again and let this all cook for about 5 minutes or until everything is soft. 

Then I add a sliced chicken sausage (Normally, when I'm not sick of eggs, I would add a fried egg to this but, if omitting the egg I would prob. use 2 sausages). 

Cook this uncovered until sausage has browned.

I top it with half an avocado and Franks.

YUMMY. Thanks for sharing!

Also, wanted to let you guys know that I tried something new last night -- we went out to dinner for a friends birthday and had BONE MARROW. I've heard that this is one of the best things you can eat for your body. Although it has a high fat percentage, they say it helps with building immunity, repairing wounds, helps digestion and the list goes on...It wasn't the "best" tasting thing I've ever had, but it was uncanny to me that I was willing to try something new and branch out. It was also extremely odd for me, because I'm a cancer survivor and actually had a BONE marrow transplant when I was 16....so surreal. CRAZY.

Here's to W30#2 D1!!

That IS surreal!

I was at a restaurant recently and ordered the steak, and it was topped with "bone marrow butter." I asked that they not include it because I was avoiding dairy, but the server assured me it was dairy free. Just a lump of fat made from the marrow. It was deliiiiiiicious. 

Good luck on W30#2! That's like my decision about not reintro-ing grain because I don't want to have the option to eat that stuff. I'm doing Whole30x99%. No sugar, legumes, grain and most dairy. But I still plan to drink wine once a week and the occasional ice cream....with, uh, lactaid pills. 

Today's a better day. I went to the gym yesterday, and walked two miles, did 30 minutes on the bike and swam two laps on the way to the hot tub. I'm a terrible swimmer. 2 laps took forever with my pitiful doggie paddle.

I had a great night's sleep, which never happens, so I guess I need to be active during the day to sleep good at night.

So back to the gym today.

Also increasing my vegetables and water helped a lot.

Jeanie - what a great NSV! Way to go!

Swithy, I like your plan. I don't want or even need to add grains back in. Or sugar. I don't even miss them. I will probably add back yogurt, but that would be the only dairy, and an occasional glass of wine... when the time comes for me to off road it. :)

The co-op finally has organic snap peas, my favorite! All year it's been non-organic from guatemala, which is no bueno since they're on the dirty dozen list. Hooray for fresh food in season. 

Reintro test #1RICE: ate with lunch and dinner. nothing blatantly aggravating, slight bloat, slight gas. my complexion which is generally average has been unusually soft on W30, and it feels a little less so, but that could be in my head. In the past, when ordering chinese food, sometimes i ask for no rice, because i find it to be a no limits food (especially combined with sweet sauces). so i'm not planning to reintro rice into my diet in general, but good to know it's a safe food, and soy test forthcoming for the aforementioned sushi. 

Picked up some compliant hot italian sausage to make spaghetti squash in tomato, sausage, zucchini sauce. And sleep... my illusive mistress. I still get up several times in the night and am groggy and sleepy upon waking. I'm fortunate to make my own hours this month, so i'm allowing myself to sleep a bit later to get my full 8 hours rest in order to see how this impacts midday slump, which still hits pretty hard most days. Ultimately, i want to sleep through the night and shift my whole sleep schedule two hours earlier, but one thing at a time :)

Jeanie -- isn't it crazy when that sometime future "one day" is today! congrats! and Debz, swam two laps on the way to the hot tub??? haha love it. now there's an incentive to swim :) have a wonderful day everyone!

Jeanie - AWESOME news!!!

Debz - Holy cow! You are a workout machine!

Yesterday was super busy for me! Took the dog for a walk in the morning, worked all day, then we met with a mortgage broker (because we're trying to sell our house), went for a long run after dinner, and then blogged into the wee hours of the night. I felt like I had tons of energy and on my run, I didn't feel winded at all. Not sure if it's because of the Whole30 or losing some weight, but I enjoyed it. Then I should've went to bed but I couldn't calm done and just stayed up too late. This morning I couldn't get out of bed...AND my legs felt like jelly. I guess maybe I pushed myself toooo much yesterday!

We made the zoodles last night again and I'm trying to incorporate more leafy greens into my diet but pureeing them in my tomato sauces, etc. Seems to be working well because I too started to skimp more on those types of veggies and go for the sweet potatoes all the time.

Doing the Whole30#2 seems a lot easier...easier to make decisions, turn down food, make good food and good decisions. I'm not as scared and I know I did it before, so I can do it again!

I feel like I'm still recovering from the Frappuccino of My Nightmares, but I did put a couple small bites of cheese in my eggs this morning. I think I might have been a little too ambitious with liquid dairy the other day, but I usually am ok with more solid dairy foods like cheese and butter. So I tried it, and so far I'm feeling just fine. Crazy how that is...  Plus, they were the best-tasting eggs I've had in over a month, so... Cheeeeeese.  :rolleyes:

Still no plans to re-intro grain. There were donuts at work today, and I still got to pull the "I can't eat that because of the W30" card. It gives me strength in the face of baked goods. 

Thoughts on soy lecithin? I see it in a lot of chocolate bars -- even the good stuff, and I am wondering if that's some needless processed soy thing that's making us all sick, or if it's legit necessary in these fancy candies? My future with Lindt truffles hangs in the balance, as I'm swearing off all unnecessary additives in the form of corn or soy, because why are they in our food?  

SWITHY: Yes, Why Are They In Our Food??? so much soy! i'm not surprised about sugar (well, actually, I am). I'm not surprised about corn (well, yeah, again, I am re: it's frequency), but what really has been the biggest shocker this W30 is SOY EVERYWHERE WHY? hahahaha lindt hangs in the balance :) if you figure this one out, let us know!

HUGE NSV: last night i had enough energy to play through tennis! I've been playing every week since on the whole30, and 30 minutes in, i'm like zombie zone, flailing my arms around just trying to get the ball back and self-talking up my energy. but yesterday i was in it and energetic the whole time! i think it's the sleep! getting those 8 hours means everything. i always guessed i lived my life in chronic sleep deprivation (been going to bed after 1 AM since I was 11), but could never pinpoint how it affected me. now that i don't have sugar or other snacks to prop me up during the day, i've been groggy and foggy this whole time. but allowing myself to sleep later to ensure i get those 8 hours, i think that's it! I also didn't have a midday slump. it's bananas! i've been trying to work on sleep issues for almost ten years, and now i'm finally able to make the change. so grateful to the W30 for this super focused self-experimentation. lovin it!

Also, anyone notice their sense of smell is sharper too? The trees after the thunderstorms smell amazing. have a good day all!

Well, today's a tougher day over here...just kind of funky. I had to bring our little dog into the vet to have surgery this morning...she was so nervous and shaky...I felt so bad leaving her there. But, it was just some routine dental work so all should be ok...but, still makes me nervous when they have to go under anesthesia. BUT, that put me getting in later at work and I've been so busy here I haven't had a chance to eat...a. single. thing. ARG. I can hear my stomach growling but I can't step away from my desk! Also, a friend from work is leaving us today for a new job...been here 10 years and now he's just going to leave. Just kind of sad! So, today is funky.

I guess I should go eat something.

Day 25 for me. I continue to move along in the program with little problems. I've been thinking about reintroduction lately and have decided to continue as I am until Sept 1st. This past fall I had to have some major abdominal surgery (had to have 1/3 of my large and 1/4 of my small intestines removed). I was happily going through life I had no symptoms or pain was simply having my routine preventative colonoscopy when they discovered a 4" mass. My life turned upside down and I lost complete control of my life....it was one dr. Appt after another and no one could figure out what caused all my problems. I know the surgery saved my life but I did not expect to feel as badly as I did nor expect the recovery to last upwards of 6 months. In comes my good friend Jeannie who invited me along on the Whole30 journey. I wasn't sure I could make it through the program but with all of your encouragement and my many NS victories along the way I feel like I'm back in control of my body and not the doctors. For this I'm forever grateful. Love the energy and love seeing my waist shrink!

Thanks for all of your support. I love being back in control of my life!

Just awesome, Jmn!!

Thank YOU for sharing your journey with us. 

Speaking of reintroduction... I brought back in gluten containing grains yesterday and they will remain non-existent in my daily diet for the foreseeable future.  :blink:

I was uncomfortable, physically, the entire day. I ate a piece of Ezekiel toast w/ breakfast, lunch and dinner just to be sure. I experienced a headache, lethargy and some disruption in my gut. My friend suggested I pick a couple of the grains in the toast and test them out separately but I just don't want to. I'm perfectly happy without the grains and, down the line, if something seems worth it to me I will eat it and just be prepared to suffer the consequences.

Hope everyone else is doing good!!

Helllllp. I saw someone post a FB pic of some crazy trifle dessert involving peanut butter cups, brownies and pastry cream and that's all I can think about now. 

I feel like the only thing stopping me from going down a dessert wormhole is that I haven't brought back grain yet, so I don't want to get into that stuff. But I want candy, esp peanut butter cups, like mad right now. 

I even checked the work candy bowl, which is usually stocked full, but it was empty except for a couple Lifesavers. <--- Literally! Phew. 

How do I deal with mad cravings like this when I'm only partially W30? How do I say no to bad stuff without the extreme structure of the program???

• Moderators

How do I deal with mad cravings like this when I'm only partially W30? How do I say no to bad stuff without the extreme structure of the program???

What helps me, whether I'm doing a W30 or not, is to stick with the meal template most of the time, and make sure I eat plenty of protein, fat, and vegetables. It really does seem to help keep me from craving stuff. 

You get to decide whether any craving is worth giving in to. Maybe peanut butter cups are, at least sometimes, or maybe they're not. Have you seen the Guide to Nutritional Off Roading? Maybe it will help you figure out how to determine what things are worth giving in to.

Helllllp. I saw someone post a FB pic of some crazy trifle dessert involving peanut butter cups, brownies and pastry cream and that's all I can think about now.

I feel like the only thing stopping me from going down a dessert wormhole is that I haven't brought back grain yet, so I don't want to get into that stuff. But I want candy, esp peanut butter cups, like mad right now.

I even checked the work candy bowl, which is usually stocked full, but it was empty except for a couple Lifesavers. <--- Literally! Phew.

First... well done not going down the worm hole. How about almond butter on an apple? I've used that a couple of times as the ending to a meal, and it does help.

Ok, so I survived. No peanut butter cups. Thanks for the tips, everyone. 

So, I think I was just hungry. My lunch was a little smaller than usual, and I realized that I COULD eat steamed fish and broccoli, even though I would much rather have some candy, but that's all it was. 

I do wonder why my craving for candy in particular was so strong. Could the sugar dragon really be back already? I've barely brought any back into my diet, other than a very occasional square of dark chocolate. 

So in my candy-craving mania, I ordered online a bunch of fancy artisanal chocolate with no soy lecithin or other additives. Whoops. 

Archived