Starting May 11th

Debzella

Yay, Duckmama! I know how important it is to discover food sensitivities and intolerances, so glad you found some answers.

I am having a different experience. I have been banging along on this journey, maintaining compliance, and did find some energy, and better moods, but little else. I think cutting wine and obligatory cheese and crackers has done the most good for me, and has cut the bloating and creeping weight gain I was suffering from. 

But… everything else has stayed the same. My autoimmune issues have stayed the same, my joints are still stiff and achey, and none of that has really changed all this time.

So, this weekend, I sort of fell off the wagon. That may be an understatement. I literally did a swan dive into a day long festive buffet and ate every available food group including bagels, cream cheese, goat cheese, chutney, bacon, (lots and lots of bacon) ice cream cake and gourmet s'mores over a campfire. I ate it all. And felt pretty good, too. No intestinal upsets, or any change in condition. So, I know these facts…. I don't have an intolerance to gluten, or dairy, or sugar. I didn't sleep last night, but that is probably because of all the gallons of coffee I drank, right up until bedtime. 

This morning, everything is pretty status quo. I keep waiting for my intestines to explode or something, but it's been an ordinary day so far.

So, I am seriously considering this major off road experience. I'd say it wasn't so much off-roading as crashing through a barrier and careening down a mountain side. 

I think for me the issue is that when I'm not on Whole30, I just plain eat too much, and I was gaining weight like it was my job, before I started this program.

I am back on whole30 this morning. And I'm committing to starting over. My problems with food aren't intolerances or sensitivities. My problem is rampant, mutant, out of control eating. Whole30 helps me keep that in check. 

So…. Hello Day One.

Breakfast - 3 soft-boiled eggs, leftover roasted potatoes (a compliant food from yesterday's free-for-all), and two olives.

Lunch - BAS with lettuce from my garden. Leftover roasted compliant chicken.

Dinner - Kale, cauliflower, and chicken, either more leftover, or grilled chicken thighs.

And that is it, even though my house is filled with leftovers from the brunch, I am not even tempted today.

How is everyone else doing? 

Debz - I hear you - I also do not seem to have any intolerances (have not yet reinro'd gluten though) I just kinda 'pig out' when not Whole30'ing!

Great to see nearly everyone still on here - I suppose you all thought I'd got lost, fallen off the perch or something as I had not posted for a while. I knew there would be pages and pages of posts - I have read the reintro posts with great interest but am still yet to read them all.

So far I have had dairy - no probs, alcohol on a few occasions now but not nightly as before  ^_^ and some chocolate :wub: again occasionally not every night. Trying to be mainly compliant - I do love dates and the date/nut balls I have made!

I gave in to the scale again once a week for two weeks - I lost another 2kgs in the week after finishing (thats about 4-5 lbs I think) then another week on I had stayed the same .... but feel I can now happily give it away as even though the numbers did not change this week my body did! I have an interview on Monday and bought pants today 2 pairs - size 16 - down from 18/20 woooo hoooo.

Originally I was going to do another whole30 straight after the last one but am thinking of joining the July 1 that was advertised in the newsletter

Question here for the moderators is there a link to the actual sign up - I can't find it nor can I find the main July 1 forum - I am a little technologically challenged when it comes to online forums and chats so must apologise for my thickness!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Debz - I hear you - I also do not seem to have any intolerances (have not yet reinro'd gluten though) I just kinda 'pig out' when not Whole30'ing!

Great to see nearly everyone still on here - I suppose you all thought I'd got lost, fallen off the perch or something as I had not posted for a while. I knew there would be pages and pages of posts - I have read the reintro posts with great interest but am still yet to read them all.

So far I have had dairy - no probs, alcohol on a few occasions now but not nightly as before ^_^ and some chocolate :wub: again occasionally not every night. Trying to be mainly compliant - I do love dates and the date/nut balls I have made!

I gave in to the scale again once a week for two weeks - I lost another 2kgs in the week after finishing (thats about 4-5 lbs I think) then another week on I had stayed the same .... but feel I can now happily give it away as even though the numbers did not change this week my body did! I have an interview on Monday and bought pants today 2 pairs - size 16 - down from 18/20 woooo hoooo.

Originally I was going to do another whole30 straight after the last one but am thinking of joining the July 1 that was advertised in the newsletter

Question here for the moderators is there a link to the actual sign up - I can't find it nor can I find the main July 1 forum - I am a little technologically challenged when it comes to online forums and chats so must apologise for my thickness!

Congrats on going down a size!

There's no signup for the July 1 whole30, just start posting in any of the active July 1 threads you want to -- there are already a few and I'm guessing there will be more started closer to the day.

Hi Bricky! Congratulations on the weight loss, and good luck on your interviews! 

I spoke too soon about not having intolerances. This morning was an eye-opener to say the least. I woke up in the middle of the night with a crushing headache, and this morning, I feel like I was hit by a truck. My joints are so inflamed that I can hardly walk and even holding a pencil is painful. Hello, autoimmune. Where have you been?

The only things I've had that were not compliant, since that horrible binge weekend (where I ate everything that wasn't nailed down and had virtually no instantaneous repercussions from)…  was pizza for dinner two nights ago, plain yogurt for breakfast 2 mornings in a row, 2 glasses of wine, and 4 squares of milk chocolate last night. All my other meals were compliant since the binge. 

So, basically, I've screwed up royally and induced a firestorm of symptoms and have no idea which component did it to me. Or maybe all of it?

I'm not sure I ever shared my autoimmune issues…. but in the interest of science and helping others, I will. I was diagnosed with dermatomyositis with lupus overlap fifteen years ago. I also have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue, for added fun. Autoimmune diseases travel in packs. I always have tried to manage my conditions nutritionally, with raw diets, vegan, pescatarian, etc, etc, etc, and I've maintained an okay level of functioning throughout the years, and have been off all meds for about 10 years. But I've never tried a total elimination diet like Whole30, and on Whole30 I felt the best I've felt in a long time. 

The writing's on the wall this morning. I have to come back to Whole30, do it correctly and then do the off-roading correctly to really see what causes me to flare, because this morning I have no idea. It could have been anything. Or maybe everything?

It's unfortunate that I succumbed to all those temptations because I am paying for it today. Hindsight is 20/20 they say. 

Well, that is my "crash and burn" story. I'll be hanging around these boards for a good long while I think. Nothing like feeling horrible to give one the motivation to stick to the plan.

I'm so happy I'm here this morning. Onward.  :)

Debz (and everyone else :)) - I found the "Starting July 1st" group -- if you go through my Posts, you'll find it! Looks like MeGA is in there and Staci_ny! Join in if you want to do another round! Per LadyShanny's advice, just might need some more support and reflecting on WHY.

Happy Friday to ALL!

nice Debz! While I try to ignore scale, it's definitely a solid motivator. I love how my clothes fit better. sorry to hear your inflammation is back -- talk about motivators, that's about the best one: to stay pain-free. 

Bricky, like you, I haven't found too many effects of non-compliant foods, except that it just slowly goes back to snack behavior and bingeing. i went off the rails a bit this wknd on vacay -- visiting family in Florida. ate cereal and milk, cookies, peanut butter and chocolate. twice. both in one sitting. caused a little gas, but that's all. 

Other than late night bingeing of non-compliant food, I stayed W30 compliant at meal times. The biggest issue was actually the meal times itself. Turns out my extended family doesn't generally sit down for meals, unless it's a night out or family dinner. The rest, they just eat on the go. Since I was on their schedule, it was super difficult. I ate some hard boiled eggs for breakfast, and then there would be no lunch, so I'd just find an apple, and nuts and eat again at dinner, which was always healthy and good. I know a lot of the food I ate had added sugar even if it didn't say it outright in the label (rotisserie chicken, turkey chili, etc) because I could taste it. That's new - recognizing my desire for certain things because of the hidden sweetness. Also, went for my first run in over a year, that felt great. Didn't push it, just did a nice short 2 miles/ 20 minutes. 

But the late night bingeing - i don't know if that came from genuine hunger, or emotional cravings, or PMS. I feel PMS symptoms, I just hope I get my period on time this cycle, as the last one was pretty off kilter. 

So my question to the group and to moderators: how do you handle being on someone else's schedule, in a place that's not near your home where you can't prep and sit for three solid meals? I'm going away again to Maine for a long July 4 weekend, and have a feeling this might come up again. I'm looking to stay W30 compliant for the most part, and eat the three square meals. 

Hi everyone!!

Got back from my vacation on Saturday and haven't weighed in yet, and actually not sure I care to. Was very active in Wyoming, hiking up and down mountains every day, and walking everywhere. Didn't do too bad on food and wasn't an angel either, but I'm ready to start in again on July 1 as I need to loose more weight and I also have autoimmune issues (Graves' disease) that make me feel so much better when eating either Paleo or Whole 30.

I too am going to a family lake house for the weekend where wine and crappy food will be in abundance. Taking one meal at a time and will do my best. If I can't be 100% compliant then I just start over, or in my case continue on and on and on!

Glad to be back, missed you guys!

I'll join the July 1st thread with you!

So my question to the group and to moderators: how do you handle being on someone else's schedule, in a place that's not near your home where you can't prep and sit for three solid meals? I'm going away again to Maine for a long July 4 weekend, and have a feeling this might come up again. I'm looking to stay W30 compliant for the most part, and eat the three square meals. 

On my recent road trip with a friend, we were on totally different eating schedules and allowances. She'd just stop at drive-thru McDonalds, I'd open a can of tuna in a rest stop parking lot and eat it from the can. The thing I learned about travel is that I just had to take care of myself and not worry about what other people were doing. So my suggestion would be to either bring some food with you or go shopping when you get up there, and stock your own cooler with compliant food. It doesn't have to be complicated or require much prep. Hard-boiled eggs are pretty much a godsend, if you will have access to a stove and refrigeration. But canned tuna worked quite well for me and didn't need refrigeration. Packets of prosciutto and smoked salmon were handy, too, and also luxurious. Bags of carrots and green beans held up well. If all else fails -- and say you are out and about and can't lug around canned protein -- Whole Foods carries an assortment of meat bars (in the same section as the Lara Bars -- I think they're called Epic). Sounds nasty, but they're ok in a pinch.

Join the July 1 W30, there's over 100 people! What!!!!

Waaaaay to many people on the July 30 log for me. I'm going to create a menu/daily log over on the "menu log board" titled JMN1962 7/1. Please feel free to join me....

Have a great day!

I feel the same. Too many! Lol. Which is a good thing for health because it means more and more people are embracing whole 30. JMN1962, I may join you in the menu board because it really helps to post my meals. Keeps me accountable.

Hi Jeanie! Your trip sounds like it was amazing!

Mcki, I'll still post over on the July thread, the more I post, the more it keeps me on track. :)

Happy first day! Again. Lol.

Well, we had some rough/stressful medical news over the last two days and I'm sorry to say but I haven't been able to start or keep up with my second Whole30 as planned. Life is just out of sorts and things are going crazy. I'm planning to take the weekend to make some big decisions and get back on board Monday if all else goes OK. I know it's another excuse but I need to focus on these details currently while still trying to be compliant....it's tough. Pooo

aw mcki, sorry to hear. don't beat yourself up over it. difficult times aren't excuses, we only have so much energy to go around, especially when it comes to medical issues. don't forgot all your amazing NSVs from the first go round. it's not gone! health is cumulative. we do the best we can, and take each day as it comes. when the time is right to do another, you totally will. whether it's monday or sometime down the road. sending love to u xo

The thing I learned about travel is that I just had to take care of myself and not worry about what other people were doing. So my suggestion would be to either bring some food with you or go shopping when you get up there, and stock your own cooler with compliant food. It doesn't have to be complicated 

So True! Alongside the sugar dragon, the "people pleaser" dragon rears its head. as if anyone cares whether i eat on their schedule or not. Take care of myself and the rest will work itself out. I think i was stressing bc these are food people - including a chef and a restaurant owner. And I don't want to be "that guy" who brings my own food, and doesn't partake, etc.

but you hit the nail on the head: We'll be in Maine! Amazing seafood all over! Wonderful dinners every night! And the rest of the time it's up to me to take care of my needs. I'll buy a big bag of groceries for the house, with all the compliant food I need and cook breakfasts and lunches for all, so they can be compliant along with me if they like, or not ;) Thanks Swithy for talking me down. Seems like sometimes I make things harder than they need to be. <3 

Well, we had some rough/stressful medical news over the last two days and I'm sorry to say but I haven't been able to start or keep up with my second Whole30 as planned. Life is just out of sorts and things are going crazy. I'm planning to take the weekend to make some big decisions and get back on board Monday if all else goes OK. I know it's another excuse but I need to focus on these details currently while still trying to be compliant....it's tough. Pooo

Mcki, it's always better to take care of yourself, than to try to pile on extra stress. Take the time you need to do what you need to do. We'll be thinking of you. Let us know how things are going.

Thinking of you and hoping your weekend brings you some answers.

Hi Bricky! Congratulations on the weight loss, and good luck on your interviews! 

I spoke too soon about not having intolerances. This morning was an eye-opener to say the least. I woke up in the middle of the night with a crushing headache, and this morning, I feel like I was hit by a truck. My joints are so inflamed that I can hardly walk and even holding a pencil is painful. Hello, autoimmune. Where have you been?

The only things I've had that were not compliant, since that horrible binge weekend (where I ate everything that wasn't nailed down and had virtually no instantaneous repercussions from)…  was pizza for dinner two nights ago, plain yogurt for breakfast 2 mornings in a row, 2 glasses of wine, and 4 squares of milk chocolate last night. All my other meals were compliant since the binge. 

So, basically, I've screwed up royally and induced a firestorm of symptoms and have no idea which component did it to me. Or maybe all of it?

I'm not sure I ever shared my autoimmune issues…. but in the interest of science and helping others, I will. I was diagnosed with dermatomyositis with lupus overlap fifteen years ago. I also have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue, for added fun. Autoimmune diseases travel in packs. I always have tried to manage my conditions nutritionally, with raw diets, vegan, pescatarian, etc, etc, etc, and I've maintained an okay level of functioning throughout the years, and have been off all meds for about 10 years. But I've never tried a total elimination diet like Whole30, and on Whole30 I felt the best I've felt in a long time. 

The writing's on the wall this morning. I have to come back to Whole30, do it correctly and then do the off-roading correctly to really see what causes me to flare, because this morning I have no idea. It could have been anything. Or maybe everything?

It's unfortunate that I succumbed to all those temptations because I am paying for it today. Hindsight is 20/20 they say. 

Well, that is my "crash and burn" story. I'll be hanging around these boards for a good long while I think. Nothing like feeling horrible to give one the motivation to stick to the plan.

I'm so happy I'm here this morning. Onward.  :)

Debz - I was sad to read this post from you how unfortunate but hang in there my D-I-L tells me the good effects come quicker the second time around :)

I need the answer to this as well - I will be visiting my mum and dad in Canberra in a week or two and have not quite worked out how to handle it.

I dabbled with the thought of doing the July 1 W30 but was too overwhelmed by the forum being so massive. Plus I know I'm not ready yet. 

I'm having an interesting time -- living 85% W30 is great, but I don't lose any weight. That little bit of stuff I allow makes all the difference, it seems. I'm maintaining, though, which is good. I go back and forth between feeling really great about that, and feeling guilty and worried that I'm ruining all my progress by allowing things that aren't full W30.

I am about halfway through my weight-loss journey right now (40 lbs down since October, 40 to go). So on one hand I feel like I should be doing everything in my power to get there, but on the other hand, I know from past experience how unsustainable that is. So I'm trying to just maintain for a bit before I go full-force again. 

Anyway, I chose a start date for my next W30 - July 20. So if anyone's not on the big July 1 and wants to do one with me in a few weeks, that'd be great! 

Mcki - sorry to hear about that....most important thing is to take care of yourself now in other ways, and Whole 30 will be waiting for you when you are ready. 

Sophia - you got this! OMG Maine lobster, have one for me!

Waaaaay to many people on the July 30 log for me. I'm going to create a menu/daily log over on the "menu log board" titled JMN1962 7/1. Please feel free to join me....

Have a great day!

Yessssss! I looked yesterday and it was up to page 23 or more in the first week - so I am just staying here  :) I have been a bit intermittent over the last two weeks as I have been out and about with D and GD in school holidays, had my interview and now have one of the dreaded seasonal illnesses so forgive me if I dont get around to catching up for a few days. I have been compliant although am noticing an increase in dates!!!!! (I love them). I have re discovered scotch eggs - why why why did I forget about these? I often do the slow roasted pork loin in tomato and herb sauce - this is my variation on the balsamic version (was that St Sophia? can't remember) my H doesn't really like balsamic but an added tin of tomatoes does the trick. I am off to veg on the lounge with a warm cuppa, my slippers, dressing gown and knitting - hoping to feel better tomorrow and will try to catch up on posts them when my eyes feel normal again  :rolleyes:

Sorry you are having a stressful time - take care. Sophia hit the nail on the head health certainly is cumulative. Listen to your body you will instinctively know what is good for you and when is the best time ... thinking of you

Bricky, I'm already feeling better. I started the second whole30 yesterday, and things are calming down. How are you? Are you joining us on the July 1st challenge?

Debz I was going to do the july challenge and ended up starting again 1 day earlier ... so yes I am there but I think the forum is too big for me especially as I seem to be running a few days behind over the school holidays and while I am unwell so I'll just keep popping in here I think

Archived