Starting May 11th

Debzella

I dabbled with the thought of doing the July 1 W30 but was too overwhelmed by the forum being so massive. Plus I know I'm not ready yet. 

I'm having an interesting time -- living 85% W30 is great, but I don't lose any weight. That little bit of stuff I allow makes all the difference, it seems. I'm maintaining, though, which is good. I go back and forth between feeling really great about that, and feeling guilty and worried that I'm ruining all my progress by allowing things that aren't full W30.

I am about halfway through my weight-loss journey right now (40 lbs down since October, 40 to go). So on one hand I feel like I should be doing everything in my power to get there, but on the other hand, I know from past experience how unsustainable that is. So I'm trying to just maintain for a bit before I go full-force again. 

Anyway, I chose a start date for my next W30 - July 20. So if anyone's not on the big July 1 and wants to do one with me in a few weeks, that'd be great! 

Mcki - sorry to hear about that....most important thing is to take care of yourself now in other ways, and Whole 30 will be waiting for you when you are ready. 

Sophia - you got this! OMG Maine lobster, have one for me!

Swithy I might join you on 20 July - I have been W30 compliant most of the time and allowing a treat or 2 one day a week - yesterday it was 2 x G&Ts before dinner, icecream after and chocolate with decaf to finish off - I must say comfort foods really hit home when you are unwell!! :) I want to do another but first need to get rid of this cold and I really need to test out how gluten affects me - we are off to Europe in September so I want to be prepared!  Are you starting a new forum or starting another W30 on this forum? 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone! We took the weekend to re-group and I'm feeling a little better but still not all here...however, I'm realizing that regardless of what's going on in my life, I still need to make good decisions and keep myself as a priority. I'm starting again today and so far, so good...however, my head is still not "in it" like it was initially but my body needs this more than ever. I did find a smaller, July 6th start date thread (click here) if anyone wants to check it out. I am also posting my food log (see link below) if you want to cheer me on. Got to lose another 10lbs if I want this baby! I'm going to need some support this time...more than before, to keep me going...thanks for your help!

Hello!!

I was overwhelmed on the July 1 thread, so stopped posting altogether and then slipped off the W30 road over the holiday weekend while visiting at a family members lake house. Why is it so difficult to stay committed to another W30?? Soooo, starting AGAIN today. I'm going to just stay on this thread, it's just like home ;-)

MCKI - thinking of you and sending positive thoughts your way...

Anyway, I chose a start date for my next W30 - July 20. So if anyone's not on the big July 1 and wants to do one with me in a few weeks, that'd be great! 

YASSSSSS! July 20 would be awesome! If you're still thinking of doing that, I'm totally in. Let's go [we need a team name]! 

Maine was amazing! Clean air, hiking, lake swimming, and deep deep leisure. On the other hand, lots of parties and socializing and food. Swithy, your tips were spot on and so helpful! we stopped at grocery stores instead of rest stops and I got tomato, avocado, cukes, and ate that along with tuna/egg salad I'd already prepared. Brought nuts, baby carrots, and fruit. it was less veggies than usual, but it was alright.

I brought enough eggs and sweet potatoes so I knew I'd have at least breakfasts taken care of. Turns out fried eggs and sweet potato hash are a huge hit, and I made it for everyone all wknd. There were so many BBQ leftovers I was able to stay generally compliant at meal times

I wasn't strict tho. I drank -- nice to be buzzed from 1 drink. I ate butter, and regular mayo - which is too sweet and I missed homemade mayo! and made two special allowances for ice cream. The thing that saved me all weekend, was looking forward to and eating big, template meals. I didn't snack / graze like I usually wld despite pies, chips, and cookies lying out everywhere. And when I did indulge, it was pleasant. eating good ice cream didn't give me the crack high, I guess that's a good thing. I do kinda miss when my whole body is pulsing from the sugar high. the only thing that i totally could not control myself with were these rosemary, salted, sugary nuts. I think it was the added sweetness. 

I am also posting my food log (see link below) if you want to cheer me on. Got to lose another 10lbs if I want this baby! I'm going to need some support this time...more than before, to keep me going...thanks for your help!

I'll follow your food log and baby journey!!! Aw, I wanna see our little group's first W30 baby ;) I'm proud of you for keeping on this journey despite the hard times. You can, and will do it! And you've got all of us here to cheer you along!

jeanie sorry to hear you [is it fell off the wagon? i can never remember]. Being at someone else's mercy is super rough. I found that when I stayed with just one couple, it was really hard. But in a house of many couples, I was lost in the shuffle and just looked after my own meals. it made things a lot easier.

Team July 20: Bricky, Sophia and me so far. I say we keep posting here cause we got our little family, but maybe also start a new post for others to join? 

I'm partially mentally prepping and partially trying to eat all the things I know I won't be able to in a couple weeks....eek. Guess it's adding up... I've put on 2 lbs now since the end of our W30. And I don't even know from what! I don't even eat carbs. Argh. 

Team July 20: Bricky, Sophia and me so far. I say we keep posting here cause we got our little family, but maybe also start a new post for others to join? 

I'm partially mentally prepping and partially trying to eat all the things I know I won't be able to in a couple weeks....eek. Guess it's adding up... I've put on 2 lbs now since the end of our W30. And I don't even know from what! I don't even eat carbs. Argh. 

I wish I could join you all! I feel like I need to do another W30 pretty soon. I'm going to visit family in RI for about a week at the end of the month and then I am moving when I come back into town. I'm also helping my Dad move down to where I am in Charleston. I think I'm going to start as soon as all those things are complete. I've pretty much been eating W30 with the exception of a few occasions. I had some gelato on Father's Day and made Paleo banana bread as well as some baked paleo pancakes. OH, and my coworker made her homemade banana pudding the other day and it is one of my favorite things so I had a serving but then didn't touch it the rest of the week. 

I totally understand how you're feeling, swithy. My friend and I are doing a little mini-challenge starting Monday and going until I leave for RI where we eat W30 but eliminate nuts, fruit and potatoes. I feel like I want to indulge in some really decadent baked good...I've been really wanting cake and cookies  :( so I guess my sugar dragon has risen from the dead and is making it's way back. Which really makes me sad because it was so nice to not even want those things. I'm so much better when living by the black and white rules and I wish I were at a place where I feel I can off road without the thought of anything sweet. Hence my need for another W30...looking for that mental confidence again!

Hello to my wonderful forum friends...I miss you guys. Got some more bad news last night that sent my family into a downward spiral of drinking wine...grandpa has cancer. I know that's not an excuse to YET AGAIN FAIL AT MY SECOND Whole30, but it sucks and we needed to drink. Trying to debate whether or not to start again...I'd love to join you guys on the 20th, but I have to host a bachelorette party on the 25th and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get out of drinking there...so deflating...

• Administrators

My friend and I are doing a little mini-challenge starting Monday and going until I leave for RI where we eat W30 but eliminate nuts, fruit and potatoes. I feel like I want to indulge in some really decadent baked good...I've been really wanting cake and cookies  :( so I guess my sugar dragon has risen from the dead and is making it's way back. 

Hmmm....this sugar dragon resurrection could be the result of going too low carb.  You might consider, if you are firm on your "no potato" rule, to add carrots, beets, parsnips, squash etc to at least one meal a day. The "sugar cravings" are often just your body wanting carbohydrates.  

• Administrators

we needed to drink.

I won't be able to get out of drinking there...so deflating...

Own your decision, mcki.  If you want to drink at the bachlorette party then go ahead and drink.  But don't let yourself be victimized by thinking you have no choice in the matter.  You always have a choice over what goes in your mouth.  Always.  :)

• Administrators

Thanks, ladyshanny...you always knock some sense into me!

Just a little down in the dumps - still trying to make the best choices possible (even after our wine binge) - thanks for your support!

Ya, I'm sorry to hear your sad news, that's a blow, for sure! :(  

Treat yourself kindly, rest, take some quiet time, drink some tea and shower yourself and your family in some love. Don't abuse yourself with poor food, you don't deserve that.

Mcki, so sorry to hear about your grandpa. My prayers go out to you and your family.

I haven't been able to stick to this current Whole30 fully either, but I am learning every day about my body and what it likes and doesn't like. I am still doing whole30 90% of the time, and trying only to add non-compliant things for special occasions, like a once in a lifetime dinner out at a fancy French restaurant.

I have learned that I can no longer tolerate wine. (Insert loud wail of grief here….) I used to love dry reds paired with brie or other pretentious French cheeses before my first Whole30, and now a bare 3 oz of wine has me sick for a day or two. What happened? 

I've also learned that pizza does the same thing, as did the one and only doughnut I had yesterday. I'm still sorting out whether dairy or cheese does anything. I don't think so, so far.

Basically, anytime I stray away from the whole30 menu, my symptoms come back so quickly that it's like a whack upside the head. Like my body is saying, "What the bleep are ya doing?!?"

I'm still loving my 3 soft-boiled eggs for breakfast, and I'm still compliant most days. I'm glad I found this way of eating. I'm mostly just sad about the wine.  :(

Oh… I have lost 8 pounds since I started in May. So… woot to that!

Debz, 8 lbs, awesome! sorry to hear about red wine, as a lover of good food and all things french, that's got to be a major bummer.

Mcki, sending prayers and love to your family and gpa, sorry to hear the sad news. 

Well, i'd been doing mostly whole 30 eating still, and my energy is so high, it's awesome, physically feeling clearer and healthier than I have in a while. and going back to exercising regularly has really evened out my moods. but i see how little by little I get thrown for a loop, and i lose it. i'm basically an always-single lady. sigh. i started dating someone new a little while ago and he's a big drinker, and a big eater, which I love. But then i end up drinking quite a bit too, and just not wanting to make my special eating needs part of a new relationship, so i don't. and i just eat what he does, e.g. lots of alcohol, breakfast sandwiches, etc. i don't feel physically bad afterwards (and I do like to drink), but it just shows how easily thrown off course I am (or, conversely, that being rigid and inflexible is my comfort zone, and when the course shifts slightly from the set path, I freak out). So i don't really know where I am right now. I guess I'll just keep doing my thing when i can, and when I feel like going off course, be kind and let it go. It's just hard to know where the line is between healthy and rigid. Does anyone else feel this way? 

Here's a really silly thing, but cool: my thumb nails have always had a ridge in them. I've never known why, just thought that was how my nails grew. but since doing whole 30, it's gone away. I can't believe how strong and pink my nails have become! Skin too, doing whole30 reminds me that skin is an organ, and when we put good things into our bodies, it reflects it in every way. are people still experiencing NSVs?

Holler at ya Team July 20! Bam!

Hi - I've still been getting alerts whenever anyone posts on this board & have enjoyed reading all of them. 

Sophia - I, too, am finding it difficult. I LOVE the way I felt during whole30. And I'm proud that you've been mostly sticking with it! I've definitely been better during the week than I have on weekends, and thankfully, I haven't gone into all out binges, but that used to be me, and I've been there so I totally get it. the issue for me is, I'm just finding it so much easier to go out to eat and order the burger and a beer. I love cooking, but after cooking for 30 days straight (almost every meal) - I was totally burnt out! 

Anyway, this week I'm planning to eat clean for 5 days before I go to a festival this weekend. 

• Administrators

I have learned that I can no longer tolerate wine.

now a bare 3 oz of wine has me sick for a day or two. What happened? 

Me too! Unless I find the few reds that don't bother me (and who knows what they are) I suffer a massive allergy attack the next day.  As though I've been envelopped in a huge pollen cloud.  It sucks!!!!!!!!

Got some updates on my Gpa...sounds like the cancer isn't as bad as they thought. It's slow progressing and may not even need to be removed immediately. Apparently, there is a tumor that hasn't grown for more than a year. He's going in to get a CT scan at the end of the month, but the doctors seem pretty optimistic, which is great news!

Thanks for all your thoughts and well wishes!

That is wonderful news, Mcki. Best wishes to your grandpa.

I went to New York City, and I'll be back home tonight. I ate everything. I do mean everything. Korean barbecue, ooh la la French artisanal cheeses and wine, Thai, oysters and champagne, and something called Pink Berry. I am ready for some sanity. Plus I spent so much money that all I can afford is cat food anyway, which I think is whole 30 compliant. Lol.

Debzella  - that's the thing to do in NYC! I am headed there at the end of August -- notice how I timed my next Whole 30 to conveniently end a week before I go :D

Sophia, Bricky, Mcki TEAM JULY 20: I made a new thread for us, come join: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/29438-starting-july-20-whos-in/

You guys ready??? Anyone else, it's not too late to join us! 

I'm kind of scared to start again, but I'm also really excited! This time, my partner is doing it with me, and she spent today cleaning out the kitchen of all the non-compliant food (something I didn't do last time). It'll be nice not to have all that temptation food around. 

I'm a little nervous because I had to go of town all weekend for a work assignment through Monday, meaning I won't even have time to shop and prep Sunday or prepare my breakfast and lunch on Day 1. I'm like, am I crazy for doing this? But I've thought it all through and think I got this... Hard-boiled eggs, here I come. 

Hey all, hi Micki!

Hope everyone is having a good summer! I'm still eating mostly Whole30, but also drinking alcohol now and then, and going out to restaurants. I'm continuing along with my Whole30 log on the site, keeping track of meals, physical activity, sleep, etc. Today is DAY 70! I had thought I might go on to do another Whole 30 starting July 20, but I feel so amazing still, and still following most of the guidelines that I don't really think it's a good time to do it - particularly because it's summer, and I'm being social and I enjoy eating out and drinking right now. 

The biggest conclusion I came to is that I'm not so much affected by food itself, but by lifestyle. I've figured out that sleep and meal timing are crucial. The greatest changes that I'm still abiding to are 3 large template meals, no snacking, no processed foods or added sugar (including Tea, Debz ;), minimizing dairy, grains, etc. But not being so strict about it all. The thing I'm most astounded by is that I still haven't binged -- except on the two occasions I was visiting family, ummm psychological??? hello. but also noticed that my family just doesn't eat 3 meals and I need to, and don't need to apologize or feel bad for doing so. but not bingeing has been a huge change that I'm so grateful for. I don't have to control myself not to, i'm just full and satisfied and don't really get the urge. And when I do, it's because I haven't eaten enough that day. i can't thank the whole30 enough for ending this lifelong struggle. 

hope everyone is continuing their whole30 journey, off road or on -- and Mcki and Swithy, wish you guys best of luck on this new whole30! I'll continue to post, and maybe move my posts to the post-whole30 section. being accountable on this site has been hugely helpful.

how are y'all doing? what's new?  

• 2 years later...
On 2015-05-31 at 6:17 AM, amanda79 said:

Good morning, friends!  Day 22 here!

Sitting at the computer, eating breakfast (bad habit, I know).  I have my meals planned for the week and grocery list made.  Will go to the grocery store in a bit.  Have what I need to make this pineapple slow cooker pulled pork recipe and will get it in after I eat.  I had to order the coconut aminos from amazon, so I've been waiting patiently to make it.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

http://www.notsodesperatehousewife.com/crockpot/crockpot-pineapple-pulled-pork/

Also planning on batch cooking some roasted veggies and making a large tomato/cucumber salad for the week.  

I started reading a top-rated decluttering/organizing book last night.  Could this be attributed to the Whole30? Itching to do something in this house.  It looks clean and tidy on the surface until you open a cabinet or closet and see the mess hiding within. 

http://www.amazon.com/The-Life-Changing-Magic-Tidying-Decluttering/dp/1607747308

Everyone have a great day!

So fun seeing a Konmari thread here. I did the system two years ago and have stuck to it. I think of Whole30 as Konmari for the gut :-D 

Archived