Starting May 11th

Debzella

Hey- day 8, anyone else foggy today? I so struggling on focusing with work today? So far meals going well and on to second cup of coffee but wow;). Typically I would eat oatmeal in am and missing some carbs I think;)

Happy - Not feeling foggy today but I can relate to the feeling! Finally started feeling really good over the weekend. I was a die hard steel cut oatmeal eater as well. Something that has helped me transition over to the Whole30, I think, is that I usually make sure to incorporate some starchy veggies with M1. I'll have a serving of roasted sweet potato or butternut squash and maybe even some beets. I'm not an expert but just sharing some of my experience.

Hang in there!! 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did it! I did it! I did it!

I made mayo!!!

I used an immersion blender and had real live mayo in about a minute. I took a photo, but I can't get it to upload. I made some substitutions to the recipe because I didn't have any lemon. I used apple cider vinegar instead. And I didn't have "light" olive oil, just extra virgin. So, it is a little olivey tasting, but is that a bad thing? I like it. And my son liked it too. He came home for lunch and made chicken salad with it.  I put it on my mahi-mahi and it was really good.

Other than that astounding feat of daring do, I am sitting on the couch waiting for the energy fairy to come and whack me on the head with her magic wand. It's the only way I'm going to get anything done today. lol.

Love reading these weekend catch-ups! Kill All The Eggs?! Haha I'm so in that phase DEBZ :P and thanks for all the great ideas INIT!

I woke up day 5 feeling great, happy, energetic, and looking forward to a busy day ahead. Also not wanting the huge meal, just not feelin it. Realized how much more planning it takes when you spend a day away from home -- am working from home this summer, which makes things way, way easier on Whole30, feeling lucky about that. Decided not to have coffee, just didn't want or need it. Ate lunch in the car, was so hungry, and figured we probably wouldn't be stopping for food. After a long drive, my energy crashed around 3:30 just before we were heading out for a hike. I felt super lazy and tired, usually I'm the one with the most energy, but yesterday, I was all "you guys go ahead, I'll be in the back." I normally snack a lot on these "get out of the city Sundays". Not yesterday, I was full from all my meals. We didn't end up getting back home until late, so had dinner around 10 PM... Mad Men Potluck Time! My friends were so nice to make compliant foods. and i ended up making chopped liver. for those people who are anemic on here: WOW. it's super easy to make and delicious! I even learned a new food word: Schmaltz (chicken fat). 

DAY 5

M1: egg, sausage, avocado + Kombucha

M2: sausage + sweet potato + snow peas + trail mix + apple

M3: chopped liver + stuffed cabbage + mini franks + french fries + salad + watermelon

Oh and CCG re: sauces... I've been using a lot of fresh herbs, really makes food more flavorful. Also, different spices, like Mexican seasoning, or using ingredients to enhance flavor I don't usually use, like capers (on eggs etc) and shallots (in salads and dressings).  

Hola Day 6, it's on!

Happy - Not feeling foggy today but I can relate to the feeling! Finally started feeling really good over the weekend. I was a die hard steel cut oatmeal eater as well. Something that has helped me transition over to the Whole30, I think, is that I usually make sure to incorporate some starchy veggies with M1. I'll have a serving of roasted sweet potato or butternut squash and maybe even some beets. I'm not an expert but just sharing some of my experience.

Hang in there!! 

As a lifelong morning oatmeal eater, i've been craving sweet potatoes every morning for breakfast too... now i see why :) Thanks for the tip!

Feeling groggy? Big time Happy! This is my worse day yet. I know I'll have to check everything that I'm doing today! Hoping this phase passes quickly.

I agree, Jeanie. I'm moving in slow motion. Tiger blood can't come fast enough.  :)

St. Sophia - I'm glad your potluck was a success. And chicken livers sound really good right now. How did you make them?

Lauriem - homemade sausage? Yes, please. Is the recipe in the new Whole30 recipe book? I haven't bought it yet.

I love reading everybody's posts. What a nice, strong group we have.  :)

You guys...I'm not doing great today. I thought I was but I'm not...I literally just snapped at a co-worker and then had to go apologize for my behavior...I'm craving everything in sight and my tummy feels super hungry! What's going on today?! I mean, I had 2 handfuls of chicken for lunch, with olives, and a whole bag of broccoli/cauliflower....that was just 2 hours ago. I shouldn't be hungry. UGHHH. Drinking water....not satisfying. Help!

You guys...I'm not doing great today. I thought I was but I'm not...I literally just snapped at a co-worker and then had to go apologize for my behavior...I'm craving everything in sight and my tummy feels super hungry! What's going on today?! I mean, I had 2 handfuls of chicken for lunch, with olives, and a whole bag of broccoli/cauliflower....that was just 2 hours ago. I shouldn't be hungry. UGHHH. Drinking water....not satisfying. Help!

I know everyone is different, but I would try adding more "fats" during your meals. If I just have eggs and veggies for breakfast, I'm hungry a lot faster than if I add 1/2 an avocado to the eggs. That add'l fat really keeps me full.

I know everyone is different, but I would try adding more "fats" during your meals. If I just have eggs and veggies for breakfast, I'm hungry a lot faster than if I add 1/2 an avocado to the eggs. That add'l fat really keeps me full.

I have 1/2 of an avocado or 1-2 handfuls of olives per meal....I must be PMS-ing.

oh - one more thing mcki - when you say you're hungry, could you eat another meal of chicken and broccoli/cauliflower? Does that sound appetizing? Or are you hungry for something else/specific? I used this test on myself during week 1, and it made it very easy for me to distinguish true hunger vs. cravings.

Interesting that Chia pudding counts as SYWPO.  I was under the impression that SWYPO was all about coming to terms with one's own "no brakes" food.  For example I can eat tortilla chips and guac/salsa until the bag is empty, so I opted not to make kale chips and guac because that would definitely feel like a way to "cheat in" my sin foods.  However, I am not a fan of pudding generally and don't have a sweet tooth so the chia pudding was a solution for stomaching chia seeds.

I am feeling frustrated now about protein.  Moderators have been great about sending me the veg shopping list and the AIP shopping list, but basically the only recognized vegetarian protein is eggs and I am supposed to out eggs on the AIP side, so I feel like I have to improvise my proteins.  I keep getting responses about how nuts, olives, chia seeds, are all categorized as fat and not protein.  Is there a vegetarian non-egg protein that I am overlooking?

Thanks. I appreciate all the help I can get

I am feeling frustrated now about protein.  Moderators have been great about sending me the veg shopping list and the AIP shopping list, but basically the only recognized vegetarian protein is eggs and I am supposed to out eggs on the AIP side, so I feel like I have to improvise my proteins.  I keep getting responses about how nuts, olives, chia seeds, are all categorized as fat and not protein.  Is there a vegetarian non-egg protein that I am overlooking?

DUCKMAMA: I'm very curious to hear what you find out about vegetarian sources of protein. can you please post what you find? I home-brew Kombucha, and add chia seeds to that. I find it delicious and texturally amazing (but I like weird texture foods). Maybe try adding it to your drinks?

DEBZ: The chopped liver recipe was from Ina Garten, minus the wine: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/chopped-liver-recipe.html

Although, i'm pretty sure it could be made even more simply with just the four main ingredients: liver, fat, eggs, onion w/ salt and pepper. It will also give you a chance to use your hand blender again. I love that thing! ;)

Sorry you're feeling frustrated. The reality is, the Whole30 is an omnivore-based plan.  

That being said, the Whole30 book has recommendations for how to use the Whole30 framework within the scope of choosing to eat vegetarian, vegan and or pescetarian. When you go any of those routes, it's technically not a Whole30, and you may not get the same powerful results as those who follow the Whole30 as written.

Day 9 coming to a close. Mood and energy were average today. Still struggling a little with hunger between meals. Mostly in the evening. I've been having a snack of pistachios in the evening. Probably eating dinner to early, but I'm hungry!

Made a coffee pot roast that someone linked in the meal planning forum and it was so good!

To clarify on the recommended protein serving, it's not 2 handfuls, it's 1-2 palm-sized portions. That means at least the length, width and thickeness of your palm, or double that.

In your later post, you mentioned you might be PMS'ing. If so, be sure to have a fist-sized serving of carb-dense vegetables daily.

Day 9 coming to a close. Mood and energy were average today. Still struggling a little with hunger between meals. Mostly in the evening. I've been having a snack of pistachios in the evening.

If you're genuinely hungry between meals (litmus test: you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), the recommendation is to have a mini-meal of protein, veg and fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30.

Also, at your main meals, play with your protein, veg and fat portions until you get to a place where your meals satiate you for 4-5 hours.

I had an interesting day. I rushed out the door this morning without being able to eat breakfast so I could get to the dmv early. I her spent four hours, yes FOUR,waiting to renew my license that I didn't know echoed because they never sent my notice. So... no food until about 1:30 PM.

So for brunch, I had sweet potato hash with three eggs. For dinner I made Nom Nom Paleo pressure cooker Kalua pig with mango avocado salsa on a bed of cabbag/carrot/broccoli slaw. It was good, and I made a huge batch of pork so I was able to freeze enough for another meal plus keep some leftovers in the fridge. I also made a double batch of the salsa.

I had more energy today even with missing one meal.

Yay I am wrapping up day 8 and feeling pretty good. I have been blending butter and coconut oil in my coffe just cause I can't do black coffee and love lattes. So good...I think it's called "bullet proof coffee" or something like that.

We had shrimp and yummy roasted brussel sprouts with bacon and garlic chunks last night.... Hubby went a bit crazy with garlic so I have been farting up a storm for the past 24 hours!

There are so many great recipes Ive tried. I'll try to post some of my favorites. Turkey tacos are my go to! You just have to have lots of seasonings in your pantry! I have nom nom paleo app on my iPad and use that occasionally, but mostly find lots on Pinterest! I'm getting a little sick of doing dishes, but my pants fit better and that's a worth while trade off!

Today was fine - nothing exciting to report. Kind of low energy. A little disappointed that I'm still not able to focus for long periods of time on getting work done, but that could be unrelated to Whole30. 

A consistent problem I seem to have is that without having eaten dinner, I get home late, and just want to head to bed. What should I do: should I eat a meal and then go to bed, or just make up for it in the morning? 

M1: sautéed mushrooms, spinach, tomato, avocado eggs on top and baked + kombucha

M2: BAS (Big Ass Salad) w homemade balsamic + stuffed cabbage + Chopped liver
SNACK: carrots + cuke + celery + balsamic dressing (get home late, and eat some veggies before bed) 

• Moderators

I'd second GFChris's suggestion to get the book if you can -- either book, either It Starts With Food, which goes into a lot more of the science behind the program, or the new The Whole30 book which is more of the nuts and bolts of how to do a W30. Both have sections on doing the program as a vegetarian with some discussion on what might be your better options for protein sources. ISWF has been out longer and might be easier to find at your local library if you prefer to go that route. 

To do a vegetarian Whole30 is always going to be a compromise, and the Hartwigs are pretty clear about that. They (and, I think, everyone here) respects your right to base your food choices on your own moral/ethical beliefs, but understand that the W30 framework is meant for omnnivores, and when you alter the program to meet your beliefs, it is a compromise between what W30 posits as the best way to eat for your physical health and you living within your belief system. Again, you have every right to eat what you believe is right for you, I'm just trying to explain why it is so hard to recommend the best options for you. I know that must be frustrating for you. 

In addition to the books, you might also look at some of the older threads in the vegetarian section and see what others have used for protein. (This one might be helpful.) 

The biggest issue I see is that you're choosing to do the AIP version, which leaves out eggs, but you have to get protein from somewhere, and other possible vegetarian protein sources, like dairy products or legumes, are also likely to be inflammatory (which is why they're left out of the W30 program). I'm not really sure what the answer is for you. It seems like you're going to have to pick some source of protein, despite it being possibly inflammatory. If you were willing to eat any meat, even just fish, I'd say start with a regular W30, and then do careful reintroductions of other protein sources so you'd know which vegetarian options were best for you going forward, so you'd know exactly how things like soy or other legumes or dairy actually affects you, but if the only animal-based, W30 protein you're willing to eat is eggs, and you're trying to limit them, that's not going to work. 

This site lists egg yolks as a gray area for AIP, so that might not be such a bad choice. Or google vegetarian AIP and see what other people are doing, understanding that it's not going to match up exactly with a Whole30. Part of the reason the the vegetarian shopping list has blank spaces is for you to list whichever protein sources you decide will work best for you. 

There are some ways to make the more inflammatory foods less so, although it's not perfect. For instance, if you choose to include legumes, look for instructions on soaking them, as that's supposed to help reduce some of the inflammatory compounds they contain. Check out something like the Weston A. Price Foundation or the Nourishing Traditions cookbook for instructions. Whatever you decide to include, continue to follow the no added sugar, no carrageenan or msg or sulfites, and other Whole30 rules, and continue to try to make your meals match the meal template as much as you can, with a mix of protein, fat, and vegetables, with fruits occasionally with a meal. 

I really do hope you figure out some way of eating that works for you, and I really wish I could say for certain what protein sources would work best for you, but it's really a very individual thing, and I think you'll just have to try different things and see what works for you. 

Yay I am wrapping up day 8 and feeling pretty good. I have been blending butter and coconut oil in my coffe just cause I can't do black coffee and love lattes.

Just confirming: is it *clarified* butter you're using? Only clarified butter or ghee are compliant: regular butter is not.

Good morning! Day 9 here. Last night for dinner, I went to have the leftover chicken, and it was gone. A hazard of the Whole30 is that there are some pretty good leftovers in the fridge… and my family loves leftovers for lunch…. so plan B. I found compliant andouille sausage at the grocery store yesterday, and made a stir-fry with onions, mushrooms, chopped tomato, garlic, green olives and sliced andouille. I had half a cauliflower left so I made rice out of it, and added it to the stir-fry. Topped it with chopped basil, and I had a compliant "jambalaya". It was delicious.

After dinner, I was still waiting for the energy fairy to come. She didn't. But after a while, a small trickle of something that might have been energy dribbled through my veins, and I did a 30 minute yoga video. It felt good to do something. Anything. Went to bed early, and WTH!! I had a good night's sleep!! I haven't had one of those for years! I can't even begin to say what that means to me. Happy, happy, happy!

So, even if that is the only benefit that ever happens for me, it is worth it. And I have renewed enthusiasm for the program. Even the eggs.  :)

I have also noticed these things… I can breathe better, my belly rolls are significantly smaller, and my skin looks better (even though it hasn't been this oily since junior high, I'm thinking all that oiliness has to be good for my wrinkles… :P ) 

Breakfast this morning - 2 poached eggs and compliant proscuitto, kalamata olives, and sliced apple.

Lunch - BAS (lol St. Sophia!), mahi-mahi, raspberries

Dinner - Homemade bison burgers on top of eggplant curry, zucchini sautéed in ghee.

How is everyone this morning?

You've done well Debzella

If you like andouille or any compliant sausage and your family enjoys leftovers

have you considered roasting up a good quantity in the oven along with

Maybe compliant smaller sized meatballs boneless skinless Chicken thighs after it browns a bit in compliant fat add onion peppers celery and whole peeled tomatoes and red orcyukon potatoes with a bit of bone broth

Cook until tender

You'll have plenty of leftovers and breakfast goodies to pull out or for their sandwiches too

Good luck on your journey

Archived