Starting May 11th

Debzella

Hi everybody! I'm just gonna jump into this feed because everyone seems to be so supportive and generally pretty awesome!  :D

I started on Monday, so I'm on Day 3 now. I'm a little groggy this morning after my breakfast. I pretty much did exactly what I wasn't supposed to do before starting a W30 and ate all the things before I started. So I feel like I'm having a bit of a junk food hangover. I have quite a few beverages over the weekend. And I ate tons of grains (cinnamon buns, cheeseburger buns, noodles, biscuits, etc.). 

Prior to my weekend binge, though, I was eating pretty W30 compliant in order to get myself ready for the real thing. So far so good except for the midmorning slump. I even ate out last night at a work event without any issue and I had a delicious and satisfying meal (grilled fish tacos w/out the tortilla, quac, and pico, with a house salad with oil and vinegar)

I love all the support and tough love on this feed! Keep it up everyone!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snacking and hand to mouth all day grazing is discouraged, yes. We recommend and prefer that you create your meals to keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours.  If you are hungry between meals we recommend a mini meal of at least protein and fat but ideally also veggies.  Fruits and nuts eaten alone are not recommended and can cause blood sugar fluctuations and volatile energy as well as late day cravings for some people. Nuts can be foods without brakes (ie, can't stop at a couple) for some people and can also cause digestive distress in many.

Thank Lady Shanny. As a lifelong grazer, this is going to be difficult. I haven't seen it in the book-- is there a section about the importance/ reasons for 3 meals a day versus 5 smaller ones? does anyone else feel sluggish after eating such big meals, and if so, does it go away?

I'm already thinking about mad men finale on sunday -- going to a mad men themed potluck, and have decided to bring meatloaf and mashed potatoes w/ peas. at least i know there'll be something there whole30 compliant. hah. food on the brain for sure. 

keep it going all!

• Administrators

Thank Lady Shanny. As a lifelong grazer, this is going to be difficult. I haven't seen it in the book-- is there a section about the importance/ reasons for 3 meals a day versus 5 smaller ones? does anyone else feel sluggish after eating such big meals, and if so, does it go away?

Yes, switching from grazing to eating 3 meals a day can be difficult.  You might have to tweak as you go.  Form a complete template meal and eat as much as you can. Pack it up and take it with you and eat from it again as soon as you feel able.  As you do this, you'll be able to eat more of it until you are eventually eating the full meal.  The sluggish feeling you're getting is because your body isn't used to this....but it's what it is biologically designed to do.

The digestive system isn't meant to run along all day long.  It needs to run a digestion cycle, send all the nutrients into the body for distribution and then wind down and rest and let the body use what it was given.  4-5 hours later it should be ready to go again.  Constantly flooding your body and your system with food isn't how we were designed.

It takes some working through but you can do it.  You aren't the first grazer and you won't be the last....but you can do it!  :)

Thanks ladyshanny -- Will pay more attention to making the complete template meal. This forum has been so incredibly useful, and I'm so appreciative of the conversations here. I think I'll spend some time each night digging around. I'm used to eating more frequently bc I get dizzy a lot, which I've always attributed to low blood pressure/ low blood sugar/ anemia/ hypoglycemia combo. But water, sleep, acupuncture, and not skipping meals, also help with this. 

Am looking forward to really doing the big three meal template and seeing how that goes. 

Thank you!

Yes, switching from grazing to eating 3 meals a day can be difficult.  You might have to tweak as you go.  Form a complete template meal and eat as much as you can. Pack it up and take it with you and eat from it again as soon as you feel able.  As you do this, you'll be able to eat more of it until you are eventually eating the full meal.  The sluggish feeling you're getting is because your body isn't used to this....but it's what it is biologically designed to do.

The digestive system isn't meant to run along all day long.  It needs to run a digestion cycle, send all the nutrients into the body for distribution and then wind down and rest and let the body use what it was given.  4-5 hours later it should be ready to go again.  Constantly flooding your body and your system with food isn't how we were designed.

It takes some working through but you can do it.  You aren't the first grazer and you won't be the last....but you can do it!   :)

I too am finding these meal sizes to be enormous and hard to get down. Yesterday after lunch I was so tired, I found an empty room in my office and took a nap. 

Even though I usually eat pretty healthy food, I have always had a problem with overeating. But now after feeling so full after every meal, I think I will never want to overeat again. 

Day 3... Feel soooooo tired and achey. Doing well though. So far at work this week... Monday, we got an edible arrangement with chocolate covered fruit, Tues, cake from a local bakery, Today, drug rep brought Chipotle for lunch ( I work at a peds office). I have stayed the course! I hope everyone else is staying strong! Have a great day!

Day 3... Feel soooooo tired and achey. Doing well though. So far at work this week... Monday, we got an edible arrangement with chocolate covered fruit, Tues, cake from a local bakery, Today, drug rep brought Chipotle for lunch ( I work at a peds office). I have stayed the course! I hope everyone else is staying strong! Have a great day!

Oh my gosh!!! WAY TO GO Tee030!!!!! Such great accomplishments for saying NO but saying YES to a healthier option and life. Those stinkers for bringing in all that stuff to work! GOODNESS :)

• Administrators

Lunch!! Nom... It was really great! Saved my plum for after my 2.89 mile walk during lunch.

20150513_113827.jpg

Is that corn in your meat mixture? Corn is not permitted on Whole30 as it's classified as a grain.  :(

EVOO is extra virgin olive oil.  :)

Ha ha i feel bit thick now! Never mind. A lovely salad for dinner with eggs and leftover bolognaise. I bought smoked salmon but on reading the label noticed it had sugar in it. Note to self - remember to bring reading glasses when shopping. Its crazy when you start really looking just how much stuff has added sugar. Things you thought were healthy and things you just think why?

Challenge for tomorrow cut down to 2 cups of coffee. My poor work colleagues. ........

Really!?! I didn't know this!?! They should put that here? I spent a whole day reading the website and I don't remember it anywhere stating about corn. http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

I just found it here... http://whole30.com/step-two/ 

Oh my goodness! I didn't even know... I even put it in my pantry and was like (Oh this is a vegetable!)  :(  :(  :(

:( Nickie that stinks that you missed it.  I missed the soy in my tuna the first day.

Day 4 for me.  Slept well last night.  Went to the gym and lifted for about 50:00 then did 10:00 run/walk intervals on the treadmill.  Had egg and veggie scramble with avocado for breakfast.  For lunch I am having chicken breast and spinach salad with balsamic vinaigrette.  I've been cooking for years and am amazed at the things I am learning in the kitchen!  The method in the book for searing the chicken breasts on the stove and then putting in the oven is brilliant!  Also, I just made my first batch of dressing!  I always avoided it because I didn't want to chop up a bunch of fresh herbs.  I just put 3 parts oil and 1 part balsamic in a plastic container.  Added salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Shook and poured.  Delicious and easy!! 

• Administrators

Question....when having the Whole30 mayo with food, are you supposed to count that as your "Fat" serving for that meal? Or is it just an add on?

Yes, the mayo would be the fat serving.

I'm jumping in and joining this thread! I started May 11th too! How is everyone doing on Day 3?? My biggest is sitting down and eating enough for breakfast to get me through to lunch. Any protein snack ideas to get me through? I eat breakfast before I leave for work at 6:30, and don't have my lunch break until 11:30. (teachers hours) Also, I have crohn's disease so raw veggies are very hard on my tummy, and the Lara bars I found after eating one are hard on my digestive system as well. I'm excited to share this journey with all of you!! :D

• Administrators

Does this means I need to start over?  :( I am beating myself up over that now... 

Beating yourself up is unnecessary, you made a mistake.  Read the article "Do I Have To Start Over" linked below and tell us what you're going to do.

Good afternoon! Doing well so far. A little low energy today, but calmer, somehow, no headache. My breakfast of 3 eggs and onion, potato and olive hash lasted me 5 hours before I was hungry again. Just had lunch of 8 oz. mahi-mahi pan-seared with greens and tomatoes, and a handful of cashews. Now, I am going to take my low-energy self to the Y and walk the track, maybe swim a little and then shop for a pressure cooker.  :)

Dinner tonight will be the Chocolate Chili on the Clothes Make the Girl website. It looks delicious and I'm excited to try it. (Thanks, Arin) I'll serve it with (or on) a baked sweet potato and leftover eggplant from yesterday.

I have to be honest, I'm really intrigued by the "Kill All The Things" phase which shows up around the 4th day… sounds cathartic and a little bit fun.  :P

I am going to start over... Tomorrow will be Day 1 for me, however I'm going to stay here with everyone and not binge on crap tonight! Hopefully I won't have any hiccups or unknowingly make a mistake. I am glad I posted the photo and I was made aware of my mistake. Thank you! I already had planned to keep going even after the 30 days, so I'm not going to let this slip up bother me anymore. Thank you ladyshanny for letting me know! It is a learning experience! However, I want to stay true to the plan. If I have corn last even and for lunch, what is not to say that I may 'slip up' this weekend too and continue. 

On Day 3 and I'm feeling fine, which frightens me.  It takes me upwards of 2-3 hours to finish my meals as I was an accomplished grazer, but I'm definitely trying to keep time between ending one meal and starting the next.  Also going from vegetarian of a year back to meat might be why I'm filling up and having to take longer to eat.

Best of luck to all!

Tee030: IMPRESSIVE. Do you usually munch on the snacks that come into your office? I have to say, after eating such an enormous lunch, I can't imagine snacking. Yeah, gimme two hours and I'll report back ;)

Swithy: THANK YOU! I totally spaced on that! The peas are what made the mash potatoes so mid-century, but yeah, you're right. Hm... maybe i'll just bring a plate of overcooked box-frozen carrots, string beans and cauliflowers. Hah!

I just finished an enormous lunch. It doesn't feel good. But is what it is. And FWIW, it was delicious:

all natural, no sugar added sausage sautéed in EVOO with snap peas, mushrooms, garlic and onion + sweet potato w/ ghee and cinnamon. 

Nickiechan: bummer you didn't know. But glad to hear you're staying on course, and staying in the forum! Let's keep it going! 

Archived