Starting May 11th

Debzella

Then, this morning, I woke up instantly in "Kill all the things!" I was disgruntled even before I got out of bed… and disgruntled is really the only word that fits. I was resentful towards my eggs this morning, and mad at the world in general. I'm still mad at my grocery store because I know they're marking their eggs organic when they're obviously not. I know this because I am growing a hormonal beard to rival Duck Dynasty. Yes, I'm stomping around my kitchen, like a huge, spoiled baby. In fact, I'm wishing that I could go back in time and smack myself in the head for yesterdays's posting that I couldn't wait for the Kill all the Things stage. lol…. sort of. 

Anyone else experiencing this lovely, lovely stage? I am chanting, "This too shall pass… this too shall pass…" but I'm doing it in a very snotty voice. And that's ticking me off too. 

Oh my gosh, I literally just burst out laughing at work :) Thank you for the humor and lightheartedness!! We got this :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

In fact, I'm wishing that I could go back in time and smack myself in the head for yesterdays's posting that I couldn't wait for the Kill all the Things stage. lol…. sort of. 

Haha, I chuckled when I read that yesterday about KATT being cathartic. LOL

Day 4 and everything is still good. I made sweet potato home fries with ghee and onion in my cast iron skillet and it was delicious! I LOVE GHEE, AND I'M NOT AFRAID TO ADMIT IT!

Also, I apparently have been doing scrambled eggs wrong my whole life. The recipe in the W30 book blew my socks off! Maybe I'm a bit too enthusiastic about scrambled egg but they were pretty darn good!

I had dreams about non-compliant food last night and I remember freaking out in my dream because I had to start my W30 over again. I don't even remember what food I had eaten, but I just remember being very upset. I'm glad those feelings did not carry over into today. I'm just laughing about it now.

I'm not ready to kill all the things yet. For now I'm still staying mostly positive. I have a meeting today where I know there will be birthday cake so I'll need to strength for that for sure!

I LOVE THIS GROUP - you all really keep me going. Nickiechan - that dinner looks delicious! Do you use a spiralizer? 

Confession: I grocery shop for an older woman who can't get around too well. On Tuesday night, I was doing a huge shop for her with cart full of non compliant food, I just caved and ate a bunch of cinnamon crackers. It wasn't even like "I must eat it this!!!" it was more like a slow motion, "I think I'm just going to eat this right now" and gave in. Blargh. So yesterday was a new Day 1 for me :( Luckily, I happen to be doing this with a friend, who also had to start over that same day, so we're both on Day 2 together which makes it a little easier, but still. Outside of feeling kind of lame, now I see how easy it is to jump ship, and have a newfound sense of determination. 

Got up early today and made compliant/natural sausage with two fried eggs and sautéed spinach w/ onions for breakfast. Looking forward to a hearty whole30 lunch. Shoafie - I love Ghee too, so delicious and sweet, don's miss butter at all! Maybe in your meeting today, when people are eating cake, bring in something that is compliant so you'll have something to eat too?

Hope this little board can be the one non-Kill All Things in everybody's Kill All Things day ;)

I'm already tired of all the kitchen time and the never ending dishes.

I know, so many dishes! I feel like I am always standing at the sink. I have to use so many mixing bowls and different things, it's driving me crazy!

I know, so many dishes! I feel like I am always standing at the sink. I have to use so many mixing bowls and different things, it's driving me crazy!

Fun fact of the day! I was listening to the radio and they were talking about how to keep your kitchen/house clean (or for me, less messy) and one of the things they said people do that is helpful is empty the dishwasher every morning. I didn't really think anything of it but if you do that in the morning, it's open for the entire day and just willing to accept all those dirty dishes. Then, before you go to bed, wash those dishes and repeat the next morning!

My husband and I have been doing this all week and we're surprised it's actually working! (sorry, if those of you out there without a dishwasher...dishes stink!)

Heeey, day 4! How's everyone doing today? I totally had a NSV last night! Our neighbors came over to sit on the porch and everyone had wine except for me! It was only tempting for about 3 seconds and then I was totally fine passing it up. (In my normal life, I loooooove wine.)

HOOLLY MOOOLY - Yesterday kicked my (shrinking) booty! Hangovers suck and that's why I don't drink too much. Anyways, I am feeling better today and in a pretty good mood! In my past whole30's, I hit the "I'm not hungry" phase about right now and today is totally right on track! I just have no appetite. This has always happened around day 4-8(ish) for me. Anyone else experience this????? This results in lower energy (duh) so the next several days aren't so much "kill all the things" but more like "can I escape being an adult so I can just watch movies on the coach all day??".  

You guys are all rockin' my socks off! Cheers!

Am I doing something wrong? I don't want to kill all the things... in fact, I feel pretty upbeat! 

Other than crazy tiredness on Day 2 afternoon, and a headache after dinner on Day 2 and 3, I'm overall feeling pretty normal. I had some strong cravings for candy on Day 2, but since then they have stayed away. 

Is anyone else doing the 7-day meal plan from the book? I have already veered from it. There were too many leftovers, so I am still eating Day 1 and 2 food. 

Last night, I decided to do my own thing with the chicken, and make a favorite recipe of chicken in garlic anchovy sauce. So good, and best of all, familiar. I think that's the stage I'm in now, is looking for familiar foods that are still compliant, so that this doesn't feel like a total overhaul, you know? It's also really fun to comb through my favorite cookbooks and find things that are compliant or that I can adjust in a small way. 

Today, I'm making brisket (as per the mealplan) but I'm making it my way instead of the way in the book. Not too different, but I already know I will like it. 

I threw out the ranch dressing. And after polishing off the frittata (finally!) this morning, I decided I am not making anything else I don't really like, because at these huge portion sizes, it makes eating feel like a chore. 

Leftover frittata for breakfast plus two more hard-boiled eggs mashed with 1/2 avocado. Chicken garlic anchovy leftovers with roasted potatoes and caesar salad (no cheese!) for lunch today. Tonight, brisket with roasted sweet potato and the last of the spaghetti squash. Yum. 

My office is having a birthday party this afternoon and everyone brought in pastries. I'm telling myself I will be fine. Honestly, I'm not even craving it...but wait till I see it. 

St. Sophia - Yes. I got this one and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! I have been using it at every dinner since it came in on Tuesday! And I just noticed it has dropped by $5! UGH.... :'(

http://www.amazon.com/Paderno-World-Cuisine-A4982799-Tri-Blade/dp/B0007Y9WHQ/

My headache went away after I walked for lunch, however I do feel like I need to be eating a bit more for breakfast and lunch. I still didn't feel satisfied after lunch today. :/ I drank a cold glass of water and it helped. 

So... I am debating on going to grocery store tonight AND tomorrow night... they are two different stores so... it is ok.  :P

Debzella, the InstantPot pressure cooker is awesome. It is also a slow cooker and something we don't need at this point, a rice cooker. But I'm going to get rid of my crockpot because I've used the Instant Pot for both pressure and slow cooking and is awesome. Definitely check it out. You can sautee and brown meat directly in it before starting the pressure cooking.

I'm not hungry either - in fact, my stomach feels like it did when I was 8 months pregnant! Ugh!

But I'm eating...and drinking water...and went for a walk.

P.S. my co-workers are STILL alive. But one of them is really pissing me off! Stop Breathing will ya???

Haha, I chuckled when I read that yesterday about KATT being cathartic. LOL

Yes, that was silly of me.  :)  On the plus side, I stopped stomping around and journaled, channeled some zen and went out to Kill All The Weeds!! Nothing like putting grumpy energy to good use on something that can't fight back.  :)

Debzella, the InstantPot pressure cooker is awesome. It is also a slow cooker and something we don't need at this point, a rice cooker. But I'm going to get rid of my crockpot because I've used the Instant Pot for both pressure and slow cooking and is awesome. Definitely check it out. You can sautee and brown meat directly in it before starting the pressure cooking.

I found it on Amazon. It looks perfect. I'll be ordering this, pronto. Thanks, Arin!

I'm feeling a little like I'm on protein overload, but then it occurred to me, that if I move my muscles, I might burn off some of that protein. Novel concept for me… exercise! Along with my foul mood, I'm also feeling like I could lift a car today. What is happening? Whose body is this???  :huh:

I had a lot of energy yesterday afternoon and evening. So more cooking ensued. My husband isn't eating enough. He's used to having a big protein shake as he runs out the door in the morning, and then Greek yogurt with granola for a morning snack at work. Since none of that works anymore, he hadn't been eating enough. So I made a bacon leek egg bake last night so we both can have an easy quick breakfast. It is SO good, and it was so nice to not have to cook for once this morning. And he finally had a good breakfast, too.

I've made it to bootcamp every day this week so far. I think the weekend will be really challenging, that's usually where things fall apart for me. I'll be out of the house a ton for the million kid activities we have going on. I really need to plan and prepare food for being on the go. I'm kind of at a loss right now.

I started on May 11th as well!! How's everyone doing on Day 4?? I had a headache all day yesterday...sugar withdrawal perhaps?! It has passed, though.

Have been loving all of the yummy, whole food so far!! Lots of preparation but well worth it!

Welcome, init2winit! 

I made it through my work meeting with the cake, and I even sliced it for everyone! And then proceeded to sit and eat my lunch. It really didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. 

That's great progress for only the 4th day! BOOM!

ShoafieATC, I just did the same thing. Someone brought a huge box of beautiful doughnuts and a tray of chocolates to work. I didn't want any of it. 

I just grabbed a handful of cherries and ate my lunch, which was delicious. Now the box is just sitting there... but I'm too full to even think about it. 

We are winning office parties right now! 

Hi sitting in my pj's drinking sparkling mineral water with lime in it when thursday evening is usually wine o'clock but it's actually really nice.

Had delicious dinner tonight almost disgraced myself and licked the plate :) . Mashed sweet potato made with coconut milk, salmon baked in foil with onions and walnut pesto and sprinkle of chillie and side salad sprinkled with balsamic. The best bit is i made double so can eat it tomorrow too. Woop woop!

Day five tomorrow. My fridge is empty so will need to restock tomorrow. Gonna get stuff to make your curry Debzella. Is it just me or do you feel a bit obsessed with food?

You are all doing so well on those office temptations! You are strong, strong people!  :)

Welcome, init2winit! 

I made it through my work meeting with the cake, and I even sliced it for everyone! And then proceeded to sit and eat my lunch. It really didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. 

That's great progress for only the 4th day! BOOM!

Boom is right! Awesome, Shoafie!

ShoafieATC, I just did the same thing. Someone brought a huge box of beautiful doughnuts and a tray of chocolates to work. I didn't want any of it. 

I just grabbed a handful of cherries and ate my lunch, which was delicious. Now the box is just sitting there... but I'm too full to even think about it. 

We are winning office parties right now! 

I would have had to run screaming from the room. lol. Great job! It is really inspiring to read how everyone is handling all of this. So glad I'm here.  :)

Breakfast today was 3 scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and tomato. Lunch was left over eggplant and chicken drumstick, and the rest of the canned salmon from Tuesday. Dinner will be leftover chocolate chili and sweet potato from yesterday, and some raspberries. 

Tonight, I'm going out with my daughter to a comedy club. Her boyfriend is a stand-up comedian. Ordinarily this would be a temptation to have a glass or 3 of wine, but not this time. I will not compromise my journey! It helps that my daughter is training as a bodybuilder and she has will of iron. She never cheats on her diet. Ever. I'm bringing a water bottle filled with lemon water, and a bag of cashews, in case I feel myself slipping.

• Administrators

I'm bringing a water bottle filled with lemon water, and a bag of cashews, in case I feel myself slipping.

You won't slip.  Eat a proper dinner before you go and that squeezes out room for that "need/want" conversation.

Sunshine33 - I feel the same way! In a good way now! I love thinking of all the great things I can stock my fridge with. Will be doing a big grocery shop this weekend and prepping veggies and protein to "grab and go" during the week. I did some trial run weeks before officially starting and that seemed to work really well for me. I usually made a couple recipes for dinner during the week to switch things up and because I love to cook but the big food prep over the weekend really saved me a lot of time during the week. It also helped me not get anxious over not having anything on hand to eat.

On a side note, my Dad was in town this week and we found ourselves at a restaurant for lunch. I was able to tailor what I ordered so it was Whole30 compliant. I brought some salsa with me to the restaurant. They had grass fed burgers that I asked them to grill without any oil (just in case) and wrapped it in lettuce and had a plain baked potato. I put the salsa I brought on the potato. It was super empowering to know I can still stick to this if I find myself at a restaurant and in a bind. 

Sounds like everyone is doing great!! Let's keep it up!!! 

:D

I used ghee this evening in our dinner and made a sweet potato hash with steak....hubby didn't even notice the difference!!!

Also, we're heading to the lake this weekend and I already told everyone who is going what I'm doing and I would appreciate their support! I have all my food planned out that I'm bringing and have tried some of those Whole30 drinks so I can have that when everyone is drinking! Cheers!

Day 4 and hungry today!  I didn't have enough fat with my lunch, no olives in the salad bar.  Other than that, I'm doing really well!  Tired today though, but that could be work related...not sure.  Oh, I finally made myself a bulletproof coffee today - after work, trying to get a bit of a pick me up - with coconut oil, coconut milk and ghee....so good!  I've missed those.  

Day 5 is coming to a close and I'm not feeling as great about it as the other days.  I got up early and hit the 5:45 a.m. yoga class at my gym.  Had sausage and sweet potatoes with an egg for breakfast.  I was out of town working all day and made the decision to go to a restaurant and have a salad.  Even though I was pressured by my colleagues to eat the buffet, I picked the beef fajita salad - no shell, no sour cream, no cheese.  They brought it with cheese that I pushed to the side.  Also it had all these grilled onions and peppers on it that were cooked in some sort of oil.  I didn't ask what kind.  I'm calling it compliant with my head in the sand.  I really felt like I needed something before spin tonight and ate a lara bar and a banana.  I know that is not ideal, but spin is so intense.  Came home and ate some chicken and roasted veggies for dinner.

Work is very stressful this week and I'm finding myself tearful more than usual.  Not sure if it is w30 related.  I want to drink and eat everything.  I try to remind myself - if hunger is not the problem, food is not the solution!

Bricky - I'm still in research mode on the pressure cooker. My store didn't have anything that looked well made enough. I'm thinking of ordering one online, or going to our local restaurant supply store. What brand do you have?

Debzella - My pressure cooker is a Hawkins brand - my mum has had one for at least 40 years and had to give it to me recently because she got an induction stove and it was made from *aluminium (*I am an aussie so that would be "al - you - mini - um" lol  :)). I thought the old pressure cooker was maybe not as good as it used to be so when I saw Hawkins new stainless steel ones on sale for $59.95 AUD instead of $125 AUD I grabbed one for me and one for mum. The old one maybe only needed a replacement seal but I was so excited and impulsive - is that a side effect?!!? and have decided to give the old one to my daughter or keep it to make two meals at once!!

Archived