Starting May 11th

Debzella

Well, I think I officially crossed over to the "KILL ALL THINGS" mentioned for days 4 & 5. This morning at the office, someone was trying to help with some questions I had and wasn't being the most pleasant, rude and snotty to be exact. Of course I took it personally and literally had to go out to my car, for my lunch break, and bawlmy eyes out!! I don't know if I was so angry that it brought me to tears or if I was just emotionally sensitive, but GOOD LORD. I usually don't do things like that....in a situation like this in the past, I would go binge on Arby's curly fries...instead this time, I went shopping for some new tank tops! Whoa...this too shall pass, this too shall pass! On my way back to the office, I was yelling at cars with my road rage temper even! Goodness.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what if I do have to start over? So what? It's my Whole35  hahaha! Starting NOW!

30 minute walk before lunch, then had stuffed peppers from the new book. So delish.

Happy Friday!

Bring on the weekend!? Who's afraid? Me!

I'm the only one in my household doing this. So, chips, cookies, bread, ice cream, WINE, you name it, is in my house. My plan?  To walk a lot,  and garden, and cook meals for the next work-week. And....post here! 

Although I love reading all y'alls hilarious rants, I am SO not looking forward to the KATT stage.  Does not sound like fun. I mean, I'm PMS'ing pretty hard right now, but that just makes every night an "I want chocolate, pretzels and ice cream" kind of night. Not KATT or cry. I used the forums and Whole30 book last night, and it really gave a lot of good ideas for waiting out the urges.

Today is my DAY 3 and I'm high as a kite. I don't know what's going on, maybe I've lived undernourished? I dunno. Yes, I've been following the template. Yes, I'm eating my protein veggies and fats. And yes, I feel wicked full. But I also don't have the urge to snack, I am full of niceness and energy, and things are going smoothly. The only thing that weirds me out a bit is feeling food-obsessed. I look forward to a week or two from now when I'm not thinking about food so much. That does happen, right?

jeanie793, to your point about the weekend: yes! i'm nervous about being totally out of my comfort zone. i feel confident about the days, but socializing at night makes me nervous.

DAY 3

M1: 2 fried eggs on a bed of sautéed spinach, mushrooms, onion, and avocado in EVO + sweet potato w Ghee and cinnamon 

M2: Roast chicken leg and thigh + roasted vegetables (carrots, onions, fingerlings, sweet potatoes) in EVO with extra spinach and snap peas.

I'm doing well and staying on track. Although, I'd very likely punch someone so that I could steal their Starbucks skinny vanilla latte.

I do have one issue with my belly, probably because I stopped drinking coffee altogether. TMI ALERT: I haven't pooped since Monday. :(

So what if I do have to start over? So what? It's my Whole35  hahaha! Starting NOW!

30 minute walk before lunch, then had stuffed peppers from the new book. So delish.

Happy Friday!

Bring on the weekend!? Who's afraid? Me!

I'm the only one in my household doing this. So, chips, cookies, bread, ice cream, WINE, you name it, is in my house. My plan?  To walk a lot,  and garden, and cook meals for the next work-week. And....post here! 

Happy Friday, Jeanie! I'm glad you're with us, and love your attitude.  :)

I work weekends at home, and like you, I'm the only one doing this in my family… so all those temptations are here. I'm going to focus on work, and put blinders on when I'm in the kitchen. I used to snack when work got stressful, but I'm not going to this time. I'll just focus on coming out the other side, a Whole30 monster, on Monday. lol. 

I went shopping today and bought ghee. I sautéed chicken breasts in it tonight, and I am seriously in love. How can that taste so good???

Have a good weekend!

• Administrators

I do have one issue with my belly, probably because I stopped drinking coffee altogether. TMI ALERT: I haven't pooped since Monday. :(

Yoinks!  Have you been eating your greens? Spinach, kale etc?  Cooked is easier on the stomach than raw. You can also get a magnesium supplement; Natural Calm Unflavoured is Whole30 compliant.  One of the side effects of magnesium is that it draws water into the intestines causing, sometimes, diarrhea.  This could definitely help you!

Is it possible to be eating too much?  I mean, duh, of course I could be eating too much, but if it is mostly veggies is that going to be detrimental?  I'm just so full until I'm completely starving, and feel so bloated after eating.  Still have had zero detox symptoms at Day 5 too, which makes me think I must be doing something wrong, but I'm not cheating and have logged every bite.

Also, thank you to Arin for bringing up the TMI poop subject.  I'm definitely not eliminating all I'm taking in...

• Administrators

Is it possible to be eating too much?  I mean, duh, of course I could be eating too much, but if it is mostly veggies is that going to be detrimental?  I'm just so full until I'm completely starving, and feel so bloated after eating.  Still have had zero detox symptoms at Day 5 too, which makes me think I must be doing something wrong, but I'm not cheating and have logged every bite.

Also, thank you to Arin for bringing up the TMI poop subject.  I'm definitely not eliminating all I'm taking in...

Hi ktinto,

Have you posted your food anywhere?  Give us a couple days of typical food consumption including portions as they relate to your palm/thumb, fluids, exercise, sleep, stress and anythign else that might be relevant.  Some bloatey culprits are raw veggies, nuts and their butters, coconut and any excess of somethign that you weren't eating previously (onions, garlic & coconut products come to mind).  We can take a look and see if anything stands out!

Day 5.  I think I might have skipped over kill all the things and moved on to I need a nap.  I woke up feeling refreshed but that quickly passed.  I also woke up feeling skinny - which to me means not bloated.  

Anyone else peeing a ton?  I am not drinking any more water than I usually would and the past 2 days I have to pee every hour.

Hello all! Day 5 is wrapping up!

It's been another good day. I think the fact that I was eating Whole30ish for a few weeks prior to starting has made everything so much easier. I haven't had any major issues and I love all the food I'm eating.

Dinner tonight was amazing! I had leftover guac from last night and I made the salsa from the book. Made a baked verde chicken breast! AMAZING! Just salsa verde mixed with coconut milk poured over the chicken and baked at 400 for 30 minutes! (It called for arrowroot powder to thicken it, but I didn't have any). My boyfriend sautéed up some peppers and onions. So basically fajitas without the tortillas.

The weekend may be a bit trickier but I think I'm prepared. Keep it up, everybody!

Hi!  I started May 10, but am hoping to tag on with you folks, since you seem amazing and supportive.  I started Whole 30 because I really love the idea of a 30 day "cleanse" of sorts and then getting the opportunity to add back and see what feels right.  I have been dealing with unexplained joint pain for a long time, had an RA diagnosis for 10 years, and then was tested during a recent flare and told that there was no inflammation in my blood.  The doctor was baffled.  I was pretty upset, despite learning that I didn't have RA, because I hate medical mysteries and not having a plan for what to try.  I am 3 weeks post-op from surgery (surgery 1 of 2) to get my first prosthetic joint... so I am willing to try a lot to see what I have control over before I become any more bionic.

As my first contribution to the group, I would love to pass on a delicious find and also pose a question.

Breakfast of Champions (this comes from my friend who did Whole 30 a while back)- start the stove top and the oven 400% at the same time.  Santee all sorts of veggies in lots of olive oil with garlic if you want.  I have fallen in love with shallots, book Choy, kale, zucchini, and spinach in various combinations for this. Once the veggies are just a bit shy of being done, flatten them out on your pan/skillet, crack eggs right on top of the veggies and pop the pan into the oven.  Cook until the whites are white, but the yolk is still runny.  You end up with this delicious mix of crispy saluted veggies with almost a sauce of egg yolk on top.  It makes my day.

As for the question- is anyone else regularly getting headaches after meals?  I keep trying to change little factors, like how much water I drink, but I haven't been able to figure it out.

Thanks and it's great to meet you all.  It sounds like you are doing amazing work so far!

salsa verde mixed with coconut milk poured over the chicken and baked at 400 for 30 minutes! (It called for arrowroot powder to thicken it, but I didn't have any). 

I can't wait to make something with coconut milk! it sounds delish. For my meal 3, I made a mexican beef chili and calling it an early night. My afternoon high totally crashed out around 4 and I've been a bit of a zombie ever since. Good luck everyone with the weekend! I'll be around checking your updates. We can rock this! Heres to our health and well being :)

Welcome to the group Duck Mama! Glad you're with us. We're all at varying days in our journey (I'm just at the end of Day 3), and the more the merrier. That Breakfast of Champions sounds amazing! can't wait to try it (any time i can use my cast iron on the stove and in the oven in the same meal makes me happy). Wish I could help with the headache question... I don't get headaches, just stuffed :)

Welcome Duck Mama - I've had a low grade headache too, in addition, I also feel a little nauseaus about 20 minutes after eating...neither lasts more than 10-15 minutes...go figure. I'm not worried. The positive effects totally outweigh these inconveniences.

I don't know about anyone else, but lately food tastes sooooo good doesn't it? No matter what I eat, I want to lick the plate! :o 

I went to the grocery store after work, it took me forever reading all the ingredients! I couldn't find any bacon without sugar or dextrose. I'm waiting patiently for a Whole Foods to open in my neighborhood May 27th. Counting the days!  Friday's when I get home from work I usually treat myself to a glass of Merlot Ok maybe 2.   :wacko:  Not tonight! Instead, I poured sparkling water over ice in my wine glass and squeezed some raspberries over it. Not only was it refreshing, it was pretty too!

Dinner tonight was grilled NY Strip (on sale for $5.00! What!!!) with sautéed red onion in coconut oil, and a mixed green salad with a few strawberries, EVOO and BV.

This is the 3rd day in a row I haven't had to snack between meals. I was a perennial snacker. This is a huge success for me. So happy. 

Ok so this may be a stupid question, but, is ghee just clarified butter?

Enjoy the weekend and good eating everyone!

They are not the same.  This is what I found in a search:

Clarified butter is made simply by heating butter and removing the milk solids which have risen to the top of the pot. In the making of traditional ghee, butter is brought to a boil and cooked until all the moisture is boiled off, and all the milk solids (lactose and casein) have settled to the bottom. These milks solids which have settled on the bottom of the pot are intentionally burned or caramelized, developing nutty flavor to the ghee. Ghee is the pure extraction of oil from butter.

Good morning! Day 6 and tired this morning. Although it's probably from getting calls all night. I work as a telephone triage nurse 63 hours straight on the weekends, so I never know when I'm going to get called. Sometimes I get to sleep, sometimes I don't. It's just the nature of the job. So, facing breakfast with a second cup of coffee under my belt already, and I am just not hungry yet. I feel like I need more vegetables. Maybe that will help with the sluggish feeling. So, maybe a three egg omelet stuffed with tomatoes, onions, leftover roasted carrots, and whatever other vegetables I've got in the fridge. Happy Saturday, all!  :)

So I am still going strong, tired here on day 6 but getting less than 6 hours of sleep with the two kiddos doesn't help the day already being tired;). Just found out that I have a work trip on days 21-23, I do terrible at these meetings and always binge on sugar. Life is easier working for home where I can control my food better but I have to live in real world too;). Then I find out we are celebrating Father's Day on day 27, ugh! My mother in law is the best baker so I rearead the schedule in the book! Day 28 is not the same as day 30 so I will keep reading as that gets closer! Determined to finish for sure!

Breakfast of Champions (this comes from my friend who did Whole 30 a while back)- start the stove top and the oven 400% at the same time.  

I made BoC this morning, and WOW. It was so delicious! Sautéed onion, mushroom, chopped real tomato and crushed tomato from a box, pre-cooked sweet potato, baby spinach and avocado with fresh cilantro, thyme, and paprika. Plopped on 3 eggs and put it in the oven for ~15 minutes. Sprinkled on a bit of my fave Frank's hot sauce and Hello Yum. The best! Thanks DuckMama!

Feel tired and sluggish, and extremely full this morning. Prior to Whole30, I've had a single bowl of oatmeal for breakfast every morning for about 4 years now, so this is a huge shift. It's tasty, and definitely filling. And, like someone else mentioned (TMI)... am carrying around all the food from the past few days.  Would love a trip to the bathroom this weekend. haha that's are my big weekend plan ;) cheers!

Good morning, friends.  Woke up this morning on Day 7 (YAY!!) with a slight headache, but an amazing trip to the bathroom :) 

Yesterday was definitely an off day.  Woke up and did about 50:00 of weightlifting.  Had sausage, sweet potatoes with egg on top for breakfast.  Worked through lunch and didn't eat again until after 5 pm.  Ugh!  Had tuna in oil with mustard on a bed of spinach with carrots and tomatoes.  Work was horrible.  Had the kind of day that makes me want to get in bed and not get out.  We have our weekly card game on Friday nights that is usually eat, drink, and be merry.  Almost thought of staying home, but I wanted to be around people and feel better.  I know it isn't preferred, but I ate a lara bar and a banana before I went.  Drank iced tea with lemon while everyone else enjoyed the fish fry and beer.  It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be although the fish smelled amazing.

On the way home from cards, DH wanted to stop at the convenience store for snacks.  He bought mini doughnuts, rice krispie treats, and gatorade.  I decided to treat myself to some cashews.  Halfway into the package it dawned on me to read the ingredients and there it was - peanut oil. I read the article.  I'm not starting over.  I will be more diligent in reading labels. 

Looking forward to using the weekend for meal prep.  Researching recipes now.  Everyone have a great day!

Day 6 and the dog woke me up at 5:30am on a Saturday! So...we got our walk in and I'm already at 5800 steps so far. Not feeling crazy tired yet but might catch up to me later..have a little headache but so far things are going very well at the cabin with all my pre-prepped food.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

I made BoC this morning, and WOW. It was so delicious! Sautéed onion, mushroom, chopped real tomato and crushed tomato from a box, pre-cooked sweet potato, baby spinach and avocado with fresh cilantro, thyme, and paprika. Plopped on 3 eggs and put it in the oven for ~15 minutes. Sprinkled on a bit of my fave Frank's hot sauce and Hello Yum. The best! Thanks DuckMama!

I'm going to try this BoC too… tomorrow. It sounds delicious! I thank you too, DuckMama.

And St. Sophia… I forgot about Frank's! You just improved my omelet by light years! Thanks.  :)

Archived