Can I have caffeine?

Tiffani

I have 1 diet rockstar per day and I know that is out due to the sugars and other not necessarily "good" ingredients. However, is it ok to have caffeine? I'm thinking in the form of a cup of unsweetend brewed tea....or what are the stats on a caffeine pill?

Yes, caffiene is ok, but you might want to keep it in check for volume and time of day so it doesn't interfere with your sleep. I drink brewed tea, coffee, and kombucha, all of which have some level of caffiene.

I wouldn't take a caffiene pill or supplement myself. Although I don't know if it's forbidden. I actually did the first 15 days or so of this without caffiene at all and I actually felt better without it. And this from the person who can't think without half a pot of coffee:)

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will jump in, but that's my two cents...

Welcome!

In what way? That isn't much info to go on, especially from a professional. Kombucha is fermented tea, fermented foods are very good for the gut. Do a search for kombucha health benefits and dangers and I bet you will find lots of benefits and very few dangers. It is loaded with good bacteria and antioxidants, and sometimes people find that they need to be cautious about the quantity at first until your system gets used to it.

I can tell you my system was messed up in lots of ways before whole 30 and now it's working quite properly. Kombucha has become a part of my daily diet.

Mod here ;0)

Kombucha is fine, as the sugar is actually consumed during the fermentation process. Just be sure not to get the varieties that have a variant of sugar as an ingredient (added after fermentation). The ones in my fridge have 2 (unflavored) and 4g (I think, berry juice added) of sugar.

You'll see some with 10 and 12g - stay far away from those.

• 3 years later...

@jmcbn for the same purpose that everyone else drinks coffee. No, not preWO or fatburner (actually didn't know those were uses, but I guess it makes sense). I have a horrible habit of not finishing coffee and I'm not so keen on black coffee. 

So long answer short: just to get me through the work day like everybody else. 

If there are no off limit ingredients then, technically yes, this would be okay.

That said, if your meals are composed as per the template you should find after the first week that you'll get through your working day perfectly fine without it. If it were me I'd give it a try. The body soon becomes desensitized to caffeine meaning that it needs more & more of it to get the hit, and the only way to REsensitize it is to remove the culprit for a while... It's also hard on the adrenals.

Just sayin'!!

Caffeine pills would be the bandaid that wouldn't heal or fix the fatigue problem.  Those will mess with your adrenal glands.

I don't drink black coffee and I was a coffee fiend.  I gave up coffee and now I drink cold brewed green tea every day.  It's delicate and mild, doesn't affect the gut the way that hot brew does.   Try cold brew coffee, if you like.  Tastes mild. 

Green tea has 50% more active compounds than other varieties and does other great things that coffee never did for me. jmcbn is actually the one who helped me get over that coffee habit.  I have a cold brew tea maker that I have enjoyed so much.  You can make a cold brew coffee, too.  But I add green tea bags and infuse with lemons, limes, cucumbers, berries...I switch it up every day.

hario-cold-brew-brown-coffee-pot-small-m

@jmcbn yes, thank you for your feedback. I currently only use it when I'm desperate, so I'll continue that pattern. I used to take a large daily dosage of ADHD medication that I've only been weaned off of since the spring, and I am still adjusting. That is one of my major drives to do this Whole30. I also moved 5,000 ft higher in elevation so I've got altitude adjustments going on as well. I don't want to be tired ALL the time anymore!! 

I know that the "just want a nap" days will be rough at my desk job. But I understand that my goal should be and is to not need caffeine. 

I have also stretched out a bottle of kombucha with 1/2 & 1/2 cold brew green tea and booch over ice.  It's been great for these hot, smoke filled days.   

I have a small gas station that makes plain black or green tea.  Fill up cup up with ice, pour the booch first and top off with green tea, it's a rather expensive drink @ 5 bucks for the two.  Very, very nice, though.  

Archived