I refuse to give up on ME - Starting May 10th - again......

KeeS

Okay.... April 1, 2015 was my first attempt at the Whole30 plan.  I have had several missteps and restarts since then - so many, I lost count, which had me little bummed over the last few days. :mellow:   But, even with all my slip-ups and restarts I did notice an improvement in how I was sleeping and not as much pain/swelling in my ankle. That is a good thing.  

So, I'm not giving up on me and I will start my Whole30 (again) on May 10th!   :D  :D

I have a renewed focus, clear direction and determination to make this lifestyle change. 

I took my before picture today and I will be posting here to me accountable for my daily choices - 2 things I did not do before. 

Join me on my journey!! My New Life Awaits!!

you can do it !!!   Lots of good info out here - browse the forums - check out how others deal with it.  My advice - be Prepared -   do weekend cooking so you don't have to think last minute (for me that = pizza night)    so I cook up a veggies, make meatballs, or meat patties, brown my meat, cut up veggies. Then I don't have an excuse.

Good luck in your journey !

Thank you Ladies for the support!

Tina Marie, I am great with my meal planning during the week. My downfall is social settings. - I don't want to have to explain my food choices to others. I know it's mental and I need to get over letting others control my plate. Ex. My family knows I Love mac&cheese, if I don't eat it they will not take a gracious 'no thank you' and leave me alone. So I end up putting it on my plate to avoid confrontation. I'm still working through how to handle these types of situations. But I'm determined to complete it this time :)

Carolgirl, taking charge is exactly what I plan to do :)

With my family, I ended up calling up up my folks and explaining to them before hand what I was doing. Don't go into too much detail with them, but tell them you're doing it to just feel better and that it's important to you to really stick with it and that their support is super important. People feel good preparing food for others, but they also feel good when they know they're an important part of something you're doing. Maybe suggest some easy and delicious recipes to them that are hard to make non compliant.

For example, I made some stuffed cabbage today. Literally the only thing I changed from the original recipe was that I left out the rice. Super simple and hard to mess up.

Good luck!

Day 1  - In the Bag!!

M1 spilled into M2 as my son called for Mother's Day just as I finished cooking breakfast and we were on the phone until lunchtime.  So, I reheated and ate for lunch instead.

M1/M2:  Egg Scramble

Eggs, compliant deli roast beef, portabella mushroom and spinach cooked in coconut oil; seasoned with black pepper, turmeric & paprika

Snack: Mashed sweet potato w/ cinnamon & ginger

M3: Grilled fish with small side salad and sauteed vegetable medley mix.

Day 3 - Whew! I'm tired, feeling like I'm moving in slow motion, lol.

M1: peas & carrots and ground turkey

M2: broccoli, tuna and an apple (haven't eaten yet but that's what I packed for today)

• Moderators

Day 3 - Whew! I'm tired, feeling like I'm moving in slow motion, lol.

M1: peas & carrots and ground turkey

M2: broccoli, tuna and an apple (haven't eaten yet but that's what I packed for today)

I really hate to tell you this, but if you mean regular English peas, they're not compliant, as they're legumes. If you meant snow peas or snap peas, where it's mostly the pod part, not just the pea part, those are okay. (I really hope you meant snow or snap peas. I know how disheartening it is to find out something is against the rules.)

Also, be sure you add fat to your meals. You need the fat to help you stay satisfied from one meal to the next. Bonus -- it makes food taste good!

Awww Man!! No I was not aware that there was a difference between English peas & Snap peas... Well - Day 1 here I come. I don't feel as bad having to start over this time, as it was a mistake due to lack of knowledge vs my conscious decision to eat a non compliant food.

I realized I was not adding enough fat to my meals. I'm working on improving that going forward.

Today's Meal Plan:
M1: raw spinach, tuna, avocado
M2: sweet potatoes, broccoli, ground turkey mixed with mushrooms & spinach (cooked in coconut oil)
M3: beets, mixed greens salad w/ almonds & Tessamae's lemon vinegar write dressing*

*I'm out of Tessamae's dressing :(    made my own with olive oil, lemon juice & balsamic vinegar

I had trouble with my friends as well-  mine were mostly - I don't believe you will do the full 30 - Hello   this is now my 3rd.  

I just got to where I said - I'm sorry but that is not part of meals at this time.  Thanks.   I also have said - I'm working on my health and at this time I just can not eat that ..

Good luck !!    Sometimes it is the hardest thing to say to friends - might have to be a bit 'gruff'

I had trouble with my friends as well-  mine were mostly - I don't believe you will do the full 30 - Hello   this is now my 3rd.  

I just got to where I said - I'm sorry but that is not part of meals at this time.  Thanks.   I also have said - I'm working on my health and at this time I just can not eat that ..

Good luck !!    Sometimes it is the hardest thing to say to friends - might have to be a bit 'gruff'

Good job on doing your 3rd!     I'll get there 

My friends are pretty supportive. My family...not so much...but I'm lucky, the food pusher does not live with me.  But I get the phone call before the visit "I'm on my way, do you want a slushy?' when I say "No" next comes  'A frosty?'  I look at the phone wondering if we're really related because 1) I don't like milk chocolate so I've NEVER had a frosty - figured there was no reason to try them when vanilla was added; (I was already addicted to milkshakes by another food chain) and 2) lactose intolerance had been building for years and one day about 6yrs ago, I had a milkshake from addictive food chain and got SOOO sick that I have not touched one since... from anywhere, Lol.  One day I got a call that said, 'Are you home, I'm leaving the mall - I bought you a pretzel'. ...Huh??? Just one of many unsolicited food purchases

I've had a talk with the food pusher about my healthier food decisions and so far have not had any unsolicited food suggestions or purchases.     

Good luck, Kee! I had to laugh at your description of moving in slow motion because that's just what those first few days felt like.

The food pusher sounds like a challenge but maybe this round you'll figure out some ways to deal with her/him. Sounds like it's your family member's way of showing love, so it's extra hard to say no. Maybe you could reroute some of their energy into cooking some things that are Whole30 compliant for you, like "I can't eat mac & cheese on my health plan but I'd love for you to call me the next time you make boiled shrimp/burgers on the grill/a Chipotle run and then you could bring some of your own sides. (In reality, this might not work because your person sounds like they're a - not into healthy food, and b - a selective listener). Just trying to think outside the box a little!

Good luck, Kees! I had to laugh at your description of moving in slow motion because that's just what those first few days felt like.

The food pusher sounds like a challenge but maybe this round you'll figure out some ways to deal with her/him. Sounds like it's your family member's way of showing love, so it's extra hard to say no. Maybe you could reroute some of their energy into cooking some things that are Whole30 compliant for you, like "I can't eat mac & cheese on my health plan but I'd love for you to call me the next time you make boiled shrimp/burgers on the grill/a Chipotle run and then you could bring some of your own sides. (In reality, this might not work because your person sounds like they're a - not into healthy food, and b - a selective listener). Just trying to think outside the box a little!

You're right on both counts!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Whole30 Fam!!!

I've been gone for a few days so let me catch you up....  My rollercoaster life continues, Lol  

On May 12th, ShannonM816 made me aware that my sweet peas were not compliant. Not a huge setback - I just started day 1 again on May 13th. 

May 15th - Girls Nite Out! I was prepared! We were going to a tapas restaurant and I reviewed the menu a few days before for several compliant choices along with a backup option or two.  My careful planning was derailed when we arrived at the restaurant and the person who organized our night informed the table that...due the the large size of our party the restaurant required a pre-set menu of eight tapas choices. Of the 8 items she chose only 1 was W30 compliant.  :(.  Well, let's be honest, I knew I would not eat veggie kabobs all night with all the other food floating around the table. Also in my 'well the plan is shot tonight' moment of weakness, I ordered a drink, then another....

One thing I can say about my most recent plunge off the W30 wagon is that the Hartwig's research is #DEADON!!!! Between Saturday May 16th and Wednesday May 20th - my ankle pain & swelling that had subsided greatly during by April W30 attempt, returned with a vengance!!!!  DurIng that 5 day stretch I ate fast food twice, limping at work because me ankle was still swollen; I decided that I would start me next Whole 30 on June 1st, after the Memorial Day weekend.  Also during this time, I was reading It Starts With Food and the realization that my ankle pain worsened after eating the food/drinks at the tapas restaurant and my fast foods binges hit me like a ton of bricks.   People - It REALLY DOES Start With Food!

As I rode the train home from work on May 20th - still reading ISWF, I realized there was no valid reason for me to wait until June 1st to re-start my Whole 30.  

So, I'm not going to wait... I am happy to say that I started my Whole 30 again...on May 21st.  No Slip-ups, no excuses...right     I'm also thinking, because I had so many setbacks and restarts (6 to be exact) that I may try to push myself to a Whole45.  I still refuse to give up on me  :)

Hey Everyone!!!       I've been off site for a few days but I am happy to say that I have stayed on track since my most recent restart on May 21st.  Today is Day 11 for me - Whoot Whoot!!  

Food prep has become easier.  I did experience the "Kill all the things" phase for a good 3-4 days... I know my coworkers were glad when that part was over. :) 

I'm still a little groggy in the mornings. I'm looking forward to the burst of morning energy (or at least being able to wake up without hitting snooze).  

Oh yeah, I have decided to make this my Whole45 instead of 30   

Man these green beans almost got me again!!  I bought a steamer pack of sugar snap peas (with no sauce) a few days ago.  As I read package tonight looking for the cooking directions, I glanced at the ingredients and they included...SUGAR!!!....so tossed to the back of the freezer they go.  I would like to thank broccoli for stepping up to the plate... hehehehe  

• 2 weeks later...

Day 30!

Hello everyone!  today is Day 30 and I DO NOT miss many of the foods I have removed from my diet.  I have had a craving for a good sub sandwich but I have not caved :D 

I am tempted to weigh & take measurements but I won't since I am doing a Whole45.  I know there have been some changes, because I have this grey maxi skirt that I love to wear...well....when I put it on last weekend.. It slid down to my hips, LOL.  I'm not a tall gal, so the waist of the skirt hitting my hips makes it too long to wear.  That makes me happy & sad.                  Happy: I know I am getting healthier                    Sad: I have to find another skirt-I really like that skirt, Lol

Archived