Do I start over? Ate Grilled Chicken Breast from Chili's

HELP. I am on Day 9 of 30, did I mess up? Should I start over OR what?

I ate at Chili's today. I ordered mixed greens (no dressing), avocado slices, and a plain grilled chicken breast. I don't know if they used any oil on the grill...wiped off the chicken before I ate it.

So what should I do?

I just read this in the Whole30 Dining Guide, "Don't sweat the small stuff if you did your best to make smart choices. Dining out should be fun and not stressful!". 

Thank you for any feed back. 

Wiping the chicken off doesn't really solve the problem because restaurants like this inject chicken with a solution to make it palatable. Usually chain restaurant grilled chicken has sugar and soy. Sometimes they also add dairy and wheat (I know! this seems crazy, but it is to make a poor quality meat product taste better).

Not sweating the small stuff works great post-whole30, but during the whole30 you want to have the benefits of an elimination diet to pinpoint intolerances. That requires a bit more rigor making sure you don't have any of the eliminated food for 30 days. Here is an article to help you decide if you want to restart. http://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/

MissMary,

I had already decided to start over even before leaving the restaurant. I was just wanting feedback from others and have received some eye opening responses! But the one response that was most important to me confirmed what I already was feeling!

I had made a commitment to myself and another very special person that I would follow WHole30 completely. If I don't start over, what does that say about me? What kind of role model would I be? How could I honestly help someone else on this program?

Thank you so very much MissMary for your response. 

If you look at their allergen information, you'll see that Chili's grilled chicken is free of soy, wheat, & peanuts. They don't have an allergen sheet that mentions sugar, however. If you need to go to Chili's in the future, it's worth discussing all this with the server. http://www.chilis.com/EN/LocationSpecificPDF/MenuPDF/001.005.0000/Chilis%20Allergen%20Generic.pdf

Tiva - the problem is that there are individual Chili's or any franchise operating differently within the big picture.  Servers have been known to tell you whatever you want to hear at any given time and may not know what's really going on back in the kitchen. Cooks/chefs have their own techniques that may slide into the cooking process.  It's a gamble.

• Administrators

Not eating out at all isn't a reasonable expectation for most people and for that reason we give folks the resources to ask the questions. Fast food restaurants or chain restaurants such as Chili's are going to be extremely hard to get a compliant meal. In many cases though if you can change the sort of restaurant that you go to where you have more of an original cooking in the kitchen (a mom and pop or a higher end restaurant with an actual chef, not a teenager trained to put components together in a certain order), you have a better chance of being able to request something that suits your needs.

Whole30 provides this Dining Out Guide to help folks make their dining out experience the best it can be within the framework of Whole30.

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-dining.pdf

I also recommend, once you find somewhere that has good food and is willing to work with you, tip generously and frequent them.

Archived