Day 11 and ready to quit

Really want to change myself but upon some things i'm set in my ways.  To much of what we can have I hate and some of it I just cant have IE shell fish.  I work 12+ hours a day and almost every days sees a business lunch where i eat a plain garden salad. At home I have just enough time to throw a chicken breast on the george forman and nuke a can of green beans. There is no time to cook and well I'm not a cook,  before this 90% of my meals where take out.  I'm at a loss, depressed, and hungry all the time.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have any time during the weekend or other day to prep a heap of things to have in hand? Cooked chicken, prepped veggies, hard boiled eggs, meatballs, mayo etc? That way you could have lunches ready to take with you and when you get in late there would be hardly any cooking needed...

My biggest problem is there is only a handful of veggies i do like, (corn, green beans, artichoke, celery, and broccoli), When I do make hard boiled eggs I only eat the white part as I cant stand the yoke. Fruit I love but we cant eat to much of it so its one orange or apple for breakfast and a hand full of raisins when i get back from my lunch.  All the great supper foods like kale, squash,  avocado, I cant stand at all.  I'm really trying just getting really frustrated.  

Have you tried oven roasted veg? Sweet potato, parsnip, carrot, white potato, turnip, beets - lathered in ghee or coconut oil & the spices of your choice (I like turmeric, ginger, garlic, coriander, & garam masala), & roasted in the oven.

If you've been brought up on water-boiled or tinned veg like a lot of folk you'll find it a taste sensation - and you can do an oven tray or two full that will last you all week, and make a change from a salad.

Also, making your own mayo with an immersion blender takes literally seconds and adds a bit of excitement to those salads you're growing so bored of. You can then make your own coleslaw too or use your mayo as a base for simple sauces.

Do you like tinned tomatoes? These can be used as a good base along with onion & garlic for mixing with green beans to give you a different taste/texture...

If you like mushrooms you can make a great soup when added to broccoli, onion & herbs & some stock.

Beetroot is another simple one to boil & add to salads for a kind of a sweet taste.

Lots of options for you - unfortunately corn isn't one of them...

Days 10/11 are the toughest days when most people give up - you're better than that.

Sounds like you might've jumped the gun a little bit on starting this program without some prep work in place. A bold move! :) It can work, definitely, but there might be some "scrambling" to adjust on the fly (as I think you're experiencing).

I hear ya on the 12h days --- I've done W30's while driving a truck in the oil fields of Wyoming, so I had to pack all my food with me. My best friends were the crock pot and tupperware-type containers.

Prep will be the key in your situation. You've got to make sure you cook extra food every single time you're in the kitchen. That chicken breast on the George Foreman? Make it 2, and have 2 more cooking while you eat the first one. And have 2 more cooking while you wash your plate (and use thighs instead, they're tastier ;)).

re: hard-boiled eggs, try cooking them a little less for a tastier yolk. I find a creamier yolk tastes better than a crumbly one.

re: not liking a whole lot of foods, that's ok! My current W30 I'm only eating 10 foods! Just pick the ones you like and stick with 'em. (and I know above you were just listing veggies at random, but do recall that corn isn't compliant).

Meatloaf can be as simple as ground beef + eggs + salt & pepper. Actually (culinary snobs look away!) a few days ago I put PICKLES in my meatloaf! I wanted some moisture and some chunky bits, and it turned out really well actually ... kinda like a hamburger in loaf form ;)

We don't want you to go hungry! Also, as part of Whole30, we ask that you expand your repertoire of foods and food preparation skills. I know, I know. It's a lot to ask, when your daily routine has been built around other people making random food-like products for you and you eat them whenever you have five seconds to sorta chew and swallow.

Could you post a couple of days' worth of your typical meals here? We can give you feedback on what you're eating that you could eat more of, what you could easily add to that to keep you satisfied, and what you could add to your cooking repertoire without cutting into valuable sleep time or burning down your house (because let's face it, if you burn down your house you won't be able to improve your cooking skills :lol: ).

Consider also your original reasons for wanting to do a Whole30. Could beefing up the size and content of your meals, and expanding your food preparation skills even a teeny bit, help you reach those goals? If so, I'd say it's worth keeping on.

Your list of veggies includes an off-plan grain: corn. Banish it from the island for the duration!

Ask yourself to try things you have always thought you didn't like. If you don't like them a certain way, fix them some other way (most vegetables are REALLY good roasted, and roasting sounds sophisticated but is easier than brushing your teeth).

Shane - cooking is not your thing and your days are long.   You're probably worn out by the time you get home.   Start thinking of your home as a tent and your fridge as a cooler.  There is a Whole 30 section for camping.  You can do a Whole 30 with portable proteins and still eat healthy with other good food choices.   Eventually, you may start cooking.  Turn your down cycle on its head and work within your cooking limitations.

What’s in the Whole9 Cooler Protein

• Deli turkey/chicken/roast beef.  Look for certain Applegate Farms versions, where the only ingredients are organic meat, water and salt.
  • Albacore tuna.  Whole Foods brand contains only tuna and water – no soy!
  • Hard boiled eggs.  We always have a dozen of these on hand.
  • Smoked salmon.  Wild-caught Alaskan (never farm raised), unseasoned.
  • Your local market’s brand of pre-cooked “simple” chicken breast or salmon, where the only ingredients are chicken/salmon, salt and pepper.
  • Jerky. Primal Pacs makes the only Whole30-approved jerky snacks. Buy the whole snack kit, or just the protein.

Vegetables

• Carrots
  • Celery
  • Cucumber
  • Sugar snap peas and snow peas
  • Pepper slices (red, green, yellow and orange)
  • Tomatoes (usually the small grape variety)
  • Sprouts (sunflower, alfalfa, radish, broccoli, sweet pea shoots)
  • Baby spinach, arugula or other leafy green (for on-the-road salads)
  • Jicama  (peel, slice into thin strips and munch)
  • Kale chips – we like Kaia Foods. Again, read your ingredients.
  • Sea Snax (or some other form of seaweed snack). Read your ingredients – no soy!
  • Fresh salsa.  Whole Foods and other stores sell fresh salsa with 100% approved ingredients.
  • Canned sweet potato, pumpkin or butternut squash (where the only ingredient is the vegetable)
  • Baby food! Sweet potato, butternut squash or other vegetable varieties (where the only ingredient is the vegetable) – perfect for post-workout

Fruit

• Whatever is fresh, local, in-season and not too expensive
  • Unsweetened applesauce (we like Santa Cruz Organic brand, or make your own)
  •  

Fat

• Olives.  Lindsay Naturals in the can, where the only ingredients are olives, water and sea salt.
  • EVOO (extra virgin olive oil).  We bring a bottle everywhere, and pour over veggies, salads, meat, whatever.
  • Avocado
  • Fresh guacamole.  Whole Foods and other stores sell fresh guac with 100% approved ingredients.
  • Coconut milk (full fat, in the can)
  • Shredded coconut, unsweetened.
  • Coconut butter (sometimes called “creamed coconut”)
  • Macadamia or hazelnuts
  • Other nuts and seeds (to be eaten in moderation)
  • Sunbutter or other nut butters (to be eaten in moderation)
  • Stronger Faster Healthier fish oil (use the code “Whole9″ to save 10%)

Herbs/Spices

• Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice (for sweet potato, pumpkin, etc.)
  • Salt, pepper
  • Fresh chopped basil and cilantro

Kitchen Tools

• Sharp paring knife
  • Flexible cutting board
  • Can opener
  • Portable silverware and dishes
  • One glass container, for microwaving on the go

Tips, tricks and adding variety to your Road Trip Food

• Protein is going to be the hardest to get in good amounts.  Plan ahead and stock up – cook chicken or salmon the night before you travel, boil a dozen eggs, find deli meat and tuna packets that meet criteria.
  • Smoked salmon is often overlooked, but the wild caught stuff is a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids and protein.  Slice, roll around chunks of honeydew melon or mango, secure with a toothpick and go.
  • Fruit is way too easy to overdo when traveling, so swap some of that fruit for portable vegetable sources.  The flexible cutting board, sharp knife and plastic silverware help you branch out from just carrots and celery.
  • Fresh salsa and guacamole are life-savers.  Roll deli turkey around pepper slices, secure with toothpick and top with salsa and guac – delicious and totally portable.
  • Frozen root veggies may also be a good idea, especially if you’re training on the go.  Sweet potato and squash varieties from the can or jar are just as good hot or cold.
  • Nuts are also easy to crack out on when traveling.  Try olives instead!  They’re portable, don’t need refrigeration and you can eat an awful lot for the same amount of fat as an ounce of nuts.
  • Spices and herbs are an easy way to add flavor and variety to your meals, and don’t take up a lot of room in your bag/cooler.

breakfast orange or apple,

lunch side or garden salad with small box of raises

dinner 6oz chicken breast, or center cut pork chop, can of green beans, or artichoke if i can find it 

dinner 6oz chicken breast, or center cut pork chop, can of green beans, or artichoke if i can find it 

Shane...Ooooooo Shane.   That makes me  sad.   That's about  500 calories aday.   Aren't you hungry? 

Jeez.

Ok, first off you need to stop thinking of breakfast in the traditional sense & start thinking of  it as meal one - your dinner is closer to what each meal should look like (although it'ssmall & missing some fat!) so I'd definitely start with kirkors suggestion of doubling up on the George Foreman so you have something prepared for the mornings.

That would be a much better start to the day for you than fruit which is gonna send your blood sugar rocketing and leave you hungry a half hour later.

Would you eat tinned tuna/salmon/mackerel/sardines? You could add a couple of tins of any of these to that salad for an improvement - all affordable, easy to find, and no cooking required....

Do you like olives?

Yes I'm always hungry, going to try some of the things you have all said, biggest problem i have had when buy can food is they always have some thing else that we can have. Was going to try a do a beef and broccoli last night but out of all the stores around me I could not find coconut aminos any where, guess I will have to order some stuff from amazon 

love tuna and olives. used to really love the olive bar at haris teeter but not sure if I can eat there any more :(

Well, that's a good start - you could get tuna in evo oil for a good protein & fat source.... and olives will make any dish more interesting.

re: Haris Teeter, dare I ask why....?  :o  :wacko:  :P

OK, so, I'm hungry from reading that and I'm not even trying to get through my day on that teeny amount of food! You're gonna have to seriously bulk up your eating.

First off, you need to understand how we build meals in Whole30land. Here goes:

1. 1-2 palm-size portions of protein - that's the length, width, and depth of your palm

2. 1-2 or more thumb-size servings of fat

3. 1-3 cups of veggies

Eat that three times a day, the first time within an hour of waking.

So here are some suggestions to get you started, based on what you describe having/eating/liking right now, and what you are not afraid of in your kitchen at this exact moment in time:

Meal One (the meal formerly known as breakfast): a chicken breast the length, width, and thickness of your palm - no wait, make it two of those. 1-3 cups of roasted broccoli (you roasted it last night, cutting it up and putting it on a roasting pan - oh, go buy one!! - and putting it in the over at 400 degrees for however long it takes to carmelize - get yummy brown bits on the outside). A handful of olives. No, wait, make it two. You're hungry. Save the fruit for later, it'll make you hangry if you eat it first thing.

Meal Two: eat your salad, make it a monster size one, double order if you need to. Sneak a can (or two, you're hungry) of compliant tuna out of your backpack and add it to the salad. Sneak a small bottle of olive oil and vinegar out of your backpack and dress the salad. If you're hungry, eat more of all of that.

Meal Three: Since you're so hungry, and you've been underfeeding yourself, another two chicken breasts, at least two cans of green beans (oh come on. I can scarf down a can of beans in five seconds and I weigh like three pounds and am super extra tiny. You can probably eat five cans if you're hungry. Eat up.). Add more olives to your meal. And then some more... yes! Now you got it.

Dude, you just for real and for freakin' serious need to EAT!!! I have no clue how you are even conscious at this point. Eat like five times what you've been eating for several days. It's gonna take some time to actually feed yourself enough food so that your mood and mental focus will improve. (At that point, but not before, go YouTube knife skills and get to it.)

There's nothing here that can't be fixed by eating mass quantities of food. If you're scared of variety right now, fine! Aim for quantity!! Feed yourself, empower yourself, and keep your money from the fast food joints to use on really good olives. Fight the power! (And eat up.)

Thank you all for the help. I am sure to follow everything you have all said and see how I fell at the end of next week. as for my having no time my friend lent me his slow cooker and told me about a paleo chicken Adobo that sounds good and i can make a ton at one time.

Regarding hard boiled eggs--don't boil them--STEAM them! Get yourself a metal veggie steamer basket and use either a 2-3 quart pot or a 12 inch skillet and put about an inch of water in the bottom. Bring it to a boil and plop the steamer in the pan/pot. Then fill the basket with eggs--I can get about 8 in the pot and 12-15 eggs in the skillet. clap the lid on and set the timer for 9 minutes. At the end of the 9 minutes, either rinse, rinse, rinse under cold running water (good) or put in a bowl of ice water (best) and then let them chill till cold. Pop in the fridge and you are good to go. The white is cooked all the way and the yolk is nice and creamy, sometimes runny in the very very center. My husband likes these best and he can't eat the regular boiled eggs anymore. so good! I also pack a salt, garlic powder and pepper cup for him to dip his eggs in (he is a trucker and has 12 hour days too, so I can relate to packing his meals for him.) 

I'm on Day 8 and struggling a little--probably because it was the weekend. Craved chocolate badly yesterday, and just questioning whether I can do this. After reading this post and all of the support, I feel better and more confident that I can do this. Thank you :)

Upping your protein & fat content of each meal is the best way to curb the cravings, and when they come try to use a distraction technique - go for a walk, run a bath, have a glass of water - the craving will be short lived, and the longer you go without that chocolate the fewer cravings you will have...

I'm on Day 8 and struggling a little--probably because it was the weekend. Craved chocolate badly yesterday, and just questioning whether I can do this. After reading this post and all of the support, I feel better and more confident that I can do this. Thank you :)

It's so important to keep breaking these sugar/snacking cycles. 

Everytime you want to go for the former...get yourself some protein and a good fat (nuts are not to be used as the primary fat source)....get protein and a fat (not nuts)...PRONTO.   Do that every single time and you will break the cycle of cravings which are artificial hunger.

The Whole 30 also suggests a vegetable but I know that for the sake of convenience, individuals tend to go for the nuts and dried fruits.  Proteins...having a compliant jerky on hand trumps other snacks of nuts/dried fruits/nut butters.  You can eat an avocado on the fly.

Archived