Day 11 and ready to quit

• Administrators

What do you eat when you go to fast food restaurants? I'm guessing more than just plain chicken breast and green beans?? So you probably do like more than you think you do, you just haven't found the taste and flavour combination that you like.  Remember that fast food is highly flavourful and drenched in fat (the bad stuff though).  Get friendly with some seasonings, some cooking fat, some homemade mayo, some guacamole and a zillion meaty olives.  

Related Anecdote:Just this very weekend I roasted two cookie sheets of veggies (baby potato, carrot, onion, green beans, brocoli, peppers at 435F for 25-30 minutes).  My dad and his wife are visiting.  Dad's wife said "Oh, he will NOT eat that, do you have any canned beans you can heat up?".  Ha. No.  No canned beans.  I served the roasted veggies and he ate three servings.  THREE SERVINGS from the guy who will only eat canned "pork n beans" apparently.  LOL.  I would challenge anyone to come to my house and turn down a perfectly grilled burger (use 2-3 pounds of meat, salt, pepper, garlic powder and grill 8-10 at one time) on a crisp bed of lettuce topped with mustard & homemade mayo, coarse salt and pepper with a side of caramelized roasted veggies.  

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you eat when you go to fast food restaurants? I'm guessing more than just plain chicken breast and green beans?? So you probably do like more than you think you do, you just haven't found the taste and flavour combination that you like.  Remember that fast food is highly flavourful and drenched in fat (the bad stuff though).  Get friendly with some seasonings, some cooking fat, some homemade mayo, some guacamole and a zillion meaty olives.  

Related Anecdote:Just this very weekend I roasted two cookie sheets of veggies (baby potato, carrot, onion, green beans, brocoli, peppers at 435F for 25-30 minutes).  My dad and his wife are visiting.  Dad's wife said "Oh, he will NOT eat that, do you have any canned beans you can heat up?".  Ha. No.  No canned beans.  I served the roasted veggies and he ate three servings.  THREE SERVINGS from the guy who will only eat canned "pork n beans" apparently.  LOL.  I would challenge anyone to come to my house and turn down a perfectly grilled burger (use 2-3 pounds of meat, salt, pepper, garlic powder and grill 8-10 at one time) on a crisp bed of lettuce topped with mustard & homemade mayo, coarse salt and pepper with a side of caramelized roasted veggies.  

I am on my way over to accept that challenge right now. Bringing my own fork.

Shane, if you're seriously kitchen illiterate (I was pretty bad like, 6 weeks ago), start small. Go make this mayo:

Do it right now! Investing in a hand-held immersion blender started the transformation for me, and life will never be the same. I'm seriously becoming a spice wizard. I even made chili today that was freaking fantastic... without a recipe! 

Lol. Keep it up, keep with it, and eat, eat, eat! You've got an awesome cheering section.  :D

thank you for all the help, I spent most of last night cooking hehe huge porter house, 4 chicken breast, 12 eggs, and 3 pork chops. Porter house i cut in to 4 days for salad topper, and today it was so good, breakfast was 3 eggs scrambled with home made slaw(was easy with the ninja) dinner reheated chicken with mixed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower and squash) was ok but need to work on squash did not like it.

thank you for all the help, I spent most of last night cooking hehe huge porter house, 4 chicken breast, 12 eggs, and 3 pork chops. Porter house i cut in to 4 days for salad topper carrot.gif, and today it was so good  , breakfast was 3 eggs scrambled with home made slaw(was easy with the ninja) dinner reheated chicken with mixed veggies (broccoli,    broc.gifcauliflower and squash) was ok but need to work on squash did not like it.

Bravo, Shane!!!

thank you for all the help, I spent most of last night cooking hehe huge porter house, 4 chicken breast, 12 eggs, and 3 pork chops. Porter house i cut in to 4 days for salad topper, and today it was so good, breakfast was 3 eggs scrambled with home made slaw(was easy with the ninja) dinner reheated chicken with mixed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower and squash) was ok but need to work on squash did not like it.

HOORAY!!!

I'm sorry you are struggling. I am on day 24 and was also a non-cook and ate most of my meals on the go. I feel like I just spooned it in and stopped tasting food. I also have a limited palate and have told myself that I will try a few new things in the process and see what I think. One was sweet potatoes. I have never liked them (never really ate them to be honest but hated the texture and smell). I even have a "famous" (with family and friends) Sweet potato casserole recipe that I make every year for Thanksgiving but never have even tried (LOL). Anyway, it's amazing how good they are with coconut oil and some spices. Better than fries (and I like fries). The thing that has saved me a lot were 2 things:

1. coconut oil (really flavors well and cooks things nicely)

2. Nuwave oven. I am always running around and I can put a burger, some sweet potato slices and even veggies in it and set the timer and then go get ready for work. Makes the prep time so much less and cooks really well and fast.

I also find that keeping the spices I use out on the stove makes things easier as well as a cutting board at the ready. It is difficult some times and I have found in a pinch applesauce pouches and nuts to be very helpful. Good luck. You can do this. You are worth it.

Thank you all for the help. I am sure to follow everything you have all said and see how I fell at the end of next week. as for my having no time my friend lent me his slow cooker and told me about a paleo chicken Adobo that sounds good and i can make a ton at one time.

I just want to second what everyone is saying here. Hang in there, and batch cook like crazy. I started my W30 thinking I was ready - but all I'd done was buy compliant stuff. I quickly learned that not having cooked meat & starchy veg *already* in the fridge made my whole day crazy because of how much prep was needed for every single meal.

I'm so glad to hear you've got the slow cooker. Now you can just chuck a whack of chicken breasts in there before you leave for work, along with some salt/pepper/celerysalt/onion&garlic powder and BAM! chicken for the whole week when you want it.

There is a crazy-huge amount of resources on this forum (meaning recipes and tips), as well as tons of the best support from experienced Whole-30 veterans.

Keep us updated, you will rock this.

-Espie

• Administrators

NICE JOB!!!!!!  I'm so happy to see this post this morning!

If you were using a winter squash like butternut, one of the best ways is to cube it up, toss it in some fat, S&P, garlic powder and paprika and roast it at 435 for about 20-25 minutes or until it's all golden and caramelly.  Crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside.

This? ROCKS!

• Administrators

I'd never cooked with fresh ginger before and, wow, that stuff is fantastic!

WHAT?  Really??   :o

Tip 1, get a microplane if you don't already have one.  Tip 2, freeze the ginger.  Tip 3, don't worry about peeling it.

Yes feed yourself properly !! If you like an Italian twist you can sub any meat but chicken cacciatore is a one crock pot,roasting pan or larger. Easy peasy try new things !! Add or subtract any of the veg

If you want to take the time brown 5lbs chicken

in olive oil add (drained) jar green olives onions fresh herbs add peppers mushrooms green beans whole tomatoes garlic spices salt pepper add I cup chicken stock Roast 375 until

Tender big one dish wonder enjoy!

I'm feeling much better now, More awake, dont get tired, still miss pizza like crazy but I can do with out, I have set a hour a day to my self to try to cook something new and give it a try.  Made my own pasta type sauce, going to try and use it with homemade meet balls and peppers.

One thing I notice I use to get the shakes really bad when I started this. think it might be cause I dropped coffee, soda, and energy drinks, and now all I drink is water. 

• Administrators

The shakes were more than likely because you weren't eating enough. Have you noticed that they've decreased or gone away in the last couple of days?

I'm very impressed by your fortitude for understanding your own limitations and then choosing to push your boundaries a little bit at a time to come to a new place and teach yourself new things.  Keep updating us, I think we're all smitten with your journey!  :)

I'm feeling much better now, More awake, dont get tired, still miss pizza like crazy but I can do with out, I have set a hour a day to my self to try to cook something new and give it a try.  Made my own pasta type sauce, going to try and use it with homemade meet balls and peppers.

One thing I notice I use to get the shakes really bad when I started this. think it might be cause I dropped coffee, soda, and energy drinks, and now all I drink is water. 

I am totally impressed by how you went from considering quitting to managing your own destiny! Yours is a great story, and I am enjoying the reveal of all your fortitude and hidden kitchen skills! :-) Have a great day, Shane!

Archived