First Grocery Store Trip - UGH!!

I live in a small town and I couldn't find anything!  I just kept reading label after label, getting madder and madder.  I had all these great ideas for meals.  Just found the additives cheat sheet.  Will take it with me next time I go!

Hi there Amanda!!!!!! Nice to see you on here! :wub:

I remember being absolutely shocked that 90% of what was available to me in my local grocery store didn't really count as actual food from a Whole30 perspective. It is so offensive that this is how we as consumers are treated!

As long as you stick to vegetables, meat, and fats, and then combine them with your favorite spices, you'll be able to do this. Specialty items may have to be ordered, but you can totally do this very simply.

Welcome!!! :D

Hi Amy!!

Yes.  I know.  I can do this.  I've got chicken and pork chops going in the kitchen right now.  I couldn't find ghee.  Where in the store should I look?  I finally found tuna after what felt like forever.  I couldn't find any lunch meat and I'm not really sure about the sausage that I bought.  There are a few additives that aren't on the allowed or prohibited cheat sheet. 

You can make your own ghee or clarified butter from the best unsalted quality butter (ideally, grass-fed), that you can get. http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2010/03/how-to-clarify-butter-recipe/

Compliant lunch meat and sausage are tricky to find. Better to cook a roast or chicken yourself and slice up your meat from there. Many folks make their own compliant sausage patties from ground meat

Hi Amy!!

Yes.  I know.  I can do this.  I've got chicken and pork chops going in the kitchen right now.  I couldn't find ghee.  Where in the store should I look?  I finally found tuna after what felt like forever.  I couldn't find any lunch meat and I'm not really sure about the sausage that I bought.  There are a few additives that aren't on the allowed or prohibited cheat sheet. 

I can only find ghee at the local health food store. You can also order it from amazon.

Compliant tuna is obnoxiously difficult to find at my local grocery store, so good on you for finding some!

Deli meats are almost certainly and almost universally non-compliant. I have to say that I have given up on them as a source of protein or convenience. This seems true worldwide, based on what Whole30ers report here on the forums.

Sausage may have sneaky sugars (look for words like dextrose or maltodextrin or caramel color, for instance), sneaky soy (I know!), and maybe msg. If there are some ingredients you're not sure about, just post them here and we can weigh in.

By the way, Whole30ers who like sausage often make their own quick sausage right in the skillet - obviously no casing, but beef or pork and sausage spices - then you know what is in it.

ETA: Chris and I were writing at the same time - great minds! :wub:

Thanks so much, ladies.  Ya'll must have the patience of saints :)

It is smoked sausage, not breakfast sausage.  The ingredients are sodium lactate, sodium diacetate, and sodium erythorbate. 

Those ingredients should be fine. (If someone more knowledgeable than I am comes along and says no, I'll learn something too.)

Um, you may want to read this post on sodium erythorbate from today. Looks like it's another sneaky sugar ...

Archived