Thickeners

slpowers

Potato starch is ok.  So is Tapioca starch.  So is arrowroot powder/flour.

Instant potato flakes - I honestly don't know.  You would have to check the ingredients list to be sure.  Instant potato flakes is probably one that I would personally stay away from.  I could always boil a potato and mash it into whatever I am trying to thicken and it would work just as well.  

• Administrators

I find that potato starch as a thickener makes the food oddly gooey.  I've found that arrowroot gives the closest result to corn starch and that, as mentioned above, blending potato (or steamed cauliflower) into whatever it is comes the closest to thickening with flour.  

If you are cooking a roast for example, throw extra onion, carrot, potato or cauliflower in with the meat. When the meat is done, blend the soft veggies into the meat drippings for absolutely amazing gravy!

Thanks for the feedback ladies!  In my pre-W30 days, I have used potato flakes in some things - ie some soups, meat pie, etc) and never experienced potato blobs in the final product.  What I have on hand came from the bulk store so can't check the ingredient at the moment so will avoid.  

ladyshanny - the soft veg blended into gravy sounds amazing!  Thanks again! 

When using arrowroot to thicken, just be sure not to boil too high or too long or else the arrowroot breaks down and loses its thickening ability. It's usually best to addd toward the end of cooking and then simmer for a few minutes to take care of any raw flavor that might be there.

And a total non-issue during Whole30, but arrowroot plus dairy equals a slimy mess. So post-Whole30, if you add back dairy, just keep it mind that it does NOT play nice with arrowroot.

Archived