2nd Whole30. Doing it for me this time.

kimberlyxo

Day 16

Got back into my normal routine of getting up at 6 and taking the dog for a walk. He loved it and was super tired when we got home. Lucky guy gets to sleep all day lol

I was much more productive, got all the things done I had planned and then left for my PT appointment. I was injured about 5 years ago during a coed softball game. I was catching and there was a play at the plate where a guy slid into me cleats up and slammed into my right shin. My leg hasn't been the same since. There is scar tissue and lymphedema. I go to PT to have her work on the scar tissue, get a lymphatic massage and have her measure the size of my legs. Within this past week, she said I lost a liter of fluid in both legs which means I am definitely losing weight and this Whole30 is working its magic. My leg and foot used to swell up sooo bad I would have pitting 1/2 an inch deep in my foot. The fluid just pooled there because it had no way to get out. As I switched up my diet to Paleo and did a Whole30 last spring, I noticed a huge difference in the swelling of my leg. By cutting out all the processed and high sodium foods, I was helping my leg without even knowing it. Even though losing that much fluids will most likely have made me lost weight, I look at this as a non scale victory for sure. I also wear lovely compression stockings almost everyday. They are just great lol

Meal 1 - Applegate hotdog and chicken sausage with broccoli, green beans and garlic roasted potatoes. All drizzled with homemade ranch. 

Meal 2 - Crispy baked chicken thighs, garlic roasted potatoes, green beans and broccoli with ranch

Meal 3 - Not sure yet but I have left over chicken sausages, chicken thighs and lots of veggies. Maybe ill make a hash out of everything? 

Softball game at 6 tonight. 

I bought a whole chicken over the weekend. I keep looking for crockpot ideas to cook this thing over night. Any suggestions for recipes?

Overall, I am feeling much better than yesterday... yesterday was rough...  I didn't resort to eating bad food though, which is what I would have typically done. My fiance was going back to work after his lunch break and said "Don't do anything to ruin your Whole30"  :)  He cares that I finish this and don't quit, and that makes me happy

-Kim

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW! The improvement in your leg is amazing! Just that alone makes this worth it! The losing weigh thing is also awesome :)

Its such a huge reason to continue eating this way and continuing with this lifestyle. I notice the days when I eat high salt/processed foods by looking at the swelling in my leg the next day. Its crazy how our bodies respond to the foods we eat! 

Day 17

I messed up my shoulder pretty bad at my softball game last night. I slid into third, right under the tag and was called safe, but definitely hurt my shoulder in the process. Ugh....

Meal 1 - Chicken thighs, sweet potatoes and 1/2 of a roasted acorn squash seasoned with cinnamon, salt and coconut butter! My favorite way to prepare acorn squash everr

Meal 2 - Applegate hotdog, chicken sausage, sweet potatoes and red grapes

Softball game at 8pm ... ugh

Meal 3 - Crockpot chicken and whatever veggie I decide to make when I get home.

Drinks are water, 1 iced coffee, plain seltzer, water and more water and a La Croix water

The best time of year is summer when coconut oil is a liquid and pours right out of the jar! Love it!

I had a spoon of coconut butter last night and had some stomach pain immediately. But then I didnt have any pain when I ate it with the squash... So that's something to experiment with...

Feeling pretty good overall. I am noticing some changes in my body... My face seems thinner, my pants are fitting a little bit better and of course the swelling in my leg has gotten so much better too.

I know I am sleeping through the night even with the humidity we've been having  :)

Time to get some ice on my shoulder!  <_<

-Kim

Day 18

I am super tired today. Got home very late from my softball game and didnt get my normal amount of sleep.

I honestly feel like I have a hang over... and I'm not even drinking. Its so weird...I should probably drink lots of water 

Meal 1 - Pulled chicken, broccoli and homemade ranch drizzled on top

Meal 2 - 2 chicken sausages with broccoli and pistachios on the side

Meal 3 - More pulled chicken, sweet potatoes and grilled peppers

Is it just me, or does eating chicken from a whole chicken freak anyone else out? I get that when I eat chicken breast or thighs it did come from the whole chicken at one point, but just holding an entire chicken in my hands felt strange and I feel weird eating it... idk lol maybe its just me  :)

I'm going to a food truck festival tomorrow.. I looked up the vendors and didn't see any Paleo trucks or any trucks that would have compliant food. I will be that weird person paying to get into the festival and then not eating anything lol whateverrr

-Kim

Day 19 and 20

Yesterday I was not following the meal templates at all. I ended up eating way too much fruit and not enough veggies and protein. I went to a food truck festival and the only thing I could eat was an almond milk smoothie with strawberries and bananas. I know, no smoothies on Whole30. It was a bad day...

Today went better. I feel really good and have zero cravings. I wanted something quick and easy last night for dinner instead of having to cook... I need more convenient foods I guess

Meal 1 - Lara bar and broccoli... not my best

Meal 2 - 2 chicken sausages, broccoli, red pepper and guacamole

Meal 3 - Stuffed peppers. Grass fed beef, onions, garlic and compliant tomato sauce, baked in a green pepper

Today is supposed to be meal prep day. I have zero ambition to meal prep anything right now... But I don't really have a choice...

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks... I have gotten to the 3 week mark in a whole30 before and completed 1 full round. This round I followed the meal template pretty much in point everyday. I am definitely feeling better than ever. I just need some motivation to get me through meal prep today... or some amazing recipes... here goes nothing....

-Kim

Day 21

I cannot believe its been three weeks already! I am living my normal life and eating healthy at the same time... I didn't think I could do this again, but I am  :)

My cousin had said something to me last week before the Food Truck festival that really resonated with me. In response to me saying I wasn't drinking he said "That's your choice, but this day won't happen again"  He's right, that day won't happen again... but if I quit on day 19, I would feel so bad and guilty just for one day of playing drinking games. I have had hundreds of days like that with my family and I will have many more. Its okay if I miss out on just one. 

My Thursday night softball team is sponsored by a bar. We go there after every game. I haven't drank there for 3 weeks. It takes alot of willpower to say no. Its gotten to the point that when I walk in, the bartender has a soda water with lime ready for me!  :D

I've thought about continuing on with this Whole30 for a Whole60 or whatever. I feel like I will have a good enough hold on my cravings and habits to just stick to 30 days. This decision is mostly so I can have a glass of bourbon next week after softball lol but thats my choice. I am not deciding to reintroduce dairy or grains or sugar because I know the impact those foods have on my body. I just want to have a damn drink lol

My coworker is on vacation this week so it should definitely fly by for me, I hope!

Meal 1 - Homemade Breakfast sausages (LOVE!) with sweet potato and zucchini cakes. (i dont know what else to call them) 

Meal 2 - Large stuffed pepper (gf ground beef, onions, garlic, compliant tomato sauce inside a green pepper) and a couple sweet potato zucchini cakes. I also brought a green apple and a packet of almond butter. I may or may not eat this, but I have it in case I want it. 

Snack - If my game is still on, I know I'll get hungry (game is at 7:15) so I brought a few extra sausages to hold me over until I get home.

Meal 3 - Not sure yet. I have left over stuffed peppers and sausages. I might make chicken thighs... who knows. 

Hopefully my game is canceled! No one likes playing softball in 50 degree weather in the rain!

Oooo my friend is brewing her own kombucha! Her mother scoby had a baby and I think she is passing it off to me!!! I cannot even wait! I hope it lives lol

-Kim

Day 22

Yesterday work was insanely busy, but it made the day fly by!

I ate lunch with a friend who also eats Paleo and has completed a Whole30. She is super supportive and always has great suggestions and advice. 

Meal 1 - Pulled chicken, zucchini and sweet potato latkes and roasted potatoes with ranch dressing

Meal 2 - Breakfast sausages, zucchini and sweet potato latke, swiss chard sauteed with garlic and onion and a kombucha 

Meal 3 - Stuffed pepper and roasted potatoes

Day 23

I am starting to feel like I am eating food to fuel my body. I haven't been snacking and haven't been eating as much fruit as I was in the beginning. I'll have a green apple with almond butter at dinner time, but thats about it. I'm getting nervous about next week. I know I'll be having drinks after softball the day after my Whole30, but I don't want to fall back into old habits. I am feeling better than ever... pants that didnt fit me two months ago, now fit. I haven't had any seasonal allergies since week 1... I'm not bloated or having stomach pain like before..... idk... we'll see what happens

I sliced my damn finger peeling an apple last night. Thats what I get for peeling an apple and trying to watch the new season of Pretty Little Liars at the same time  :( I ended up dropping the apple in the trash when I cut myself... Luckily I had more in the fridge lol

Meal 1 - Pulled chicken, broccoli and ranch

Meal 2 - Pulled chicken, sausages, broccoli and ranch

Meal 3 - I saw this recipe for guac stuffed chicken.... I'll definitely be making that with grilled asparagus

-Kim

You're doing good! The idea of reintro is so scary! How do you know how slow to take it, and what to try? I get nervous just thinking about it!

Thank you! I know dairy and grains effect me and bring back my allergies... I think food choices will just need to be more deliberate and not on a whim while watching TV. A special night out with Zach or a special cupcake on my birthday :D

OHHH you should check out the Instagram pictures im uploading later. Chicken Shwarma skewered and grilled!! I couldn't stop smiling the entire meal because it was so good and I made it!

Day 24

This really is becoming more of a lifestyle then a temporary program. I bought plantain chips today for a recipe I'm planning. I opened the bag and only had 5. It was weird that I was able to stop myself from eating the whole thing before getting back to work. I see that as a NSV for sure

I also traveled back to work with pecans, sliced almonds and raw cashews. Generally I would have sampled each out, just to see if they were okay lol

They all stayed closed. 

This program does weird things to my brain, and I love it

Meal 1 - Chicken Shawarma kabobs with peppers, onions and tomatoes with roasted potatoes drizzled with homemade ranch

Meal 2 - Because it was so good... same as the first meal lol

Meal 3 - Guacamole stuffed chicken (!!!!) with grilled asparagus or cauliflower rice

I ran down the Trader Joes on my lunch break to by 100 bags of frozen cauli rice. I only bought 3... but I wanted to by all of them

Cant wait to create something with that!! 

Softball at 7 tonight. I have a Lara Bar if needed. But I am normally fine until I get home. Thats what eating completely satiating meals does 

-Kim

Day 25

Dealing with a bunch of personal stuff that would normally send me face first into a bucket of cheese balls. Luckily, the Whole30 has taught me better habits that are controlling my nutrition situation. 

Meal 1 - Chicken stuffed with guac and roasted potatoes

Iced coffee

Meal 2 - Chicken stuff with guac, a green pepper, and more guac

Meal 3 - Not sure yet. I have a bunch of chicken thighs at home. When I feel down, I like to cook Nom Nom Paleo's cracklin chicken because its delicious. Grilled asparagus or potatoes or something too

Minus my relationship tanking, I feel pretty good. I am sleeping very well each night. I don't have cravings like I used to and don't immediately want chocolate after I eat dinner. I've said this before, but this is starting to feel like normal every day life, not a "program". I love the structure of the Whole30 or the 21 Day Sugar Detox, but I need to adapt that into my normal routine and habits. 

Its a good thing I love cooking lol 

-Kim

Hey! Can I ask where you got the recipe for the buffalo chicken nuggets? Sounds delicious and I love anything with "buffalo" before it haha!

They are soooo goood! Just search the website below for Paleo Chicken Nuggets

www.mynaturalfamily.com

I hope your relationship is okay! ( I hope the whole30 isn't causing it)

and I'm INSANELY jealous of the cauliflower rice being sold in Trader Joe's!!!! no TJ near me at all :(

Thank you. Its really not okay, I've been dealing with a verbally abusive person for the past 7 years. Honestly, losing weight by help of Paleo and Whole30 has made me realize that I am better than what I am dealing with at home. And if I do make the decision to leave, there are plenty of guys out there that would make me happy and treat me right. It just took a while for me to get this self confidence and have faith in myself.

I could mail you some! haha I really don't know how that works... 

Day 26

Yesterday was tough.... I wanted to eat everything. Mainly because I was bored. I know I ate too many nuts in the form of cashews and almond butter. We went to my friends house for dinner and movies and to play with the kids. Zach and I are the godparents to their oldest son Bentley who turned 4 in March. And Mason, their little guy, is about 18 months. I love hanging out with them, we've been friends for about 7 years. They are the ones that introduced me to Zach <33

Anyways, there is always chips, candy, cheese curls etc for snacks around their house. And for dinner, we always order from the same pizza place. I have to say, out of all the days in this Whole30, that was the toughest. I brought my own food and avoided snacks by eating an apple. We played outside with the kids for a while which was a nice distraction from their snacks and I made sure I brought seltzer and lots of water.

Meal 1 - Cracklin chicken with caulirice

Meal 2 - a few slices of compliant prosciutto and roasted potatoes. So lame.... and an apple with almond butter.

I snacked on cashews in the afternoon... which I never do... but I was apparently bored... those are the habits I thought I got out of during this Whole30

Meal 3 - Cracklin chicken, roasted potatoes and asparagus. Another apple with almond butter.

I ate more fruit than normal. I tend to stick to one piece of fruit per day.... but the apple was there so I didn't eat chips and candy. So I see that as a win.

Day 27

I say this all the time but I cannot believe this is almost over. I have absolutely kicked this Whole30's butt. I am loving the program and the food and have tried new recipes to keep me interested in my meals.

Meal 1 - Bulletproof coffee. Made with ghee, coconut oil and a little cinnamon. Not sure if I'll make it again but I had to try it. I actually didn't eat anything else... its 12:35 now and im going to eat lunch. I honestly wasn't hungry at all.

Meal 2 - The last of my crackling chicken :( with a green pepper and guac. I don't feel like cooking anything right now, so I'll settle on a raw pepper for my veggie.

Meal 3 - I took out a bunch of meat from the freezer and bought the Trader Joes caulirice and fire roasted veggies. Ill see what I can come up with.

Soooo I only have a few days left and I am nervous. I cannot allow myself to go crazy like I did before. I give into peer pressure pretty easily when I'm not doing the Whole30 or 21dsd. My friends and family need to respect my choices and not try to push me to eat anything I don't want to. If I make the decision, then fine. But I cannot let them guilt me into eating something I'm not ready to eat.

Let meal prep sunday commence...

-Kim

Thank you. Its really not okay, I've been dealing with a verbally abusive person for the past 7 years. Honestly, losing weight by help of Paleo and Whole30 has made me realize that I am better than what I am dealing with at home. And if I do make the decision to leave, there are plenty of guys out there that would make me happy and treat me right. It just took a while for me to get this self confidence and have faith in myself.

I could mail you some! haha I really don't know how that works... 

We only live once, and you should be with someone who lifts you up, not brings you down!!

best of luck with whatever path you chose! :)

Day 26

Yesterday was tough.... I wanted to eat everything. Mainly because I was bored. I know I ate too many nuts in the form of cashews and almond butter. We went to my friends house for dinner and movies and to play with the kids. Zach and I are the godparents to their oldest son Bentley who turned 4 in March. And Mason, their little guy, is about 18 months. I love hanging out with them, we've been friends for about 7 years. They are the ones that introduced me to Zach <33

Anyways, there is always chips, candy, cheese curls etc for snacks around their house. And for dinner, we always order from the same pizza place. I have to say, out of all the days in this Whole30, that was the toughest. I brought my own food and avoided snacks by eating an apple. We played outside with the kids for a while which was a nice distraction from their snacks and I made sure I brought seltzer and lots of water.

Meal 1 - Cracklin chicken with caulirice

Meal 2 - a few slices of compliant prosciutto and roasted potatoes. So lame.... and an apple with almond butter.

I snacked on cashews in the afternoon... which I never do... but I was apparently bored... those are the habits I thought I got out of during this Whole30

Meal 3 - Cracklin chicken, roasted potatoes and asparagus. Another apple with almond butter.

I ate more fruit than normal. I tend to stick to one piece of fruit per day.... but the apple was there so I didn't eat chips and candy. So I see that as a win.

Day 27

I say this all the time but I cannot believe this is almost over. I have absolutely kicked this Whole30's butt. I am loving the program and the food and have tried new recipes to keep me interested in my meals.

Meal 1 - Bulletproof coffee. Made with ghee, coconut oil and a little cinnamon. Not sure if I'll make it again but I had to try it. I actually didn't eat anything else... its 12:35 now and im going to eat lunch. I honestly wasn't hungry at all.

Meal 2 - The last of my crackling chicken :( with a green pepper and guac. I don't feel like cooking anything right now, so I'll settle on a raw pepper for my veggie.

Meal 3 - I took out a bunch of meat from the freezer and bought the Trader Joes caulirice and fire roasted veggies. Ill see what I can come up with.

Soooo I only have a few days left and I am nervous. I cannot allow myself to go crazy like I did before. I give into peer pressure pretty easily when I'm not doing the Whole30 or 21dsd. My friends and family need to respect my choices and not try to push me to eat anything I don't want to. If I make the decision, then fine. But I cannot let them guilt me into eating something I'm not ready to eat.

Let meal prep sunday commence...

-Kim

Ah!!! I can't believe you are almost done!!!

Day 28

This kind of flew by for me... I can honestly say that I enjoyed this round. I'm pretty sure I didn't lose a ton of weight, but I am feeling super lean and healthy. My normal everyday stomach pains are gone, my pollen allergies are pretty much gone, and I am sleeping great. I just keep reminding myself of how good I feel and how much the number on the scale doesn't matter. 

In the Whole30 daily email for Day 27, Melissa and Dallas suggest Whole30izing other areas of your life that also impact your health and well being. Yesterday I started a "Sister30" with my cousin Megan. I lost my parents when I was really young. My dad died when I was 6 and my mom died when I was 8. My aunt and uncle moved into my house with their two kids, Eric and Megan to care for me and my brother Brandon. Over the years, my cousins have become more like my brother and sister. Meg and I are super close and talk a few times a week, but I wanted to start a Sister30 to ensure we have some sort of communication everyday.

It is so important to stay connected with loved ones. Especially with all the bad stuff that's happened in our lives. 

My brother is currently incarcerated... so it's tough to stay in contact with him other than writing letters. He will be in through August 2016, so I will definitely be writing to him alot to keep his spirits up.

I have learned so much through this round of Whole30. There is so much more in life that impacts your health that most people don't focus on. During the next few months, now that I have the nutrition part down, I plan to invest my energy and time into stress relievers like yoga and meditation and making sure that I am doing something fun everyday. The stuff that's good for your soul  :)

Meal 1 and 2 - They are exactly the same. Chicken curry with potatoes over cauli rice. 

Meal 3 - Dinner at my aunts house. She is keeping chicken and steak aside for me without a marinade. She also cooked up some veggies on the grill with EVOO

My aunt and uncle have some announcement to make tonight.... They asked all of us including my grandparents to be there for dinner at 5:30 tonight. They planned this two weeks ago so they are definitely hiding something. She said it wasn't bad.... which is good but I am so anxious to know what the surprise is!

I'll keep you posted  :D

-Kim

Day 29 Eeek!!!

The surprise was from my grandparents. My grandfather had mutual funds in our names that he is now turning over to us  :) That was a really nice surprise. He just wants to see us be happy

Meal 1- Chicken thighs stuffed with spinach and garlic and wrapped with prosciutto and roasted broccoli with toasted almonds

Meal 2 - Same as M1

Meal 3 - Not sure yet

Again, I feel great today. Pants that fit me last summer after I got down 50 pounds, now fit again. I had a rough patch during the holidays and gained at least 15 back.... so at this point, I am hoping I am back down to where I was. If not, I think I'm okay with that. I feel better than ever which is most important. 

For drinks today I have black iced coffee, selzter and lots of water. I have been slacking on my water intake recently. Need to get better at that!

-Kim

One More day!!!!!!

YAY! Are you going to keep some other type of log after you finish? I'd love to keep up with how it's going!

And that's nice of your grandparents! (so sorry to hear about your parents. I think the Sister30 is a great idea)

Archived