Lower Blood Pressure Success!

wholeCJ

I know we aren't supposed to weigh-in, but what about checking our blood pressure?!  Imagine my joy when checking my blood pressure the last three days and find it significantly lower!  I've gone from being Stage 2 Hypertension to Prehypertension (130/80)!  I don't even want to share how high my numbers were before Whole 30. I'm on Day 10, and have seen dramatic results. 

I can't imagine a more significant success!

Today's meals:

Breakfast:  Egg and Chocolate Chili with spinach

Lunch:  Salmon, Sweet Potato Cakes, homemade mayo, tangerine

Dinner: Salmon, Cauliflower Mash, blackberries

Snack:  Homemade Date, Cherry, Walnut bar

Very Cherry Bars (use as a template for almost any combination) 

LARA BARS use a multi-layer package that keeps out UV light and oxygen, which, in turn, maintains freshness without the use of preservatives. I use plain old plastic wrap and my refrigerator, then pop one in my bag when I’m ready to go. 

1/4 cup chopped dates (roughly chopped whole fresh dates; see my note about pre-chopped below)
1/4 cup dried cherries or dried cranberries
1/3 cup whole pecans, almonds or walnuts
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

Set out two pieces of plastic wrap for shaping and wrapping the bars. Do this first; you’ll have sticky fingers when you need it.

Place the dates and cherries in a food processor. Pulse until processed to a paste (photo 1). Transfer paste to a medium bowl (don’t clean processor).

Add the nuts to the processor and pulse until finely chopped (photo 2). Add the nuts, along with the cinnamon, to the bowl with the fruit paste (photo 3). Use your fingers to knead the nuts into the paste (just keep squishing, it’s fun; brings back memories of play-dough; see photo 4).
Divide mixture in half. Place each half on each of one of the sheets of plastic wrap. Wrap the plastic around each bar and start squishing into a bar shape form, 3 and 1/2 inches long, 1 inch wide and 3/4-inch thick); press against countertop to flatten bottom side, flattening top side and ends with flat of hand (photo 5) Tightly wrap the plastic around each bar and store in the refrigerator. Makes 2 bars.
Nutrition per Serving (1 bar): Calories 207; Fat 9.4 g (sat .8g, mono 5.2g, poly 3.1g); Protein 3.9g; Cholesterol 0mg; Carbohydrate 24.9g; Sodium 0.4mg. (Note: I did the nutrition analysis using Diet Analysis Plus 7.0.1)

• Moderators

Congrats on the blood pressure changes!

The composition of your meals looks fine. My guess is that you are not eating enough food because you are posting a recipe for a snack. The only reason to eat a snack is because you failed to eat enough at your previous meals. Your body works best when you give it 4-5 hours between meals without snacking.

Homemade Larabars are as bad a choice to consume during a Whole30 as a commercially made one. These ingredients are technically compliant, but when you put them together into a bar, you have made a paleo candy bar. A paleo candy bar is of course the last thing that is acceptable during a Whole30.

Congratulations, wholeCJ! That's wonderful. Amazing that you can see that kind of health result in only 10 days.

I was having some snacks, too, and the moderators encouraged me to eat bigger meals (like 1/3-1/2 bigger) and it really helped me to stay full and not resort to snacking. 

:huh: I am on day 12 of my Whole30. My blood pressure has been in the 165/80 range. I have tried four different bp meds with various very bad side effects on lowest dose and have a history of reacting strangely to many medications. This morning my bp was 142/60, now amost noon it is back to the high range. Not really willing to try other bp meds as they make me feel so terrible that I can literally do nothing. My daughter and her family are going to start whole30 after vacation in June. I ampraying for a good result. I can tell I have lost some wight and know that will help. Just plugging along.

Archived