Riding my own bike (and desperately trying to avoid ending up in the ditch)

• Moderators

After my first Whole30, I believed I had this stuff figured out, and I just knew I was going to stick with it pretty easily and it was all going to be smooth sailing -- I'd be able to indulge in stuff that seemed really worth it occasionally, but then get right back on track immediately, I'd keep cooking my meals and trying new recipes and avoid food boredom and life would be great. smiley-laughing001.gif

That's not quite how it worked out. Turns out, I still have a sweet tooth, and if I'm not careful, I still resort to emotional eating, and I still have days I don't want to cook, and I still get bored with my food, and I don't always want to take the time to try new recipes, even when I know that I'm bored with the same old thing. Whole30 gives me a framework for dealing with these things, but it wasn't a magic cure-all. Which seems really obvious when I put it like that, but I guess I just felt so good back at the end of that first W30 that it really felt like it might be almost magical. 

Lately I've just gotten further and further off track. My last Whole30 attempt, I crashed and burned, and I'm pretty sure if I started another right now, with all the stuff coming up in the next month or so, I'd end up doing the same, so instead, I'm starting this log, and I'm going to work on having more days that are W30 compliant than not. I probably shouldn't say W30 compliant -- I'm not worried about small amounts of sugar in otherwise compliant meats, and if I go out to eat, if I have protein and vegetables and avoid bread and dessert, I'm going to call it good, without worrying about what's in the marinades or salad dressings. So really more Whole30-ish? Actually, my username on IG is HealthyHappyShannon because I started a blog with that name because that's what my goal is, really, to be healthy and happy, and I really think of this as healthy, happy food. Not so picky about the details that I drive myself nuts trying to be 100% compliant all the time, but not the unhealthy stuff that leaves me depressed and feeling like a failure. 

I find taking pics of my food and posting it on Instagram seems to help keep me on track, so since I have the pictures, I'll go ahead and post them here too.

Here's what I had today:

PhotoGrid_1431486021294.jpg

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs, sauteed zucchini and sweet potato, and strawberries

Lunch: Fried eggs over a mashed sweet potato, roasted brussel sprouts

Supper: Baked chicken drumsticks, sauteed zucchini, sliced tomato with balsamic vinegar, and cherries

• Moderators

Thanks, Tina!

Today went really well. I actually spent a little time cleaning, which I've needed to do for a while, but have just not been motivated, so that's good. Hopefully that bit of energy will continue, because there's a lot more that still needs to be cleaned.

PhotoGrid_1431577641202.jpg

Breakfast: Collard greens with cashews and dried apricots (based on the first recipe in this post), scrambled eggs, iced coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: mashed sweet potato, cauliflower rice with cashews, dried apricots, and raisins, and hamburger patties, with an apple cinnamon ginger kombucha

Supper: Baked chicken drumsticks, a couple of smallish zucchini sauteed in bacon grease, and some cherries

• Administrators

I'm rooting for your Whole30ishness!  Whole30ish is the ultimate goal anyway, right? No such thing as W365 so you might as well work out what your personal plan will be!  :)

• Moderators

I completely forgot to take  picture of lunch, but here's breakfast and supper for today:

PhotoGrid_1431657150340.jpg

Breakfast was ground beef, cauli rice, brussel sprouts, zucchini, and sweet potato

Lunch was baked chicken drumsticks, a baked sweet potato, a banana, and a grape kombucha

Supper was hard boiled eggs drizzled with lemon-infused olive oil, zucchini and sweet potato. 

I really need to get to the store tomorrow, running out of vegetables.

I'm rooting for your Whole30ishness!  Whole30ish is the ultimate goal anyway, right? No such thing as W365 so you might as well work out what your personal plan will be!   :)

What ladyshanny said!

And I think posting photos of your food is very brave - mine often look less than appetising! It's also a great way to show other folk how we should be eating, PLUS it's keep you accountable if we're all plaguing you for pics of what you ate each day.... 

Keep on powering on!

• Moderators

Today's food:

PhotoGrid_1431755067894.jpg

Breakfast: hard boiled eggs drizzled with lemon infused olive oil, zucchini and sweet potato

Late lunch/early supper because everything all day has seemed to be running later than usual: Steak, roasted fingerling potatoes, cauli rice, salad, apple cinnamon ginger kombucha

Supper/evening snack: leftover steak, tomatoes

• Moderators

Today was a very lazy day. I didn't accomplish much, and dozed off on the couch watching tv. 

I did eat well, though, so that's something.

PhotoGrid_1431831214744.jpg

Breakfast: Baked chicken drumsticks (the last of these, thank goodness -- I'm a little tired of them), with zoodles and tomatoes drizzled with lemon-infused olive oil

Lunch: Leftover steak and fingerling potatoes, cauli rice, strawberries, and apple cinnamon ginger kombucha

Supper: a couple of hamburger patties topped with guacamole, sweet potato, and cherries

• Moderators

Yesterday's meals:

PhotoGrid_1431931742368.jpg

Breakfast: fried eggs, brussel sprouts, and potatoes

Lunch: hamburger patties topped with guacamole, cauliflower rice, sweet potato

Supper: (forgot to take a picture) three hardboiled eggs drizzled with lemon infused olive oil, some cherries

• Moderators

I currently have a jar of Nutella and a dark chocolate candy bar that are going into a gift basket sitting in my house. So far I haven't eaten either, but I'm thinking I probably should not have bought them quite so early, since I don't actually need to wrap the gift up until Thursday night/Friday morning, and there's still a thing or two I need to buy before I can wrap it up. I will not eat the Nutella, I will not eat the Nutella, I will not eat the Nutella.... (I'd choose it over the dark chocolate bar any day. There's a bottle of wine too, but that really doesn't tempt me at all.)

Anyway, despite the tempting chocolate, I ate healthy food all day:

PhotoGrid_1432013192364.jpg

Breakfast: scrambled eggs, kale chips, and mashed sweet potato, followed by iced coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: hamburger patties, potatoes, and grilled eggplant slices, apple cinnamon ginger kombucha

Supper: scrambled eggs with zucchini, strawberries

Sounds like you are doing just fine

Hope your depression has faded

Don't try too many new recipes So if you simplify what your used to cooking and keep it compliant

You may not crave or eat emotionally

Then when you are bored try something new

Keep up the good work

• Moderators

Thank you to everyone who's commented here, I appreciate it.

There's still an unopened jar of Nutella and a dark chocolate bar in my house, I haven't touched them, so that's good. Sometime tomorrow or Thursday I'm making a gluten-free birthday cake, so that should be interesting. 

Today, I needed to cook some chicken thighs that I bought and went with this recipe, using lard for the cooking fat. Turned out really good -- the skin was nice and crisp, the meat stayed moist. Smoked up the kitchen though, and splattered grease on the stove and in the oven. I really need to get a splatter guard for cooking things like that.

PhotoGrid_1432086444168.jpg

Breakfast: scrambled eggs, zoodles sauteed with tomatoes, and cherries

Lunch: burger patties topped with cashew butter and raspberry jam, turnip greens (overcooked and not very good, I really shouldn't multi task while I cook), and a cucumber-tomato salad with lemon-infused olive oil, white wine vinegar, and Sunny Paris seasoning.

Supper: Chicken thighs, sweet potato with ghee and salt

I hate getting my stove top splattered in cooking fat too, and on Sunday I just couldn't face cleaning it again so I stuck a chciken in my slow cooker for the first time ever without sealing it in a pan first - it came out fine! Who knew? Those chicken thighs look good though...!!

• Moderators

I hate getting my stove top splattered in cooking fat too, and on Sunday I just couldn't face cleaning it again so I stuck a chciken in my slow cooker for the first time ever without sealing it in a pan first - it came out fine! Who knew? Those chicken thighs look good though...!!

I do whole chickens in the crockpot a lot, and they're always ok. I've heard that if you still want the crispy skin after you cook it in the crockpot, you can put the chicken under the broiler right before you serve it and the skin will crisp up, but I haven't tried that -- that's really my only complaint about doing it in the crockpot. The chicken thighs were good -- I had the other two for breakfast this morning!

PhotoGrid_1432181146078.jpg

Breakfast: Leftover chicken thighs, kale chips

Lunch: JimmyJohns Unwich (basically, a lettuce wrap -- please note, this is definitely not W30 compliant) -- tired of cooking, tired of eggs, didn't have any leftovers. I was still hungry after this and had some pecans

Supper: Applegate Farms roast beef, jicama and guacamole

Still didn't eat the Nutella or the candy bar -- I need to get that gift basket wrapped up soon though, it was seriously tempting when I was hungry because lunch was too light.

• Moderators

I am currently out of town visiting my sister and her family. We had a lovely birthday celebration this evening, which included a gluten free cake I made that turned out really well, but obviously is not even remotely compliant.

Anyway, thought I'd check in, but food pics aren't happening for a few days, I'd rather not haul the phone out at meals, it seems so rude to me when there are other people around.

• 1 month later...

Archived