Breakfast Ideas...

Tiffani

I did my first Whole 30 supplementing my eating plan with "fruit-sweetened" banana muffins and almond flour-sesame crackers when I was traveling, I used being a flight attendant as an excuse to bend the rules with those two items thinking I needed them for travel. The truth is I just didn't want to give them up... once I let go of that the program was really able to work for me. And...egg muffins and cucumber slices travel just as well as those other things do!!! I agree wholeheartedly with Robin "Man up and eat some chicken!"

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I, too, am a huge fan of sweet potato hash. We have roasted sweet potato (cubed) in the fridge, as well as a cooked mix of ground beef and onions. This morning, I threw the following into a skillet in this order:

Coconut oil

Huge handful of spinach

Sweet potatoes + beef mix

When that was done, I put it aside in an oversized bowl

Then, I cooked 3 eggs "sunny side up"

Threw them on top of the spinach/yam/beef mix and mixed it all together. Ate it on my commute. I LOVE this recipe, and you can always do other veggies in place of spinach. I've done mushrooms and tomatoes. Be creative. :-)

it's funny how after a few weeks people seem more open to eating lunch/dinner type foods in the morning.

i wanted to cut back my sweet potatoes and decided to saute up a bunch of kale with bacon and onion. now i have my poached eggs on that instead!

guess we are just so programmed to eat something sweet at breakfast, hard to break out of it. but i do believe eating something sweet first thing (even if it's berries) really sets you up to crave sweet all day.

I have been starting my days with beef broth. I truly believe this has allowed me to reprogram my palette to accept savory over sweet. I am sure it common to find you want the sweet until you complete the reprogramming and are just hungry!

I love eggs but they can get a bit boring after a while, but what I done today was boil it, until i got bored and wasn't keeping track of time so didn't know if it was soft or hard boiled. Then i remembered that when I was a kid i used to get egg in a cup. Just cut it up in a standard tea mug, add your salt pepper and a little homemade mayo. its actually pretty tasty. And quick!

We've had some quick tasty breakfasts of ground beef and onion with kale. One of my husband's favorites was boneless chicken thighs and lots of onion with kale and spinach.

This morning I'm eating frozen mixed berries with pork sausage (compliant, no sugar or other gnarly things) over a microwaved sweet potato.

I've also found that left over roast meats and veggies with the roast jus over some microwaved eggs is a super fast, tasty, filling breakfast.

I love eggs but they can get a bit boring after a while, but what I done today was boil it, until i got bored and wasn't keeping track of time so didn't know if it was soft or hard boiled. Then i remembered that when I was a kid i used to get egg in a cup. Just cut it up in a standard tea mug, add your salt pepper and a little homemade mayo. its actually pretty tasty. And quick!

I made egg in a cup this morning for my boyfriend and brought it to him in bed, aren't I the best?? :P

I've also made mashed up sweet potato & banana with cinnamon and a few nuts some mornings when I'm not feeling like eggs.

I've been trying new breakfast ideas without eggs since my comprehensive blood panel showed serious egg sensitivities. This morning, I had a breakfast bake - sausage, mushrooms & tomatoes w a little sweet potato and a slice of bacon. If you want egg-free ideas, check my W30 log:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/4170-egg-free-whole-30-2/

Or my Pinterest:

http://pinterest.com/curranma/paleo-recipes/

The acorn squash and sausage, in particular, is really good - and I work out first thing in the morning, so I'm ok with some starchy veg for breakfast.

I read either on this site or another, that someone chopped up nuts, added berries and poured coconut milk over it for a cereal like effect. I have been using that and it is pretty great as long as you don't overdo the nuts!

Sounds like you might be missing a very important part of the meal: protein!

I read either on this site or another, that someone chopped up nuts, added berries and poured coconut milk over it for a cereal like effect. I have been using that and it is pretty great as long as you don't overdo the nuts!

I know this thread is old as the hills, but I just have to comment:

This is not an okay thing. Please don't make yourself "cereal" out of nuts and berries. Not only will it be less satisfying than actual cereal (and probably make you want REAL cereal), but you won't be getting your protein + good fat + veggie intake for breakfast and that can mess you up for the whole day. An entire bowl of nuts, no matter how many berries you throw in there - is going to be WAY more than a serving.

Mom talk over.

I've been digging spicy/ savory for meal one...

I order regularly 8-10 different types of chiles from the southwest/ Mexico .... I've been making a few different blends varying with cumin,coriander,epazote,( other Indian curry blend also).... I have recipes if anyone's interested.....

I keep them in ball jars on my spice rack..... I've been browning ground beef/turkey/pork in a skillet with avocado and a ton of veg ( I mix it up a lot). Sprinkle on a liberal amount of my all purpose chile mix And yum yum yum.... Sometimes I top with a runny eggs or not, and if I can find good tomatillo I'll make a tomatillo green chile sauce a top it.... Better than any chilaquilles I've ever had

Keeps me warm,full.energetic till 2:00 PM.

I used to eat omelet,oatmeal,fruit toast...every day and I was starving by 10:00am and needed a huge protein shake and then counted the minuets til lunch!!!!

Bring on the spice!!!! Most of the chiles I use are mild to medium...lots of indicate favors with out too much heat... I just add habaneros when I want it HOT

I'm definitely interested in your spice blends!! I'm maintaining through the holiday and would love some new ideas. Do you cook the avocado w the ground meat & veg, or do you add it at the end? Either way, it sounds great!

People think I'm nuts but I love to slice/ chunk up my avocado and sauté it ....gets a nice nutty/ buttery flavor...

You need to find a good source for chile's. I was using sweet freedom farm in New Mexico ... I've been trying for weeks to contact them to no avail... ???? I purchase direct from distributors but 10 lbs seems to be their minimum ...and they prefer to only sell 50 lbs.. per type. ( that's a lot of chile) Ill keep you posted if I find a good source...

Anyway if you can find them dried you can lightly toast and grind or buy it already ground mix equal parts, mild New Mexican red,mild New Mexican green,guallio,ancho,Hungarian smoked cherry,and,chile de arbol..... Then adjust heat to your liking with habanero. That's my 8 chile blend.... Very smokey and rich and not to hot if you don't add to much habanero

For all purpose chile powder I take 5 parts of the blend to one part toasted and ground cumin seed,1/2 part toasted ground coriander, 1/2 part epazote powder.... I love this on just about everything

I. Am. Drooling. I *love* chilaquilles. I love experimenting in the kitchen, but oddly enough have never made it to making my own chili powder. This is now a must-do for me. Thanks for the inspiration, and please, keep us posted if you find a good source.

http://www.myspicesage.com/

I get all my Indian and North African type spices from here....very very fresh and they have a huge variety.... They sell buy the ounce for good prices, they have a large turnover so everything is usually about a year fresher than if you bought in a store... Got to go to India/Africa to get fresher

I make fresh several different Masala blends, tandoori seasonings, curry blends,etc. they have some chiles but more geared to Indian not south west...good place to start though....

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Have you tried subbing ground turkey, chicken or pork for the sausage?  When I use sausage, I almost always end up crumbling it, so ground meat makes a pretty easy substitution.  If you want the spiciness of sausage, you can easily add spices to your ground meat before adding them to a recipe.  Here's a good spice blend for Italian sausage:  http://balancedbites.com/content/easy-recipe-italian-sausage-spice-blend-from-practical-paleo/ 

Archived