Need to add new veggies

Lorilou

I have managed to bake sweet potatoes several different ways and sick of green beans. I love cubed sweet potatoes with just olive oil and sea salt, so easy and so good. Any time saving methods y'all have for some tasty veggies ?

I was raised on potatoes and didn't realize there was so much out there.

Lorilou

• Moderators

Second the roasted veggies. Use ghee, coconut oil for great flavor. Cut all in same size chunks, toss with your fat, sprinkle with sale, then roast at high temp (400 or higher). Makes anything taste amazing, but my faves are:

1. Broccoli (SERIOUSLY roasted broccoli is like nothing you have ever tasted. Cut 'em pretty small and let the little "tree" florets crisp up a bit on the sheet. Holy crack!)
  2. Mix of root veggies like carrots, parsnips, rutabaga, winter squash.
  3. Beets, cubed, tossed with fat and salt AND juice of an orange. Amazing!

My new fave is pan fried cauliflower. Pan fry in your fat of choice, then when fully cooked through, with the heat still on, press down on the cauliflower with a spatula. Let them brown a bit. Yum!

• Moderators

Zucchini is very versatile, you can throw it in a soup, add it to a stirfry, make zucchini boats, make zoodles to top with meatballs and marinara sauce, eat it raw in a salad, make zucchini chips. (You can also do those same thing with yellow summer squash, either the crookneck or straight varieties.)

This Cocoa Toasted Cauliflower is good. There's Belly Dance Beet Salad (seriously, even if you think you don't like beets, give this salad a try). Butternut or acorn or kabocha squash are all good roasted -- if the thought of dealing with a whole one is intimidating, try to find cubed butternut squash in your produce section at the store, my local grocery store almost always has some.

This recipe is a good one for any greens like kale or collard, mustard, or turnip greens. (There's actually two recipes there, I use the top one with dried fruit and nuts, but the other is probably good too -- I just never scrolled down far enough to see it before.)

Archived