Is pumpkin not a starchy carb?

Pumpkin is a starchy veggie. I don't mention it when I list starchy veggies, because I've never made an outstanding pumpkin recipe. :)

Then you, sir, need to get your hands on some kabocha squash, aka japanese pumpkin. Roast slices in the oven and it's AMAZING. I eat them cold straight from the fridge.

Great! 

Tom, I think you should add pumpkin to your starchy veggies list for people because there are a lot of pumpkin-holics out there. :P  Also, many people already like using pumpkin as an ingredient. (Libby's canned pumpkin is 100% pumpkin with no added ingredients or preservatives). I like to use it as a quick breakfast side by heating it and adding some coconut oil.

Canned pumpkin is excellent turned into a soup with compliant sausages, bone broth, spices and thinned out with coconut milk! Yumm! Could even do a curried pumpkin soup as well! 

lurve curried pumpkin soup  :wub:

Believe it or not, those cans of 100% pumpkin actually contain some type of winter squash. No lie!

http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-actually-in-your-canned-pumpkin-puree-ingredient-intelligence-69123

This is why canned pumpkin is illegal for the GAPS diet since there are specific requirements on the type of starches you can have on the GAPS intro.

Outside of the US, "pumpkin" is kind of a generic term, but in the US, when someone says "pumpkin" we assume that they mean sugar pumpkins or pie pumpkins.

How weird, ultrarunnergirl. I use the Libby's brand, which the article says is made out of pumpkin, but it's a special strain of "Dickinson pumpkin" that doesn't look like the familiar Halloween one.

This is almost like when I learned that the "baby carrots" in the supermarket didn't come from little tiny carrots.

Archived