Day 4 and my Diet Coke trick is working so far

annjb

Hi Everyone,

I just stared my first Whole 30 on Monday, and so far it's going well. I was a big Diet Coke addict (probably about 3 cans a day) and have found that hard to quit in the past because of the caffeine headaches I got. So as I got ready for my Whole 30, I stopped drinking DC about 5 days before. Substituted a little coffee as my methedone for the caffeine problem. Once my whole 30 started, I made sure it was black. I really miss my DC--the taste, the experience of it--but the cravings are not overpowering, at least so far. I plan to start mixing in some decaf and tapering off the coffee soon. Somehow decoupling the caffeine and DC withdrawal has made it a lot easier.

As for the rest of the Whole 30, it hasn't been too bad these first few days. I feel pretty good! I ate a lot of protein and veggies before but have a big sugar habit--cookies and ice cream are my dragons. My #1 goal is to change my emotional eating patterns. And yes, I would love to lose some weight, too :)

Good luck to all of you! 

• Administrators

Don't give it that power!  It will die quickly and quietly because you have left no space for it to pitch a fit.  It will just go away.  Thoughts are reality, change your thoughts, change your reality.  :)

I used to be a Diet Coke addict. I know what you mean about enjoying the "experience" of it. I quit it by drinking seltzer/soda water. The fizzier the better. I found that a really cold and fizzy water was enough to reproduce the experience and hit the spot during a craving. And it didn't take long for me to realize I actually don't like the taste of artificial sweetener. 

I quit my daily DCs years ago, but would still occasionally have one when out at a restaurant. It just felt like a really nice memory, but not one I wanted to bring back every day. You can do it! 

Swithy, I think you're right about the carbonation--need to get some Pellegrino, stat! And I like hearing that for you the occasional DC is just a pleasant memory. That's what I'm going to fix in my mind as my outcome. Need to do that for chocolate chip cookies too :)

Caffeine and sugar are my dragons for sure.  Wife and are starting June 2nd after her birthday and in the meantime, we've  been planning and getting the kitchen ready.

I've had serious, serious issues with caffeine over the years.  If it's not coffee, then it's soda.  Most days, literally every drop of liquid that entered my mouth had caffeine in it.

Anyway, yesterday I had my last cup of coffee with creamer in it.  I was drinking my coffee and browsing through the Whole30 website and thought, "hey, let's give this a little trial run before the official start date, get an idea what dragons are going to be the hardest."  I decided no caffeine, sugar, or dairy for the rest of the day.  Felt really sharp and focused, more energy, it was great.  

Today I woke up and had my breakfast (something I never do) and decided black coffee was just plain awful and skipped it.

WOW!  Less than 48 hours without caffeine and I have a mind-numbing headache.  

Moral of the story:  I can get used to black coffee if it means no headaches.  I'll learn to love black coffee.

And LadyShanny, I can answer your question.  Went through Basic Training for four months and no sodas.  Most Basics you do six weeks, then you go off to your specialty school for more relaxed training.  Not mine, four months at boot camp with no soda.  Before we went to the airport, my wife and mother-in-law took me to an all you could eat buffet and Dr. Pepper tasted like acid, could barely finish a swallow and had to replace it with sweet tea.

• Moderators

Moral of the story:  I can get used to black coffee if it means no headaches.  I'll learn to love black coffee.

If you really don't like black coffee, you could try drinking black tea, iced or hot -- should still be enough caffeine to help with headaches. But the headaches should stop in a few days, so you could tough it out. Drink lots of water instead.

If you really don't like black coffee, you could try drinking black tea, iced or hot -- should still be enough caffeine to help with headaches. But the headaches should stop in a few days, so you could tough it out. Drink lots of water instead.

I can give that a try.  I think we have some black tea cups for the Keurig machine.

Thanks, Shannon.

• Moderators

Check the ingredients list for those kcups -- there was a tea I had for mine that I really liked, but after I drank a cup during my first W30, I checked the ingredients and there was soy. I'm still not sure why there would be soy in tea.

Obviously, if you haven't started your W30 yet, not a problem, but once you do, you'll want to pay attention.

unrelated to Whole30 I stopped drinking pop almost two years ago and haven't looked back.  I used to drink a crap load of DC--then I read about it.  Sometimes your brain needs help when kicking addictions if you can put logic behind why you need to give up something.  Seems to work for me.  11 years ago I read the book Fast Food Nation and I quit fast food all together.  Never looked back.  It is quite detailed with meat production- that did it for me.

Like the others have said- sparkling water with a squeeze of lemon, cucumber, mint- is really helpful.  After you complete Whole30 there are loads of homemade syrups you can make to add to sparkling water.  I mean sugar free syrups with honey or maple syrup- because who doesn't love a cold pop on a hot day?

Every three days I make almond milk- it is really easy.  I enjoy my morning latte- it is part of my day and the almond milk foams really well.

I have only been doing this for 15 days but what I am learning is that there is a difference between needing food, wanting food and enjoying food.  

The pellegrino is working-- thanks for the suggestion a couple days back! When I need a hit of something fizzy (fizz was definitely part of the DC allure) it's doing the trick. A little lemon in there for some tang and all is good. I'm still having daily cravings for DC but they're surprisingly manageable!

I've been drinking a bit of coffee in the morning with a shot of compliant coconut milk from home, but think I'm going to try to taper that off. If just doesn't taste that good to me (I've never been much of a coffee drinker). It's more been a caffeine crutch and a morning ritual treat to replace the DC I used to get every morning on the way to work. 

Awesome! Glad the fizz is helping. 

I got a SodaStream so I'd always have fizzy water in the house, and it is great. But lately, I've only been drinking flat water. I used to hate, no despise, flat water, but I'm training myself to drink it. Lately I've been getting around 100 oz a day, which is a huge achievement for someone who used to wince through every glass. 

What is the recommended amount of water we should be drinking on Whole 30? 

Also regarding caffeine headaches--I gave up coffee several years ago when I kept getting these nasty, horrible headaches, but only on weekends. I couldn't figure out why, and then I realized that on weekends I wasn't having my morning coffee on the way to work and then my several coffees during work. Caffeine never gave me any extra energy, it just sapped me of energy when I didn't have it. It felt like a useless addiction. So I gave it up cold turkey, and for four days, had monstrous headaches and would fall asleep at my desk. All of a sudden on day 5, I felt like a brand new person. Energy I never had before. I never looked back. 

Archived