1st day Whole30...05/15/15...

misskarinb

The anger and crabbiness did not hit me until day 5-6, but boy did it! I had to apologize to my kids the next morning. Today I feel less angry and more sensitive, like I might cry at a sad commercial kinda sensitive! Kept with the food solid, but starting to tire of salad greens with oil and vinegar. Managed to vary my protein more. I'm not eating any starchy veggies, even after working out. Maybe should but I've got a long way to go from here.

Well here we are in day 9.  Still going strong....well maybe not strong, but still going.  Took the grandkids to McDonalds this morning.  I had a decaf coffee, black.  Then when I got home, I made a smoothie using 2 frozen bananas, some fresh pineapple, vanilla, 1 cup coconut milk and a spoonful of almond butter and blended until smooth.  Tasted like tropical ice cream.  I ate some and put the rest in the freezer for a snack if I really REALLY need one.  Which, so far I haven't.  I also roasted some almonds by drizzling with olive oil and cinnamon.  Pretty good, if I do say so myself.  Feeling pretty good today, a little more energy than the past couple of days.  Hang in there, we can do this.

Oh, Liz, my guess is Alaska.  It is northwest of Seattle.   :D

Well, happy Memorial Day all! My husband is one of 7 kids all grown with kids of various ages. Guess what....we have the largest house so we get to host all the big stuff! Nice in a way that we can, but challenging when you're serving 20! At least this time someone thought to get it catered so I didn't cook! Have the group around all weekend too! 4 stay in our house.

Lots food everywhere! I can control breakfast and lunch and did great. Dinner was compliant too in a way! Smoked meats- southern BBQ. Chopped smoked pork, beef brisket, ribs dry rubbed. I roasted butternut squash and had that as my side versus Mac & cheese or baked beans. There was birthday cake- I LOVE cake, not icing but cake. I sliced and served everyone and when they were finished the rest went in a Tupperware- I didn't even lick my fingers. But I did make them take the cake with!

OK, I slipped this weekend so starting over tomorrow.  On the plus side, I didn't slip concerning sugar.  I had some cheese and corn this weekend at a festival we have here in town.  So starting over tomorrow, so I weighed again and found that I had lost 5 pounds through those 9 days.  This is really hard to do with a houseful of people that aren't eating like I am.  But I am going to try to do better.  At least I haven't caved to the sugar monster.  :rolleyes:

Does anyone have any good "grab and go" breakfast ideas?

I blend eggwhite protein with kale or spinach, berries, half banana, chia seeds and flax- quick once you get used to the process. I know book says don't blend though.

Also- brown crumbled sausage and place in small muffin tins that are oiled, then pour in scrambled egg until 2/3 full. Bake until set. Store frig, heat and go.

There is always boiled eggs, but getting tired of those.

Pre cooked chicken chunks might work too

Well here we are in day 9.  Still going strong....well maybe not strong, but still going.  Took the grandkids to McDonalds this morning.  I had a decaf coffee, black.  Then when I got home, I made a smoothie using 2 frozen bananas, some fresh pineapple, vanilla, 1 cup coconut milk and a spoonful of almond butter and blended until smooth.  Tasted like tropical ice cream.  I ate some and put the rest in the freezer for a snack if I really REALLY need one.  Which, so far I haven't.  I also roasted some almonds by drizzling with olive oil and cinnamon.  Pretty good, if I do say so myself.  Feeling pretty good today, a little more energy than the past couple of days.  Hang in there, we can do this.

Oh, Liz, my guess is Alaska.  It is northwest of Seattle.   :D

Sorry, but it has to be said that this type of snack is only going to keep your sugar dragon alive. If you really REALLY need a snack try to make it in line with a mini template meal - protein, veggies & fat - this is the only thing that will work in the long term.

Also note that smoothies are off limits, and snacking is discouraged - try to make your meals big enough that they keep you satiated for 4-5 hours. If they're not doing that then you're not eating enough... If it's a craving your trying to quell then try a distraction technique like going for a walk, washing some dishes, painting your nails. A craving is faux hunger and it WILL pass given the chance....

Good luck!

Sorry about the smoothie.  I like ice cream, and though this would help me stay on track.  I'll try to do better.

LOL I wasn't telling you off - just trying to offer some guidance to help you through.

I've been around long enough to know that many folk do well in getting the much desired digestive re-set from eating whole foods, but many fail to get the much more important (IMO) head re-set because they spend their timing recreating their comfort foods with technically compliant ingredients, and they very quickly go back to their old eating habits on day 31 (or very shortly after!)....

If your pre-whole3 poison was ice cream then the last thing you should be trying to recreate during your whole30 is ice cream - which, now that you've explained what you were trying to do, you should know is SWYPO.

Stick to proteins, fats & veggies and you won't go far wrong.

Liz, Karin?? Think me and mtfoades are left In forum alone? Are you doing okay?? We're on day 11 and craving massive struck today! I held out but had 2 socials after work where the red wine was literally calling my name!!!

Hi everyone.  Well just wanted to let you know, I am redoing my Whole 30 in July.  It is too difficult to try and cook 2 separate meals since my son and his family live with us.  They are actually moving out next week (yea!) and then I am going on vacation the end of June.  So I will restart July 6th.  I will still be checking in to give my encouragement to you.  You guys can do this!!

Hello out there I am here.  Life kind of got in the way and had no time to read or post.  Long story let's just call it life.  

This is Day 18 and still in compliance.  Mtdoades got it right I am from Alaska.   :D Born and raised.  Right now we are in pretty much all the time sunlight when Alaskans are the most active.  The fresh fish and shrimp are easy for me to get right now and been eating alot of fish and shrimp.  I am also taking care of my friends chickens so now I have fresh eggs everyday!  Today I got 4 eggs from 4 chickens.  My husband and I are going on a vacation for 5 days meeting our son in Oregon and going to Crater Lake.  I have a plan on staying compliant which includes bringing alot of my own food.  This won't be my first rodeo cooking in a hotel room  :)

Today was terrible.  I was hoping to loose my migraines with the Whole30 thought process.  Well that did not work!  Got a bad migraine and had to go to a migraine clinic to receive IV meds to calm down the migraine.  My migraines are getting worse and worse as I journey through getting older.   :angry: At least I know the migraines are not triggered by sugar or grains.  Now that really only leaves hormones.  I thought this Whole30 was to help stabilize those hormones.  Anyway little concerned about my attitude to continue if still going to get migraines but my husband was surprised to hear that and is supportive of me continuing my journey. (Even with the hassle on vacation and no sugar products in the house - except ice cream)

Archijen please stay with me.  I need the forum.  It is so good to know someone else is out there.  I am bummed about mtoades starting over but she has a better understanding now and should be just fine on her next journey.  I bet with out even knowing it she is already making better food choices just from her Whole30 experience.  

Archived