Whole 30 and itchy skins

CazFilly

Hi.  I am  on day 15 of my first whole 30. Generally I'm feeling okay - but not as good as I'd hoped to.  Maybe that energy rush is just around the corner though!!!!

I've played around with paleo and whole food eating for a while now but have never got to the bottom of my ezcema and skin itches.    I had high hopes that dropped grains and dairy for 30 days bring things into focus and lead me to some answers. However 15 days in I'm more itchy than ever.   I determined to push thru and do the full 30 days but I am a little disappointed.  It would seem grains and dairy are not the culprit.    So now I am thinking maybe eggs or nuts - so I'm trying to reduce those too.

I also have Hashimotos (thyroid dysfunction) which I know also benefits a lot from no grains - so it's all worth while for me. Maybe after doing the reintroduction I'll do another 30 days and but this time drop eggs and nuts and maybe add the diary back in if I don't react to it.

Anyhoo - just interested to hear from anyone else who had had similar itchy issues while on the whole 30.  Love to hear your experiences.

Hi.  I am  on day 15 of my first whole 30. Generally I'm feeling okay - but not as good as I'd hoped to.  Maybe that energy rush is just around the corner though!!!!

I've played around with paleo and whole food eating for a while now but have never got to the bottom of my ezcema and skin itches.    I had high hopes that dropped grains and dairy for 30 days bring things into focus and lead me to some answers. However 15 days in I'm more itchy than ever.   I determined to push thru and do the full 30 days but I am a little disappointed.  It would seem grains and dairy are not the culprit.    So now I am thinking maybe eggs or nuts - so I'm trying to reduce those too.

I also have Hashimotos (thyroid dysfunction) which I know also benefits a lot from no grains - so it's all worth while for me. Maybe after doing the reintroduction I'll do another 30 days and but this time drop eggs and nuts and maybe add the diary back in if I don't react to it.

Anyhoo - just interested to hear from anyone else who had had similar itchy issues while on the whole 30.  Love to hear your experiences.

I haven't had any similar issues with itching, but if you post a couple of days worth of food it may be easier to help pinpoint a possible cause?

The itching is bound to put a dampener on your whole30 experience so hopefully someone can help resolve it, and in the meantime start looking out for all the other benefits to keep you motivated - clearer skin, better quality of sleep, balanced moods, etc. And remember it's not called a whole30 for nothing!

It seems I'm pretty much alone with my itching problem.  Day 17 and still itching. Have also developed a head cold and having trouble sleeping.  The sleeping I think is related to my carb level. I think I need more.  All in all I feel a nice stable content feeling but am struggling with the itching.  As a little mini-trial I cut out nuts for two day and then eggs for two days.  No change. I was kind hoping if one of them was the cause my itching would lessen.  I will press on. I've come so far now it seems a shame not to keep going.  

Sorry you're still having this issue - the head cold, and sleeping troubles may or may not be related, but the itching & head cold (I'm reading this as congestion) do sound like food/environmental reactions to me.

Could you post a few days worth of food/activities to see if someone can help you pinpoint a possible trigger?

• Administrators

Hi, if you think that eggs or nuts is causing this, you may need to eliminate them for more than 2 days to see results. As an example, if I eat dairy, I get dermatitis that lasts up to 14 days before starting to clear. Just a thought before you dismiss a food as the culprit.

Hello, day 15 for me and I also have a recurring rash having popped up again. I can't for the life of me work out what it is, I've done a tonne of elimination diets before and I can't seem to make the connection. So am a little frustrated and pressing on anyway.

Histamine intolerance is very common for those of us with gut issues.  

http://paleoleap.com/histamines/

Sometimes it isn't one food or another but the length of time a food has been stored after cooking and how much higher histamine foods you've eaten in the last while.  I freeze all meat in individual servings as soon as I cook it.   

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I also had itchy issues. I think it's high sugar content for me, whole30 has definitely made a difference - cleared up the whole lot, rashes and hives and general skin problems. Just a stab in the dark, but are you eating much fruit? I find I can't overdo it.

Hey, I also had itchy issues. I think it's high sugar content for me, whole30 has definitely made a difference - cleared up the whole lot, rashes and hives and general skin problems. Just a stab in the dark, but are you eating much fruit? I find I can't overdo it.

My  Great Grandmaw always said that it was too much sugar that caused itchy skin.   :D  I think you're right on the money, honey...Dannimac. 

Thanks meadow lily, I know it is for sure for me because I took out sugar specifically in elimination previously, and the day I put it back in I woke up on fire again! Your grandma is a wise lady :-)

Well,  back in her day...the kids would eat cinnamon toast.   They didn't have toaster pastries and all of these highly engineered to be craved snacks.  The kids would put bread on a cookie sheet with butter, cinnamon and then pile the sugar high when it came out of the oven.  They'd jostle it around to make sure all of the corners and middle were covered with about a 1/4 inch high of sugar, perfectly covered.  :P  :D 

If the kids would complain about their skin itching all over the place, especially their backs - "Oooo you kids have been eating all of that sugar again."   That reaction was almost immediate after those sugar fests. 

Well,  back in her day...the kids would eat cinnamon toast.   They didn't have toaster pastries and all of these highly engineered to be craved snacks.  The kids would put bread on a cookie sheet with butter, cinnamon and then pile the sugar high when it came out of the oven.  They'd jostle it around to make sure all of the corners and middle were covered with about a 1/4 inch high of sugar, perfectly covered.  :P  :D 

If the kids would complain about their skin itching all over the place, especially their backs - "Oooo you kids have been eating all of that sugar again."   That reaction was almost immediate after those sugar fests. 

My maternal gran used to make us cinnamon toast when we were kids! Oh my word, that takes me back....!!

Archived