Chick-Fil-A tonight... or pass?

Nickiechan

Tonight my husband and my family are going to Chick-fil-a before we go to Wegmans to pick up some 'hard to find' items. We typically go there when we go to Wegmans (it is bit of a drive) and it has a playground for the kids to play. Anyway, is there anything compliant that I could have? i'm searching and even their chicken has soybean oil, sugar etc... I'm am shocked! My husband was like...  "Oh it is just chicken you can go there! Just get it without bread!" I'm anxious to send him the ingredients list. Does anyone know what is compliant that I could have there to enjoy the evening with my family? Am I stuck with my fruit cup? I don't mind eating before hand... but just thought I would check here before I consider it a bust... 

I believe the only way you'll get a compliant meal is to make and eat your own food beforehand. 

EDIT: A suggestion: make enjoying a night out with your family less about the food and more about quality time together. Maybe you find another option besides Chick-Fil-A.  If your Wegman's has a sushi bar/prepared foods and you like sashimi, you could get sashimi (fish and no rice), and then a salad with compliant ingredients including avocado.

Guest Andria

I echo what Chris says above.  

You will be hard pressed to find a compliant full template meal at fast food restaurants.  Inevitably,  they will cook with crap oil, use crap oil in salad dressing, inject their poor quality meats with crap. :(  Additionally, you need to do your own research when eating out and not rely on forum member's experiences since chain/franchise restaurants can change cooking oils, ingredients regionally.  One example of a restaurant this happens with has been Chipotle.

I believe very strongly in creating family rituals around food. This is so important in our extremely busy world. My rituals around food have increased a thousand per cent since beginning my Whole30 journey, and I am constantly thinking of ways to ritualize more food/family moments. I do not agree with separating food from family activities, instead I regard that very separation as the source of many of our greatest ills in nutrition and family member isolation. Please, folks, ritualize food and family together. I am over the moon that my girls are growing up knowing that mom makes her own mayonnaise and it's so good they won't eat anything else. I am so thrilled that each and every day we now sit down to breakfast together. I can't even describe my joy that almost every night we sit together for dinner and talk over our day - and even the times we're too tired to talk, we are eating together. Food and family rituals are near to being sacred for me, and I do not want anyone who creates and encourages these rituals to hear that it's not OK for Whole30ers. For some folks, given their context, maybe. But if we're raising children, let's make food and family rituals.

As for Chick-Fil-A: like other fast food places, and indeed, like most restaurants, they will not provide you with whole foods nutrition. They are there to sell the most low-quality food to the most consumers as rapidly as possible.

I love your family/food ritual around this, though, and I'd strongly encourage you to keep it and think about how you can alter it to make it healthier (not this trip maybe, but on another occasion). The combination of long car trip with mom and dad, the chance to run around wildly while screaming and climbing on stuff, and plenty of tasty food, is a fantastic food/family ritual for families with young children. On future trips, might it be possible to, say, bring a picnic to a park where the kids can do the aforementioned running wildly about while the grownups set out the picnic and call the children over to shriek their brains out while they eat and then run off wildly again? I have no idea if this is possible in your area, just a thought about how to keep the combination of travel/play/food going.

Please, families, ritualize food and family. It's sooo important.

Thank you so much for your kind worlds AmyS. They really did hit home. Well... your suggestions have been fantastic! There is a small park (with walking trail) near Wegmans (behind it) that we sometimes go to before chickfila and then Wegmans... so I made the suggestion to my husband (who is also trying to save money every way possible, but yet invest in our healthy eating style) to pack dinner and take it to the small park! So still family ritual and I don't have to be the one with the fruit cup only.   :lol: 

• Administrators

Thank you so much for your kind worlds AmyS. They really did hit home. Well... your suggestions have been fantastic! There is a small park (with walking trail) near Wegmans (behind it) that we sometimes go to before chickfila and then Wegmans... so I made the suggestion to my husband (who is also trying to save money every way possible, but yet invest in our healthy eating style) to pack dinner and take it to the small park! So still family ritual and I don't have to be the one with the fruit cup only.   :lol: 

Love it!!! 

Archived