Sign in to follow this  
Lexical

Veggies and plants high in protein that aren't lentils, beans or soy :)

Hi, I thought I would make this for you guys who want to get more plant based protein but don't want to eat beans, lentils or soy.

These are higher sources of protein for you. :)

1. Chia seeds

2. Hemp hearts (delicious source of omega 3 fatty acids, too)

3. Hemp protein powder (check health food stores) 

4. Purslane

5. Mung bean sprouts (1 cup of mung bean sprouts has 3 grams of protein!)

6. Sunflower sprouts (they are 25% protein)

7. Cruciferous veggies are fairly high in protein as far as veggies go (3 grams protein per about 100 grams)

8. Pepitas (pumpkin seeds)- high in protein, contain 9.3 grams protein per 28.35 grams (or 1 ounce)- pumpkin seeds are also known to kill many types of intestinal parasites. 

9. 28 grams of avocado has about 1 gram of protein

10. Guavas- a 1 cup serving of guava fruit has 4 grams of protein!

11. Dried apricots have 3 grams protein per half cup (and 21% of your daily iron, but the page I got this info from didn't list the amount of iron in mg)

12. Cashews contain 4 grams of protein per 28.35 grams (or 1 ounce).

13. Unsweetened cashew butter contains 3 grams protein per tablespoon of butter. :)  

14. Seaweed is high in protein (as far as plant sources go). 100 grams of laver seaweed has 6 grams of protein. 

I hope this helps some of you out there who want to ditch beans, lentils and soy for at least 30 days but still get enough protein. I am new to this so I am not sure if the dried apricots are allowed, but I am hoping that some of these suggestions help. Purslane is hard to find, so I suggest growing your own. Purslane contains more omega 3 fatty acids than any other plant source. 

I got my purslane from this distributor (they haven't sprouted yet but I am excited):

https://www.westcoastseeds.com/shop/vegetable-seeds/salad-greens/purslane-seeds/garden-purslane-seeds/

Cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, pumpkin seeds, chia are some of my favorite high protein whole 30 foods.  If you are eating plenty of veggies you should be getting plenty of protein. 

You're welcome. I also read that a common weed called "lambsquarter" is very high in protein.

Here is the wiki entry for you. Many common weeds are actually very high in nutritional value, compared to storebought vegetables. Just make sure you know for sure what you are eating (get several good foraging books and if still unsure, take a class):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chenopodium_album