Dextrose snuck up!!!

Fireweedinak

We are on day 14. We made some really yummy curry chicken which we thought was Whole 30 totally compliant. When we went to buy the same curry paste again I noticed it said dextrose in the ingredient list. We consumed about an gram of sugar between us (the rest of the dish is going in the trash!). Although we really, really don't want to have to start over we want to reap the benefits from our Whole30 program. We didn't deliberately use something with dextrose and it created no sugar cravings at all. Do we need to start over?

• Moderators

The amount of sugar you ate will not wreck your experience, so just view this as a learning experience and keep going.

It would be nice if manufacturers did not hide sugar with 25 different aliases, but then people might ask why sugar is such a common ingredient in things you would never imagine would need sugar. I remember wondering why anyone canned clams with sugar when I first started reading all labels. One of my food industry friends clued me in. Sugar makes second rate food taste better, so manufacturers use sugar a lot to make lower quality food taste better.

• 4 months later...

They hide all sorts of crazy things in packaged foods now. It's insane. I remember when I was nursing my daughter last year and had to cut out dairy for her, I was shocked by how much stuff I was eating that had dairy products in it. Freaking packaged lunch meat has dairy product in it. Lunch meat!

Archived