Can I have vegan shakeology?

Ashtonkorie

• Moderators

No, these are not okay. They contain stevia for sure (and maybe other off plan ingredients, I stopped looking when I saw the stevia).

Additionally, Whole30 really wants you to eat actual food, not shakes or smoothies. The act of chewing your food is tied to the digestive process, and things that you don't chew don't provide the same satiety signals of things you do chew.

If you haven't already, you probably want to check out the program rules, the Can I Have list, and the meal template.

Basically, three times a day, we want you to have:

• 1-2 palm-sized pieces of protein (if eggs are your only protein, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand, usually 3-4 for most people)
  • 1-2 thumb-sized servings of fat (or a handful or two of olives, or 1/2 to a whole avocado
  • 1-3 cups of vegetables, more if it's raw leafy greens
  • fruit is completely optional, if you want it, try to limit it to 1-2 servings per day, with a meal, not on its own

Most people benefit from having at least one serving of starchy vegetables a day (sweet potatoes, potatoes, root vegetables like beets, turnips, or rutabagas, or winter squashes like spaghetti, butternut, or acorn squash) -- if you're very active, or if you're prone to depression or anxiety, or if you're breastfeeding, or during the week leading up to and maybe first part of your period, you may find you need more.

The Shakeology people try to convince you that what they are selling is better for you than real food, but that couldn't be further from the truth. You can not get much more processed than a tub of powder. Turn the other direction and see how close you can get to eating plants right out of the ground.*

*edit, to be perfectly clear: it's ok to cook them too, and some plants are better assimilated in cooked form.

Archived