Gut by Giulia Enders

littlewhistler

Hi - this is my first post  :) . I am on day 5 of Whole30. I just just reading this article and thought the book might be of interest to anyone doing Whole30. I went straight on Amazon and bought the kindle version. I was especially interested in the last bit about the appendix. Mine ruptured five years ago following misdiagnosis and stalling by the doctors. I wonder what that did to my insides. By the end of 2010 I was on anti-depressants. It wasn't a hugely good year for me with the trauma of the appendix episode and personal issues but maybe the nature of the surgery was a contributing factor if maybe your state of mind can be linked to the gut?

This is very, very cool. I went to a continuing ed seminar a few years ago that focused on the Gut-Brain Axis and how the health of your gut biome plays into pretty much any mental or behavioral health disorder that you can name. Then there's also the story that's been circulating lately about the woman who received a fecal transplant from her daughter. The mother was normal weight and had never had any issues with weight management. The daughter was obese and after the transplant, the mother couldn't control her weight gain no matter what she tried. There's no enough research to draw a direct causal link, but the same issue has been noted in animal trials and there's other human research which has documented that there are differences in the gut biome of someone who is lean versus someone who is obese. Very, very interesting I think.

Thank you for sharing this article - very interesting and quite amusing!  Now I know why I can't go #2 anywhere but at home!  (I wish more people at work had this problem...)

Oh yes - I don't know who it is, but there are some disgusting individuals in my office. I mean, if you have to go then you have to go, but have a look down the pan after you flush!

I got the book on my Kindle. I can't put it down and it is very very funny as well.

Archived