Day 19: Feeling discouraged

Hey everyone,

I'm on Day 19 of my first Whole30 and I'm feeling more than a little discouraged. I'm hoping that people with more experience can help give me perspective.

I started on May 1st and have been pretty darn strict about eating compliant foods. (one slip up on day 4 with dressing that had cheese in it at a restaurant and also had bullet proof coffee, forgetting that "grass-fed" was not "clarified" butter.) Most of my calories come from protein, fat (eat all the avocados!!!) and veggies. I eat fruit about twice a day, usually a banana and/or an orange, or indulging in my new love affair of having a mango for dessert after dinner. 

Overall I've really been enjoying the experience of being on the Whole30. I haven't had a ton of cravings or missed dairy nearly as much as I thought I would. I've been more creative with cooking and much better about meal planning which has all been great. My favorite part is experiencing how much energy I've had!

Here's where I'm getting discouraged:

I don't think I'm having any physical results. My clothes don't fit me any better and one of my big goals has been to start losing weight. I broke my leg a year ago and gained 20 pounds because I was inactive and eating whatever I wanted to because I was bored and felt sorry for myself. 

I'm still struggling with inactivity because I don't think my leg healed right and I have pain when I do anything that causes impact. I was really hoping that this Whole30 would help me lose weight by focusing more on nutrition. 

Am I expecting too much, too soon? Any words of encouragement? Do I need to cut fruit out? 

Thanks in advance!
Katherine

More protein and fat and less fruit with a high sugar content.  All of the fruits you eat are the ones I avoid because they have the highest fruit sugar content.  

Posted Today, 08:58 AM

Melissa @ Whole9 says

April 6, 2011 at 2:09 pm

It may take a week or two… it may take a month or two. Depends on how bad your sugar demons are, and how you treat them during your Whole30. Dallas likes to say you can’t kill the sugar dragon with willpower, you have to STARVE it. So don’t give in to those cravings during yourWhole30 by using fruit as a crutch… stick it out and it will get better.

Best of luck to you!

Melissa

• Administrators

What was your intake like before Whole30? It is possible that your body is prioritizing healing over weight loss.

Also note; this is a 30 day program.  Not 19.  Many, many people report seeing their success in the last week or even the last couple of days.  

I would recommend you steer clear of eating "dessert" at all whether it's compliant foods or not.  Mangos are extremely high in sugar and if you are eating them alone, hours after your dinner, you are spiking your blood sugar and allowing it to tank afterwards.

You can post a couple days of typical consumption if you like and we can take a look and see if anything stands out.  Include portions as they relate to your palm and thumb sizes, fluids, exercise, sleep, stress and anything else that might be relevant.

It is possible that the twice a day fruit consumption could be impacting your results, but let's do a reality check for a moment:

You're on day 19.

This is a  30 program.

You're just past the halfway point. (Exactly at the halfway point if only counting from your slip-up.)

You mention having the mango as a dessert and you have a "love affair" with it. That sounds like a sugar dragon. Yes the fruit is compliant, but sugar is sugar and can still impact your results. And if you have lingering inflammation from your broken leg (which is likely given the pain you're experiencing) then that is also going to impact you. Inflammation in the body is a form of stress and excess stress leads to weight gain. How is your sleep? If you're not getting sufficient rest, then that's additional stress and an additional hurdle to changing your body composition.

Remember too that 30 days is only the start. It's not a magic wand and your body may need more time to heal.

I jotted down the food I've eaten for the past three days for reference.

Day 17:

Late Breakfast: Scrambled Eggs with side of potato hash (w/bacon) http://noblepig.com/2014/11/sausage-sweet-potato/. Coffee with coconut milk “creamer” (dried dates, vanilla and cinnamon)

Day 18: 

Breakfast: 2 Fried eggs and 1 avocado. Coffee with coconut milk “creamer” (dried dates, vanilla and cinnamon)

Lunch: left over pot roast and an orange

Dinner: Cilantro lime chicken fajita salad (http://www.mynaturalfamily.com/recipes/paleo-recipes/paleo-chicken-salad-recipe/) tomatoes and avocado with olive oil and the lime cilantro dressing (no honey) and a mango.

Day 19 (today):

Breakfast: Woke up late, missed breakfast

Snack at office: cup of black coffee and a banana

Lunch: Cilantro lime chicken fajita salad tomatoes and avocado with olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dressing

Dinner: Ground beef ’n boc choy with onion and peppers.  

I'd also like to point out that the mangos have been a bit of a recent anomaly. I say "love affair" because I had never really had a mango until recently. I had no idea how delicious they are, so I haven't been having one every day for 19 days. But yeah, based on these entries it does look excessive. I'll cut them out. 

Thanks for the reminders everyone. I think putting on clothes that still don't fit me well just threw me off into a negativity spiral. 

• Administrators

Hooboy.  So yes, you have done well with not eating any non-compliant foods.  You have not done as well in following the meal template.

1-2 palms of protein at every meal (when it's eggs that's as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping.  At LEAST 3-4 for most people)

1-3 cups of veggies, loads more if it's salad greens as those get munched down to nearly nothing in volume

1-2 thumbs fat (or half to whole avocado or heaping handful olives).

Skipping breakfast and light breakfast and late breakfast are all nonstarters.  Sorry.  Breakfast in full template quantities within an hour of waking is the absolute biggest step towards balancing hormones and those balanced hormones are directly tied to the "magic" that you want to feel.  Skipping any other meal goes nearly as far towards snuffing out that hormone rebalancing because your body can't trust you.  Weight loss happens when the hormones and blood sugar is balanced and the body feels "safe" to release weight.

The coffee creamer with dates and the banana alone are sugar bombs that a person who desires to lose weight does not need.  If you want fruit, have it with a main meal after you've filled up on protein, veggies and fat. No fruits alone and no allowing fruits to push veggies away.  On your pot roast dinner and lunch days, did you have veggies or fat?

I only see one mango listed.  Were there others?

Hey There,

Also something very important that you seem to missing is 3 full template meals a day.  A coffee + a snack does not a meal make.  You are actually setting yourself up for stalling any type of weight loss by doing this.  

The simple math work as such.  Eating 3 template meals daily = regulating happy hormones = possible weight loss 

Overall your meals look very light on vegetables - fruits should not be pushing veggies off your plate

and you are light on fats.  Please remember that the fats that you cook with in a pan are very often left behind unless you scrape them out of the pan.

Thanks for moving this to troubleshooting, didn't think of it like that. Also, missed adding the mango for dinner last night. I updated the journal post. So there are two in the past three days. 

Missing breakfast isn't something I usually do. This morning was an odd-ball since I woke up late. But thanks for emphasizing the importance of breakfast.

I guess it surprises me that I'm not getting enough protein, fats and veggies, I eat all of that until I'm full. I didn't think of fruits as taking place of veggies, just something else that tasted good and added variety. 

I'll up the breakfast protein, eat more avocados, and get more veggies in there. 

Thanks all,

Kat

I am on day 24 and am anxious to know if I have lost weight and how much.  Following the rules, I have not gotten on the scale during this period.  It sounds to me like you are doing quite well.  You are experiencing more energy and should be celebrating the positives.  Think about your successes and set goals for what you can do in the next 11 days to target the weight loss.  My down fall has always been sugar, so I have to work on adding vegetables that are not high in natural sugars.  (Sorry, enough about me)  How great is it to be feeling more energetic.

One more specific note on the coffee creamer. This isn't just a sugar bomb; it's non-compliant. See below from the can I have guide:

Tip: Regarding “Paleo” coffee creamer… sigh. We know there’s a recipe out there where eggs, coconut milk, dates, and some voodoo magic are combined with prayers to create a thick, creamy concoction that can take the place of your cream and sugar (or Coffeemate) and once again transform your undrinkable black coffee into sweet, dreamy caffeine. This is not okay–sugary creamer substitutes fall under the SWYPO rule. Instead, we’d encourage you to take a look at why you need this at all. Do you really like coffee, or are you drinking it for the hit of sugary flavor? - See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.j5FOtYWw.dpuf

... suddenly feels like a bunch of effort was wasted because something I thought was compliant isn't actually compliant. 

19 days trying to eat whole30 but missing a few details here and there is still a HUGE accomplishment and a step in the right direction. You have all the time in the world to continue to refine what you are doing--don't let yourself believe that not trying would have been better.

• Moderators

Keep on keeping on ishkadoodles!

This is GOOD news - your fellow Whole30ers have identified your stumbling blocks! Just think if you hadn't asked and gone the entire 30 days doing the same thing. Now, you know how to improve your Whole30 and get the results you want and deserve.

Be encouraged. You can do this!

19 days trying to eat whole30 but missing a few details here and there is still a HUGE accomplishment and a step in the right direction. You have all the time in the world to continue to refine what you are doing--don't let yourself believe that not trying would have been better.

I agree!  Don't feel discouraged, especially if your diet was very SAD before.  You've done great - no, not perfect, but still great, and you should be pleased with that.

In my first Whole30, I lost several pounds almost immediately and then nothing else the rest of the 30 days; in my second Whole30 I lost nothing until the third week (yes, I got on the scale...I know, I know...).  It's easy to get frustrated, but this is about so much more than weight loss.  It will come. 

• Moderators

Too many blurry lines to deal with. 

*sigh* 

They're not really blurry... the intent is not to jam your old bad habits into new 'compliant' ingredients.  If a line looks blurry, just ask yourself if it's a lot of effort (as you said) to make something SEEM like something else... if it is, then it's probably a no go for the 30 days.

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate the guidance, gentle reminders and encouragement to keep going.

Yesterday was definitely one of those low self-esteem days where nothing is "enough". I got to Day 20 of the Whole30 Daily emails this morning and man, I wish I had gotten it yesterday! It's all about body image and not letting it get in the way. Funny timing. 

Suggestion:

Do you have time the night before to say

throw together a 6 (or more) egg veg starchy veg frittata and crumble in a leftover burger sausage other protein even chicken Bake 375* ?

You'll have

Breakfasts ready for you heat up n go

Our fellow member Jmcbm does this

• 2 years later...
6 minutes ago, Joe6452 said:

Hi how long does it take to get a reply about my content.  

It depends on the time of day & how busy the moderators are as we are all volunteers here & living in different time zones...

What is it you need help with?

Archived