How to rescue Cauliflower Mash that's runny

cranberriez

Hi all, I am on my first day of my first Whole 30. I tried the cauliflower mash recipe from the Whole 30 book and apparently missed the part about adding the liquids gradually. So now I could possibly drink the dish through a straw.

Can it be saved?

Thanks!

• Administrators

Yoinks!  How about steaming another head of it and then throw it in your liquidy mash and blend together?  You could probably add a steamed potato to help stiffen it up also.

Or, failing that add a touch of bone broth and a bunch of spices and turn it into soup.  Kind of like this recipe: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/10/24/golden-cauliflower-soup/

• Moderators

You could try adding more cauliflower, or some other vegetable. Something with not a lot of moisture. If you have a potato, that might work -- cook it, mash it, and blend it with your cauliflower. Or broccoli, although that will turn the mixture green. Cook it, drain it well, and put it in the food processor, then combine it with the cauliflower. I'm sure other vegetables would work too, I'd avoid something like zucchini that tends to be moist on its own.

Or you could try putting your liquid cauliflower mash in a pan on the stove, get it to where it's just simmering, and let it cook, uncovered, so the liquid will evaporate. Might take a while, but it will eventually work. I'd probably stir it ever now and then, just to make sure it's not sticking to the bottom of the pan.

Speaking of Cauliflower,,  how much of a whole head of steamed cauliflower do you eat ??  I love the stuff so its no biggy  but its damn near 3/4 of a head..  for one person?   How bout you?  A family would be several heads and right now where I live organic cauliflower is 5.20 a head..   

• Administrators

OH, we eat a crap tonne of it!  If I mash a large cauliflower (from Costco, they're pretty big) we get dinner for two and lunch for two, barely. Cauli rice is the same, we can usually eat a whole head of it fairly easily.

For cauliflower mash, a large head of cauliflower will usually suffice to feed myself and my husband (who is a BIG guy) for dinner and I usually have just enough leftover that I can add it to my lunch for the next day. I always try to dig out the biggest heads I can find when we get groceries. Cauli-rice tends to stretch a little farther, but I also tend to mix other veggies with.

• 2 years later...

Archived