My first W 30 and I'm training for a marathon!

orca_chick

Ok, so to keep myself honest I'm food journaling during my Whole 30. I'm also hoping for suggestions and feedback from anyone that has experience doing W30 while at the height of training for a marathon. I'm not sure the timing is perfect to be starting a change in my diet ( I've been eating Paleo for about 8 weeks but I'm not as strict as W30) but my CrossFit gym is doing the challenge this month, so why not? I started yesterday, September 1st.

Day 1

Exercise: 15 mile run

Pre-run snack: Banana with 1 tbsp almond butter

During run fuel: 3 fig based (whole food, no added sugar) energy gels

Post-run snack: an apple

Post-run meal: Spinach salad with sautéed mushrooms, peppers, onions, grilled chicken and salsa

Mid-afternoon snack: 3/4 cup baby carrots and 2oz of pineapple

Dinner: Spiced rubbed chicken breast (approx 6oz) and 1 cup of steamed broccoli

H20-5 liters

Day 2

Exercise: Day of rest

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs with onions, spinach, peppers, mushrooms, and 2oz of chicken. Banana with 1/2 tbsp almond butter

Lunch: 3/4 cup baby carrots, 3/4 steamed broccoli, and left over chicken (5 oz)

Dinner: Salad with Balsamic Vinegar, 2 Grass-fed sugar-free beef hotdogs, 1/2 cup sweet potato fries, and 1 cup of watermelon

H2O-4 liters

*Cut up 2 strawberries and added them to my water for the day*

Hi Renee,

I use Reload energy gel by Ignite Naturals. It may not be a perfect whole 30 fit but it's a heck of a lot better than Gu or some of the other gels on the market. I have a really hard time tolerating energy gels and food in general while running, but I seem to do ok with these. Hope this helps!

http://ignitenaturals.com/reload.php

And thanks for the protein suggestion. I definitely need to be better about eating a more protein dense post workout snack after long runs and CrossFit WOD's.

Day 3

Exercise: 4.1 mile hill run

Pre-run snack: 1/2 apple with 1/2 tbsp almond butter

Post-run snack: 1oz roast beef

Lunch: Large romaine and red leaf salad with bell peppers, 1/4 cup walnuts, 2 tbsp golden raisins, 1/2 of an avocado and 5 oz of chicken and balsamic vinegar. 1/4 sweet potato

Pre-dinner snack: 8 small strawberries and a small handful of cashews

Dinner: 4 oz grilled salmon and 1 cup grilled asparagus

H2O-4 liters

Thanks Renee!

I should probably mention that I work outside in the sun all day so I tend to drink a lot more water than most people. I haven't figured out how to make an electrolyte drink that fits with W30. Any suggestions? I used to squeeze fresh OJ and then cut it with water and add a pinch of salt...but clearly juice is not recommended and I'm trying to cut back on my coconut water consumption because of the sugar.

That's awesome. Maybe I'll see you there. JK.

Are you training with LLS or did you enter the lottery?

I entered the lottery and got really lucky. I'd love to join Team for a race at some point in the future, but I just couldn't balance my job, training, personal life, and fund raising this time around. How about you?

Day 4

Exercise: CrossFit WOD "Fran"

Breakfast (5:45 am): 1/4 lb hamburger patty wrapped in romaine and 8 small strawberries

Snack (9:30 am): 1/2 cup baby carrots and 2 tbsp sweet potato hummus (sweet potato, tahini, lemon juice, garlic)

Lunch (12:00 pm ): 4oz wild sockeye salmon, 1 cup grilled asparagus, nectarine

Pre-workout snack (4:00 pm): 1 hard boiled egg and a handful of raw almonds

Post-workout snack (6:10 pm): 1oz roast beef and 2 tbsp sweet potato hummus with 1/2 cup baby carrots

Dinner (7:00 pm): Chicken fried "rice" (cauliflower, broccoli, shredded carrots, eggs, garlic, coconut aminos, and coconut oil) 4oz chicken with 4 oz of "rice mixture" and 1 cup watermelon

H2O-4 liters

Day 5

Exercise: CrossFit WOD "Murph"

Breakfast: 3/4 cup steamed green beans, 1 chicken tomato basil sausage, and 2 hard boiled eggs

Lunch: Left over chicken fried "rice" and 1 medium sized nectarine

Pre-workout snack: 1oz almonds and 8 oz Kombucha

Post-workout snack: 1 oz almonds

Dinner: 4 oz beef burger, 4 oz turkey burger, lettuce, grilled asparagus, onions, and a small piece of pineapple.

H2O-4 liters

Day 6

Exercise: Day of rest

Breakfast: 1 cup steamed broccoli, 1 hard boiled egg, 1 oz roast beef

Lunch: 3 oz roast beef, 3/4 cup baby carrots, 2 tbsp sweet potato hummus, 1 med sized apple with 2 tbsp almond butter

Snack: Larabar and small handful of cashews

Dinner: Sweet potato, apple, sausage, and egg hash (3 eggs in total and 1 cup of hash mixture), 3/4 cup asparagus, and 3/4 baby carrots and 2 tbsp sweet potato hummus

H2O-3 liters

I entered the lottery and got really lucky. I'd love to join Team for a race at some point in the future, but I just couldn't balance my job, training, personal life, and fund raising this time around. How about you?

I'm with the Washington/Alaska chapter. But I'm bringing my family with me so I won't be rooming with a teammate. I've strained my groin though, and haven't been able to run for weeks. Keeping my cardio up with the bike and swimming. I had to drop from doing the full to the half, in case it doesn't heal in time. No matter what I am going to try and walk the half.

Good luck with the Whole30. Your meals look tasty!

Day 7

Exercise-16 mile run/walk (definitely one of the worst runs of my life)

Pre-run: 2 tbsp of coconut butter and a nectarine

Post-run meal (3 hours later)-3 eggs scrambled with coconut oil and assorted veggies. 4oz of steak. 1 coconut water diluted with water

Dinner-1 cucumber and avocado hand roll, 1 spicy tuna hand roll (both with no rice or soy sauce) and a small green salad

Snack-Nectarine and small handful of mixed nuts

H2O-2 liters

Also made up my electrolyte drink post-run-Juice of 1 orange with carbonated water (to fill glass) and a pinch of salt.

Day 8

Exercise-Day of Rest

Breakfast-3 eggs over easy, 4 strips of bacon (Whole 30 approved), sautéed onions, peppers, and mushrooms. 8oz Kombucha

Lunch-3/4 cup blueberries, small handful of cashews, 1/2 cup baby carrots, and 1oz roast beef

Dinner-1 cup cauliflower "rice" and 1.25 cups of coconut curry pork with peppers and mushrooms. 8oz Kombucha

H2O-2 liters

Day 9

Exercise-Day of Rest

Breakfast-1 banana with 1tbsp almond butter, 1 hard boiled egg, 1oz roast beef

Lunch-1/2 cup of cauliflower "rice" and 1 cup coconut curry pork, 1 nectarine, small handful of cashews

Snack-1/2 cup baby carrots, 3tbsp sweet potato hummus, 1/2 cup pistachios

Dinner-1 cup of kale/broccoli sauteed in olive oil and 5 oz of chicken/italian sausage roulade

H20-3 liters

Day 10

Exercise- CrossFit WOD

Breakfast-2 hard boiled eggs, 1 banana, 1 oz roast beef

Lunch-1 cup baby carrots, 3/4 cup kale/broccoli, 5oz chicken/italian sausage roulade

Pre-workout-1 peach and small handful of almonds

Post-workout-Coconut water diluted with H2O

Dinner-Buffalo "tacos" (lettuce wrapped) with tomatoes, avocado, and salsa. Steamed broccoli on the side

H2O-3 liters

Day 11

Exercise-CrossFit WOD

Breakfast-2 hard boiled eggs, 1 banana with 1 tbsp almond butter, 1 oz roast beef

Snack-Larabara and small handful of cashews

Lunch-1 cup broccoli and 1 cup coconut curry pork

Pre-workout-an apple and 2 tbsp almond butter

Dinner-1/2 cup sweet potato hummus, 1/4 cup celery, 4oz turkey burger, 1 egg, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 tomato, and 1/2 cup asparagus grilled with olive oil

H2O-4 liters

I've been running a little behind in logging my meals because of my crazy busy week! At least I've been able to stay on the W30 wagon even with all the stress. :)

Day 12

Exercise-CrossFit Wod

Breakfast-2 hard boiled eggs, 1 banana, 1 oz roast beef

Snack-Small handful of cashews and 1/2 cup baby carrots

Lunch-Turkey burger with 1 egg, 1/2 an avocado, tomato, and 1/2 cup asparagus grilled with olive oil and a nectarine

Pre-workout-Laurabar, 1 oz beef jerkey

Post-workout-Small handful of almonds

Dinner-Romaine salad with avocado, tomatoes, and grilled red snapper with balsamic vinegar. Small side of sweet potato hash

H20-4 liters

Day 13

Exercise-Day of Rest

Breakfast-1 hard boiled egg, 1 banana with almond butter, 1 oz roast beef

Snack-Small handful of cashews

Lunch-3/4 cup baby carrots, 1 apple, 2 tbsp almond butter, 3 oz roast beef

Pre-dinner snack-1 apple, handful of cashews, and 5 baby carrots

Dinner-Large romaine/spinach salad with broccoli, butternut squash, carrots, cucumbers, and diced eggs with a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. 2 oz roast beef

Day 14 (Thus far)

Exercise-20 mile run (much better than last week)

Pre-run meal-2 bananas with almond butter

During run fuel-larabar and 2 pouches of apple/berry baby food

Post-run meal-Romaine salad with grilled onions/peppers, 1/2 avocado, 3 oz chicken, 3 oz steak, hot salsa. 1 coconut water and 1 glass of homemade electrolyte drink (OJ, Water, Salt).

1 med sweet potato (baked until very soft and peeled)

1/4 cup tahini

2 cloves garlic

Lemon juice to taste

Put all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.

*I add water if the consistency isn't where I want it to be*

It's also good with cinnamon, cumin, or cayenne added to it.

Enjoy! :)

Day 15

Exercise: Day of Rest

Breakfast-Sauteed kale, spinach, and garlic herb sausage with 2 eggs, banana with almond butter

Snack-1 nectarine, 1/4 cup cashews

Dinner-6oz chicken, 1 med sweet potato, 1/2 cup steamed asparagus, 1/2 cup mixed green salad with balsamic vinegar. 4oz watermelon

H20-3 liters

Day 16

Exercise-Day of rest

Breakfast-Banana with almond butter, 1.5 oz beef jerky, small handful cashews

Lunch-1 apple, 1 cup baby carrots, 2 tbsp almond butter, 3oz roast beef

Snack-1 cup grapes, 2 oz kale chips

Dinner-Butternut squash, cauliflower, onions and fennel roasted with olive oil, 4oz tri tip, 1/4 cup steamed asparagus

H2O-4 liters

Day 17

Exercise-Crossfit WOD

Breakfast-1 banana, 3 eggs scrambled with onions, bell peppers, broccoli, spinach, and garlic

Lunch-1 apple, 3/4 cup baby carrots, 2 tbsp almond butter, 3 oz roast beef, 1 cup spinach with bell peppers and 1/2 avocado

Dinner-I cup chicken fried "rice" (cauliflower, carrots, broccoli, eggs, coconut aminos, garlic) with 4oz chicken

H2O-3.5 liters

Day 18

Exercise-Day of rest (so, so, so tired today....)

Breakfast-1 banana, 1 hard boiled egg, 1oz roast beef, 8oz Kombucha

Snack-1 cup baby carrots and 2tbsp sweet potato hummus

Lunch-1 cup leftover chicken fried "rice"

Dinner-1 bell pepper stuffed with ground beef, garlic, onion, spinach, and basil, 3/4 cup broccoli, 1 banana with 1 tbsp coconut butter

H2O-3 liters

Archived