Start date June 1

Elissa W

Sunflower ~ I definitely make it sound like I'm choosing something different.  I love steamed cabbage (which is true) and I want to have my chicken over that tonight.  When I made the "chocolate chili" last night I gave each of my kids a bite of it and let them choose between the new chili and our old family favorite.  The always get a choice to eat the "different" foods I eat, but usually prefer  the more common meals.

I am known to say things like "I'm trying to get away from sugar right now because I have been eating too much" or in the instance of the cracker "Thank you for offering, but I am not hungry right now".  

One think I really have realized over the years is that while they do watch us and pay attention, it seems so much more dramatic to us than to them.  If they see us eat, and exercise to a healthy extent they won't be scarred by the fact that we don't eat crackers or cupcakes.  Just try and be calm and natural, and like you said, positive.

Now that my kids are older 9/13/13 I am more open and tell them that when I eat a little bit of sugar I want more and more and it makes me grumpy.  No one wants me grumpy and they all recognize the truth of it.  It's easier.  But with one of those 13 year olds being a girl I have focused very much on making it positive, and about health rather than weight loss.  I always was conscious of what my actions were teaching her and I can honestly say she has amazing body image, and health consciousness.  She eats treats, but doesn't finish them if she is full.  Maybe Her personality is just a strong one and she would have done that anyway, or maybe the focus being on health has really changed our generational footprint.  :)

Best of luck. 

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 8 ... moving along.

As I thought, already out of food (gosh those kids can eat!).  Another day of cooking ahead!  Trying a new meatball recipe today (posted on this site ... orange and chicken ... sounds interesting).  

Otherwise, joyfully uneventful day.  Next week is a monster week for me at work.  I need some peace before the crazy!

Have a great weekend!

Happy weekend! Weekends are always slightly harder for me as my husband is home and likes to go out to eat or get pizza delivered. But it gets easier as time goes on and I'm more convinced that this is a new lifestyle for me that I need to stick to. For example I had one day of bad eating between my rounds of whole 30 and it's taken me 5 days to get back to feeling normal!! Was it worth going through those five days of headache and low energy just so I could have a few treats one day?? No! But I am learning my lessons as I go along and now feeling even stronger in my desire to make this a lifestyle. So yeah I'll be ordering a boring salad or chicken breast if we go out this weekend, but to me it's worth it to compromise since I know my husband enjoys eating out...I get to eat yummy healthy meals all week long :)

A question - for those of you with young children, how do you explain the W30 to them? I have two young daughters and I feel a great deal of responsibility to demonstrate a healthy relationship with my body and body image. While we have the same meals, they're not W30ing and still have bread, milk, etc, for snacks. I just want to give them an explanation for why Mumma's not eating the cracker they're offering to share with me, and do it in a way that sounds positive, rather than restrictive, or negative. Any thoughts will be very gratefully received!

We don't eat horribly on a regular basis anyway but my husband and I had been talking about how many processed things we do have and how lazy we had been getting about making things from fresh, whole foods. We had already sat them down a few weeks ago at dinner and said we would not be buying more cereal for breakfast and the snack items would have to change a bit so they were already expecting things to be tidied up. The teenagers were told outright we were trying a meal program with certain restrictions. My 7 year old just heard "More veggies, fewer noodles" and I told my 5 year old "I am not eating things like that anymore, but thank you for offering." when she tried to give me some of ger pretzels. I make a point to NEVER talk about weight or body shape in front of my kids because I don't want them to have a negative self image over my own insecurities. Even more so now that i have daughters. We talk about being strong, eating well to feed our muscles and bones, and having smarter treats when we do have them.

I was shopping last night and saw those aidells sausages everyone talks about. Only two did NOT have sugar. So be wary if you're buying them based on the brand and not reading the label!

Yup Molly, I ran in to that exact thing too when I was looking online to see who else carried them.  So far I've only found the Apple Chicken in my local market.  Also, I found a sauce pouch from Red Fork to season potatoes with that I had bought a month or so back and while the one I bought is compliant, when I looked them up online to see what else they offered the same product lists an entirely different oil in its ingredients online!  

Which means, even if you have bought the product before same brand/same flavor, may not hurt to reread that label every single time.  WOW.

Our June Start Gemini Horoscope for today says:

You're embarking on a phase devoted in large part to your love life, Gemini! Make this time completely fulfilling by introducing fresh new ideas. Don't let these pleasures grow stale. The cycle ahead is extremely auspicious for romance. It's a good time to take a trip, just the two of you. If you're single, you may meet an uncommonly interesting new person.

Well we can definitely relate to the introducing fresh new ideas and not letting these pleasures grow stale (literally!) and I've for sure met some uncommonly interesting new people!  :lol:  

Thank you all for the suggestions! Yes - the discussion should focus on making good choices about food that will make our bodies stronger. I like the point that their growing bodies need different things to my grown-up body, and will definitely use that if it comes up in conversation again.

Honestly, I'm probably overthinking this. It might not even be registering with my kiddos but I just have strong memories of my own mum doing the Cabbage Soup diet and other 1980s weirdness, and I don't want my kids to have those memories of me!

Thanks guys :)

I have 2 questions and I don't think I have seen them asked on this thread -

1.  I started on Monday and I am amazed that after the first day I have not been hungry in between meals and that is why I think I am eating too much.  

breakfast - 3 eggs and 2 sausages with spinach and bell peppers

lunch - avocado, veggies, protein, romaine lettuce

dinner - avocado, salmon and veggies.

All items are Whole30 compliant and I am trying make sure that I don't snack.  I am doing the Whole30 because I am trying to lose weight and would hate to think I am going through this and end up gaining weight - I did sneak on the scale and I have lost weight, but prior to starting this I just ate whatever I wanted to.  Any suggestions?

2.  This is a little embarrassing but I am in the bathroom a lot!  I have seen people mentioning that they are having headaches, but I haven't had any, I'm just in the bathroom!  Any suggestions?

Also - is it possible to attach pictures of our meals?  I would love to get an idea of what other people are eating.

I also want to thank everyone for posting - it has helped me get through this week and especially this weekend!

I have 2 questions and I don't think I have seen them asked on this thread -

1.  I started on Monday and I am amazed that after the first day I have not been hungry in between meals and that is why I think I am eating too much.  

breakfast - 3 eggs and 2 sausages with spinach and bell peppers

lunch - avocado, veggies, protein, romaine lettuce

dinner - avocado, salmon and veggies.

All items are Whole30 compliant and I am trying make sure that I don't snack.  I am doing the Whole30 because I am trying to lose weight and would hate to think I am going through this and end up gaining weight - I did sneak on the scale and I have lost weight, but prior to starting this I just ate whatever I wanted to.  Any suggestions?

2.  This is a little embarrassing but I am in the bathroom a lot!  I have seen people mentioning that they are having headaches, but I haven't had any, I'm just in the bathroom!  Any suggestions?

Also - is it possible to attach pictures of our meals?  I would love to get an idea of what other people are eating.

I also want to thank everyone for posting - it has helped me get through this week and especially this weekend!

If you're ready for your next meal in 4-5 hours then your eating enough. If you're still full 4-5 hrs later then you're eating too much. Remember that the meal template is the minimum recommendation so it's okay to eat more if you need to.

You could maybe drop a sausage from meal one and add more veggies - you'd need to be eating a TON of spinach for it to be enough (think how much it shrinks down when it's cooked or wilted) so maybe add some cooked veg of some description in there. And if you're eating a whole avocado at meals two & three try eating a half & again add more veggies in it's place.

You're doing the right thing by tring to avoid snacking - this will allow your digestive system time to rest between meals, help to balance out your hormones, and help to avoid any foods like nuts/dried fruit that can become FWOB for many.

A change in bowel habits is fairly common as your body adjusts to a new diet, particularly if it's a big departure from how you ate previously, and it should settle down over the next few days.

JMCBN - thanks for the advice.  I will drop a sausage and add more spinach tomorrow and see how it goes.  What is the best way to keep the avocado from browning - lemon juice - I just didn't think it would keep for that long.  Could you also tell me what FWOB is?  When I was reading some other post there was another one that I couldn't figure out.  For dinner tonight I tried to decrease the size - chili with an avocado (have to use them up before they go bad).  I hope to figure out the amount that I need to purchase so it doesn't become a problem with either not having the food available or it going bad too soon. Thanks again for the help.

howdy all - i posted some of this in my log but it's my thoughts from today so thought i'd share. 

I'm feeling OK w staying compliant. Was around beer and ice cream and popcorn last night and was totally fine.

Today was wacky. I don't own a car but I sometimes rent one when I have a bunch of errands or places to go. 

So today was a bunch of running around and then a girls' thing at my friend's house. 

I stayed compliant as far as food, but i certainly didn't eat enough or do template meals. 

For now, I am happy I stayed compliant. I used to just grab a frappuccino and a pastry when out running around. 

Instead today I saw they had Epic bars at Wegman's and got two. They are pretty tasty!

So I just gnawed on that when I was feeling a bit peaked. (I know we're not supposed to snack.)

I was very not prepared, but... my friend was totally cool with my need to ask about the ingredients in everything, so i had some awesome food at her house. 

I had planned on going to market this morning so last night i didn't get eggs when i was at the store getting the stuff they don't have at market, so i didn't even have hardboiled eggs today!

i will have to say... i'm SUPER surprised at how well i am able to handle not eating as compared to how i used to. 

i would feel like i was just so tired and i would reallly cranky or very hyper and unable to focus. i needed to cram carbs and sugar down my throat. 

but now, it was easier. so i'm feeling good about having days where things go awry. 

i feel kinda bad about not being prepared but i'm focusing on staying compliant. i really didn't realize how much food i was gonna eat! 

however, i think i'll do much better next weekend since i know what the pitfalls might be. 

Today was the first day the cravings showed up for me. I wanted diet soda, then wine...oh my. I picked up more fruit and veg at the grocery store and looked for bacon that would work - no dice, they all had sugar - even had a nice chat with the butcher. Ended up buying ground pork, I'll be making my own sausage for breakfast tomorrow. 

Made it through the day successfully, first hard one for me so far (yup - expecting more  B)). One thing that helped with dinner was the W30 mayo - it was creamy and very tasty, felt like an indulgence! Will have to keep some of that on hand. Very proud of myself for making that, easier than expected.

Exercise today took my mind off the soda, hubby and I rode bikes for 14.5 miles, explored a new place - it was a lot of fun.

...and tomorrow will make our first complete week!

Day 6 nearly done...just need to prep for Day 7, which is the end of my work week.

This is my second W30 and while overall I think the first week has been easier the second time around, there have definitely been struggles. I am already bored of some foods--need to incorporate more variety.  I am doing this in part to heal my gut and my gut is killing me. Not sure if this part of the process or if something I'm eating is causing the pain. My concern is that it could be the added coconut in my diet (coconut milk in morning coffee, coconut oil in cooking...)....or possibly the nuts--have been using more pecans and cashews (love cashew butter!). I will give it time. Most importantly I am paying attention...to what I eat and how it makes me feel.

JMCBN - thanks for the advice.  I will drop a sausage and add more spinach tomorrow and see how it goes.  What is the best way to keep the avocado from browning - lemon juice - I just didn't think it would keep for that long.  Could you also tell me what FWOB is?  When I was reading some other post there was another one that I couldn't figure out.  For dinner tonight I tried to decrease the size - chili with an avocado (have to use them up before they go bad).  I hope to figure out the amount that I need to purchase so it doesn't become a problem with either not having the food available or it going bad too soon. Thanks again for the help.

Cut the avocado in half and keep the half that still has the stone in & store in an airtight container - the stone keeps it from browning (this also works for home-made guac if you keep the stone in the mix until serving). I try to work it so as I eat one half in the morning & the other in the evening so its not sitting around for more than a day.

As coffeeshopgeek has said FWOB stands for Food With Out Breaks - the type of foods that encourage that kind of mindless hand to mouth eating....

I am doing this in part to heal my gut and my gut is killing me

....or possibly the nuts--have been using more pecans and cashews (love cashew butter!)....

Nuts are notoriously hard on the digestive system - I'd cut them out & see how your gut feels then.

Hello June 1 W30 Starters! My first post to the forum Thanks to ALL of you who share your insights, challenges, and high fives! I have been tuning in and it's helpful to know I'm not alone... That we all share common experiences. TODAY is DAY 7 which feels like a milestone day to me. I took a minute to think about the past week and what I've learned about myself.

Here are seven insights as I move into Day 7:

1) I'm MADLY obsessed with the scale. The scale calls me more than food even! I am constantly telling myself "I will not weigh!" (And I WON'T) but the message is clear: I put too much value in a number.

2) I'm CRABBY. I have a little bit of bitchy to work through - I'm hoping cleaner eating will lead to more peaceful thinking

3) I'm still a little mindless between meals (nuts, raisins, fruit) I will be conscious about snacking this coming week.

4) I'm afraid to eat food not prepped by me.

5) I need to start moving. I've been pretty achy all week. Blamed it on detox, but a little exercise would help.

6) Cooking all our meals TAKES TIME! Need to start implementing some time saving techniques. (How clear it is how dependent we've become on letting corporations do our cooking)

7) My Non Scale Victory: The morning of Day 5, my sinuses cleared! I was breathing cool air through my NOSE! Woot!

Would love to hear if any of you relate to above and welcome your comments! Have a GREAT Day 7!! ❤

My NSV (Non Scale Victory)s are: also much less stuffy in the nose, also less asthmatic feeling in the chest! In addition, I can feel my energy slowly increasing. I'm more able to do stuff around the house that would have required many breaks and much recovery, but I'm actually fine! 

My mind is getting clearer and my choices are getting stronger. My housemate is eating the food I'm eating, but he's not "doing" the W30 because he still wants to have drinks. I realized last night that I'm putting a higher value on getting good sleep, so I was only VERY SLIGHTLY tempted by cocktails last night, and the temptation was easy to resist. I felt so proud! 

I would love to hear anyone else's NSV, they're so inspiring! 

Todays Glimpse of our W30 Future:

A visitor with a few problems might come to your door in search of advice and sympathy, Gemini. He or she might also have some other news that could shock you. A professional crisis might make it necessary for you or your partner to spend most of the day away from home and family. This could be frustrating, particularly if you have to cancel plans. Hang in there!

Welcome brownhs, perhaps you are the visitor mentioned in our June babies horoscope this morning, LOL!  If so, we need to rush in with some advice and sympathy!  I can totally relate to the terror of eating something I didn't prep.  I had a close one yesterday when my wonderful sister, in an attempt to be both supportive and treat me, was halfway through ordering an unsweetened iced coffee with coconut milk along with her caramel macchiato.  I realized she wasn't getting two coffees for herself and jumped in to frantically whisper "I don't know what is in their coconut milk!?!"  Google search later proves I was right to be leery. 

Grocery shopping, which being I'm single and a foodie, used to be FUN is now a trial.  I know this will get better, but I do believe I got half my exercise yesterday from "pick it up, read the label, set it down and a one, two, three, and breeeeaaath"

I will admit, I'm keeping my eyes open for NSV's but I don't know that I have any to report yet other than the fact that I am eating more variety than before just by sticking to the plan.  I made it a full week of being to work on time due to getting up in the morning to cook.  That could be a sign of mornings getting easier already.

And Ruby, really?!  Successful Mayo AND homemade sausage?  Can you just adopt me for the rest of the month?  I'm still eyeing my ingredients with trepidation after last weeks mayo fiasco.  But it is on my work order for today.  I can't be known as that one girl who can't make mayo. 

Crimsann you can totally make mayo. You got this!!

Also, 1. getting up early to cook and 2. being on time to work every day? THOSE ARE NON SCALE VICTORIES! Congrats!!!!!!! 

re: finding compliant stuff....you might be making your life too complicated if you're buying a lot of things with a lot of ingredients? IMO shopping is hecka easier when it's just produce and fresh meat/eggs in your cart. 

Everyone who's on Day 7 or beyond, we made it a week! Everyone who's just coming on board, welcome, you can dooooo it! 

Hi, I started on June 1st too. I have enjoyed reading the posts on this thread and would love to join you.

One strange thing I have noticed the last few days is that I have been reaching for my reading glasses far more than often and feel my near sight is definitely worse than usual. I have searched the forum and there is other accounts of this, but was wondering if anyone else has noticed this on day 6/7 ?

Archived