Start date June 1

Elissa W

Hello June Whole30 Friends,

So here we are day 7. I am pretty proud of myself.... I went on Vacation to beautiful Lake Tahoe and even GOT ENGAGED! I stayed totally compliant.  I even celebrated with Mineral water w a few berries muddled in. I am feeling better, however I notice a few things that get to me....

1. The scale.... I want to jump on the scale SO BAD

2. The smell of Rocky Mountain Chocolate Co. when I walked in the mall to get my ring sized. HOW DARE THEY EXIST right now.

3. What I miss most, coffee creamer. NO JOKE. I miss it more than anything else. I have been using coconut milk, even with a little cinnamon, its just not the same for me.

BUT! YAY US! We have made it 7 whole days! 21 to go :)

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone!  I'm going to do my day 7 check-in as well :) Thanks all for continuing to post as I like to come on here and read others' posts and thoughts, especially if I am struggling to know I'm not alone (I am completing the whole 30 Han Solo in a house full of others who are not)!

I'm happy we reached day 7 - feels like a milestone day to me as well - onwards and upwards!  The things I've missed the most are my oatmeal (used to have it every morning), gum (I am a notorious gum chewer), and chocolate ;-) but I am happy to be able to challenge myself and give them up for a good, healthy reason and I do believe the more I go without them, the less I will feel I "need" them as a part of my regular diet.  I also feel more energized than I did previously (I was feeling incredibly exhausted earlier in the week) and able to stick to my workout/lifting regime, which makes me happy.

Yesterday, my biggest struggle was emotional - I figured I would post in case anyone else could relate to it.  I've found myself linking eating to emotions in the same way Melissa and Dallas Hartwig talk about in ISWF and I've challenged myself to always combat those feelings.  Yes, now especially while doing the whole 30 because any foods I "want" to reach for when I feel upset are surely not compliant, but also beyond this 30-day challenge.  I once read that you should never "eat how you feel" (and the author had said something because if she ate how she felt, she would constantly eat like an 8-year-old little boy, i.e., cookies, candy, pizza, etc. ;-)).  The point is that, sometimes, our emotions betray us and can make us "think" or "feel" like what we'll eat is going to solve the root of the problem when in fact (as we all know anyway) - it won't.  Anyway, I've been repeating that to myself when things get particularly heavy in other parts of my life so as to help me stay on track.  So far, so good - I am confident and excited for the next 21 days!  We can do this together :)

Happy Sunday, everyone!

Today was a big victory for me. After church we always go out for brunch, and today we went to my favorite brunch buffet. I was temped by the cheesy potatoes and the super thick maple bacon but I didn't give in. I had a salad but no dressing because they didn't have any compliant, veggie omelet after I was assured they were using plain eggs no milk or pancake batter in them, and some fresh fruit. I felt very proud of myself today, yeah me!! This was my first meal out and now I feel better that I can handle going out once in a while. feel so much better than I did a week ago.

Yep on board..already seeing a differences in my thoughts of food, my stress level is almost at zero, calmer at home and really in tune, never before.. So excited, already in a size smaller jean.woohoo☺️☺️LOVE IT

6) Cooking all our meals TAKES TIME! Need to start implementing some time saving techniques. (How clear it is how dependent we've become on letting corporations do our cooking)

7) My Non Scale Victory: The morning of Day 5, my sinuses cleared! I was breathing cool air through my NOSE! Woot!

Would love to hear if any of you relate to above and welcome your comments! Have a GREAT Day 7!! ❤

I hear that! I remember hearing Michael Pollen say that if they could, corporations would try to digest our food too! If I'm caught out and need to buy my lunch or something, it makes me really grumpy thinking about how much more I have to pay to get actual FOOD, as opposed to junk that would keep me full till I get home.

And, congrats on the Non Scale Victory :) My NSV is that my skin is clear again. I know dairy isn't great for me from previous W39s but I didn't know how much (or had deliberately forgotten..?) it messes with my skin. Cheese and I may have broken up, I fear. It was a dysfunctional relationship but I will need time to grieve!

Yep on board..already seeing a differences in my thoughts of food, my stress level is almost at zero, calmer at home and really in tune, never before.. So excited, already in a size smaller jean.woohoo☺️☺️LOVE IT, after reading the forum which is so helpfu (thanks), I can relate to everyone, I'm sold.......

cmac

I love reading about all the victories you all have attained this past week. I am glad week one is over and I am looking forward to week two. I believe I have a much better handle on preparing my meals for this coming week. Thank you all for sharing this journey. A special thanks for the ground turkey recipes everyone. Have a great week everyone.

My NSV relates to running.  I did my first long run on plan yesterday, 12 miles.  I had to walk part of it, which I don't normally do.  I had moments where I felt I could totally rock it and then dips where I thought I shouldn't have even tried...  but I let myself walk when I needed to and I finished it.  The Victory party comes later.  Typically after a long run if I sat down for 1/2 hour or more, sedentary, I was like an old granny getting up.  Back hunched and sore, and the first few steps were so painful.  I had NONE of that this time.  I even jogged across the yard to move a sprinkler and not get sprayed.  No pain, just the sweet feel of muscle contraction! 

Sadly, even with that revelation I saw some junk food in the kitchen that my Hubby had pulled out of my "out of sight out of mind" hiding place and I went through some turmoil convincing myself that I really DIDN'T want it.  But alas, I resisted either way, so that was good. 

Keep on posting those NSV's everyone!  so encouraging!!!   :rolleyes:

I'm going to try to type this up a bit more formally and put in the cooking section, but i just made the most AMAZING dish. 

I've decided to call it Sneaky Sautee because it sneaks in a bunch of veg. 

Everything mentioned is compliant:

I sauteed about 1/4 c onion,  1 TB garlic, 2 slices turkey bacon chopped up, 1 italian chicken sausage,  some frozen spinach (about 1/3 cup frozen), and a little more than cup of a cherry toms cut in half. Sauteed all in olive oil. 

Then tossed in about 1.5 -2 cups of spaghetti squash. 

Topped with toasted pine nuts and a bit of parsley. 

I cannot believe how much like spaghetti that tasted. It was AWESOME. 

I actually ate that entire pile of food. 

So, if you're hankering for some Italian food, there ya go! Once the squash and bacon was cooked, i think the whole thing took maybe 15 minutes? 

And about 15 seconds to eat...

Love reading about the NSV's!  I had a small one today - every 6 months the Greek Orthodox church in my neighborhood has a Greek Festival and it was this weekend and my daughter and I love to get dinner at the festival!  My 16 year old daughter was diagnosed with cancer over two years ago and she has been in the hospital every time they held it, but since she has been in remission March she has been home and the festival was this weekend.  I was able to go and not eat anything - it was enough to see her enjoying the food! 

I feel the same as others about the time of food prep and eating only what I make.  I have come to realize that I haven't been really cooking but instead just heating up food.  I'm hoping that I will enjoy it more as time goes on. 

I hope everyone is doing well.

A few others have posted about having more energy. 

I kept waiting to feel like, super jazzed and crazy. However, I've noticed it's manifested unexpectedly. 

For example, usually when I get up in the morning, I stumble over to the bathroom to pee and then stumble back to bed, just dragging and knowing there's so much to do and not knowing how I'm gonna do any of it. 

Today, my normal sleep in day, on my way back from the bathroom, I stopped to switch out the laundry. Let me tell you the number of times that has happened in my life. I didn't even think about it. I just saw something that had to be done and did it. 

I find it so much easier to clean for more than 5 minutes at a time. I don't have to force myself. It feels like less of a struggle with myself. 

I'm really starting to wonder how much of my diet was making me foggy which was getting diagnosed as depression. I was on various medications for various things over the last 10 years, but stopped everything in January. I've been feeling better since then, but this most recent change is the change I was looking for from medication. I'm bolding that because it was not a change I was expecting. I've always associated "energy" with "caffeinated" or "yet another ADHD medication they're giving me"... this is different. This is the deep-seated, gentle, calm energy I've been looking for. I still have some issues with my anxiety, but it's way, way, way easier to deal with lately. 

Also, my joints don't ache. To be honest, I didn't really noticed they ached at all until they weren't and I was like, oh, that's interesting. 

So there's some NSV for sure!

(ps Not knocking meds or ADHD or anything - ADHD is often misdiagnosed in girls/women. And there are many people who need meds. I still have "as needed" medication for my anxiety.)

I just prepped some mayo and roasted red pepper sauce. The RP sauce recipe from the W30 cookbook is absolutely delicious! I recommend it! Then I combined the two (1/4 RPsauce, 3/4 mayo) and it was all delicious! I'm drooling right now just thinking about it!

Hi all,

Starting my extra long work week.  Taking extra shifts to cover vacations and I'm on-call too.  We will be working short staffed, so the days will be hard.

I'm stocked with food and hoping the week goes by quickly  :)

I may not check in very much this week, but I hope everyone has a great one!

So, I read that potatoes were deemed "okay" but is anyone adding them into your daily meals???

All potatoes are now fine during a whole30. I eat some variety or other on an almost daily basis. Starchy veg in general will help with energy levels, help your moods remain stable, and will help with the transition from sugary foods to a more nutritious diet. 

Hi all. Hope you don't mind me jumping in midway through. :)

I started on June 1. This is my fourth attempt at a Whole30 (had 2 successful ones previously). My last attempt was a year ago, and I think I had too much going on in my life to focus on what I was eating. I was moving, and driving to see my husband (7 hours away), and I was just miserable.

So, while I have even more going on in my life now (but at least I'm not facing an out-of-state move), I'm in a better place mentally to complete my W30.

My first week was ok. I was bone-tired and brain-foggy all week, even with eating enough carbs. Eating veggies and protein come naturally to me, but I have to be on guard about fat.I've started paying attention to my fat intake and making sure it's sufficient.

Had my prep day yesterday, and to help with the fat intake, I made mayo, and from that made Awesome Sauce and Russian Dressing, both from Well Fed 2. The Awesome Sauce really is awesome -- I topped my fried sardine salad with it last night. :) I have a quick meal ready to throw together tonight (Mondays are my busy night, with about 30 minutes at home before violin lessons and game night): tuna salad and fresh veggies.

Looking forward to getting to know y'all and celebrate hitting 30 days. :)

Hey everyone!! 

Yesterday was my worst eating day...I had no appetite.  I've been doing pretty well so far but I am sick of cooking and eating what I can have.  BUT I'm committed and know this will pass.  Today will be better. 

WEEEEEEK TWO!!!!

And a huge virtual hug to everyone who made it through that weekend.  Plus, the long promised screenshot of Crimsann in one of her superhero "costumes" to kick the week off with.

crimsanndragon.jpg

Our June Start words for the day are all about getting creative, which is a timely message in my opinion:

Skip the staid, business side of things today. Instead, focus on the creative aspects of your life. Listening to music, cooking up an ambitious meal or even dancing around your bedroom is a great way to liven up the day and improve your mood. Creating something new is easier than ever, so don't be surprised if a tune pops into your head and refuses to leave, or if your mindless doodling results in some breathtaking images. All your inner ideas are itching to come out.

I can't wait to hear what ambitious meals get cooked up today!  I know my weekend prep felt like it took twice as long as last weekend and I still can't quite figure out why, but it might be the time I spent doing some more cleaning and organizing.  That and chopping.  I took on a monster pile of carrots to make roasted carrots, I know the richest flavor comes from "real" carrots even if that means a mountain of carrot peels and the baby carrots are generally easier. 

To answer the question about potatoes, yes!  I did eat white potatoes last week.  I tried making my mashed potatoes with coconut milk and was surprised how well they reheated without the sour cream/cream cheese I used to add.  I ate them with a crock-pot meal I made consisting of frozen chicken breasts topped with W30 compliant sauerkraut (let cook on low 8 hours, very moist and tender chicken with lots of flavor.)  I also used leftover mashed potato, an ice cream scoop onto an oiled griddle, flattened, and let brown on both sides to make a small potato cake.  I piled my eggs and veggies on top of that for a larger breakfast over the weekend when I knew I was going to have a long stretch between meals. 

I had deliberately decided on eating them after reading that getting in some starchy vegetable was a good idea midday which is a critical meal for me and especially for my first week I wanted to have something that felt normal in the mix.  This week I am switching to red potato and sweet potato options primarily for more variety and different nutrients but I will go back and forth as different meal plans warrant.  I'm not eating them in place of a vegetable in my meal, so I'm eating less at a time than I might have before, and I'm not planning to eat some kind of potato every day but they are definitely not off my plate.

Thanks again to everyone who posted tips on mayo...I'm pleased to report that this weeks effort was much, much more the thing!  The horrible color is gone, and the consistency is even better.  I still want to tweak the taste a bit, but I found a recipe that claimed to be a riff on Hellman's and I used that as the base for mine except I didn't have the right mustard or white pepper to do the whole thing.  Compared to the recipe I see most quoted, it had less oil and less lemon and was specifically for an immersion blender so was really quick to make.  I'm going to spice this batch up and try the base again next weekend with all the right ingredients. 

I made it through the weekend!!

My weekend included a last-minute trip to NYC. Previously I would have made the weekend all about food (gelato, dim sum, bagels and lox, pasta - okay you get the picture), but this trip I made sure we focused on non-food experiences which ironically led to amazing food experiences that I never would have had before.

- in Chinatown, I ate a whole steamed flounder (it still had its head on!) with fresh ginger and baby bok choy (and the waiter was so attentive and concerned to make sure the dish was just what I wanted)

- I had the best coffee in my life, iced and black - which I never would have ordered before

- in Little Italy, I had the most amazing red snapper with tomatoes and basil sauteed in olive oil (I had to pout a LITTLE over the missed red wine and fresh baked bread).

- I searched "paleo NYC" and found a local farm-to-table restaurant chain where we had a great lunch on Saturday

Plus, walked 5 miles on Friday and 8 miles on Saturday (not including walking through one Museum) - and for the first time I never experienced the mid-afternoon hangry/exhausted/"get me some food" crash that I have in the past.

I'm not saying this trip was easy - but it was perfect :)

Onward we go to crush Week 2!

Hey all, well done on reaching week 2! Yay us!

Today is a tough day for me, I am feeling hungry and not relishing the pork chop and cauli rice I've got for dinner though it's one of my favourite dishes. I have the type of hunger today that I would normally have sated with some toast and butter :-(

I know part of the problem is I am so busy this week with work and worked all weekend so I'm limited with how much I have prepared, need to spend an hour tonight catching up with food for the week!

The weekend wasnt so great. Sat I had scrambled eggs for breakfast, 3 tuna cakes for lunch, later on I had some nuts, and late at night had a little bit of butternut squash soup. On Sunday I has an egg with carnitas for breakfast. I ate carnitas with a salad for lunch and munched on some spicy plantain chips. I unfortunately went a little crazy with the plantain chips. I realized I had to stop and throw them away or else I would probably finish the bag :( No more plantain chips for me! I got sick after that. I think the plantains didnt sit well with me so I didnt have dinner. I dont know what else could have affected my stomach.

This morning I still feel ill. I brought some butternut squash soup and tuna cakes for breakfast but I didnt finish my meal. I hope I feel better soon.

I was craving a cup cake and ice cream last night (because I was it in a movie). Thankfully the craving did not last. ive noticed that I get cravings but they are gone like 5 min later. This is important to me because when I crave/want something, i will drive anywhere to get it. 

Week 1 was easier than I expected. I'm going out of town this weekend so I have a lot of meal planning ahead.

Archived