Start date June 1

Elissa W

I started June 1 and am still feeling low energy and pretty spaced out.  The second week was much harder for me.  How is everyone else on the Jun 1 start date doing????

I am pretty much feeling the same. I am not sure if maybe I am not eating enough or not drinking enough water.... but today especially I just feel out of it.

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I am pretty much feeling the same. I am not sure if maybe I am not eating enough or not drinking enough water.... but today especially I just feel out of it.

If you post a couple of days' worth of food, including approximate serving sizes based on the meal template, maybe we can help you figure out what's going on.

If you post a couple of days' worth of food, including approximate serving sizes based on the meal template, maybe we can help you figure out what's going on.

As I look at it again I know I am not eating enough.... probably not drinking enough water and it almost time for my monthly reminder that I am not pregnant LOL.

I felt fantastic last week....I had more energy... my clothes are even loose! I am still very excited about the next 14 days. I am really looking forward to making collard greens! yum yum. 

Hi there fellow June 1st-ers! I am also on Day 15 and just found your wonderful thread... wish I'd found you all sooner. I have been thoroughly enjoying reading every one of your posts, and am so happy to find a place to give and receive support! I am flying solo with the Whole30, so it's nice to find a place to connect with others who understand the journey and are in the same boat (and on the same timeline).

I've experienced many of the same things you guys have posted... the NSVs, as well as the challenges in staying compliant, motivated, focused and prepared. Thank you all for sharing your experiences here and taking the time to lend support to others, it has been so helpful and inspiring already (and the recipe suggestions are awesome!).

Week 1: a weird mix of euphoria episodes, headaches, uber thirst, food LOVE, kill all things, eye fatigue, and the joy of no cravings (ah!!).

Week 2: lots of headaches (maybe just from reading the forum all the time, lol), minor food boredom, and ("ahem") elimination issues.

My NSVs so far include; no more stomach aches (had them daily before), more even-keeled energy throughout the day, new relationship with food, fun with cooking, major awareness of former snacking addiction (even though I usually chose "healthy" snacks), lighter spirit.

I'll be checking in here regularly... plan to ROCK the next 15 days!! Thank you all!

I have energy today! Actual energy! Yesterday too! Finally!

(And I think I just used my year's quota of exclamation points. :P )

I think my too-tight pants are no longer too tight. Not by much, but a little, so that's a NSV for me. 

One of the things I've done to help with food boredom is make "fancy" mayos. Creamy Italian dressing, awesome sauce, remoulade, whatever. It can dress up a 'boring' meal and make it just enough different from the last time I read it that I'm (sort of) excited to eat it.

@misshannah well said! Love your statement about eating taste.

@snapgirl great tip. You could be right about Mayo

Now that I am eliminating fruit but mixes and bars, almost feel like this is Round Two for me. Ready to dive in again and clean things up for the final half!

Tomorrow I'm making "oatmeal" out of nuts and coconut milk....

I'd be interested to hear what you plan to do with it. Whilst technically compliant it's not really in keeping with the spirit of Whole30 in that you're re-creating an old food, plus it strays ever so slightly from the meal template of proteins, fats & veg - kind of SWYPO territory in my opinion. You might want to keep this one until the end of your 30 days...

Hi there fellow June 1st-ers! I am also on Day 15 and just found your wonderful thread... wish I'd found you all sooner. I have been thoroughly enjoying reading every one of your posts, and am so happy to find a place to give and receive support! I am flying solo with the Whole30, so it's nice to find a place to connect with others who understand the journey and are in the same boat (and on the same timeline).

I've experienced many of the same things you guys have posted... the NSVs, as well as the challenges in staying compliant, motivated, focused and prepared. Thank you all for sharing your experiences here and taking the time to lend support to others, it has been so helpful and inspiring already (and the recipe suggestions are awesome!).

Week 1: a weird mix of euphoria episodes, headaches, uber thirst, food LOVE, kill all things, eye fatigue, and the joy of no cravings (ah!!).

Week 2: lots of headaches (maybe just from reading the forum all the time, lol), minor food boredom, and ("ahem") elimination issues.

My NSVs so far include; no more stomach aches (had them daily before), more even-keeled energy throughout the day, new relationship with food, fun with cooking, major awareness of former snacking addiction (even though I usually chose "healthy" snacks), lighter spirit.

I'll be checking in here regularly... plan to ROCK the next 15 days!! Thank you all!

Welcome vozelle!  This really is a great thread with lots of amazing people.  

Today I'm so thankful for the Whole30 forum! My mom gave me a call this morning, and they want to have DH and I over for supper tomorrow night. She knows we're doing W30, so she asked what we could have, and we were able to put together a menu that would be good for everyone, but that would also be Whole30 compliant. We decided on plain grilled burgers w/ salt and pepper, onions fried in olive oil, baked potatoes, salad w/ avocadoes, fresh veggies and hard-boiled eggs, and some sort of vegetable. The only things I have to bring are clarified butter and our own salad dressing. If I hadn't read about how people deal with going to restaurants, I don't know if I would have come up with that as easily! 

Hey Rhed, you can borrow some of my extra exclamations!  I never over use those!  LOL!

The stars seem to be speaking to us again today as we face the week most notorious for food boredom...so if you needed some celestial wisdom on exploring your choices within our compliant list of food...here you go!

If you're all tangled up in your thoughts now, remember that curiosity is a common Gemini trait and you need to play out all the alternatives before narrowing it down to just one. However, the inquisitive Gemini New Moon prompts you to obsess over irrelevant details. It's natural to feel a bit lost in your own mental maze, but you're perfectly safe and exactly where you need to be today. Ruthlessly exploring every option available empowers you to make the best choice for your future.

This morning is starting out as a bit of a barrage, people just seem disinclined to have their problems in a neat and chronological order and will insist on all melting down at once.  Meanwhile my vacationing co-worker is emailing me photo's of a complete stranger at a gas station wearing a kilt trying to claim he looks a bit like Jamie from "Outlander"...so not the case.  But this did remind me of something I wanted to ask the group.  I've seen a couple of you mention books as a non-food treat, so I know we have a couple of readers.  I personally don't have a lot of spare time for actual books anymore, but am a complete addict of Audible for listening to them while I work/drive/walk/breath...and thus keep my reading count pretty high.

So...what are you reading during your Whole 30 aside from The Books about the program?  Have you been distracting yourself with something light and fun, or reading for inspiration?  Did you get something new or reach for an old favorite?  I've completed three so far during my Whole 30 that worked for where I was in the timeline pretty well.

I started with "An Unwelcome Quest" by Scott Meyer during my first week knowing that if I ended up being cranky I would need some serious humor.  The title alone, taken out of context, kind of made me grin.  Unfortunately this is the third in a series and while by far the funniest to me, you might need some gaming background to get the most out of just how funny it is, and it wouldn't hurt to have read the first two, so it may not be one I would suggest for everyone. 

During Week 2, while I personally was battling a cold and struggling for different reasons than some, I was reading "The Martian" by Andy Weir which is possibly for space nerds and can be a bit of an emotional ride but is really inspiring.  I think it's a quirky story about survival, not giving up in impossible situations and keeping your sense of humor, learning to make a lot out of what you have, and if you think YOU have a limited diet....you must read this account of an astronaut stranded on Mars.  I would recommend this one for pretty much anyone unless language is something that would bother you, it's not littered with obscenities though you may think so from the first lines, but he does lose his cool a couple of times.  You will also need to tread through some serious science jargon to get to where the story takes off but it's so worth it and so fascinating if you have any interest in space travel.  He also breaks it down so you get exactly what all that jargon means to his situation...usually that he is in trouble again! 

And now kicking off Week 3 I'm reading an odd little thriller(?) called "The Kind Worth Killing" by Peter Swanson which starts out with a very similar premise to "Strangers on a Train" but goes in some twisty directions.   As I'm only halfway through it's hard to review, but I can say there has already been one nearly unheard of plot upheaval so I can only imagine where the story heads in the second half.  Tons of twists and surprises are just about right for distraction this week.

Not to plug Audible as there are other platforms for audio books including borrowing from your library, but I do want to say that an audio book can really help wile away long hours in the kitchen.  If that's something that is wearing you out maybe try listening to a good book while you cook and clean, it's entertaining and totally hands free.  I'm betting we could come up with some great recommendations!

We just got ISWF and TW30 as well as "Well Fed" the week before we started our W30, so I have been perusing those. Additionally, I started the "Left Behind" series a couple of months ago, and just started book 6, "Assassins" last night. I have somewhat eclectic tastes in reading, including Tom Clancy and christian fiction, and this series is a good blend of those two. I also own all of the Mrs. Pollifax books, and when I need light reading to help me fall asleep, I pick up one of those, so just recently reread "Mrs. Pollifax on the China Station." I might have to look into a couple of the ones you've read, Crimsann. My adult children are all avid readers, and the boys (well, they are 26 and 29 - I suppose I can call them men - but they will always be kids to me) are gamers and fantasy lovers, so I can see them being interested in "An Unwelcome Quest" and "The Martian". Thanks for the recommendations!

We just got ISWF and TW30 as well as "Well Fed" the week before we started our W30, so I have been perusing those. Additionally, I started the "Left Behind" series a couple of months ago, and just started book 6, "Assassins" last night. I have somewhat eclectic tastes in reading, including Tom Clancy and christian fiction, and this series is a good blend of those two. I also own all of the Mrs. Pollifax books, and when I need light reading to help me fall asleep, I pick up one of those, so just recently reread "Mrs. Pollifax on the China Station." I might have to look into a couple of the ones you've read, Crimsann. My adult children are all avid readers, and the boys (well, they are 26 and 29 - I suppose I can call them men - but they will always be kids to me) are gamers and fantasy lovers, so I can see them being interested in "An Unwelcome Quest" and "The Martian". Thanks for the recommendations!

You bet!  I've always enjoyed Mrs. Pollifax also, they were some of the very first audio books I listened to, long before I became such a fan of the medium.  Our local library had a plentiful supply of those.  It's been a very long time since I read either of these but I remember thinking that the Agatha Raisin series were in a similar vein.  Could just be the odd way I sometimes make connections though.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agatha_Raisin

(One side note, for "An Unwelcome Quest"...I would push your "kids" towards audio on that one if possible only because the narrator does these way over the top voices for the characters which really adds an entire extra level of humor that I'm not sure would come across as clearly in print.  The first two in that series are also good, though the second one is a bit of a brain bender, but it was book three that had me really laughing out loud.) 

I scored some compliant marinara sauce at Earth Fare (I know I could totally make it myself...but it's so awesome to find a convenient prepared sauce that I can add to the rotation).

I made Melissa's Chicken Hash from the Whole30 book - I can honestly say I've never tasted a flavor combo like that before (spicy, sweet, sour) and my (non-Whole30) husband loved it.

I've started following the Whole30recipes Instagram account (which I found via the Whole30 instagram account) and OH MY GOODNESS there are some amazing recipes on there I need to try. This morning's Cauliflower & Bacon breakfast saute made my mouth water!

I've started planning for two potluck cookouts coming up at the end of the month. Tis the season for cookouts!

Not to plug Audible as there are other platforms for audio books including borrowing from your library, but I do want to say that an audio book can really help wile away long hours in the kitchen.  If that's something that is wearing you out maybe try listening to a good book while you cook and clean, it's entertaining and totally hands free.  I'm betting we could come up with some great recommendations!

In addition to audiobooks I highly recommend podcasts if anyone is so inclined. I listen to a number of great podcasts including Happier (lifestyle changes), 99% Invisible (stories about design in our environments) plus stuff like This American Life and some movie podcasts. I LOVE them. Makes chores and cooking a breeze. 

@Efab - thanks for that reminder about Instagram ::face palm::, I meant to do that ages ago and forgot until you brought it up.  That has to be an excellent source of new ideas and I need to scour it looking for things to spice up my meal plan for next week.  I've checked out a couple blogs, but I get bogged down (blogged down?!) in going through so many well intentioned but long winded posts to find recipes.  Quick photo hits might be much more effective!

@Efab - thanks for that reminder about Instagram ::face palm::, I meant to do that ages ago and forgot until you brought it up.  That has to be an excellent source of new ideas and I need to scour it looking for things to spice up my meal plan for next week.  I've checked out a couple blogs, but I get bogged down (blogged down?!) in going through so many well intentioned but long winded posts to find recipes.  Quick photo hits might be much more effective!

Have you checked out Nom Nom Paleo? She has some good stuff, but you do have to make sure the recipe is compliant - but a fair amount of it is. :-)

I think for me the food boredom is more about having to reheat almost all of my meals. Nothing has been fresh, with rare exceptions for breakfast, in the past week. So vegetables are wilted, chicken is dryer, steak is tougher...my rhythm for all of this has been off since things got nuts at work simultaneously while my husband is away on business and trying to wrangle 3 kids under the age of 4. My only way to keep up is to eat things I tossed in the freezer or leftovers in the fridge otherwise I'd miss a meal. I'm looking forward to find balance again once my husband returns so it's not all on my shoulders (plus I'm a lousy cook).

I think for me the food boredom is more about having to reheat almost all of my meals. Nothing has been fresh, with rare exceptions for breakfast, in the past week. So vegetables are wilted, chicken is dryer, steak is tougher...my rhythm for all of this has been off since things got nuts at work simultaneously while my husband is away on business and trying to wrangle 3 kids under the age of 4. My only way to keep up is to eat things I tossed in the freezer or leftovers in the fridge otherwise I'd miss a meal. I'm looking forward to find balance again once my husband returns so it's not all on my shoulders (plus I'm a lousy cook).

I can so relate to this!  Well...not the part about husband and kids, though let me tell you cooking for one and not getting bored of dishes is an entirely different challenge.  The one thing I am loving about the way they discuss meal building is the "make it as you go and throw whatever sounds good in", when I can cook, it's been nice to use up odds and ends of something fresh and not to always make pot-luck sized meals and eat on them forever (or twice and then throw it out.)  That mindset is going to help me a good bit going forward.

What I can relate to though is the reheated meals.  Since I have to pack two of mine through the week, I've been doing one large meal on Sunday that I pack for lunches through the week.  Not getting sick to death of it by Friday is a challenge and few things taste as good reheated even the first time.  Gummy sweet potato chips anyone?!  UGH! 

Mostly, I'm like you and powering through it, it's fuel...get it down, but I don't like thinking about food that way either.  I get enjoying something to the point that it controls me is bad, but eating something that makes me miserable can't be any more healthy long term right?!  Not sure I have the solution, though I am playing around with trying to cook foods by themselves as much as possible so I can mix them up a little and adjust for the week.  Pulled pork was great, the cilantro lime mayo wasn't quite right with it and just serving it over lettuce kind of bland, so today I skipped the mayo and added a small sprinkle of chopped cashew thinking a little crunch and some salt might work...not too bad but it got lost in the taste of the pork.  Tomorrow I might try some salsa in my mayo for a spicier "sauce" to dollop on instead.  Even little swaps help keep it somewhat new.  Maybe by Friday I will find the magic combination?

It's made me appreciate the time I do spend when I get home and can cook my last meal, and it has made me appreciate breakfast more as well...the meals I can have hot and fresh even if it's steam broccoli are suddenly glittery in comparison to lunch!  Man, it may be eggs again, but at least they are cooked just the way I like and piping hot!

I have not seen or felt any NSV :(. My clothing is still tight, I'm actually breaking out more than usual, and my energy level has not increased. I am eating protein, veggies and a small amount of fat in every meal. Im not feeling better as i proceed with my Whole30 plan. I usually don't eat fruit but I have been eating with my breakfast and/or lunch lately. Should I cut it out? I have been having lots of cravings for chocolate and sweets but have not given in to temptation.

Any suggestions and motivations? 

I have not seen or felt any NSV :(. My clothing is still tight, I'm actually breaking out more than usual, and my energy level has not increased. I am eating protein, veggies and a small amount of fat in every meal. Im not feeling better as i proceed with my Whole30 plan. I usually don't eat fruit but I have been eating with my breakfast and/or lunch lately. Should I cut it out? I have been having lots of cravings for chocolate and sweets but have not given in to temptation.

Any suggestions and motivations? 

Eating fruit will certainly keep any sugar cravings alive, and may well cause low energy if you're eating it on it's own. And nuts can cause skin out-breaks, as can the BPA used in the lining of the tins of certain coconut milk...

Can you post a few days worth of your food/liquid intake along with activity/sleep/stress levels to see if there's anything we can tweak to make things better for you?

Archived