Start date June 1

Elissa W

I have not seen or felt any NSV :(. My clothing is still tight, I'm actually breaking out more than usual, and my energy level has not increased. I am eating protein, veggies and a small amount of fat in every meal. Im not feeling better as i proceed with my Whole30 plan. I usually don't eat fruit but I have been eating with my breakfast and/or lunch lately. Should I cut it out? I have been having lots of cravings for chocolate and sweets but have not given in to temptation.

Any suggestions and motivations?

Hi Nanda

Jmcbn is a moderator

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today has been awful!  I felt full and nauseous on and off all day after breakfast and ate a super late lunch because I was hoping I would get hungry (and I didn't...) so I ate it anyway to try to stay on schedule.  I always go straight to the gym after work but my body felt so terrible that I had to go home and lie down - the worst part has been aching ALL over - headache, stomach ache, back ache (upper and lower), into my legs and hips area.  I thought maybe I had a fever but I took my temperature and it's not that.  I am a creature of habit so, for the most part, except for mixing my spices/dinners up here and there, I am eating the same thing I've been eating all throughout whole 30.  Has anyone experienced this kind of aching?  Or know of any reason this could be happening?  Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

One more thing that just happened and I apologize in advance for feeling like a negative Nancy on here today, but I was talking to someone about how I'm feeling today and they asked questions about what I am doing (this whole30) and I was trying to explain and they basically criticized me and the plan for multiple reasons, blaming it for how I feel, saying I shouldn't keep going.  I just feel frustrated because in the emails and everything, it seems like other people are getting complimented for being so dedicated and strong and supported by the people around them.  I want that, too, so I came on here because I knew y'all would understand.  And I wanted to tell anyone reading who has stuck with us/with this so far that I'm proud of you even if I don't really know you - just in case no one in your life has told you yet - and that if you want to keep going, by all means, KEEP going.  We are doing this for ourselves and at the end of the day, the only person we can control is the one we see looking back at us in the mirror.  It takes guts, dedication, bravery, and a lot of gumption to stand up for yourself and take charge of your health and nutrition in such a drastic way as this program.  I want to keep going and am trying to trust that things will feel better soon and these aches and pains are just some things my body has to work out for whatever reason.  Any advice would be appreciated though if anyone has had similar feelings :) Thanks again.

• Moderators

Today has been awful!  I felt full and nauseous on and off all day after breakfast and ate a super late lunch because I was hoping I would get hungry (and I didn't...) so I ate it anyway to try to stay on schedule.  I always go straight to the gym after work but my body felt so terrible that I had to go home and lie down - the worst part has been aching ALL over - headache, stomach ache, back ache (upper and lower), into my legs and hips area.  I thought maybe I had a fever but I took my temperature and it's not that.  I am a creature of habit so, for the most part, except for mixing my spices/dinners up here and there, I am eating the same thing I've been eating all throughout whole 30.  Has anyone experienced this kind of aching?  Or know of any reason this could be happening?  Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

One more thing that just happened and I apologize in advance for feeling like a negative Nancy on here today, but I was talking to someone about how I'm feeling today and they asked questions about what I am doing (this whole30) and I was trying to explain and they basically criticized me and the plan for multiple reasons, blaming it for how I feel, saying I shouldn't keep going.  I just feel frustrated because in the emails and everything, it seems like other people are getting complimented for being so dedicated and strong and supported by the people around them.  I want that, too, so I came on here because I knew y'all would understand.  And I wanted to tell anyone reading who has stuck with us/with this so far that I'm proud of you even if I don't really know you - just in case no one in your life has told you yet - and that if you want to keep going, by all means, KEEP going.  We are doing this for ourselves and at the end of the day, the only person we can control is the one we see looking back at us in the mirror.  It takes guts, dedication, bravery, and a lot of gumption to stand up for yourself and take charge of your health and nutrition in such a drastic way as this program.  I want to keep going and am trying to trust that things will feel better soon and these aches and pains are just some things my body has to work out for whatever reason.  Any advice would be appreciated though if anyone has had similar feelings :) Thanks again.

Like MeGA"gardener" said, it is possible that you caught some kind of bug -- certainly your symptoms sound flu-like.

I'm sorry you've gotten a negative response from people about this plan. Many people don't understand what the Whole30 really is, and just assume it's some super-restricted fad diet. There's really nothing about eating protein, vegetables, healthy fats, and occasional fruit that should make you feel physically ill.

While you're not feeling well, you may want to stick to easier to digest foods -- sweet potatoes, potatoes, and scrambled eggs might be good options, and if you have some broth to drink, that may help as well. I find kombucha, especially ones with ginger in them, help settle my tummy when I feel a little off -- but if you don't normally drink it, now may not be the time to try it, as it can be an acquired taste. For the stomach ache, ginger or peppermint tea might help. For the all over achiness, try a warm bath. Get lots of rest, drink plenty of fluids, and hopefully you will feel better soon.

And good for you for sticking to this, I know it's especially hard when you don't feel well and just want to dive into whatever your normal comfort foods are.

@cantknockhustle - most people aren't strong enough, determined enough, or committed enough to themselves to do what you are doing. Think of their negativeness as a reflection of where they are and what they believe themselves to be capable of. You are strong, self-confident and committed. You have the courage of your committments. You can do whatever you set your mind to, including this. And that is the truth.

^What Ruby said. I actually don't share the news of my diet or much in the way of the specific simply because I know how certain people will react. Instead, I'm just going about my thing. It's also nice to realize that my determination is self-realized - as in, "I got this." It's a good feeling. And the fact of the matter is people are commenting that they see a difference in me (I still don't but that's another story) so if they ask what I'm doing, I share because they can't argue with the results. I'm curious to see what my measurements look like at the end (I'm such a data person, I love data). If anyone talks negatively about what you are doing, refer back to your initial reasons for doing this and consider how much progress you've made in just 2 weeks!

@WholeSue....we neeeeed spreadsheets!  LOL!  Okay, maybe not.  Actually they are just on my mind right now so that's where I went when I saw "data".  My delightful employers (no sarcasm there, they really are awesome) asked me if I wanted to take some spreadsheets home and work on them for overtime.

Whaaaa...?!? 

Love 'em, but am I Bionic Woman?!  I mean we have chatted about my schedule here, but if you do the math, any dream of 8 hours of sleep means there are 2 hours in a work day in which I am not either driving or at work.  In those two hours, I need to do things like, oh, say...dress myself, feed myself, maybe cast a glance at the laundry basket.  And that whole feed myself thing just got a lot more complicated in the last 16 odd days. 

I would like to take this excess confidence in me and shift some your way cantknockhustle, these people believe in me a little too much and I'd like to share! 

All joking aside though, I have been on the edge of exactly what you are going through this last week.  I truly did get sick, and since that's not common for me, it immediately had people around me pointing to the program as the cause.  I was able to deflect most of this by saying, "Okay....name one thing that is strictly off program that I could eat right now that you feel would help me get better quicker."

I had to dodge around things like noodles (oh come on people, no one buys it's the NOODLES that help a cold, chicken and soup, I got two outta your three here) and gloss over orange juice by pointing out that wasn't technically out, I just couldn't down a gallon of it.  But really, not only did they not come up with an answer, I think it got them thinking about the whole program in a different light.  I don't know if a version of that question might help you deflect some of the criticism or not...but throwing my two cents in, and my support as well!

Just did my first weekly cook up! Lots of yummy food in the fridge :-)

Me too!

Roasted root veggies, baked spaghetti squash, roasted red pepper sauce (Whole30 p.316) and homemade mayo... yum! Chicken meatballs are next.  : )

@cantknockhustle... so appreciate you sharing your struggles here, knowing that it is a safe and supportive space. Wishing you well... glad to know I'm not the only one with some aches, pains and not-so-tiger-blood feelings here at halftime. We have completed 16 days, WOW. Let's stay the course and see what happens! They say some don't experience the "magic" until the last few days... (boy, I'm having a hard time not craving some of that magic right now though)...

@cantknockhustle... so appreciate you sharing your struggles here, knowing that it is a safe and supportive space. Wishing you well... glad to know I'm not the only one with some aches, pains and not-so-tiger-blood feelings here at halftime. We have completed 16 days, WOW. Let's stay the course and see what happens! They say some don't experience the "magic" until the last few days... (boy, I'm having a hard time not craving some of that magic right now though)...

me too! I feel you!  Let's keep going! :)

Thanks in advance!

It really sounds like you have the flu brewing...Hope you feel better soon! 

@Vozelle- Well done on the mayo! I'm planning to have a go at that myself but not sure it will work in a food processor rather than a blender....

Getting an afternoon slump about 2 hours after eating lunch, thinking perhaps not enough fat in there- could this be causing it? I know there's enough protein and veggies and I'm not getting hungry til dinner time so amount is right. Just every afternoon I could do with a nap!

Wow, I've missed a lot in a couple of days - darn work got in the way and I couldn't read/write much.  I feel so fortunate that I am not experiencing the struggles some others seem to be having.  I guess I was not a total sugar junkie - just the processed crap that was killing me.  I don't miss much in the way of food, I miss convenience and delivery!  As awful as that sounds, which to many of you probably isn't, processed, additive filled foods were and are my downfall.  Reading labels is now a way of life (and yes, having to wear cheaters in the grocery store is new to me) and when I see that damn sugar hiding with a hard to understand name, I get so irritated.  I am not a good planner, this is forcing me to be.  I have never had to go the grocery store so often and spend so much money in my adult life, but I'm not eating out at lunch or ordering pizza or other carry outs in for dinner.  It's a trade-off and as stubborn as I am it is taking the results I'm seeing in my blood sugar readings to convince me this is the plan I must follow! 

I have not experienced any "shunning" by my choices - I don't ask for anyone's permission to take care of myself and no one else should either.  My loose clothes and jewelry are just a by product of my fantastic blood sugar numbers and I want those to continue!  I have loads of health issues, I won't bore you all with the details, but I am convinced it is all as a result of horrible food choices and now I know they were ignorant choices as well.  It took this program to open my eyes and give me an easy to follow solution.  I may sound like I'm a zealot, but why the hell not? 

I can live like this, I can thrive like this - I know it's only 17 days, but look at the changes we've all made!  It certainly helps that I'm a major meat eater and have always loved it.  I love salads, but always loved when they were made by someone else!  No chance of that now.  Veggies, meh, but hey they're filling and very, very good for me! 

Sorry to go on and on, but when you reach my age and realize that everything you're dealing with was totally self-inflicted due to ignorance and poor choices, not necessarily gluttony (ha) it's kind of depressing and exhilarating at the same time!  This is from a woman who has lost and gained 30 lbs. more times than she can count, one who's done TOPS, Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, Seattle Sutton, liquid diets (900 calories a day in shakes) and even contemplated gastric sleeve surgery!  I've been there and done that!  If only I'd known this 20 years ago, I would have saved myself years of guilt, frustration and tears and probably avoided 90% of my current health issues. 

So my message is - do not give up - do not let others influence your decisions.  If you need to stay home a night instead of going out with others to bars that you know will not have good choices or parties without good choices then dammit stay home - what's most important?  Family parties can even be skipped, what if you were out of town or on vacation?  What if you're sick - come on people it's 30 days (only 13 to go now!)  I haven't been a hermit, but I definitely don't plan to put myself in a situation I can't handle.  I sat in a pizza restaurant the other night to watch my Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup - we had no power at home so we had to go out.  I ate a compliant dinner cooked on my gas grill before I joined my husband and son at the restaurant - had a glass of water and watched fantastic hockey fully satiated and able to shun the pizza!

Sorry for the soap box, hope this doesn't sound arrogant or boastful (oh hell, if it does too bad!).  Enjoy the next 13 days and I hope they are truly life-changing for all of us!

Happy Day 17 to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How is everyone doing??? I noticed yesterday that it is now a habit that I fill my plate up with my veggies first! ALSO, I made steamed rice for the family which I LOVED Pre W30 and I was not interested at all. Even the smell was kind of gross. haha.

In the beginning I dealt with being told "You're not going to finish the 30 days" or "That sounds ridiculous" but here I am.... feeling so much better, clothes are looser and I CANNOT WAIT for day 31 so I can tell my nay-sayers that I did complete the whole30 and where they can shove their negative comments. 

Before the w30 I pegged myself as someone with little/no self control and now I am feeling as though I am doing well in the w30....that is my NSV.

Before the w30 I pegged myself as someone with little/no self control and now I am feeling as though I am doing well in the w30....that is my NSV.

Yay for your NSV Sara82! See quote below RE> Tiger Blood and why you can now claim it!!

Here on Day 17, I am enjoying that sense of self-control and freedom (for the most part) from my snacking dragon. But I could use a little more energy, and more (ahem) regularity in my digestive process. On a fun note, I finally bought a julienne peeler and had ZOODLES for the first time! Love me some zoodles!!

For those of you craving TIGER BLOOD, I just want to share a quote from the Whole30 Timeline (it was helpful to remind myself that not everyone has the "light switch" experience of suddenly feeling like a superhero with pure high-octane awesomeness running through their veins, lol):

"For others, this Tiger Blood stage feels more like a real sense of self-efficacy. It doesn’t mean things are perfect (or even easy), but you’re proving to yourself that you can do this, things are getting better, and you’re seeing improvements (small or large) almost daily. Your energy is steadier, you’ve got a firmer handle on the cravings, and you’re experimenting with new, delicious foods.  You may notice that your ability to focus is keener, your body composition is changing, your moods are more stable, you’re stepping up your exercise, or you’re just plain happier these days...  Of course, this may not happen like magic at the halfway point. There are a huge number of factors that influence which benefits you see and when. If you’re one of those folks who has hit the halfway mark and isn’t seeing or feeling the dramatic changes others have reported*, know this: You’re not doing it wrong. If you began the Whole30 with a medical condition, a long and rooted history of unhealthy food habits, or a chronically stressful lifestyle, your “magic” may take longer to appear, and probably won’t be a “light switch” moment. Don’t stress about whether you’re feeling honest-to-goodness “Tiger Blood”—be patient, and be on the lookout for small, gradual improvements to keep you motivated. Slow and steady still wins this race."

Peeking in, not much time for my usual chatty post since all the work things are on fire today.  I spent the morning trying to reassemble my co-workers desk from two really bad iPhone pictures.  Still need to boot up her workstation and check her phones.  We had to remove everything down to the the thumbtacks so they could do some air conditioner repairs right over her desk.  I'm a nut about things needing to be "just so" on my desk so I did my best for her but...so...much....stuff. 

Totally enjoying the sass talk today, keep it up!  I think one of the keys to making this work for you, is um...making it work for YOU!  So whatever your approach to handling social situations and whatever your approach to handling nay-sayers...if it's getting you closer to 30....then that is all that matters.  Sharing it may give someone else an idea or a start on how to strengthen their own game.  We definitely all have a unique mix of challenges and advantages and inspirations, but those areas overlap with each other all the time and the full array of them, positive and negative both, make our group that much stronger and that much smarter and that much more prepared to help each other see it through! 

Had lunch with a friend today, he noticed my order was a little different - hamburger, no bun and "upgraded" to the mixed greens with red wine vinagerette instead of the house made chips, so he asked me what was up. Told him I was doing a 30 day plan where I focused on eating fruit, vegetables and proteins and eliminating things that I could have sensitivities to or that could cause potential inflammation in my system. I played it kinda slow and made him ask more questions....told him I feel great, no cravings, not hangry - my daughter can't believe this one - sleeping well...yes  - said I what I wasn't eating, and that after 30 days, I'll try those things again and see how they affect me. Some foods will stay, some will go, and it will be ok. Finally he asked the name of it, I think I may have piqued his interest about it. I tried to put the focus on doing something positive and taking control.

Honestly, I haven't felt deprived, I do feel strong, empowered and healthier. The only things I really would like is a glass of Bordeaux and a caramel with milk chocolate and sea salt, but they will be there later, no big deal.

oh yeah - went shopping with my daughter today - NSV!!! Victoria's Secret sale is going on, bought a 36 - been a long time since I wore that size. YEAH ME!!!

My friend offered to help me reintroduce wine next month. Support comes in all kinds of shapes and forms!

I'm having terrible afternoon slump! So tired! I'm not hungry and had a good lunch of Thai Green curry with chicken, Peppers and Sweet Potato about 2 hours ago. I usually only have one cup of coffee in the morning about 9 but I'm seriously considering a second today!! (If I could have a nap I would but I'm at work until 7 then out to watch a friend in a local theatre group). Although I wonder if anyone would notice if I just slept at my desk.....

I'm having terrible afternoon slump! So tired! I'm not hungry and had a good lunch of Thai Green curry with chicken, Peppers and Sweet Potato about 2 hours ago. I usually only have one cup of coffee in the morning about 9 but I'm seriously considering a second today!! (If I could have a nap I would but I'm at work until 7 then out to watch a friend in a local theatre group). Although I wonder if anyone would notice if I just slept at my desk.....

What did you have for meal one?

Archived