Start date June 1

Elissa W

Just popping in to say hi... I have been hit by the ickies like some of you- woke up at three am with an awfully sore throat and serious congestion.  Ughhhhh.  Now getting ready to go to the dentist.  Talk about a double whammy, lol!  I cancelled my shift volunteering at the library today as I don't think I can manage to drag myself around there for a few hours.  Going to come home to rest and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.  Being sick in the (almost) summer is the worst.

Day 18 folks and we are still going strong.  Congratulations to everyone on all the nsv's and for the variety of ways we have all devised to make this work for us!  Have a great Thursday   :)   

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had 3 Eggs Scrambled with Courgette and Red Onion with half an avocado

I wondered perhaps if you'd had fruit in the morning. Do you usually have starchy veg with meal two? I'm wondering if that may have caused the slump? Lots of folk seem to do better with starch in the evenings - just a thought. What was the fat in meal two?

Of course it could well be a lack of water - are you drinking half your body weight in ounces?

It could be the sweet potato, I do quite often have it at lunch but haven't looked for a correlation with tiredness. I drink quite a lot so don't think I am dehydrated, don't know about half my body weight in ounces? Not heard that one, I'm 154lb so would that mean I need to drink 77fl oz? 2.2L. I think I definitely have that every day. The fat in meal 2 was coconut milk in the curry (about half a can).

I'm also quite bunged up today- could be hay fever or a bit of a cold.

It could be the sweet potato, I do quite often have it at lunch but haven't looked for a correlation with tiredness. I drink quite a lot so don't think I am dehydrated, don't know about half my body weight in ounces? Not heard that one, I'm 154lb so would that mean I need to drink 77fl oz? 2.2L. I think I definitely have that every day. The fat in meal 2 was coconut milk in the curry (about half a can).

I'm also quite bunged up today- could be hay fever or a bit of a cold.

Yep, that'd be about right water wise.

If you're keeping a food log keep an eye on the days you're getting a slump and look back at what you've eaten earlier in the day. As I said some people fair better (& sleep better) when they keep their starches for meal three.

In the meantime just keep drinking water and the slump should pass - unless it's a cold in which case try some bone broth....

@vnewtnew...sorry to hear you are maybe coming down with something, been there done that and it can dial up the challenge a bit, hang in there!!!  That Throat Coat tea they suggested to me did help some if I could keep drinking it really hot and it didn't taste terrible, found it in the tea aisle at Target.  I added some lemon juice a couple days also. 

Just gotta say, I usually love rainy days.  You can't see it on my tiny pic here, but the hoodie my little toon is wearing has a raincloud on it.  Still, the forecast here is solid clouds/rain for as far as even the extended forecast goes.  It's like the universe is mocking my mini goal of getting some sun exposure/magnesium supply going.  If it keeps this up, I may....GASP...have to start exercising or something instead.  My plan to use "bask in the sun" as a health achievement is looking wan. 

Good morning, just wanted to pop in and wish everyone a great Day 18... I am having super weird digestive symptoms and didn't sleep deeply last night, but still going strong and keeping the faith. Yesterday I experienced some nice waves of mild euphoria and a general sense of calm, grounded peacefulness deep in my bones. Now if I could just get my system to regulate, I would be 100% stoked (PS Don't worry, I've been all over the Troubleshooting forum with this issue, getting great advice there).

Here's a helpful snippet from one of the Daily Emails regarding the phase we're in now (Week 3):

"... a word of support and encouragement: The Whole30 forum might be buzzing with stories of loose clothing and off-the-charts energy. We hope you experience those positive side effects this week, but remember, everyone’s Whole30 is different. For some people, it takes just a little longer than others, so patience, grasshopper! After 20, 30, 40 years of less than optimal food choices, you can’t really expect all your dreams to come true after just a few weeks. So even if you’re not experiencing as much “magic” as your compadres, keep your resolve! Ask for help from your friends and family, or your pals in the Whole30 forum. Stick to your plan and acknowledge all the positive things you’re doing for your body and mind by eating real food."

I'm so putting that up at my desk this week Vozelle...you totally made my day.  :D

"I'm not weird, I have special personal flair!"

I do tend to combat challenges with humor as much as possible, sometimes I worry that I come across as too flip and casual when I'm actually taking it seriously.  I'm just pretty much incapable of not trying to find a way to keep it light it's how I deal with stress and if it helps someone else that's so much bonus!  

I agree, I think we have a really motivated group with a great attitude, all start dates should be so lucky! 

Day 18, feeling good but so tired because I am not sleeping well, which is unusual for me. It could be down to work stress or it could be the new way of eating.

On the bright side my vision is back to normal, my injury is far less painful and I have looser clothes.

How exciting to be chocolate free for over 2 weeks!

Day 18, feeling good but so tired because I am not sleeping well, which is unusual for me. It could be down to work stress or it could be the new way of eating.

On the bright side my vision is back to normal, my injury is far less painful and I have looser clothes.

How exciting to be chocolate free for over 2 weeks!

Try a compliant magnesium supplement to help with sleep... go for magnesium citrate rather than magnesium oxide as it's more easily absorbed.

Eating fruit will certainly keep any sugar cravings alive, and may well cause low energy if you're eating it on it's own. And nuts can cause skin out-breaks, as can the BPA used in the lining of the tins of certain coconut milk...

Can you post a few days worth of your food/liquid intake along with activity/sleep/stress levels to see if there's anything we can tweak to make things better for you?

Hello jmcbn,

This is what I have been eating this week

Mon;

B: Monkey salad with 2 chicken sausages 

L: Sauteed veggies and beef

D: Spicy Chicken and veggie soup, 2 dried prunes

Tues

B Scrabbled eggs with veggies and a small potato 

L: Chicken with sauteed spinach, side salad, 1 banana

D: Salad with canned salmon

Wed

B green beans with backed sweet potato (Because I am so tied of eggs)

L: salad with canned salmon, strawberries

D: Turkey meat balls with almond sauce and cauliflower mash (from the book)

Thur

B: Sauteed beef and potato

L: Steak pieces with sauteed veggies, banana

D: I will eat Turkey meat balls with almond sauce and cauliflower mash 

Im pretty sure i need to cut out all the fruit I am eating. I will adjust my meals to avoid fruit.

I am sleeping about 6 hours but I have been under a lot of stress and haven't been able to go to the gym because I have been sick.

I probably need to sweat it out.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you in advance

Hey all!

Been following along with you guys since day 1. Little update on where I'm at...

-vegetarian so eggs are my BFF

-runs have FINALLY improved

-my energy comes & goes

-seems to be at its highest in the late afternoons & evenings which is strange. Before the Whole30, it was always strongest in the mornings. Anyone else experiencing this?

-Loving how "light" I feel

-Challenges: 1. still working on being able to eat full templates meals ALL 3 meals but major improvements each day(I was SO a 5-6 small meals a day person)2.kind of tired of cooking & washing dishes(gonna try eating out at a new restaurant this weekend called Pure, 3. Weekend snacking.

Anyone continuing past our 30 and joining the official Whole30 starting July 1?

Hi tbaa,

I am continuing, but only going to July 15.  That will give me a whole45.  We have our yearly camp vacation scheduled for July 26, so I wanted to do a couple of reintros before we head out.  I will probably be back in September for another round though.  I have lots of food sensitivities and I am having to cut things out as I go along so I'm thinking my body is going to need much more time to heal.  Don't know what I'll do without my June 1 start date family, though  :(  :(

Hello jmcbn,

Mon;

Tues

Wed

Thur

Im pretty sure i need to cut out all the fruit I am eating. I will adjust my meals to avoid fruit.

I am sleeping about 6 hours but I have been under a lot of stress and haven't been able to go to the gym because I have been sick.

Thank you in advance

You may want to add bone broth it will heal your insides

Jmcbn will reply again soon

Just popping in to say hi... I have been hit by the ickies like some of you- woke up at three am with an awfully sore throat and serious congestion.  Ughhhhh.  Now getting ready to go to the dentist.  Talk about a double whammy, lol!  I cancelled my shift volunteering at the library today as I don't think I can manage to drag myself around there for a few hours.  Going to come home to rest and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.  Being sick in the (almost) summer is the worst.

Day 18 folks and we are still going strong.  Congratulations to everyone on all the nsv's and for the variety of ways we have all devised to make this work for us!  Have a great Thursday   :)   

Feel better!!

@ tbaa... I may continue past our 30. I'll be on a long camping trip July 10-20, so if I can figure out how to maintain compliant meals while I'm away, I'm IN. I like the idea of participating in the "official" July 1st group!  : )

I'm heading off for a weekend getaway to the mountains tomorrow. Packing and prepping foods right now... I guess that will be my "test run" for the July trip. Frittata, precooked sausages, canned fish, hard boiled eggs, and a variety of pre-prepped veggies are my friends.

Have a great weekend everyone!

• Moderators

Hello jmcbn,

Mon;

Tues

Wed

Thur

Thank you in advance

Hi, Nanda.

It's not that you have to avoid fruit, and you don't really seem to be eating too much fruit (unless your serving sizes are really big), but you're not really getting enough vegetables. Always make sure you get plenty of vegetables, and think of fruit as kind of a bonus thing that you have sometimes. Or if you like a little fruit in your salad, that's fine, just focus on the vegetables first. Try to make all your meals match the meal template: 1-2 palm-size pieces of protein, 1-2 thumb-sized portions of fat, and a bunch of veggies, occasionally some fruit.

You're not really listing fats with most of these meals -- don't be afraid of the fat, it's what helps you stay satisfied between meals. You can add ghee or coconut oil or olive oil over your cooked vegetables, you can have coconut flakes (I love these toasted and sprinkled over vegetables), olives. Mayo is pretty much amazing on everything, in my opinion, or if you prefer something not creamy, try a chimichurri sauce drizzled over vegetables or meat. I even found some lemon-infused olive oil at the store, and have drizzled that over just about everything, because it's really easy and really tasty. 

Being sick is definitely going to affect the results you're seeing, so don't compare yourself to how other people are doing on their W30, your body is probably focused on healing, so it makes sense you're not necessarily going to have a whole lot of extra energy. You could try having a little more starchy vegetables for a while and see if that helps. And when you do feel better and get back to working out, you may need to make adjustments as far as having pre- and post-workout meals, and you may need to play with the amount of starchy vegetables that help you feel your best at that time too. 

Thanks for the heads up on the official Whole30, I had read something recently about those and thought it sounded like a smart time to do one but totally missed one being announced.

I will have to think about it.  I won't commit to something I don't absolutely think I could do.  I thought of this though when vnewtnew mentioned doing one later this year but missing this group....I can only speak for myself, but I am following this topic which means I get email alerts when someone posts to it.  I don't plan to un-follow it, and if others stay "subscribed" as well, someone will probably always see a shout out that you plan to do another round and you may have a least one or two familiar faces join you.  At the very least, if I knew one of our group was doing one I would pop in and cheer for you! 

I'm not ruling out doing July, though I am anxious to play around with adding some things and determine what elements will work for me long term.  The constant meal consciousness is the hardest part, but I feel like that needs to be hard until it's not hard or I haven't really "got it" yet.  I also freely admit I might be more likely to do a Whole 30 + a Whole 30 rather than counting it as 60 days straight, taking one day off in between more to weigh in than out of any desire for a treat.  I'm not super focused on losing weight, and I'm not overly worried that I've gained or anything crazy like that...but I want to make sure that what I've been doing is working in a reasonable way.  Maybe that's a bad idea for all the same reasons as not weighing during the Whole 30.  So I'm taking time to consider the pro's and con's before I commit.  It could be that I compromise with just another set of selfies and plow through.

Finding time for exercise is the primary reason I would be interested in trying another month while also upping the stakes for myself.  I just still don't have a firm grip on what that would be.  We used to have a workout room at the office, before we moved in April, and I could do a brisk walk on the treadmill without needing a full wardrobe change, but that meant giving up my lunch break.  No big deal before Whole30 as I was happy to eat at my desk, but now that concept is pretty much against the spirit of taking time to eat without distractions.  I have a feeling if it were really a question of either/or, exercise might nudge out one distracted meal but I'm looking for something that honors both.  It's nothing on the weekends, but during the week it's going to mean sacrificing something and that something would probably be sleep.    I have a treadmill at home which I use on the weekends, mostly in the winter, and everything I need for a number of "at home" yoga sessions.  20-30 minutes of either of those would be an added element without slashing my sleep budget too deeply.  I've been sleeping in until 7:00 this week and still managing to get breakfast made and be at work, so dialing back to 6:30 for a sun salute or morning wake-up walk would be better than no exercise at all. 

And the new office may be lacking a gym, but it also came equipped with four flights of stairs.  The higher ups considered that a fair trade-off.  I just squinted at them incredulously. 

Speaking of incredulous, after I say all of the above about considering a commitment to another thirty days, I flip over to check our horoscope and it says:

You may have so many things on your plate today that you feel weary before you even begin your first task. Although it's not easy to establish a sustainable pace, getting started is half the battle now. Don't waste precious time worrying about the possibility of letting someone down because you aren't sure you can hold up your end of the bargain. Just keep pushing forward; you could be happily surprised at the end of the day when you look back and see how much ground you actually covered.

Somebody is throwing the gauntlet down!!!!

Well, this is my 3rd time posting since we started on this journey on June 1st, I ha e been following though....couple of days ago I read someone wanted to continue into July? I am certainly considering it! This month has been really crazy for me (a divorce finalization, vacation with my kids...) But against all odds I managed to stay compliant through it all...and I have to say, I do feel better...maybe not exactly feeling my Tiger Blood, but I feel empowered, if that's the word am looking for....what I really want to accomplish by continuing with this into July is to get the meal planning system down pat, and incorporate a more regular exercise routine, so that when August comes and school starts again I can just autopilot through it....lots of folks have been sick I see...wishing everyone a speedy recovery....hang in there!

I won't be able to continue into July. We're going on a cruise in early August, and I want to do a good reintro before that happens, as I don't want to do something foolish that could spoil the cruise, so I need to know what my problem areas are before then. However, I am thinking of doing another W30 after we get back from the cruise. There is a lot about W30 that I like, and want to keep as part of my lifestyle choices, but figuring out how to keep it sustainable is where I still have learning to do. We are working on it, though. DH and I discussed working on breakfast menus together this morning and a rotation for who cooks on what days. So far, he only cooks when boiled eggs are on the menu, but he is capable of much more than that (he has been known to cook gourmet when the spirit moves him, and he does all of our grilling, as well). He just needs a plan so he knows what to do when.  :)

Hi everyone...thanks for the well wishes concerning my cold.  Still feeling crummy, but I am going to give the throat coat tea a try.  I've been gargling with salt water, and that definitely helps, but I do want something soothing.

@crimsann- I am subscribed too and I think staying subscribed and posting when we need to is a great plan.  I was really feeling bummed that I would be going on without all my wonderful W30 friends.  It's so much better not going this alone.  My husband is totally supportive, but refuses to do it bc it's so restrictive and I keep saying "well you see me doing it, obviously it's not impossible", but everyone has their own comfort level and I think he's really afraid of giving up the sugar.  It has to be that bc he eats everything I make (except spinach, lol) and he enjoys it.  It also would be cool to be able to post if you're just struggling with cravings or a few bad days off plan.  We could continue to support each other while we're Riding Our Own Bikes  :)

How is everyone doing today???

It's so exciting to hear about everyone's progress and newly formed ways to handle life. It really helps to be able to turn here and see that others are feeling what I do (or not!). I am considering starting a Whole30 in July (to keep going for Whole60) but I really want just one glass of wine before I start? if you are continuing in July, will you take a "break" or just go straight through? My birthday is in August and I'd love to be able to give myself the gift of health and a slayed sugar dragon, so I'm considering going through July.

Archived