Start date June 1

Elissa W

@abiswarbrick...I had to giggle when I saw your post about cake, one of my close friends emailed me yesterday that she dreamed I was on a cooking show where they give you random ingredients and you have to make something out of them.  One of my assigned ingredients was squid ink and I ended up making a cake and using it in the frosting.

I thanked her for sharing and commented that I suddenly found any lingering craving for cake mysteriously quashed!  LOL! 

Hopefully your celebratory cake will be entirely fish free.

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lostincolo,

Nice to meet you!  I am planning another W30 in August or September myself.  I've been at this for a while, but I still have some food allergy/sensitivity issues to nail down.  I also want more time to cement the good habits I'm learning.  Hope to see you then, too!

Yeah... I agree that the accountability of this group is huge, even though I don't reply often, I always read.

Those of you looking to add in the exercise piece. These tips might help or encourage.

1. It does NOT have to be "all or nothing". 5 minutes still gets you moving. For example, step away from your desk, set a timer and GO.. Squats,push ups, lunges, planks, "butt crucnhes"(standing position lift and push leg back while tightening your rear-LOL but it works), stretch & then repeat. OR strive for getting up just 5 minutes earlier then 10, then 15, and  so on and so forth. NO matter what...

2. Start where you are. Rome wasn't built in a day. Take your time and do what you can when you can. But...

3. Be sure to make a plan. Just like with our eating, You set yourself up for failure by just leaving it to happenstance. So...

4. Find and seek ways to add it into your life. Make it your lifestyle to park further away, take the stairs, do calf raises while waiting in line, sitting up straight(engaging your core), racing & actively playing with your kiddos and grandkids. Because...

5. It all adds up. All the little things you do to consciously move your body accumulates to much. Remember...

It's the sum total of ALL your efforts. You CAN do this-for YOU!

MeGA"gardener" and ShannonM816 thank you for the suggestions! I will definitely make those changes/additions.

I use most of the fat when I am cooking my meals that's why I didnt list them or in my dressings. I stay pretty satisfied with my meals.

The fruits are eaten with my meals not in between. I usually do a serving of fruit.

I probably should have been more specific about the veggies and quantities I eat. I eat a lot of veggies. They are my favorite part. 

I dont eat a lot of starchy veggies but I will include that to see if I feel a little better.

Sounds like there are a few July birthdays. Mine is the 9th, and having cheesecake for my birthday is another motivating factor for not continuing on. The only thing is, not wanting to reintro sugar, dairy, and wheat all in one fell swoop. Might have DH do a crust with almond flour just to avoid the wheat (yes, I checked, there is wheat in graham crackers). 

@Nanda - just a note that most of the fat that you use for cooking stays in the pan, so the idea is to add additional fat to your meal.  :)

Eek!  Just realized it's Friday afternoon and someone doesn't have her meal plan finished.  ::looks guilty:: 

I did want to share though for those of you who mysteriously love balsamic vinegar, that I'm sticking a toe in on that.  (Perhaps I should say I'm hopping on the bandwagon, the imagery of sticking toes in vinegar being less than savory.)  I found a recipe in Clean Eating for Balsamic Chicken which basically comes down to they sauteed some onion in olive oil, then added about 1 lb chicken breast and 2 Tbsp of balsamic and a sprinkle of dried thyme (though seriously why not fresh there as this was their special issue on cooking in season featuring 75 farm-fresh recipes?)  That got cooked down until the chicken was done and then...um, done!  The photo made it look like a sort of blackened bbq and somehow that hit my imagination as probably being very similar in taste.  It's been awhile since I've had balsamic in any quantity though so I may be off on imagining it that way.  To me, it sounded like a great "eat it hot tonight, pack it cold on salad tomorrow" dish. 

Reminding self, two meals down does not yet warrant the "touchdown!" gesture you just made to the complete confusion of all your co-workers. 

@crimsann balsamic chicken sounds fabulous! I roasted some Brussel sprouts tossed in balsamic vinegar this week and it was a great hint of flavor.

I did a dance of joy this morning upon realizing that my hot sauce is compliant. It's the little things :)

Then I went to Whole Foods and spent my whole paycheck...had soo many random food ideas and kept adding stuff to my cart! I bought some watermelon to cut up and freeze into "ice cubes" to add to my sparkling water for a nice summery treat (since it's 100 degrees here).

I like that I continue to be excited about meal planning and meal prep. And I keep telling myself that the grocery bill is going up, but my eat-out expense column is down to $0 for the month.

Day 20 has involved navigating through an event (which had nothing remotely compliant to eat) and coping with a sore throat (I seem to have joined that club!).

I have chosen to have a very hot curry for dinner, with mixed leaves instead of rice, and the intense spices and garlic have certainly numbed the pain for a while.

I agree with Efab that some of the shopping items are pricey, but I have also found that I am not buying food out and that saves a lot of money. I don't think the value of good food is recognised here in the UK, even though we have fabulous choice.

Happy weekend everyone.

I hope everyone is doing well this weekend.  I just found out yesterday that one of the drinks that I had being drinking (only 3)  and thought was compliant wasn't - I had it sparingly for when I just couldn't drink any more water.  Even though I slipped up I am going to continue as I didn't.  I know this is not the right thing to do, but I have worked so hard on keeping compliant - and not giving in when I have had to decorate cupcakes for my neighbor or making a 6 layer cake for my son's birthday.  I also stepped on the scale and have only lost 3 lbs (the main reason for trying the Whole30 was to lose weight).  I am just in the dumps about the non-compliant drinks and really not losing any weight.  Prior to the drinks and going on the scale I was planning on continuing to eat this way, but if I am going through all the prep and cost of food and not getting anything out of it, I don't know.  I am also experiencing joint pain this morning.  Does this work for everyone?  I have been trying to think of what I have gotten out of it so far and the one thing that I can think about is that I am not hungry in between meals - which is a great thing but I also think, I am eating too much during the meal?  I am just at a loss on what to do...

• Moderators

I hope everyone is doing well this weekend. I just found out yesterday that one of the drinks that I had being drinking (only 3) and thought was compliant wasn't - I had it sparingly for when I just couldn't drink any more water. Even though I slipped up I am going to continue as I didn't. I know this is not the right thing to do, but I have worked so hard on keeping compliant - and not giving in when I have had to decorate cupcakes for my neighbor or making a 6 layer cake for my son's birthday. I also stepped on the scale and have only lost 3 lbs (the main reason for trying the Whole30 was to lose weight). I am just in the dumps about the non-compliant drinks and really not losing any weight. Prior to the drinks and going on the scale I was planning on continuing to eat this way, but if I am going through all the prep and cost of food and not getting anything out of it, I don't know. I am also experiencing joint pain this morning. Does this work for everyone? I have been trying to think of what I have gotten out of it so far and the one thing that I can think about is that I am not hungry in between meals - which is a great thing but I also think, I am eating too much during the meal? I am just at a loss on what to do...

There's a reason that it's a rule to stay off the scale. Weight can fluctuate day to day, and even within the same day, based on things like how hydrated you are, what you've eaten, whether you've had a bm that day.

There's also the fact that whole30 is not a weight loss program. It is about getting healthy. It is not focused on starving yourself to be thin, it is focused on eating plenty of healthy, nutrient dense foods so that your body can function at its very best.

Now let's talk about those three pounds. You've been doing whole30 for about three weeks. You've lost a pound a week. That is a fine and healthy rate of weight loss. It's not the kind of weight loss that makes headlines on the magazines you see while you wait in line at the grocery store, but those headlines are for programs whose sole focus is on getting you skinny as fast as possible with little regard for your long term health, either physical or mental. They are based on the lie that if you just get skinny enough, you will automatically be healthy and happy, and that's a bunch of bull doo-doo designed to sell you magazines and weight loss products.

Stay off the scale, eat healthy, yummy food, exercise some, and live your life. The weight loss will happen in it's own time.

Hey all, happy weekend!  Yesterday I spent the day with my 3 sisters and my daughter.  We had lunch in the city (Chicago) and I couldn't touch my "side salad" to my burger with no cheese or bun because I didn't know what was on it!  They all started in on some liquid dinner (icy cold beer) and I walked over to Mariano's and made myself a beautiful compliant salad since I couldn't drink my dinner.  Then the search started for balsamic vinegar that didn't contain any additives and with naturally occurring sulfites!  That took about 20 minutes of having my daughter read the ingredients because the print was too small!  I made my first balsamic/olive oil dressing and it was delicious!  I felt so smug having had a very healthy, Whole30 compliant dinner while they enjoyed their refreshments!  We did have a blast though, nothing like the 4 of us getting together and getting silly with Dubsmash - what a hoot!  Take your mind off your eating and download the app - it is an absolute riot.  We spent hours laughing until we hurt (which is also a great way to burn some calories).  

Now that we're on the other side of the Whole30, I'm getting excited and experiencing some trepidation.  I'm in this to get healthy and lose weight.  I know I've lost, but I haven't weighed myself and I won't.  As I've said in previous posts, my blood sugar readings are beyond amazing and it's all because of eating healthy.  I'm also finding I just don't need as much - which for me is fabulous!  

Once I hit 30 I am not going to splurge, I will introduce some things, but I am going to try and keep with natural carbs and no added sugar.  I will continue to shop and buy compliant foods - no sense getting back on the roller coaster.  Although I will not technically be doing the Whole30, I will definitely not be back to the Wrong365!  

Have a wonderful rest of your weekend.  I hope everyone not feeling well gets better and everyone starting to feel like they're losing focus finds it again. Only 9 more days to go (actually, I have the rest of my life to go, but that's just me).  

ShannonM816 - thanks for responding.  I totally understand about not getting on the scale and I understand 3 lbs is fine to lose.  I am not focusing on starving myself in any way - it is just that I have over 80 lbs to lose and to hear about all the people losing around 10 lbs in the first 30, I am disappointed.  I saw the Whole 30 as a way to eat the right food and was interested to get rid of the sugar cravings - like starting over.  Up until I found the Whole 30 I had no motivation to start eating right.  I was just hoping that I would see a little more.  So I am going to take your advice and stay of the scale and eat healthy food and see what happens.

Has anyone else been fine up to this point but is only now experiencing the tiredness described by others in the first few days? I feel like I'm running on empty and for the first time since beginning I'm starting to have difficulty in avoiding bread etc. I'm not sure if I've maybe got a little bug or the side effects have finally caught up with me. My family and friends have been really supportive of my decision to do the whole 30, gone out of their way to accommodate me, but a few separate people have said this week that they are worried about me, that I'm not my usual self and seem tired and withdrawn, I am also getting really emotional over the slightest things. I'm making sure to use the template for meals and eating a good variety of veg, avoiding starch at meal 2 as advised. Any ideas?

Has anyone else been fine up to this point but is only now experiencing the tiredness described by others in the first few days? I feel like I'm running on empty and for the first time since beginning I'm starting to have difficulty in avoiding bread etc. I'm not sure if I've maybe got a little bug or the side effects have finally caught up with me. My family and friends have been really supportive of my decision to do the whole 30, gone out of their way to accommodate me, but a few separate people have said this week that they are worried about me, that I'm not my usual self and seem tired and withdrawn, I am also getting really emotional over the slightest things. I'm making sure to use the template for meals and eating a good variety of veg, avoiding starch at meal 2 as advised. Any ideas?

Hi!  I'm not an expert or whole30 moderator as this is my first whole30, however, I wanted to jump in because I started listening to a podcast recommended from one of the daily whole30 emails I received - it's Robb Wolf and he talks about paleo diets.  Obviously, whole30 is a modification of the traditional paleo diet, but the program certainly uses aspects of it as its springboard.  Anyway, the reason I bring this up is because during a podcast, Robb talks about the fact that if people are transitioning their intake to a strictly paleo diet, they should expect 3 to 4 weeks of feeling somewhat tired/different/not setting PR's in the gym/etc.  He said this is true because our bodies need to adjust to getting our energy from our higher "good" fat content and not from our previously higher carbohydrate sources.  This made me feel better because I've had days (even just yesterday) when I am eating basically the same thing I did the day before or week prior and I feel way more lethargic, especially at the gym.  I've always been a relatively healthy eater, especially in the last few years when I started lifting and counting my macros every day so I was a bit disappointed to have some of the struggles I've been having on whole 30.  I'm a borderline obsessive (I just love to do it) gym-goer and weight lifter so this has been a struggle at times, however, Robb's words reminded me even if we're coming toward the tail end (can you believe it?!) of our 30 days, we are still only about 3 weeks into this shift for our bodies of adjusting to pulling our energy from fat sources vs. carbs.  It may take more time to fully adjust and feel the true benefits of the program, i.e., hopefully what they call "tiger blood" haha.  Anyway just some thoughts!  Have a good day!

Hi - yes, definitely.  I had a hard 2nd week, then started to feel better, and NOW, yesterday and today, am super emotional, no energy, withdrawn, avoiding social situations and tired.  Things just feel off.  I saw the post about the Paleo diet and the 3-4 weeks of not feeling great.  That's hopeful.  Anyway, no, you are not alone!  Thanks for posting because I was starting to doubt the process, and your post (plus response) helped encourage me.

• Moderators

I'm not sure who said avoid starch at meal 2, but that's not usually a recommendation. Some people feel better avoiding starchy vegetables in meal one, but others feel having them helps them stay full and they feel better with them. Some people feel they sleep better if they have starchy vegetables in their final meal of the day and therefore save their starchy vegetable servings for then. We don't really say you have to eat them or not eat them at any particular meal, only that most people feel best if they have at least a serving a day. Some people need more than that -- people who are very active, people who are prone to depression or anxiety, women who are pregnant or breast feeding, and women in the week or so leading up to their period.

And that leads me to this question -- Is there any chance this is pms week for you? During the week or so leading up to your period, most women find themselves hungrier than normal and craving carbs. That's not a bad thing, it's just how our bodies work. There's some explanation of it in this thread.

Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement, I feel reassured that I am not alone in feeling like this. I have followed paleo before and felt good on it, but that was 80/20 not 100%, I slipped off gradually over the years and am doing this in order to get back into the habit of eating in a way that makes me feel good.

Shannon - It was on this thread when I posted about having an afternoon slump that I was advised to try avoiding starch at meal 2.

It's not pms as I had my period last week, we are trying to get pregnant at the moment and awaiting more tests so do have some anxiety going on over that, I'm hoping that this improvement in eating will help with that too.

Shaming myself for almost letting a day slip past without checking in though technically I still have a few minutes left in my time zone in which to qualify.  Whew!

Just a busy day, did my grocery shopping early and ran some errands...nothing special and I got a lot done. 

I'm sorry to hear some of you are really struggling so close to the end, I think we all thought it was going to be a smooth ride into the final countdown having made it so far already.  Looking at the timeline though, I think it's pretty much expected that not all the struggles happen in the first 10 days, so take heart from that.  This is expected, if certainly discouraging.  I do think hearing some of these comments today though really makes me firm in my decision not to weigh in between June and July if I carry on for another thirty days.  I really don't want the numbers to drive my decision to keep eating good food.  Sounds simplistic, but I keep looking at my goals from when I started this and there is a reason I didn't write lose weight as one of them.  I also know I've never once gone into a diet with the plan being to eat really good things, it's always been to eat a whole lot less or see how long I could live on the blandest foods ever, and expecting results as "good/quick" on a plan that isn't intended as a diet is missing the point.  I may have to reset my expectations every single day until I'm living up to my goals and not dwelling on my reflection, but I've got it in me to do that.  This has been driven home to me a couple times as people who know some of what I'm doing have started to ask "how much have you lost?" which is so the wrong question and I've been happy not to have to answer it in the way they expect.

I still haven't decided what to do about July, but I suspect I won't really hit my wall until I've exhausted all of the things I wanted to explore food-wise.  I'm glad it's been an adventure so far and that I've found some enjoyment in the creativity involved in putting together great, interesting, and fresh meals.  I've worked hard on adding different elements each week, pushed some boundaries, but there are only so many things I can add into the mix right now and the challenges goes up each week.  Another 4-5 weeks will really test not only my resolve but my imagination.  Could be 30 days is letting myself off too easy on that front at least. 

Just some thoughts...I'm not sure anyone is much in the mood for verbal pom-poms this weekend, but I think even if you are really down right now pushing through to make it to 30 days means you take away something.  Maybe not exactly what you hoped for or wanted most, but you take away the bone deep knowledge that you CAN stick to something for 30 days even if it's wildly hard.  And that is crazy good.     

And also, I can write an entire post with only one exclamation point. 

What?!?!  No way!!!!  Nothing could bring me to that!  Shake it off, shake it off, we are on the launch pad and can start all that fun T-minus 9 stuff (in about 15 minutes actually.)  I must go check off my Day 20 before they don't give me credit or something, but I've got your back June One's even if that means I have to stay back there to keep pushing you while you nap a little.  ;)

I don't know if this will be encouraging for anyone else, but I tried something I was scared of...the Nom Nom Paleo Kalua Pig in the pressure cooker (complete with head of cabbage cooked in the broth) and it

was

AMAZING.

I highly recommend it to anyone.

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/111934821818/pressure-cooker-kalua-pig

It came out great, and I was, once again, shown that I can care for and feed myself. (A fact I doubt on a daily basis.)

• Moderators

Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement, I feel reassured that I am not alone in feeling like this. I have followed paleo before and felt good on it, but that was 80/20 not 100%, I slipped off gradually over the years and am doing this in order to get back into the habit of eating in a way that makes me feel good.

Shannon - It was on this thread when I posted about having an afternoon slump that I was advised to try avoiding starch at meal 2.

It's not pms as I had my period last week, we are trying to get pregnant at the moment and awaiting more tests so do have some anxiety going on over that, I'm hoping that this improvement in eating will help with that too.

Okay, I went back and looked and can see why the no starches at meal2 was suggested as something to try. My bad, I can't seem to keep up with all the posts.

I'm sorry I don't have any better suggestions for you. I hope you figure out what works best for you.

Thanks for sharing this, having read through all the responses I feel much better about how I am feeling at the moment. Last night I was offered the chance for a lovely evening walk and went along, but was so tired part of me was wanting to be at home. The sore throat isn't helping. I have non compliant food in the house for the rest of the family and I found myself peering into the pantry looking for something different to eat and was almost tempted by the oat cakes that used to be my firm friends. I am still having to watch out for mindless eating, I was spooning honey for one of the family and the spoon nearly got to my mouth, luckily I stopped myself! I am finding that my meal 2 salad needs to have some starch in the form of cold new potato or beetroot in order to keep me satisfied until dinner. I also like to have small portions of several proteins rather than a lot of one.

I can understand people voicing concern, as we have been brought up on and taught about the standard food triangle with starchy carbohydrates at the bottom. It is hard for anyone who has not studied the paleo/primal diet and whole 30 to understand how this new pattern of eating can provide enough energy.

Thank goodness for this forum and like minded people.

Hope your energy improves over the next week.

Archived